• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Foffy

Banned
So what's the reason for these low res hud elements in emulated Cube/Wii games, I know that the original materials are sub hd, but I would think someone would have upscaled the hud elements by now. Or is it some technical barrier with how hud is drawn? Ugly huds are pretty much only reason stopping me playing these old classics with Dolphin.

2D stuff doesn't scale as well as 3D. It's the reason for visual filters like the HQX ones exist. Scaling up 2D only makes the 2D look worse, in many cases, and Dolphin doesn't have external filter support like 16-bit emulators do.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's the reason for these low res hud elements in emulated Cube/Wii games, I know that the original materials are sub hd, but I would think someone would have upscaled the hud elements by now. Or is it some technical barrier with how hud is drawn? Ugly huds are pretty much only reason stopping me playing these old classics with Dolphin.

The reason is like you say, the reason they're low res is because they are low resolution ui elements. From what I understand there are actually some "hd" hud mods out there but I never bothered to try, off the cuff I know of at least one and it was a mod for Super Mario Sunshine.

Lettuce

Whats the best setting for F-ZERO GX??, seems to run @60fps until i start a race and drops to like 20fps and loads of sound stuttering?

coopolon

Is there any way to get pro logic 2 out of dolphin over hdmi? Audio is going from 5870 via hdmi. Playing xenoblade so using lle. My receiver can definitely see pro logic 2 (it gets it fine from Wii over component.)

solarus

So I finally got my 7870.

sweetbabyjesusozub3.png

I'M GONNA CRY

It's perfect. Looks perfect, plays perfect. Time for another Wind Waker playthrough. God bless you Dolphin.

I am so jealous right now. My PC's q6600 cpu is a bottleneck stopping me from using dolphin seriously :/

sorry for the DP...

How to get Project:M to work correctly in Dolphin:

1. Download all required files here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q19be7ypwmno4k1 (files used in tutorial contained in the "Project M Setup Files" folder)

2. Follow the video Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP03UBBcqvw&list=LL5qKrv8YuOYAz4ABVIgutBw

NOTE- If your game won't let you save:
*From Dolphin revision 3.0-460 onward, the game will not use, as well as refuse to make a save. This happens because the location the emulator searches for the save changes from /user/wii/title/00010000/52534245/data/ to just /user/Wii/.

To fix this, copy the contents of the "data" folder to /User/Wii/. I have provided a 100% complete save withing the /User/Wii/ folder of my Dolphin revision, copy that if you like."

*This save issue may also be fixed later as new revisions come out.*

Anyone have any luck with Fire Emblem POR? The latest revisions run the game great besides the fog glitch. If you roll back to 3.0-645 the fog works but the rest of the game runs slower with more glitches as well as audio pops and beeps even with LLE.

You can use that "Disable fog" hack in the recent revisions but the effect when working right adds a nice look to the game. Plus I think later in the game the fog is used as "fog of war" and without it the game will loose some difficulty.

IrishNinja

damn @ that WW shot.

are we at the point where my i5 760 (still underclocked at 2.8), 6870 & 4GB can run that well? please say yes, i know i prolly gotta OC it first though

dave_m123

Guys,

Is there a setting you should use to have a game run at its original speed, but at say 60fps i.e. be smoother but playable? Tried mario sunshine and it ran way to fast.

nOoblet16

Ok so the last time I tried metroid prime trilogy in Dolphin it never worked, apparently something to do with Dolphin not being able to find the .exe files because the launcher for all three games was from a menu once you run the game.

What I want to know is, has there been a fix for this ?

Ok so the last time I tried metroid prime trilogy in Dolphin it never worked, apparently something to do with Dolphin not being able to find the .exe files because the launcher for all three games was from a menu once you run the game.

I may be wrong on this but isn't there a kind of code that let's you start one of the three games right away?

ss_lemonade

Hey guys, I could do with some advice, I'm thinking of building a PC especially for some Dolphin action, the game that really makes me want to do it is F-Zero GX.

My Current PC can manage 60fps in practice mode, but struggles to go beyond 30-40 in a grand prix race.

What are the most important components for Dolphin to Consider, from what I understand the CPU is the thing doing the bulk of the work here, any particular CPU I could look at (Dual core?)
I think F-Zero just runs bad on all setups at the moment. Well, I'm not really sure but it certainly does on mine as well and I never got around to finding a fix for the framerate

coopolon

There are ways to get around the problem as described here

Still seems like a headache to me though.

Foffy

Banned
I figured I'd try asking here, even though I've barely gotten any help from you guys so far. I have no idea what my issues with Dolphin and using actual Wii controllers is, but I can only guess and maybe assume it's the Bluetooth dongle I have. I have a Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter Version 4.0 with WIDCOMM drivers for it. I believe it might be the dongle as it can help sync up the controllers, Dolphin does not have the ability of using or recognizing any input on them, and using other stacking drivers like the Toshiba Stack, it actually doesn't even recognize my dongle as even being on. So, if any of you guys can recommend the dongles you use for play and can verify they work in Dolphin, that would be wonderful. I'm sort of peeved that I really build up a good rig so that I can play all of the games I wanted and there's an entire library I wanted to play at HD levels just sitting there.

coopolon

I figured I'd try asking here, even though I've barely gotten any help from you guys so far. I have no idea what my issues with Dolphin and using actual Wii controllers is, but I can only guess and maybe assume it's the Bluetooth dongle I have. I have a Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter Version 4.0 with WIDCOMM drivers for it. I believe it might be the dongle as it can help sync up the controllers, Dolphin does not have the ability of using or recognizing any input on them, and using other stacking drivers like the Toshiba Stack, it actually doesn't even recognize my dongle as even being on. So, if any of you guys can recommend the dongles you use for play and can verify they work in Dolphin, that would be wonderful. I'm sort of peeved that I really build up a good rig so that I can play all of the games I wanted and there's an entire library I wanted to play at HD levels just sitting there.

I use the Asus BT211. Super cheap. It's weird though, before I plugged it in I was researching it and people on the dolphin forums were give this super long list of crazy steps you have to take to get it working. I just installed the official drivers off the webiste, plugged it in and it worked right away. Windows 7 64 bit here.

One thing you have to look out for though is if you use motioninjoy, that thing will wreck your bluetooth drivers if you installed it wrong.

Foffy

Banned
One thing you have to look out for though is if you use motioninjoy, that thing will wreck your bluetooth drivers if you installed it wrong.

Uh oh, I use motionjoy...care to explain? Maybe that's my issue. The dongle used to work well, so I figured something was up.

EDIT: I had Motionjoy before I had the bluetooth dongle, but I'm not sure if having Motionjoy enabled messed anything up now.

coopolon

Uh oh, I use motionjoy...care to explain? Maybe that's my issue. The dongle used to work well, so I figured something was up.

EDIT: I had Motionjoy before I had the bluetooth dongle, but I'm not sure if having Motionjoy enabled messed anything up now.

I have to admit if MotionInJoy was isnstalled before the dongle that makes me think it's not a MIJ problem, unless you told MIJ to install drivers again afterwards but it can't hurt to try.

My understanding is you have to uninstall the dongle and all the drivers that came with it, uninstall the MIJ DS3 tool, uninstall the MIJ drivers, then reinstall the BT dongle and drivers and see if it works then. Then if you still want to use MIJ as well for USB connections unplug the dongle, install MIJ, then reconnect the dongle but make sure you don't tell MIJ to install drivers for the dongle.

My understanding is that you cannot use MIJ on a bluetooth dongle and also have other things connect to the dongle.

This is all based on my limited experiences though, so I don't claim any expertise.

Foffy

Banned
I have to admit if MotionInJoy was isnstalled before the dongle that makes me think it's not a MIJ problem, unless you told MIJ to install drivers again afterwards but it can't hurt to try.

My understanding is you have to uninstall the dongle and all the drivers that came with it, uninstall the MIJ DS3 tool, uninstall the MIJ drivers, then reinstall the BT dongle and drivers and see if it works then. Then if you still want to use MIJ as well for USB connections unplug the dongle, install MIJ, then reconnect the dongle but make sure you don't tell MIJ to install drivers for the dongle.

My understanding is that you cannot use MIJ on a bluetooth dongle and also have other things connect to the dongle.

This is all based on my limited experiences though, so I don't claim any expertise.

I recently got a new motherboard so I had to reinstall a lot of drivers. I figure that may have caused this potential issue to arise. I'll try removing MIJ, the BT stuff, and just try the BT stuff on its own. All of these drivers are in Device Manager, no?

coopolon

I recently got a new motherboard so I had to reinstall a lot of drivers. I figure that may have caused this potential issue to arise. I'll try removing MIJ, the BT stuff, and just try the BT stuff on its own. All of these drivers are in Device Manager, no?

Mij is a real pain to install. I think their are directions on their wiki about the order to remove them, just a heads up I had to un install the mij devices in device manager like three times before it took.

Foffy

Banned
Mij is a real pain to install. I think their are directions on their wiki about the order to remove them, just a heads up I had to un install the mij devices in device manager like three times before it took.

Hmm...I don't think it's Motionjoy. Still having the issues after I wiped the Bluetooth drivers, and just to see if my issue still arose, not even Motionjoy is recognizing the dongle after I reinstalled that too..

EDIT: Though I believe all it's ever attempted to install was the USB driver, never Bluetooth. Must it be a driver issue? Googling some results have it where Dolphin does not recognize the Wiimote at ALL. It can recognize it, and can vibrate, but when it comes to the games is when it falls the fuck apart and stops working. Shouldn't that be an issue of the dongle maybe not being able to carry all of the data?

EDIT 2: I'll buy the dongle you did. If it fails, something seriously is up. But I can at least scoff one to my brother for him to play Dolphin on his PC if I get the same issue, as it must be something else.

coopolon

Finished replaying Metroid Prime 1-3 on Dolphin. Definitely some of the best looking games to ever grace a Nintendo platform. I love Dolphin.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Were you playing the Wii version of MP1 and 2 or the GC version? (Sorry if this is obvious from the screenshots you took, I've not played them in forever so if it is I missed it.)

Whogie

Since the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube support, and I wanted to closet my Wii, I've been using this instead. I've got my PC hooked up to the TV with HDMI and a wireless 360 controller. I have homebrew on the Wii which let me rip my Gamecube discs and saves.

It's running great so far with the exception of F-Zero. I have a good PC (i7 860 @3.5, GTX 670), but F-Zero runs at 30-40fps with very choppy audio no matter what I try. Even at 480p.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Were you playing the Wii version of MP1 and 2 or the GC version? (Sorry if this is obvious from the screenshots you took, I've not played them in forever so if it is I missed it.)

GC

Since the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube support, and I wanted to closet my Wii, I've been using this instead. I've got my PC hooked up to the TV with HDMI and a wireless 360 controller. I have homebrew on the Wii which let me rip my Gamecube discs and saves.

It's running great so far with the exception of F-Zero. I have a good PC (i7 860 @3.5, GTX 670), but F-Zero runs at 30-40fps with very choppy audio no matter what I try. Even at 480p.

Right click on F-Zero in Dolphin > Properties and check the box for Enable Dual Core, if you haven't. I think it's set to off by default and it will override your config setting. If it's been set then your CPU just probably isn't fast enough =X

Whogie

Oh thanks. I didn't know specific games had properties.
(Oh cool. There's also a compress ISO option there too.)

Miker

Orayn

Increased resolution for GC VC games isn't guaranteed, but it wouldn't be without precedent. Many N64 VC games render at a full 480p, up from 320x240.

Fucking hell, that looks great. What is the reasoning behind why it won't work in Dolphin?

Factor 5 used a ton of programming hacks to push the visuals out of the GameCube that it did and Dolphin just doesn't handle it well/at all. Maybe one day.

Whoa, Metroid Prime 3 works on Dolphin? And you played it through to completion? Judging from the wiki, it had a whole pile of problems.

Yep and yep. The things on the Wiki are either fixed (crashes), non-issues/not gamebreaking (audio, dot, black bar), or have workarounds (door pixelation-D3D11, visors-EFB to RAM).

Whogie

Dual core almost fixed F-Zero. 55-60FPS now.

tEBtb.png

5RJ1J.png

(Culled the black)
The kid was talking about Fire Emblum earlier :p

Love this game so far. The rough edges are easy to ignore.

Wii U wouldn't produce something that visually impressive on VC.

Considering Rogue Leader is a GameCube game and a GameCube VC has been hinted at by Iwata himself, it may not be entirely impossible for this game to get a VC release and thus also producing the graphical awesomeness.

I recently bought this game for 10€ and I am amazed. I never saw this game in action and seeing how it produces graphics that weren't the norm until 5 years later.

Factor 5 really were super friggin' awesome.

EDIT:
@Paper Mario 2 above:
Yuck, those edges!
This game could really use an HD texture pack. And less compressed textures.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I seem to recall Paper Mario TTYD looking better than that on Dolphin. Is there no way to get some anti-aliasing on those edges?

this is freaking amazing! Didn't know you could get this far in the game on dolphin?
Any special config? (besides using a savestate I presume..)

I seem to recall Paper Mario TTYD looking better than that on Dolphin. Is there no way to get some anti-aliasing on those edges?

this is freaking amazing! Didn't know you could get this far in the game on dolphin?
Any special config? (besides using a savestate I presume..)

Save state spamming while entering the passcode to unlock all the levels, since it crashes like 10 times even trying to do that =P Alternating save states every letter, cause sometimes it likes to crash as you try to save state, corrupting that one. Pretty lulz all around. Some of the planet based levels you can play to completion (as evidenced by that shot and the Imperial Academy one) but they have their own graphical glitches and issues too. Space levels won't render anything more than 10 feet in front of you so they're impossible.

Top Bottom