• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

OBias

Per his post in Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderBrandonMusic/posts/10154502222642621

I'm currently working with Retro Studios here in Austin. As much as I'd like to say more (except the work is incredibly exciting and the team is awesome), I can't.

Besides Unreal and Deus Ex, he also worked on Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Alpha Protocol, and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Unreal OST

Unreal Tournament OST

Deus Ex OST

EDIT: L~A took a screencap of the post.

1qqucv.jpg

By the way, Alexander Brandon is a huge Metroid fan: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Alexander_Brandon

A friend later showed him Metroid and he was fascinated by the music, which is why he went into game music.

He interviewed Hip Tanaka, the composer of the original Metroid, in 2002: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131356/shooting_from_the_hip_an_.php

Doesn't mean he is working on Metroid, but still interesting.

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

JB2448

That's a man that can do the signature atmosphere of Metroid's music justice.

The new Donkey Kong's music will be great.

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, levels with multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. Exclusively on 3ds.

Anything with the cane?

Despite being an excellent composer, I don't think he really composes for games anymore. For the last decade or so, he's been more of a sound director/sound designer.

L~A

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, levels with multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up.

I never asked for this.

Seriously though, wasn't expecting an external composer. Makes you wonder what they're working on.

Oh, and better take a screencap of the post, I'm totally expecting it to mysteriously disappear overnight ;)

Here:

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, levels with multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

Is it possible to play it like it's a first person spurter?

Rodin

Are they doing that sci-fi rpg many of us have been asking for?

if it's star tropics i need to see gaf's reaction 😂😂😂

KingBroly

Banned
My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

Cranky Kong Country Prime

Anyway, given the guy's soundtrack pedigree, I'd say it's going to be a moody kinda game

Turrican3

Hmm, intriguing​ news.

DK by Retro were amazing games but I think right now we need something else from this extremely​ talented studio.

Glass

There's a YouTube play list of the Deus Ex soundtrack which I'll play a little bit of almost daily, it's the next best thing next to playing the game. My favourite soundtrack of all time.

Whatever this game is, it's a day 1 for me.

Oersted

1000% attach rate incoming

How big is retro? Is it at all possible that they'd be prepping a Metroid game or a new IP and also a new donkey Kong simultaneously?

KHlover

Banned
Nice of Retro to give him the chance to work on something upbeat as a change. Fucking Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 is going to be great.

Shredderi

Soundtrack is one of the last things in video game development planning right?

Not always. Many times you have the composer starting his/her work early on so they have enough time to find the right sound for the game. So sometimes the composer will only have concept art and other pictures to draw vibes from.

D_prOdigy

Damn. Even so, definitely doesn't sound like whatever he's been hired for wilL be Donkey Kong, given his discography.

By the way, Alexander Brandon is a huge Metroid fan: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Alexander_Brandon

He interviewed Hip Tanaka, the composer of the original Metroid, in 2002: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...he_hip_an_.php

Doesn't mean he is working on Metroid, but still interesting.

This is definitely the right way to avoid disappointment lads

Top Bottom