• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

tumblr_nkux4iNhf81unkbmho1_1280.jpg
Lmao

Thread in Off-topic got me thinking.

Is One Piece one of those series you feel you need to add a 'caveat' to when recommending or talking about it with others, primarily because of Oda's artistic tendencies when it comes to women over recent years?

Ray Down

Banned

Is One Piece one of those series you feel you need to add a 'caveat' to when recommending or talking about it with others, primarily because of Oda's artistic tendencies when it comes to women over recent years?
Matters if I know the person would be bothered by it.

I say just someone read and naturally see that.

LotusHD

Banned

Not for me. The main caveat is its length if anything... :(

It's unfortunate how samey several of the female characters look, as well as the anime exaggerating the issue, but it's not like say, Fairy Tail or something. It does have its moments of course, like Rebecca's design or Nami's chest growing over the years, but that wouldn't stop me. The more noticeable stuff is things like the women not having enough fights, much less getting their hands dirty. A lot of them have huge chests, but as far as I can recall, random cliche fanservice scenes aren't very prevalent to the point where I'd be rolling my eyes a lot.

But overall, it's definitely not something I would ever hesitate to recommend. At the same time, if they're reading through it, and point out that kind of stuff, then we just discuss our mutual disappointment with it lol

---

Now that I think about it, Ivankov and co. is something I'd probably place higher in terms of being a potential caveat.

Ogodei

Not for me. The main caveat is its length if anything... :(

It's unfortunate how samey several of the female characters look, as well as the anime exaggerating the issue, but it's not like say, Fairy Tail or something. It does have its moments of course, like Rebecca's design or Nami's chest growing over the years, but that wouldn't stop me. The more noticeable stuff is things like the women not having enough fights, much less getting their hands dirty. A lot of them have huge chests, but as far as I can recall, random cliche fanservice scenes aren't very prevalent to the point where I'd be rolling my eyes a lot.

But overall, it's definitely not something I would ever hesitate to recommend. At the same time, if they're reading through it, and point out that kind of stuff, then we just discuss our mutual disappointment with it lol

---

Now that I think about it, Ivankov and co. is something I'd probably place higher in terms of being a potential caveat.

The only caveat with the Okama is that their appearances is played for laughs. They are otherwise competent fighters who are mostly goodhearted and their way of life is portrayed as valid.

Not 100% kosher, but it's aces as far as you could expect from shonen (or Japan in general, where mass audiences look at transsexuals as the kind of punchline Americans did 15 years ago).

LotusHD

Banned
The only caveat with the Okama is that their appearances is played for laughs. They are otherwise competent fighters who are mostly goodhearted and their way of life is portrayed as valid.

Not 100% kosher, but it's aces as far as you could expect from shonen (or Japan in general, where mass audiences look at transsexuals as the kind of punchline Americans did 15 years ago).

I realize that much, especially in regards to Iva being a cool person, just that some of their scenes, like where the residents of are chasing Sanji around, or him being horrified that he received blood from them, well... Basically if I re-read it, it'd be a little disheartening, to say the least. Like you said, it's not 100% kosher lol

Don't you bring that evil in this thread!

I'm sorry!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I still feel OP community is the anime/manga community less obsessed with shipping. Even Pokemon is worse and that is a children's anime.
*Looks at Pudding avatars*. Ahem

Pokemon definitely seems worse from the outside though. I feel like the only series that mostly avoid shipping are those that make pairings obvious from the get go and never stray from them (such as Dragonball and Fullmetal Alchemist where every guy is predestined to hook up with whichever girl they spend the most time with).

Ray Down

Banned
Techically Goku interact with Bulma the most...

Though I think Torishima said they should get together, or some other DBZ editor.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Pokemon definitely seems worse from the outside though. I feel like the only series that mostly avoid shipping are those that make pairings obvious from the get go and never stray from them (such as Dragonball and Fullmetal Alchemist where every guy is predestined to hook up with whichever girl they spend the most time with).

I'm glad someone else is annoyed with the thread's Pudding obsession.
It's like the "SaNa" shitposters on /a/, only way more annoying.

It's weird how all the Pokemon shipping shit was actually a 4Kids product. At least that's what I've heard.
I know Serena's feelings for Ash was Japanese original but that was recent in the grand scheme.

Kworn

Banned
So, I think Big mom is going to explode the next chapter as she will most likely eat one of her children that have a devil fruit.

Que her exploding from eating too many devil fruits.

So, I think Big mom is going to explode the next chapter as she will most likely eat one of her children that have a devil fruit.

Que her exploding from eating too many devil fruits.
I think she is just going to beat them up or take some of their lifespan like she did with her son.

LotusHD

Banned
Pudding doesn't really have anything to do with shipping, though? People are just appreciating an enjoyable character.

Not to mention we haven't been "obsessed" with her for months now anyways? Lately all we do is wonder what's she been up to lately if anything, and Ray's the only one left with a Pudding avatar.

Meanwhile apparently some of y'all still can't let it go, huh... :p

Ogodei

Shipping tends to happen in fandoms with a higher female presence (as girls and women are more likely to be the fanfiction writers), that's why Dragonball avoided it.

One Piece avoids getting bogged down because of Oda's peculiar skill in making characters sexual but not romantic (in that it's pretty clear where most of the crew's preferences lie, except maybe Franky, and that they have expressed those desires, and yet have never shown the slightest inclination of seriously acting upon them).

Basically you've got a group of people who have strong platonic connections to each other, and we've seen expressions of sexual interest floating around within that group as well, but somehow Oda's kept either of those from ever convincing most of the fanbase that a pairing is going to happen.
I'm not saying Franky's gay, btw. He seems very into his own masculinity but i'm not sure he's ever expressed interest in women. Even Luffy peeped on Nami and Vivi in the bath that one time, and Chopper found the gazelle mink.

I hope Big Mom doesn't destroy her own crew when she goes insane...Luffy and co have had a lot of luck this arc, considering they completely outmatched.

Ray Down

Banned
Not to mention we haven't been "obsessed" with her for months now anyways? Lately all we do is wonder what's she been up to lately if anything, and Ray's the only one left with a Pudding avatar.

Meanwhile apparently some of y'all still can't let it go, huh... :p

Truth.

I hope Big Mom doesn't destroy her own crew when she goes insane...Luffy and co have had a lot of luck this arc, considering they completely outmatched.

She not, Big Mom will show up again. So her crew can't get totally wrecked.

That is true. A part of me doesn't like how they waltzed into Yonkou territory and got what they needed with negligible consequence in the grand scheme of things.

LotusHD

Banned
That is true. A part of me doesn't like how they waltzed into Yonkou territory and got what they needed with negligible consequence in the grand scheme of things.

You kidding me? Sanji got his heart broken, that's not negligible!

It is hilarious that Luffy didn't even keep his lost tooth lmao

Well they made a bigger name for themselveswhich some of the crew(only Nami,chopper and usopp) will see as a consequence that's something lol. Morgans bouta expose sanjis heritage, jinbe joining etc

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big Mom was relatively in control when she killed her own flesh and blood earlier in the arc.

When she had the hunger lust on her full out she ate everyone she ever cared for, so...

Top Bottom