• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When is your cut-off for pet euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittygirl

Also, her beautiful long gray fur was turning brown, which I read was a sign of kidneys shutting down. (Which both did happen)

Tidalwave

When I was about 9, we had 2 dogs and my mom wanted to get rid of the female. She asked the neighbour, who was repairing our roof at the time, if he could take care of it. So he grabbed his hammer, called the dog, and bashed it's skull in.

That was clearly over my cut-off back then.
What area did you live in at the time? I'm curious what area of the world has people that think that is ok to do.

Linkura

We decided to do it when our 17 1/2 year old cat was diagnosed with lung cancer along with a myriad of other problems. We didn't do it right then though, since she still seemed to have some quality of life. But she quickly took a turn for the worse. Shortly after the diagnosing x-ray, I think it was just a couple of days, she was awake all night without falling asleep on her favorite scratch pad, purring in severe pain. She could barely eat anything too. It seemed like she was in so much pain she couldn't eat, drink, or sleep. We decided it was time. :(

Sorry to bump old thread but I didn't want to be one of the guys who opens a thread for something that happens to all of us. Just figured I'd vent. My parents are putting our family dog to sleep today. The doctor told them last week she had maybe 3 more months. But she got really bad today and they took the decision and told us via the family group chat. I'm here sitting in the office crying my eyes out.

I was never close to her. She was afraid of everyone except my parents and sisters and I never did as much as they did so she wasn't as nervous around them. She was abused as a puppy and we rescued her from a petco adoption agency who brought dogs over. I was the one who picked her and convinced my parents, plus chose the name.

I have my own dog now and live by myself and I know it broke their heart to take this decision. But ultimately there is no reason to let the dog suffer for our own selfish desire to keep her around. She was barely leaving my parents room when we all came to visit for mother's day this last weekend. Everytime she ate or drank water one of us would wipe her mouth with loving care. Called her grandma.

We got her when I was 13. Now I'm 26. I know we gave her a good life. I'm dreading this moment with my own dog. But that's life.

br3wnor

Sorry to bump old thread but I didn't want to be one of the guys who opens a thread for something that happens to all of us. Just figured I'd vent. My parents are putting our family dog to sleep today. The doctor told them last week she had maybe 3 more months. But she got really bad today and they took the decision and told us via the family group chat. I'm here sitting in the office crying my eyes out.

I was never close to her. She was afraid of everyone except my parents and sisters and I never did as much as they did so she wasn't as nervous around them. She was abused as a puppy and we rescued her from a petco adoption agency who brought dogs over. I was the one who picked her and convinced my parents, plus chose the name.

I have my own dog now and live by myself and I know it broke their heart to take this decision. But ultimately there is no reason to let the dog suffer for our own selfish desire to keep her around. She was barely leaving my parents room when we all came to visit for mother's day this last weekend. Everytime she ate or drank water one of us would wipe her mouth with loving care. Called her grandma.

We got her when I was 13. Now I'm 26. I know we gave her a good life. I'm dreading this moment with my own dog. But that's life.

Sorry to hear that. My wife's family dog is 14 this year and the past year has really aged quite a bit. He's deaf now and is much slower than he used to be (also has a tumor on his leg that's inoperable given the location/skin coverage) but he just keeps on trucking along. Wife and I got a puppy back in October and they've become best friends, seeing each other a few times a week. The thought of when the 14 year old dog has to leave us absolutely kill me, I've known him for the past 8 years and he really is one of my best friends. Having our own dog will help ease the suffering, but when it happens it will; be fucking brutal.

Dogs are just the best and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. One solace to take is that dogs have no idea they're being put down, they really live in the moment and 13 years is a great long life for a dog.

My SOs cat is going through kidney failure right now, and it looks miserable. It can't meow anymore, and has troubles controlling it's bladder. She has to give it IVs twice a day to keep him hydrated because his kidneys barely work so he barely drinks.

The worst part is that she blames herself or constantly looks for reasons that she is at fault, when the damn cat did it to itself. It refused to drink anything but fresh water and would rather dehydrate itself than drink water more than a few hours old, sometimes even less. We came home more than once after a day away and the stupid thing would be howling at the moon because his water wasn't fresh and wouldn't shut up till he got his fresh water.

I keep hoping she puts him down to end his misery, but she wont.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My SOs cat is going through kidney failure right now, and it looks miserable. It can't meow anymore, and has troubles controlling it's bladder. She has to give it IVs twice a day to keep him hydrated because his kidneys barely work so he barely drinks.

The worst part is that she blames herself or constantly looks for reasons that she is at fault, when the damn cat did it to itself. It refused to drink anything but fresh water and would rather dehydrate itself than drink water more than a few hours old, sometimes even less. We came home more than once after a day away and the stupid thing would be howling at the moon because his water wasn't fresh and wouldn't shut up till he got his fresh water.

You need one of those water circulators they have at pet stores for cats like that.

Our little schnauzer will be 16 in November. She's practically deaf and has slowed down but still gets around well enough to eat, drink and go outside on her own and seems pretty happy. I know we are lucky but my wife and I have both talked about this topic and hope that she just doesn't wake up one day because we'd really hate to put her down. If she was suffering we would do it, though.

Always perform euthanasia. Always.
Euthanasia is when a)They don't have quality of life and b)They don't have a reasonable expectation to improve.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Turn on a faucet at a low rate if you are desperate.

It really sounds like the cat is not doing well though and it might be time for a hard talk about it. We knew a woman who kept her cat alive for a few extra years by giving it IVs and putting sweaters on it daily...the cat was miserable and should have been put out of it's misery long before the actual time.

norm9

From my pet's pov- If itLL end suffering.
From my pov- if surgery is beyond my financial means (especially if it's more than the limit of my credit card)

Always perform euthanasia. Always.
Euthanasia is when a)They don't have quality of life and b)They don't have a reasonable expectation to improve.

Agreed. After that, keeping a pet alive is pure selfishness.

Yeah, simple things like how tall the surfaces are that they will/wont jump to.

My oldest cat is 15, and over the years she jumps lower and lower. Around 9 she stopped jumping on top of the fridge. Around 12 she stopped jumping onto counter tops. Around 14 she stopped jumping onto windowsills.

We've arranged our house to sort of accommodate for this. Leaving cat trees by the windowsill that acts as a step up for her. We even bought a set of pet steps for our bedside so she can walk up more easily.

This is interesting for me to read, My cat is 14 now and she's still jumping up to countertops, but she has this really bad sneeze occassionally that we can't seem to get rid of with multiple vet visits and its got me worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom