• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blazing through One Piece Enies Lobby Arc

That death of
Go Merry
might be the saddest thing ever. Teared up during manga... and again during anime T___T.

Milky Holmes S1 02:

Much better than the first episode. I was really worried that something horrible was going to happen
to the cat
, but thankfully the humor never veered in a dark direction.

Poor Cordelia, even when she wins she loses. Her martyrdom fantasy was all that she had left after taking the fall for
Kamaboko
, but now that she's
free
she just gets to live out the same second-class student life. Watching her
etch drawings into the stone wall with her fingernail
was pretty disgusting.

The show hasn't really excelled visually yet, but it shows promise. The characters have a great variety of reaction faces, and if more of that bold, dynamic style can be incorporated into actual scenes, the show will have great personality.
Oh yeah, that episode.. great stuff. :lol

Sweet. I think mine is probably Nero, Sherlock, Hercule, Cordelia.
Same second and fourth ones then, but the other two are reversed. :)

Yeah, they
even increase it in the Special episode after the season.
It was a nice touch.
Expect that process to continue! :)

Yeah, it was
just Resplendence gone mad.
Resplendence? What's that a reference to?

I don't think I've ever taken part in Sailor rankings yet, so here goes:

Makoto > Rei > Minako > Ami > Usagi.
I can agree with that, yeah, except I'd note that Chibiusa goes in last place, Uranus and Neptune down there too (they're just such fools...), and Saturn and Pluto high on the list.

If you can get past the admittedly moe exterior, there is still some Gunslinger Girl goodness to be had. Unfortunately, nowhere close to how good the first season was.
From what I've heard though, it's not just the visuals that got a significant downgrade, it's also the story, episodes, plot, and everything else...

Yeah, it was neat to see.
And yeah, how the heck are they related?! They should get possessed more often, maybe something will stick!
Yeah, that episode certainly does do a good job of showing how far they have fallen versus their forebears... indeed, maybe they should get possessed more. :)

The girls are suppose to study for an exam, but keep procrastinating which leads them to fail their exam.
Oh, right. Yeah, not the best episode, I only faintly remember it.

Naw, I suppose I can't.
Seriously, with all Milky Holmes put her through, it's a wonder that Arsene even manages to contain herself as much as she does...

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't set it apart much. (Alas, why I was being selfish and not thinking about the show's quality when stating that :p )
It really is the comedy that makes it the show that it is. But yes, for those who like action, ep. 11 of season 2 is as good as this show will ever get.

A terrible way to treat such a masterful mind!
:lol Indeed.

Thanks for spending your posting time to discuss it with me, Falcon. Much obliged.
No, quite the opposite, it's pretty boring when there's no one willing to discuss much... hasn't been enough of that since macodin stopped posting in the anime threads.

I think I've hit the limits of my pop-cultural anthropology at this point. It seems to be much more complicated that simple socialization though, since it's so far reaching.

Anime is just one outlet for this weirdness.
Most of what I said there came from what I remember from anthropology 101, but I think I remembered many of the more important points...

Tsunderes are a weird form of wishfulfillment, especially in magical girlfriend land, because it's like they're aware that they have no reason to like the guy but DESPITE that, they still somehow fall in love with him. It's just strange is all.
What, as if the girls who are in love with the guy because he was nice to them once when they were five have such a better reason for loving him? Hah!

Seriously, they're all various degrees of bad. I don't think tsunderes are too much worse than other types. Oh, and as for being self-aware, that could sometimes be true, but in IS wasn't in Char, the one non-tsundere in the harem, who was probably the most self-aware about it? I don't know if this problem is so much worse with tsunderes, it's really present with all of them.

Still have the dress uniforms!
True, but don't they have pants on under the... dress coats?

You mean Nichijou. :(
That certainly is what it should have said, yes. What happened to that show... so sad. :(

Old? Little Busters Anime Announcement Trailer

Saya!!
Looks like not KyoAni!!
Nice, a trailer! (Oh, and yeah, this was mentioned, but I think only as a rumor, not as a reality, and certainly not with a trailer link, so I'd call that new, yeah.)

Fate/Stay Night 4:

It's surprisingly different how the same things sound and are explained when you compare F/Z, which originated as an LN written by Gen Urobuchi, and F/SN, which originated as a VN written by Nasu. The expository dialogue in this show is insufferably banal and generically shounen (mainly due to Shirou's perspective as the main character, he annoys the shit out of me and so does his internal monologue) compared to how it went in F/Z. I'm still waiting for Nasu's trademark fake deep philosophy to show up and save me from boredom every time somebody opens their mouths because right now this whole thing is dumber than a bag of rocks. This might be because the Masters are all bunch of kids in F/SN whereas they are all adults in F/Z. I'm not sure the high school setting is doing F/SN any favors here.

There's been lots of Rin though, so far this is the show's only saving grace. It's strange that I know why Rin reacts the way she does when she runs into Sakura while walking from Shirou's house, had I watched F/SN before F/Z I wouldn't know precisely why she acts the way she does around Sakura.

Yeah, that's basically F/SN -- one of the stupidest and most annoying main characters ever in mainstream anime, mediocre writing, plenty of reasons to not watch it... and Rin, who is awesome. Shirou just got too irritating though, I never managed to get through the whole season. He's such a sexist idiot... seriously, the main character in anime is often mediocre, sure, but he's far, FAR below that, to the point where he has a significant negative impact on the series. That's ... not good. So yeah, basically, it's too bad Rin wasn't in a better show.

Ceiling wideface:

fmmPo.jpg
Is that Omnimax/Imax Dome? I've been to the Boston Science Museum's Omnimax theater before, and I think a few others as well... really, really cool stuff, the way it takes up your whole vision is amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/oNqW5.jpg

Wan.
Wait, so are they going to make a second season of Dog Days? That'd be nice. :)

Wasn't most of the Oreimo thread icecream trying to convince everyone of how not blatantly otaku pandering the show is?
It was mostly Kirino hate from what I remember.
You forgot 'Kirino is totally like a real teenage little sister! (As long as you ignore her entire character)'
There were elements of all three of these, I'm pretty sure. I mostly stayed out of that thread, but some of it strayed into the anime thread too... and as some of the replies to that third one show, there are still some crazy people defending their very, very wrong stance on that third point, somehow. How, I have no idea, of course, as I've always said. The number of actual people who have incestuous feelings for their siblings is miniscule.

The Legend of Koizumi (3 OVAS)

*Two thumbs up*

Unknown Soldier and cosmic, you two did not disappoint.
This was a very good kind of crazy.

I might take a peek at the manga now, or take a look at Saki (that has super specials too, right?...RIGHT?!)
I doubt you'll find it quite the match of The Legend of Koizumi's level of awesome, but yes, there are some great mahjong specials in Saki, along with everything else in the series. I like it a lot, and of course the spinoff starts very soon...

But yeah, it's too bad The Legend of Koizumi didn't get more than three episodes. It was way too awesome to be restricted to just three! :)

Milky Holmes S1 01:

A lot of the screens of this show that have been posted in the thread lead me to believe that it might have a level of visual creativity, writing, or comedy not immediately apparent from the premise or rather horrendous character design. I can't say that I was impressed by this first episode, but I'm going to give it a few episodes and hope that it finds its spark.

This pilot was pretty expository but didn't do much to individualize any of the loli detectives. The whole thing looks pretty lighthearted so I'm not expecting any serious characterization, but I'd at least like to see the four main characters as more than just palette swaps of each other.
I'll laugh if this ends up being a better detective show than other recent shows that I tried and didn't enjoy like Kamisama no Memochou.
As was already said, it's mostly a comedy show, not a detective show, and yes, the four characters are each different. And yeah, the first episode isn't too representative of the show as a whole. I thought it was decently good, but the show as a whole is certainly is better than the first episode.

Highschool DxD x-12

I don't remember which episode I last commented yesterday, but just finished watching this and I'm actually surprised at how entertaining this show was at the end of it.
Issei is a moron, but they still managed to make him appear cool even in spite of some bullshit he pulled off (like that Dress Break move) and the last episode underlined that well enough.
Even some things like why would Rias be interested in him don't matter much. Yeah, it's usual for these kind of shows to have women fall in love for the idiot and pervert protagonist, but usually there is a far fetched explanation behind that. Like, it's understandable why Asia would be interested in Issei given the way they met, what happened between them etc (naturally it's less understandable why she'd still be interested in him when finding out how big of a pervert he is, but it's anime and so it's OK).
With Rias I don't get such a silly but acceptable explanation though. But that is of little importance when all is said and done.
I'm going to hope for a second season to have a follow up, otherwise it's time to start reading the manga.
I posted my review of this episode recently (yesterday or so), but yeah, I of course agree on the point about why Rias loves him; there is indeed absolutely no reason given, just as, yes, there's no reason why Asia still loves him even after learning what he's really like. The only "reason" is harem anime logic that girls who like the main character always love him forever, period, and most or all major opposite-sex characters are going to love the main character. Besides that, there's nothing here, like usual, but yeah, with even less of an excuse. All I can come up with is that they're impressed by him acting cool and winning or something, but that should not be considered to be enough. That the series thinks it is says something about the level of the writing.

But sure, it's an entertaining enough show, if you can turn off your brain... my problem of course is that I often can't really do that. Still, for its genre it was above average, at least, I think.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Lupin III 01:

Gotta get up to speed on who everyone is in the next couple of days.

So, first of all, that's certainly some...uhh...opening theme this show has. I don't think that I'll be forgetting who the show is about any time soon. I find pretty much all 70s television music to be gut-wrenchingly horrible and the music (not just the OP) in Lupin III is generally no exception. Keyboards, bombastic trumpets, electric funk, kazoo-sounding shit, rattle snares........I'm just not a fan of any of it, but it's not really impacting my enjoyment of the show. It's all just a little dated in that respect.

So basically, Lupin is an invincible supergenius con man with a band of sidekicks and an uncanny ability to escape dangerous situations. I haven't gathered much more about him than that, but I like his air of mischievousness and total self-confidence. The shit-eating grin on his face the entire time that he was conning the SCOPION dude in the hotel was amusing. I kind of hope that everything stays this campy. Also, Fujiko has huge tits.

I know that it's mentioned often in the thread how pitiful mechanical animation is today compared to 20+ years ago, but I couldn't help but notice just how great everything looked--and this isn't even a show about cars, spaceships, or military craft, just a one-off episode that happened to have racing as the theme. Everything from the chassis of the racecars to Jigen's radio device to the face of his watch had detail that you just don't see today, and the cars had a lovely motion to them that captured the trembling of the motor. The show looks fantastic in general for a product of the early 70s, but the fact that average grunt animators were able to produce things like this on a weekly basis just hits home how much we've lost for what we've gained.

I don't plan on doing long write-ups for each episode unless something notable happens, but hopefully my first impressions are of some small interest to any Lupin scholars in the thread. I really hope that I have time between the Spring shows and my concurrent marathons to get some of the show in regularly.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Stay Night 16:

Ilya's not nearly as fun when she's not being yandere. She's still obscenely moe though. I love the way she always curtsies when she introduces herself or thanks somebody. She easily exceeds the levels required for the forbidden reaction to extreme moe.

In unrelated news, I guess F/SN actually is a harem story. I was mistaken based on the other Nasuverse stuff I've been exposed to, in reality it's just a harem with a whole lot of other shit going on too. I'm not sure how to express my level of disappointment about this.

Archer specifically tells Rin that he doesn't remember who he is because she summoned him incompletely. However there's still no evidence that he wasn't lying to her, especially since he starts giving Shirou random advice almost from the moment they meet.

Isnt Mai Hime a fairly similar kind of show also with a cute loliperson in it?

Ultimadrago

Resplendence? What's that a reference to?

Arsene's Toy type, able to create illusions and summon massive power. She loses control of it while sleeping in the dream episode, turning her surroundings (and the girls') into a Wonderland.

That certainly is what it should have said, yes. What happened to that show... so sad. :(

*sniffle* I'll never forget it, such a freaking great anime. Hoping someone licenses it for U.S. release :/ (I'll be forced to import otherwise)

I doubt you'll find it quite the match of The Legend of Koizumi's level of awesome, but yes, there are some great mahjong specials in Saki, along with everything else in the series. I like it a lot, and of course the spinoff starts very soon...

Yeah, it's still on my list. I might get to it around the time I tackle the Legend of Koizumi's manga.

But yeah, it's too bad The Legend of Koizumi didn't get more than three episodes. It was way too awesome to be restricted to just three! :)

Yeah, man! I would've loved to see more countries feel the humiliating taste of awesomely stylish mahjong defeat!

Cloudy

Banned
So I just finished Another. Was not expecting that..

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I must have missed when they said Reiko and Ms. Mikami were the same person. Or did they never say it and it was just something he remembered at the end there (where she said not to call her Reiko at school). If so, that was super-lame and gave the audience no chance to guess who the extra was.

Good series but they cheated with that lol

Oh and somehow Reiko was really his mother? What?

Ultimadrago

Steins;Gate 4

Kyouma makes me lol. But some of his interactions with "Christiiiiiina!" are getting way too drawn out.
This thing is starting off on a stretcher and shouldn't fill 8 minutes with bickering. It's humorous for a while, but distracting later on. Specifically in lines with my desire for progression in the overarching narrative.

In other words, GET ON WITH IT!

P.S.: OP...slowly...growing on me!

Articalys

Saint Seiya Omega 1

As pretty much a complete newbie to the Saint Seiya series, I liked it.
Also, Kouga in street clothes reminds me a bit appearance-wise of Takuto.

Fate/Stay Night 17:

Setting up the next arc. In addition to being the current Einzbern mage, it seems that Ilya's also been trained at ballet. I'm okay with this.

Shirou certainly has a very short attention span. He seems to have entirely forgotten that
Ilya killed Shinji after Rider was defeated.
She also fully intended to
kill Shirou and Rin.
She's far too cute though, I can see how he would forget so quickly!

The OP for Steins;Gate is actually quite fantastic and you'll see why later on. Everything about it is perfect for the show's content. Haters gonna hate but that's not your problem.

Instro

Speaking of Seiya, I was kind hoping they would do a bit more with the transformation sequences. Maybe other ones will be better.

trejo

Rectify this situation.

It's also the only Birdy I've seen. :(

Steins;Gate 4

Kyouma makes me lol. But some of his interactions with "Christiiiiiina!" are getting way too drawn out.
This thing is starting off on a stretcher and shouldn't fill 8 minutes with bickering. It's humorous for a while, but distracting later on. Specifically in lines with my desire for progression in the overarching narrative.

In other words, GET ON WITH IT!

The show does eventually get on with it but yeah it does take a while before it finally decides to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What, as if the girls who are in love with the guy because he was nice to them once when they were five have such a better reason for loving him? Hah!

Seriously, they're all various degrees of bad. I don't think tsunderes are too much worse than other types. Oh, and as for being self-aware, that could sometimes be true, but in IS wasn't in Char, the one non-tsundere in the harem, who was probably the most self-aware about it? I don't know if this problem is so much worse with tsunderes, it's really present with all of them.
Char becomes tsundere-lite at times though. It's like the first all-tsundere harem!

True, but don't they have pants on under the... dress coats?
Well, in the same way that women can wear hose/stockings I suppose.

Lain

A Black Falcon's replies feel wrong to me, when there isn't even a mAcOdIn's quote in them. It's like there is something missing. In other words, has mAc deserted the anime threads?!

Noirulus

Saint Seiya Omega - 01

This is the shounen itch that i've been craving. PEGASUS METEOR FIST!

Makes me want to marathon the original series, but i'm not sure how it's aged. Loved the 20 or so episodes I caught as a kid, though.

The OP is crazy awesome, too.

A Black Falcon's replies feel wrong to me, when there isn't even a mAcOdIn's quote in them. It's like there is something missing. In other words, has mAc deserted the anime threads?!

He has not posted in an anime thread since getting back from his ban, even though that ban ended in February. :( I wish he'd return too.

Char becomes tsundere-lite at times though. It's like the first all-tsundere harem!

Well, in the same way that women can wear hose/stockings I suppose.

Sort of, but it's considered okay because they're pants and not tights, so it's totally different!

... Men's coats sometimes used to be long like that, back in the 19th-early 20th centuries. Of course, at that point women would all have had ankle length or longer dresses, so they weren't similar like those look today, or in Star Trek.

Arsene's Toy type, able to create illusions and summon massive power. She loses control of it while sleeping in the dream episode, turning her surroundings (and the girls') into a Wonderland.
Oh right, that. Now that you mention it I remember the power, but not its name.

*sniffle* I'll never forget it, such a freaking great anime. Hoping someone licenses it for U.S. release :/ (I'll be forced to import otherwise)
Nichijou definitely needs a US release, yeah! I'd have to seriously consider getting it too...

Yeah, it's still on my list. I might get to it around the time I tackle the Legend of Koizumi's manga.
Do try it, but if it takes a while, byt the time you do there'll be another show to watch too, the soon-to-start Achiga-hen.

Yeah, man! I would've loved to see more countries feel the humiliating taste of awesomely stylish mahjong defeat!
Yeah, it'd be great to see. It's just such an awesomely over the top anime, I don't think there's anything that matches it really.

I don't mean I like it more overall than Saki, I don't think I do, but it's the best at what it does.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mirai Nikki 24
Oh god, the serious plot holes that poke through the entire story just pile up. The show just nonchalantly throws these out left and right in a manner that glosses over any implications they might have on the world, characters, or the previously established workings of the universe.
Superman Ninth, seriously? Even when they draw out the timeline visually it's wrong. This show had two separate paces this episode. One involved unnecessary scenes being shoehorned in that went nowhere and covered information we already knew. The other was the show racing through new and potentially complicated information without really covering anything.

This show has been writhing on its death bed for what is beginning to seem like an eternity. Somehow even in its absurdity it feels completely dull, the nonsensical nature seeming to be little more than the uncontrolled slobberings of the writer. I'm not even sure I should sit through the last two episodes of this.

Soma

Space Brothers - Episode 01

Y'know this is probably the first time I've felt like I've really related to a character in an anime.

Hit pretty close to home too.

- Losing a job from a stupid mistake (I didn't go all Zidane on my boss though that would've owned)
- Having to move back with my mother after living a pretty decent life
- On the brink of giving up on childhood dreams
- Remembering those dreams and feeling that passion lost a long time ago.
- Having a pet Pug. (lol)

I dunno it honestly kind of moved me. Strange.

This episode was really nicely done and I'm definitely gonna keep watching it. I really hope the rest of the show maintains this quality.

frostbyte

wonzo

Banned
Mirai Nikki 24
Oh god, the serious plot holes that poke through the entire story just pile up. The show just nonchalantly throws these out left and right in a manner that glosses over any implications they might have on the world, characters, or the previously established workings of the universe.
Superman Ninth, seriously? Even when they draw out the timeline visually it's wrong. This show had two separate paces this episode. One involved unnecessary scenes being shoehorned in that went nowhere and covered information we already knew. The other was the show racing through new and potentially complicated information without really covering anything.

This show has been writhing on its death bed for what is beginning to seem like an eternity. Somehow even in its absurdity it feels completely dull, the nonsensical nature seeming to be little more than the uncontrolled slobberings of the writer. I'm not even sure I should sit through the last two episodes of this.
trust me when i say it'll be worth it

i miss genki saya :(

Alright Anime-GAF, after Toonami last night I decided that I may actually like Anime more than I thought I did, and that I should check out some more recent shows. To start my friend recommended me Code Geass, and I asked about it in the Toonami thread, and people said it's worth the check out. So I just have a few quick questions:

1. I found this website called Crunchyroll. It seems legit, and I was just wondering what your opinions are about it. Is it a good site, is it worth the subscription, are there better sites available, all that good stuff.

2. Should I watch the dub or sub? I don't mind either way, but I was just wondering where you all are on the subject. I know there are people on both sides of spectrum who refuse to watch shows depending on whether it is dubbed or not, and I trust GAFers when it comes to something like this.

Sorry if these get ask a lot, but my anime knowledge is slim to none. (Really the only anime I have a big appreciation for are Dragon Ball, Cowboy Bebop, and Miyazaki films) I'll probably pop in here for more questions and suggestions as time goes on too. Thanks.

1. CR is a legit streaming site. They have HD streams of varying quality as well.

2. In the debate of dub vs. sub, the only advice I can give is that anything streamed as it airs will be sub-only, the vast majority of shows are never dubbed for NA/EU release, and the ones that are will require you to wait a long time for the dubbed release. It's easier to learn to love subs if you want to watch anything remotely close to when it airs.

3. Code Geass is something best enjoyed after you've been deeper down the rabbit hole. It's not a "starter" anime as those sorts of things go.

frostbyte

Alright Anime-GAF, after Toonami last night I decided that I may actually like Anime more than I thought I did, and that I should check out some more recent shows. To start my friend recommended me Code Geass, and I asked about it in the Toonami thread, and people said it's worth the check out. So I just have a few quick questions:

1. I found this website called Crunchyroll. It seems legit, and I was just wondering what your opinions are about it. Is it a good site, is it worth the subscription, are there better sites available, all that good stuff.

2. Should I watch the dub or sub? I don't mind either way, but I was just wondering where you all are on the subject. I know there are people on both sides of spectrum who refuse to watch shows depending on whether it is dubbed or not, and I trust GAFers when it comes to something like this.

Sorry if these get ask a lot, but my anime knowledge is slim to none. (Really the only anime I have a big appreciation for are Dragon Ball, Cowboy Bebop, and Miyazaki films) I'll probably pop in here for more questions and suggestions as time goes on too. Thanks.

1) Crunchyroll is one of the comparatively few legal anime streaming websites. It's pretty good and gets a decent number of the airing anime each season. I haven't used it in a while but I never bought a subscription. I've never tried any other websites so others will probably fill you in.

2) It's really your choice whether you want to watch dub or sub. I know some people who just can't stand japanese voices so they have to watch dubs. I also know some people who are sub purists and can't stand a majority of the dubs. Again, to reiterate, really your choice but some shows do admittedly have cringe-worthy dubs. I personally watch more subs than dubs but I never dismiss or pass on a good dub.

and Code Geass is definitely a good watch. It's faaaabulous and you'll be entertained even in the second season, which is a trainwreck.

1. Crunchryoll is fine as are other legal streaming sites like Hulu and Funimation. I don't have a subscription, so I couldn't tell you if it's worth it or not though. You could probably get away without one since there's plenty of stuff available for non-members.

2. For Code Geass? Can't go wrong with either one, but I think the consensus is the sub is better thanks to the voice actor of the protagonist being much more extravagant in his role.

If you ever need recommendations for anything, don't be afraid to ask. The people here know what they're talking about for the most part. As a Dragon Ball fan, there's a lot of stuff I can recommend you, but I'd rather not overwhelm you just yet. See how you like Geass for now.

wonzo

Banned
Mirai Nikki 24

mirainikki.gif

i forgot just how incredible mirai nikki was. once this is all said and done it'll make okada look like shakespeare. i fucking love it!

cajunator

Banned
Accel World. It sucks, you want to avoid it.

I have to watch Guilty Crown and then I will take on this show head on.

She needs more singing.

NO SINGING NO FUCKING SALE

1. CR is a legit streaming site. They have HD streams of varying quality as well.

2. In the debate of dub vs. sub, the only advice I can give is that anything streamed as it airs will be sub-only, the vast majority of shows are never dubbed for NA/EU release, and the ones that are will require you to wait a long time for the dubbed release. It's easier to learn to love subs if you want to watch anything remotely close to when it airs.

3. Code Geass is something best enjoyed after you've been deeper down the rabbit hole. It's not a "starter" anime as those sorts of things go.

You guys are competing to see whose avatar kills me first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom