• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

@MUWANdo

Banned
Any news on Nano Assault 3DS?

They're just waiting on Nintendo at this point, it should be out soon. (There's a trailer for EX on the EU eShop now, was it there before?)

Majesco is still planning on releasing the original game at retail in PAL-land, believe it or not.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If they announce Virtual Console for the Wii U tomorrow, what are the chances of it being up by Thursday?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I can't believe I'm asking this, but...

Does anyone know if there is a reason as to WHY Nintendo continually dissuades folks from using flash drives as USB storage on the Wii U?

I ask as the Wii U Deluxe bundle runs games OFF internal flash memory, and I'm puzzled as to why NCL makes full use of internal flash but warns against external flash.

Theoretically, any process taking place on the external drive should mirror what happens to files/games stored on the internal flash memory, right?

Mr E.

Does anyone know if there is a reason as to WHY Nintendo continually dissuades folks from using flash drives as USB storage on the Wii U?

I ask as the Wii U Deluxe bundle runs games OFF internal flash memory, and I'm puzzled as to why NCL makes full use of internal flash but warns against external flash.

Theoretically, any process taking place on the external drive should mirror what happens to files/games stored on the internal flash memory, right?

I'm not a tech guy but from what I can gather flash drives, thumb drives etc are prone to failures when required to overwrite a lot.
They recommend a dedicated HD to avoid future problems. I think.

zigg

I'm not a tech guy but from what I can gather flash drives, thumb drives etc are prone to failures when required to overwrite a lot.
This is my understanding too, but then I'm forced to ask myself what the hell we're doing with the 3DS and SD.

Wii U internal Flash is almost certainly a very different class than your typical USB stick though.

Erethian

Not necessarily failure, but flash drives have a write limit.

Erethian

All Flash has a write limit. Flash applications like SSDs are just optimized (expensively, natch) for lots of writes, quickly.

SSD also uses more expensive flash memory that supports a much higher number of write cycles before it reaches its limit.

M3d10n

Because most USB flask sticks are much slower than hard disks, usually not getting even half of the maximum speed for USB2.0.

The internal flash is guaranteed to offer the required performance because it was designed for that, like SSDmdrives.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
uxwGK.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Jake Hunter: Rondo of Revenge (Arc System Works | ¥4.200) Upcoming (01/31)
  • @Simple DL Series Vol. 7: The Cheating Boyfriend: Assault! Caught On the Scene (D3 Publisher | ¥300) Upcoming (01/30)
  • peakvox: Mew Mew Train (Fun Unit | ¥500) Upcoming (01/30)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Madoola no Tsubasa (Sunsoft | Famicom | ¥500) Upcoming (01/30)
  • Puyo Puyo (SEGA | Game Gear | ¥300) Upcoming (01/30)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

The internal flash is implemented on a dedicated embedded flash bus/protocol (eMMC), where a flash controller is embedded within the memory chips, and with the proper cooperation from the host software it can use the flash optimally, guaranteeing a certain level of speed and wearing performance, even when the flash itself is not of the most durable (and expensive) SLC type.

That is not the case with arbitrary flash devices you might plug in the usb ports - those could both use cheaper TLC flash (least number of write cycles of all NAND flash types) and employ controllers which might or might not work optimally with the access patterns exhibited by the host.

TL;DR internal flash has certain controlled characteristics which can guarantee certain performance levels; arbitrary flash you plug in the usb does not have those; IOW, your mileage with usb flash may vary.

That said, I'm running all my WiiU DD content from a flash drive.

Chuckpebble

GREAT INFO!

That said, I'm running all my WiiU DD content from a flash drive.

They are convenient as they're small, quiet and most importantly to me you don't have to worry about turning them off. I found a little trick for that though. I plugged my HDD into the power plug on the back of my DVR and set the DVR to cut the power when I turn it off. So now I can basically power the HDD with my remote control.

zigg

...arbitrary flash you plug in the usb does not have those; IOW, your mileage with usb flash may vary.
Obviously I get this, but I'm still not sure why it's then OK to use SD for 3DS then. SD is just as much arbitrary Flash as a USB stick.

bryehn

I bought The Cave and saw that "Add Needed Funds" was no longer an option :/

Hope it's just a temporary bug.

Also, has any news surfaced about our 10% discount/refunds?

Qurupeke

I hope everyone heard the news. :) Virtual Console is coming to the Wii U! And there's also GBA!

Also, Balloon Fight is now available for 30 cents. I am not sure if you can keep the game after the 30 months period.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
GBA for WiiU but not for 3DS? wtfisthisshit

Haha, my thoughts exactly. I hope it's just unannounced for the 3DS at this point. Maybe by the time GBA VC released, NNID will be tied across systems and players won't have to buy multiple copies of the same game.
Ha. :(

M3d10n

Obviously I get this, but I'm still not sure why it's then OK to use SD for 3DS then. SD is just as much arbitrary Flash as a USB stick.

3DS games are smaller and need to fill much less RAM than Wii U games. Also, don't SD cards have less I/O hardware in them than USB sticks?

Robin64

Can anyone confirm or deny if these 30p/30c games are ours to *keep*, or are we just getting them for a certain period before they expire? It's not clear.

also

Banned
Can anyone confirm or deny if these 30p/30c games are ours to *keep*, or are we just getting them for a certain period before they expire? It's not clear.

You keep them. After 30 days they only revert to their original price.

Roto13

They say the Virtual Console is coming in the spring but Balloon Fight is there right now? Wouldn't that mean the Virtual Console is there now? :p

zigg

3DS games are smaller and need to fill much less RAM than Wii U games. Also, don't SD cards have less I/O hardware in them than USB sticks?
I don't think it's an issue of reading, though, but rather writing. USB sticks' raison d'être is to store large data files that change rarely and can be read quickly—making them IMO a good fit for software storage. It's the save data that I'm wondering about, which is likely written more often.

As for the I/O, I believe so, because I believe USB is significantly more complex than SD. But I don't believe there's a difference in the Flash itself.

serplux

Sucks for PAL owners but there should at least be an option. Is it me or do some games feel better in 50 Hz than 60 Hz. I always liked how Sonic 1-3 ran. Plus the music sounds better.

also

Banned
Sucks for PAL owners but there should at least be an option. Is it me or do some games feel better in 50 Hz than 60 Hz. I always liked how Sonic 1-3 ran. Plus the music sounds better.
I once Played SSB Meele at a friend's house and his TV couldn't display the game at 60 Hz. It was horrible, like playing in the slow motion mode. My eyes adapted after a few matches but that day I wowed to never buy a 50Hz game again.

zroid

Banned
I bought Balloon Fight because I'm weak, but I'm REALLY hype for F-Zero next month, and eventually Punch Out (which I still don't own in any form) and Super Metroid on dat GamePad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I bought Balloon Fight because I'm weak, but I'm REALLY hype for F-Zero next month, and eventually Punch Out (which I still don't own in any form) and Super Metroid on dat GamePad.

I'll probably wait until Super Metroid, although I'm really interested in seeing the emulator.

I'll buy all of these. Why? Because they're thirty-fucking-cents.

I'll recoup my costs by taking a penny at the gas station instead of leaving one.

Drago

30¢ for Balloon Fight is perfect pricing. :p

I'll probably get all of these special VC games, even if I own all of the NES games being offered (but none of the SNES) - I'm not gonna say no to 30¢ games, and I have $4 left on my account anyways.

Top Bottom