• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch and memory

Cottiny

Banned
If you buy mostly physical then 64GB will be fine for at least some years. Then if you need it you can buy a 128GB microSDz which will be even cheaper at that time.

Cottiny

Banned
I'll be going 100% digital when I buy a Switch again (sold my previous unit). It just makes more sense for a portable modern device. Gonna have to save up for a 200GB card tho.

Right but Nintendo doesn't make any discounts or sales like Steam, I would totally agree with you if that was the case.

Ludist210

I got a SanDisk 128 GB micro SDXC card a month or so ago when Amazon put it on sale. Right now, here's what I have on my Switch...

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (physical)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (physical)
  • Just Dance 2017 (physical)
  • LEGO City Undercover (physical)
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris (physical)
  • Super Bomberman R (physical)
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
  • Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero
  • Blaster Master 0 (and all DLC)
  • World of Goo
  • Little Inferno
  • I am Setsuna
  • Disgaea 5 Complete Demo
All digital games are on the micro SDXC card, and physical game saves are mixed between the SDXC card and internal memory...but I have 24.7 GB free on physical, and 113 GB free on the SDXC card.

I'm 100% physical so far. I can't see the point of buying digital when you can get physical games for less. I haven't even bothered with a SD card yet, the internal space is perfectly fine for patches and game saves.

7roject28

I should have bought the 200gb Sandisk when Frys had it on sale for $69. But then I also want physical for the collection of it and resell. Bought Arms but I'm not feeling that game. So I can at least resell it and not have it sit there in the corner regretting that purchase and put it back towards something else.

I own two boxed games and fast rmx as digital, I removed my SD card for the time being because the internal 32GB is ample for how I use the device currently, it's also a slight bit faster loading then an SD card, only just.

If you plan to buy digital games then I would suggest getting a 64gb card or higher, you can always remove it before installing a game or two you might play often so it's on the faster internal storage.

Right but Nintendo doesn't make any discounts or sales like Steam, I would totally agree with you if that was the case.

This is SO not true. I bought MP Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles for 10€ each. Normally I think they are 20€. They had that sale thing when they brought them on the E-shop. Bought also DKCR during that.

I've also gotten some other games very cheaply from the Eshop. They don't have massive hype campaign sale schemes, but there is usually at least some games discounted.

One just needs to check regularly what they have.

Also there's been some big third parties for dirt cheap, but I own them already. Darksiders for example. Or AC, I think it was cheap too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cuningas de Häme;241246417 said:
This is SO not true. I bought MP Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles for 10€ each. Normally I think they are 20€. They had that sale thing when they brought them on the E-shop. Bought also DKCR during that.

I've also gotten some other games very cheaply from the Eshop. They don't have massive hype campaign sale schemes, but there is usually at least some games discounted.

One just needs to check regularly what they have.

Also there's been some big third parties for dirt cheap, but I own them already. Darksiders for example. Or AC, I think it was cheap too.

Actually I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single discount for a Switch game on the eshop yet. Like... not one.

I still don't have a SD card for mine because well there aren't a ton of games I'm interested in yet and going physical for the stuff you want means you really don't need to rush out and get one.

samred

My hunch: By the time you have enough purchased games that you're eager to jump from 64GB to 128GB, the 128GB cards will be down to $20ish. I'm rocking a 64GB card right now and get a ton of review code, meaning, I have most major games installed, not as cartridges. Between internal and SD, I have 57GB free right now, with 16 installed games + the giant Dragon Quest Heroes 1 + 2 demo.

The catch will be if you're eager to get digital versions of any giant games coming down the pipeline like DQH or XC2. Those could be in the 10-20GB range, as opposed to the 1-4GB range of "big" games as of late.

sounds like 64 is good enough for now esp if you know youll buy most of hte larger games in physical form

also, if youre going to be using portable mode a lot, are you going to carry it in a case? if so, its not really necesary to keep everything digital, because the case will be able to carry all the physical games anyways

Do you need to have every game downloaded at all times?
Or are you find with downloading games that you want to play and then removing them after?

antibolo

Banned
Wait until you actually need one. I haven't needed one yet, and by the time I'll need one the prices will most likely have gone down compared to when I bought the actual console.

Also, according to tests the internal storage is faster, and as of right now the Switch OS still doesn't let you move apps between internal and SD (apps automatically install to SD if you have one inserted). So any game you install while you have an SD card will go to the slower SD card storage and you can't control it.

Tailzo

My hunch: By the time you have enough purchased games that you're eager to jump from 64GB to 128GB, the 128GB cards will be down to $20ish. I'm rocking a 64GB card right now and get a ton of review code, meaning, I have most major games installed, not as cartridges. Between internal and SD, I have 57GB free right now, with 16 installed games + the giant Dragon Quest Heroes 1 + 2 demo.

The catch will be if you're eager to get digital versions of any giant games coming down the pipeline like DQH or XC2. Those could be in the 10-20GB range, as opposed to the 1-4GB range of "big" games as of late.

Sorry a bit off-topic, but DQ Heroes is releasing in the west?

Lylo

Yeah, it's hard to tell, i think only you know what fits you best.

I had a 128GB card that died without specific reason just before the ARMS Testpunch. Now i bought a 256GB card because i don't want to keep swapping the card and i think it'll be enough for the entire Switch lifespan, i just hope it doesn't die like the last one...

Cartho

I went with a SanDisk 128gb. It feels like the best size per £ spent. I am mostly physical - I only buy digital really if games are digital only. 128gb will last a good while I mean ARMS is only 2.2gb.

zigg

I've got

- NBA Playgrounds
- ARMS Global Testpunch
- Snipperclips
- VOEZ
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo
- Splatoon 2 Global Testfire
- Graceful Explosion Machine
- Blaster Master Zero
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (updates for physical version + DLC)
- KAMIKO
- Puyo Puyo Tetris (save data for physical version)

and I don't need a card yet; I have 12.4 GB free and the biggest reason is NBA Playgrounds (which is supposed to get an update to halve its 7.4 GB size at some point in the near future.)

Obviously I'm buying some games physical here, but why not just wait to get the microSD until you need it?

They'll always be available, and they only go down in price/up in capacity.

I went with a 200 GB card because I already know I'm gonna love playing indies on it, and like you said, anything I may just wanna play at all times like Smash (I should've gotten MK8D digital) will be on there too.

All digital here to. I bought a 128gb for my switch when I got it for £20 in the UK. I have Zelda, Mario Kart, puyo puyo Tetris and Othello and have just under 100gb left. That's not including the internal storage I haven't used yet .

What? No, that's a massive hassle. Come into the future, my man.
I mean, it's nice to have all the games on one system, but is it truly a MASSIVE hassle? If you're carrying your system, you're probably carrying it in a case, which likely has pouches for the cartidges. Popping them in and out takes seconds.

Plus cartridges are cool!

:p

I have MK8D, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Snipperclips, and a few others on my system with no SD card and I'm not close to filling it up. You should be fine without one for a few months.

Dremorak

Banned
I bought a 128gb and a 64gb on sale for like 60usd I think?
I've only used about 10% of the 128gb card with Shovel knight, Garou, Metal slug 3, Thumper, snake pass, Minecraft, snipperclips, blaster master, and about 4 demos. So for smaller indie stuff size is a non issue.

I'd say 64 gb is fine, just be aware you will probably need a bigger one at some point. (maybe when they are cheaper in a year or so?)

pbsapeer

Banned
All digital here to. I bought a 128gb for my switch when I got it for £20 in the UK. I have Zelda, Mario Kart, puyo puyo Tetris and Othello and have just under 100gb left. That's not including the internal storage I haven't used yet .
Damn where did you get that??

Top Bottom