• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

Raoh

Many would argue that RE4 isn't even survival-horror

dSOfu.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/o8u95/survival_horror_vs_action_horror/

That doesn't make it a bad game or anything. But it definitely relies heavily on action. All indications are that TLoU will lean a lot more toward the survival-horror category. They've indicated that ammo will be scarce and the trailer showed that it's some times better to just run than continue fighting.

damn it, now i want to play carrier and the thing....

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
has anybody "contacted" ellen page on twitter or something, linking the trailer?. i would love to see/read her reaction.

I think the more you see the Ellie character... the less it looks like Page.

There's definitely a resemblance though. Especially at first.

Ricky_R

lastofus25axw0.gif

Quick and dirty.

haha

You should stop her when she reaches the left side and add a message to the right like "up in your thread, I ain't reading shit!" or something.

He really looks too much like an older Drake imo. He looks so much like him that's who I'm reminded of when I see this character. It's kind of disheartening, and I hate Ellen Page's look so I'm not into the girl either. I'm much more interested in how the gameplay will be because I can't seem to muster any feeling about the characters looks right now.

I don't get this. Outside of the body structure and similar short hair, they don't look that similar when it comes to facial features (not sure if that's the correct term).

dSOfu.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/o8u95/survival_horror_vs_action_horror/

That doesn't make it a bad game or anything. But it definitely relies heavily on action. All indications are that TLoU will lean a lot more toward the survival-horror category. They've indicated that ammo will be scarce and the trailer showed that it's some times better to just run than continue fighting.

Hmmm good games and bad games on both sides, I have no clear cut preference as far as which style I like better, but it's definitely a lot tenser to play the games on the left hand side.

To me, RE5 is not even an "action horror" game. It's just an action game, with monsters. No horror whatsoever. Same with Dead Rising 1 and 2.

And Parasite Eve 1 is not an "horror" game at all. It's an RPG, with monsters. Maybe I should create my own list...

Chinner

Banned
dead rising 1 is kind of horror but it really depends on how you play it. there is horror, i think, but it's indirect. so you have things like idea of confinement, but it's not in the literal sense - but in the sense that you have time constantly pressuring you to do things. other horror elements are presented indirectly. so you wont have shock-scares, but it's quite traditionally horror with the limited saves. the game can get pretty tense when you're really far away from a save, you've got some survivors back to your save-house, you're main item is about to run out and you're about 5 minutes away from starting your next case-file.

admittedly DR2/OTR have pretty much ruined those elements, but the original is still amazing.

iratA

Thanks for that interview link!

What I got from that interview:

Its great to see ND think they can do more with the story telling in videogames and it seems to me this new project is a real attempt to go deeper in that direction. Dont worry though, we all know that ND isn't going for a Heavy Rain Esque game here, the trailer alone shows this by drawing attention to its combat.

As much as I love Uncharted and its cinematic experiences, when you boil it all down Uncharted still has a lot of room to grow story wise, the characterisations are great, its humor is good, but its still lacking in some areas. I think ND can kind of start a new here and try to push a little harder here, especially on the emotional front and the player's connection to the characters on screen.

I think this game has a real chance at showing how far games can take us emotionally but still be a great game. They've got the technical and artistic team to do it and I have confidence that the music will be stirring, so I think I can see where this might be going.

My interest in this project has risen greatly.

Ironmask

I'm hyped. I mean, i don't even own a current-gen consoles but this is a killer-app for me if it's true to its words.

this and Red Dead Redempion of course.... Rockstar y u put L.A.Noire on Steam?!?

Hyuga

Banned
He really looks too much like an older Drake imo. He looks so much like him that's who I'm reminded of when I see this character. It's kind of disheartening, and I hate Ellen Page's look so I'm not into the girl either. I'm much more interested in how the gameplay will be because I can't seem to muster any feeling about the characters looks right now.

He doesn't look a bit like Drake.
What's the problem? Because he's white and has brown/short hair?
So every white guy with brown/short hair looks the same to you?
Ah, I guess he should have white long hair with a big ass sword? Rr some tattoos on his face, etc.
Right? ;-)

Jhriad

I was already excited about this project and after listening to some of Gustavo Santaolalla's work even more so now. Now I just need to avoid every thread about the game to make sure I know as little as possible going in.

Globox_82

Banned
Ah, I guess he should have white long hair with a big ass sword? Rr some tattoos on his face, etc.
Right? ;-)
Agree, looks nothing like Drake. Only thing they have in common is they are probably of same race...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
great to see ND think they can do more with the story telling in videogames and it seems to me this new project is a real attempt to go deeper in that direction. Dont worry though, we all know that ND isn't going for a Heavy Rain Esque game here, the trailer alone shows this by drawing attention to its combat.

During my interview Bruce Starley offered an interesting example about what they are going after in terms of storytelling. He made a reference to the U2 chapters set in Tibet, noting how your early interaction with the villagers and the gameplay sections with Tanzin in the ica cave created a subconscious attachment to both so that when you get back to the village and experience what happens then (not spoiling for those who haven't played U2 yet) you as a player feel more emotionally involved with the action.

With The Last Of Us they are basically trying to extend that design philosophy to encompass the whole game from the beginning to the end.

Also interesting is how they are approaching music. They (Bruce and Neil) said music isn't there to simply double up what you are already doing, to enphasize the emotions u are already getting. What can the music add that's not already there? Just because there is a scary moment doesn't mean the music need to be scary. Same with emotional moments/emotional music. More interesting to them is having the music add depth to the whole situation, make you think of another part of the story or of another charater that might not even be there.

iratA

During my interview Bruce Starley offered an interesting example about what they are going after in terms of storytelling. He made a reference to the U2 chapters set in Tibet, noting how your early interaction with the villagers and the gameplay sections with Tanzin in the ica cave created a subconscious attachment to both so that when you get back to the village and experience what happens then (not spoiling for those who haven't played U2 yet) you as a player feel more emotionally involved with the action.

With The Last Of Us they are basically trying to extend that design philosophy to encompass the whole game from the beginning to the end.

Also interesting is how they are approaching music. They (Bruce and Neil) said music isn't there to simply double up what you are already doing, to enphasize the emotions u are already getting. What can the music add that's not already there? Just because there is a scary moment doesn't mean the music need to be scary. Same with emotional moments/emotional music. More interesting to them is having the music add depth to the whole situation, make you think of another part of the story or of another charater that might not even be there.

Wow thanks for the further insight! That all sounds wonderful to me and something that I hope is being done, ie not just 'blowing smoke up our pipes' if you know what I mean. They sound sincere enough and seem to have put some real thought into it. The trouble devs have had in the past when shooting for this, is they some how forget there still needs to be a game in there. This is where I think ND can succeed, they're not the type of studio to totally forsake gameplay for any one ambition, so I have great confidence in this project.

i-Lo

So I am still unclear whether it is to be a survival or action horror game. That said, I really REALLY hope that they improve two things:

1. Hyper vigilant AI who exactly behind which cover the player is.

2. Enemy spawning in large numbers out of nowhere when players alerted the AI.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So I am still unclear whether it is to be a survival or action horror game. That said, I really REALLY hope that they improve two things:

1. Hyper vigilant AI who exactly behind which cover the player is.

2. Enemy spawning in large numbers out of nowhere when players alerted the AI.

Going by the trailer (which teases gameplay info) the infected seem to come in "out of nowhere" attracted by either noise or smell. They also seem to feed on corpses (2 out of 3 infected rush towards human corpses upon entering the room).

i-Lo

Going by the trailer (which teases gameplay info) the infected seem to come in "out of nowhere" attracted by either noise or smell. They also seem to feed on corpses (2 out of 3 infected rush towards human corpses upon entering the room).

So in other words the scenario is an enabler for the practice we saw in UC3 for point 2. However, I still believe that clairvoyance should not be instilled in the AI.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So this is the real Uncharted 3?
I was musing with the idea that their A tech team is working on this. Who knows. UC3 did have its creative people in charge though, most notably Henning of course, who I consider the brainchild of the series.

i-Lo

I was musing with the idea that their A tech team is working on this. Who knows. UC3 did have its creative people in charge though, most notably Henning of course, who I consider the brainchild of the series.

don't u mean that UC3 was the brainchild of Amy Henning?

Irish

ellen page is cool but where did they get the time machine to go back and get young james brolin?

That doesn't look like Christian Bale.

Also, I have never seen the Ellen Page connection. They don't really look alike to me. I mean, have any of you seen Ellen Page. That forehead and chin.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Agree, looks nothing like Drake. Only thing they have in common is they are probably of same race...

Given the extraordinary variety of possible human faces, I'd say this face looks very similar (but not identical) to Drake's. Was it on purpose? Probably not. It could just be the product of "model a manly, handsome white guy." But they could be brothers. They look more similar than most brothers, even.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EDGE. It's on their cover this month and they claim the preview is "in-depth". I think 8 pages.

Print coverage embargo ends in January, so anything you see on mags this month comes from the ealry December/VGA press tour that the online media has already reported about. I doubt EDGE had access to exclusive info.

Loudninja

Someone posted some details from OPM:

-Not as linear as the Uncharted games but not open world, you can choose to go into places such as a coffee shop but its optional

-Ammo is in short supply, so don't expect shootouts like in uncharted.

-There will be situations where you have to help the other,but not in an obvious way.

-The developers hate games where you have to brainlessly defend a NPC

-They wanted to steer away from post apocalyptic cliches

-The first version of the game looks very similar to UC , so they use a new way of rendering and alterted the lightning. The camerawork is rougher too.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/the-last-of-us-new-info-in-nex/1271642

That just some of the info.

Right? ;-)
That goes for everyone on GAF. Every white guy with short or cropped hair looks the same to them. It's pathetic. But if you look at the line up of many soccer (yeah, soccer, I don't watch it so...) teams, you'll see a shit ton of guys that all share the same haircut. I came to this conclusion a few years back when everyone bitched about bald white guys in games and saw the winning soccer teams from around the world in the paper. I laughed.

Someone posted some details from OPM:

-Not as linear as the Uncharted games but not open world, you can choose to go into places such as a coffee shop but its optional

-Ammo is in short supply, so don't expect shootouts like in uncharted.

-There will be situations where you have to help the other,but not in an obvious way.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/the-last-of-us-new-info-in-nex/1271642

That just some of the info.

That sounds good. When can we get more info?

Angry Fork

haha

You should stop her when she reaches the left side and add a message to the right like "up in your thread, I ain't reading shit!" or something.

I don't get this. Outside of the body structure and similar short hair, they don't look that similar when it comes to facial features (not sure if that's the correct term).

Right? ;-)

image.php
image.php

xlm64.jpg

Nathan_Drake_in_Uncharted_3.png
the_last_of_us_monsters_2.jpg

They look almost exactly alike to me, even more so in motion during the trailer, with Joel just being older. I'm not trying to shit on the game, I'm just a bit surprised people can't see the striking resemblance. You can't be serious with looks "nothing" like Drake. They could be father son and nobody would be surprised. The browline, eyes, and jawline are almost exact imo. The only bit of difference I see is the nose, barely.

They need to have some really good gameplay mechanics in this ala the sort of things Valve did in HL2 and it's episodes (eg placing turrets in tactical positions, physics puzzles, all of that) for this to succeed. I can't see it being all that different unless they go all the way when it comes to physics puzzles. It's gonna get boring if you're just looking for ammo all the time.

Squire

Banned
Print coverage embargo ends in January, so anything you see on mags this month comes from the ealry December/VGA press tour that the online media has already reported about. I doubt EDGE had access to exclusive info.

The way it's worded, it pretty much sounds that way. I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom