• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Klyka

Banned
People complaining about zombies realize that if you are prone you are invisible to them, right? Like, literally invisible? You can be 30cm next to them and they have no idea you are there.

Anton668

hell, in the current state you dont need a weapon.
spawn, loot food and drink from everybody playing spawn roulette, head into hills, repeat.
boring, yeah prolly....
granted, depending on what they come up with to combat ppl disconnecting to avoid dyeing, that may not work so well.

Anton668

People complaining about zombies realize that if you are prone you are invisible to them, right? Like, literally invisible? You can be 30cm next to them and they have no idea you are there.

well, we'll see about that after the update...

eta: sry bout X2 post. stupid PS3 browser...

Irish

Changelog:

* [NEW] Player body exists for five seconds after disconnect (UNCONFIRMED IF WORKING)
* [NEW] Infected see based on eye direction, not on body direction as before

5 Seconds still seems too short

burst

As good as it has sold over the last weeks, why would they?

perhaps they might lower the price to gain more traction with the people that didn't want to shell out for the full price. More people with the game, means more friends they get interested in the game.

Also being prone doesn't work all the time when you are next to a zombie, ive had them go aggro randomly.

Xdrive05

Questions about this mod:

1) How nomad friendly is it? (ie, if you don't already have a lot of PC gaming friends with arma ii, can you still easily jump in and group up with strangers?

2) is there a proximity/team voice chat, or do you have to use a 3rd party thing like steam/team speak/vent? (In which case not having friends with arma ii is a deal breaker)

3) is it too late to get started at this point? (ie, will newbs get griefed and killed by the myriad of experienced players out there)

Thanks in advance. :)

Questions about this mod:

1) How nomad friendly is it? (ie, if you don't already have a lot of PC gaming friends with arma ii, can you still easily jump in and group up with strangers?

2) is there a proximity/team voice chat, or do you have to use a 3rd party thing like steam/team speak/vent? (In which case not having friends with arma ii is a deal breaker)

3) is it too late to get started at this point? (ie, will newbs get griefed and killed by the myriad of experienced players out there)

Thanks in advance. :)

1. Everyone spawns at a random point on the coast. The only time the game lets you know where you are is when you spawn (shows up bottom left). Then everyone in your group would have to physically make their way to where ever you'd want to meet up. You'd likely want to use an external map (for example open it in the Steam overlay and co-ordinate that way).

2. Yes there is direct chat in game up to a certain distance, but it doesn't work on certain patch combinations etc. It's something that needs fixing/is fixed. I don't really know because I haven't used it recently. You'd probably want a third party voice service anyway, or you'll have to co-ordinate using in-game chat which would be rather easy for some random guy to tag along and waste everyone.

3. I wouldn't say so. To some extent a guy with a Makarov can be just as deadly as a fully kitted out survivor. You'll easily survive for a while if you head in-land. Everyone spawns on the coast and that's where the two major cities are.

Edit: Here's the big ol' helpful map I use.

I'm thinking this is going to change with the next patch. It's ridiculous how you can practically touch a Zombie while prone.

Kritz

Banned
3. I wouldn't say so. To some extent a guy with a Makarov can be just as deadly as a fully kitted out survivor.

To this day I still freak the fuck out and become a cowering piece of shit the moment I see a player, even with starting gear. That gun can fuck you up. It blows out its entire clip in a second, and reloads just as fast.

I spent 20 minutes in Cherno looting the firestation and supermarket, got myself an assault rifle and enough shit to last me for days. I decide to exit to the west, because I'd get to a treeline sooner. Bad idea. Guy spawns on coast, I hear a slew of quick shots, I'm dead on my ass. And some guy fresh off the beach has all my hard work.

Can't wait for this patch. Can't wait.

Xdrive05

1. Everyone spawns at a random point on the coast. The only time the game lets you know where you are is when you spawn (shows up bottom left). Then everyone in your group would have to physically make their way to where ever you'd want to meet up. You'd likely want to use an external map (for example open it in the Steam overlay and co-ordinate that way).

2. Yes there is direct chat in game up to a certain distance, but it doesn't work on certain patch combinations etc. It's something that needs fixing/is fixed. I don't really know because I haven't used it recently. You'd probably want a third party voice service anyway, or you'll have to co-ordinate using in-game chat which would be rather easy for some random guy to tag along and waste everyone.

3. I wouldn't say so. To some extent a guy with a Makarov can be just as deadly as a fully kitted out survivor. You'll easily survive for a while if you head in-land. Everyone spawns on the coast and that's where the two major cities are.

Edit: Here's the big ol' helpful map I use.

Thanks much for the great reply. My main concern is getting in with a new group and voice chatting easily. If I don't already have some dudes to play with, then team speak, etc., doesn't really help. I just don't want it to be a defacto death match because random dudes think I'm just gonna shoot them so they always shoot me first, you know.

If direct chat works, then it should be okay I guess.

For anyone interested, here's a picture of the map BIS sells covering one of my computer chairs:
Photo%20Jun%2013%2C%2012%2011%2018%20AM.jpg

Excuse the shitty iPhone image. It's much nicer than the on line maps are and I think you can make out stuff on the map better than if you were to zoom all the way in on the in-game map.

Is the US 38 not GMT-10 anymore?

It is.

nekosaur

There are currently 0 zombies on US 38. I haven't been able to get to a populated area yet, but there are six people on the server and the counter hasn't moved. Bugged?

Edit: yup, no zombies are spawning

dionysus

Yaldog
Who has a handgun at home Rocket?

The current map from dayz is supposed to be a former region of the USSR right. No idea what ownership rates are in that part of the world.

But here in the good ole USofA, there is at least 1 gun per adult in the US. 38% of households hold a gun, and there are 57 million adult gun owners. (The numbers work because gun owners typically own more than one gun.)

If he wanted to make a realistic spawn based on US rates, you would either spawn with nothing or a hunting rifle. Hand guns are less common.

That got me thinking, if your house was in dayz how much of a jackpot would it be? Mine would be a goldmine: 6 months of beans and rice, an assault rifle, a hunting rifle, a shotgun, and 2 handguns and more ammunition than you could use. Here in western Colorado that would probably be below the norm. Don't have any morphine or road flares though.

Orgun

The current map from dayz is supposed to be a former region of the USSR right. No idea what ownership rates are in that part of the world.

But here in the good ole USofA, there is at least 1 gun per adult in the US. 38% of households hold a gun, and there are 57 million adult gun owners. (The numbers work because gun owners typically own more than one gun.)

If he wanted to make a realistic spawn based on US rates, you would either spawn with nothing or a hunting rifle. Hand guns are less common.

That got me thinking, if your house was in dayz how much of a jackpot would it be? Mine would be a goldmine: 6 months of beans and rice, an assault rifle, a hunting rifle, a shotgun, and 2 handguns and more ammunition than you could use. Here in western Colorado that would probably be below the norm. Don't have any morphine or road flares though.

Holy shit, are you prepping for war!?

I have some sharp kitchen knives, that's about it. Don't even have any tinned food.

Haeleos

I'm getting "You have been kicked from the game: Battleye Client not responding." error messages. I have searched all over the net for answers, but all I could see is people changing their MUP setting on a specific brand of router to fix it.

I have tried reinstalling the mod, reinstalling Battleye, verifying the integrity through steam, putting my router in DMZ, turning off windows firewall, and running the game in administrator mode. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this issue? I can play on any server for about 10 seconds to 15 mins before this message randomly pops up.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm getting "You have been kicked from the game: Battleye Client not responding." error messages. I have searched all over the net for answers, but all I could see is people changing their MUP setting on a specific brand of router to fix it.

I have tried reinstalling the mod, reinstalling Battleye, verifying the integrity through steam, putting my router in DMZ, turning off windows firewall, and running the game in administrator mode. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this issue? I can play on any server for about 10 seconds to 15 mins before this message randomly pops up.

Does anyone know what's causing this?
Have you been able to play at length at all? As in has this just started happening or is this your first time playing and it's doing this?

Haeleos

Have you been able to play at length at all? As in has this just started happening or is this your first time playing and it's doing this?

I have played ARMA 2 multiplayer before, as well as many other mods for ARMA 2, and never got this error message. Only with DayZ.

From Battleye:
Client not responding: This can happen if the server's or your connection times out for quite a while or breaks up completely. A common solution is to update your modem/router's firmware. Other than that, please ensure that there are no problems with your internet connection (you might want to contact your ISP).

Which isn't terribly helpful. I suggest contacting them directly: support[at]battleye.com.

I've been away for a while, but does GAF have it's own DayZ server now?
US 38 Texas

WedgeX

Banned

That's...a lot of guns. My place is better prepared for the surviving, not the fighting. Canned food, water bottles, bandages, flashlights, compass, maps, matches, hunting knife, a backpack, jerrycan, and toolkit. With the added bonus of a Boy Scout handbook and the Zombie Survival Guide.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If shit went down, I'd have to start with basically nothing. Well, I could bring my skateboard along. And my MacBook. Roflcopter.

.nimrod

So who just shot me and thegabman at the north-east airstrip on US 38?

I lived for at least 15 hours :/

Not cool, man.

Also, i just lost all my stuff 10min before that in some reefs

8HgL6l.jpg

feels bad

abusori

Not cool, man.

I can guess...

Getting near that place is usually certain death if you aren't in mumble. We truly appreciate it though, people don't come up there too much. :p

Anton668

Not cool, man.

A: what the others said

B: as of late, the place just aint safe anymore. I think that group that massacred us the other day keeps coming back.

WedgeX

Banned
Rocket said:
THE PROPOSAL:

- When you look directly at someone closeby who has VERY low humanity, you hear a heartbeat noise.
- Lower the humanity, the louder the sound.
- Distance away decreases the sound.
- Humanity is no longer listed in the Debug monitor.
- Humanity is no longer a HUD item.
- Ergo, you don't know your humanity level directly, i.e. you don't know how others will perceive you.

SOME NOTES:

I asked around after work and we had a discussion. This is what we came up with. I think it's pretty cool, because it puts some of the uncertainty onto those with low humanity and is a fairly passive mechanic. It is an attempt to model the subtle ways you perceive how people are and what they have done. Maybe some blood on their face, the way their eyes are darting, sweat on their forehead. Think about the Bar Scene in the walking dead (SPOILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZOOnovCwU), how did Rick know they were bad? If you study the script you don't see the tension, the little things. This is what I am trying to model.

If this works, MAYBE we expand it a bit, maybe the bigger the group of people around you the more this effect becomes aparent. Or the longer you're alive the better you get, or something.

I like where this is going.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Same. I also love that he's willing to allow it to be so passive and uncertain for people who choose to be bad.

If he manages to successfully emulate "gut feelings" in a video game... every CoD game will have it by next year.
Yup exactly. I hope it gets in. Though I can't see it being implanted for at least a 5 or so more patches.

I've been away so long. I miss some of my E-Buddies.

Kritz

Banned
It'd also be kinda cool if you had the heartbeat go off if people LOOKED at you. Or, something to emulate the feeling of being watched. No directional or distance indications, and perhaps only if you've been away from other players for a long time. Just, an uncertain feeling. The feeling is also triggered by animals.

PetrCobra

It'd also be kinda cool if you had the heartbeat go off if people LOOKED at you. Or, something to emulate the feeling of being watched. No directional or distance indications, and perhaps only if you've been away from other players for a long time. Just, an uncertain feeling. The feeling is also triggered by animals.

that's an awesome idea

Loxley

You know, part of me wants Bohemia Interactive to sweep Rocket up and pull a Valve/Team Fortress 2; meaning they make an officially developed and supported version of DayZ.

But maybe save that for DayZ 2 for ArmA 3 :p

*edit - Ha, just found this article on PC Gamer from a few days ago;

Rumour: DayZ creator instructed to work on mod full-time by Bohemia

The creator of DayZ and Bohemia Interactive employee, Rocket, has been instructed by Bohemia to work on the mod full-time. That’s according to an account of a fan who chatted with him at E3 earlier today, spotted by Craig over on the DayZ subreddit. The account says that Rocket believes that DayZ is “the first step towards Bohemia gearing up to make it into a full standalone game.”

He goes on to say that Rocket talked about having already ported the mod over to the Arma 3 engine, and that “it works great.” Rocket also reportedly said that DayZ has been tested internally with the new tech, and can “handle 100-200 players easily” on a server.

This qualifies as a rumour for now, as the comments are second hand, but Graham will be meeting Rocket at E3 tomorrow. We’ll have solid answers then.

Varna

Haven't played in a while... It's quiet a bit different now. Everyone just shoots on sight. Got into to fire fights just spawning... murdered two people already. :/

I recall someone mentioning a nvidia specific tweak to get some more performance out of this game. Tweaking the max pre-rendered frames? Anyone remember?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Haven't played in a while... It's quiet a bit different now. Everyone just shoots on sight. Got into to fire fights just spawning... murdered two people already. :/

I recall someone mentioning a nvidia specific tweak to get some more performance out of this game. Tweaking the max pre-rendered frames? Anyone remember?
Just be sure to set in game memory to default regardless of how much GFX memory you have. Though don't expect miracles, I have a 680 and average around 40fps in cities, 60 in the countryside.

Top Bottom