• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Zilch

Banned
Pretty sure that youtube vid is fake.

"A new adventure awakens"? What kind of stupid engrish is that?

Funny that every convincing fake is always sold out by the creator's poor grammar.

[Nintex]

I think that SEGA has a real life troll or something...

Someone who enters the Sonic Team office and demands that the game sucks or has some idiotic gameplay or story element.

"Wow guys, this game rocks but you should put in the character that I made: Big the Cat!"

"Woah, this is amazing, but you shouldn't be able to see the emeralds that would rock!"

"Yeah, great job guys, really but you should be able to play with more characters at once and stop every 3 yards!"

"Just like Sonic Adventure, but... seriously remove Sonic he's only cool for twelve year olds and don't forget to give shadow a gun, kids love guns these days..."

"How about we release the beta instead of the full game?"

"Simply stunning, you really outdid yourself but how about we add an level-up system, so Sonic starts out gimped can't do anything and gets more awesome later on!"

"HOLY SHIT... I didn't think you were still capable of making such great games... You know what would really be awesome? A wolf, Sonic should turn into a wolf yeah... so awesome."

It's the only logical explanation for the Sonic Team fuck ups.

Sciz

Zilch said:

Funny that every convincing fake is always sold out by the creator's poor grammar.
You overestimate Sega's marketing department.

This could be fake, for a few reasons

1) "A New Adventure Awakens" is bad grammar

2) Rings are waaay bigger than the size of Sonic's wrist

Of course, the 3D animation is great, so who knows. Maybe the marketers need to play some of those "Learn English" games.

RagnarokX

Zilch said:

But "A new adventure awakens" could be purposely bad grammar; a mixing "A new adventure awaits" and the concept that Sonic's werewolf state "awakens" at night.

ckohler

It's official. There's a Sonic Unleashed forum on Sega's website. The forum's administrator (SegaDawg) is a Sega employee who moderates the forum and deseminates information. He's linked to the video in several places in order to promote it.

The Hermit

[Nintex] said:
I think that SEGA has a real life troll or something...

Someone who enters the Sonic Team office and demands that the game sucks or has some idiotic gameplay or story element.

"Wow guys, this game rocks but you should put in the character that I made: Big the Cat!"

"Woah, this is amazing, but you shouldn't be able to see the emeralds that would rock!"

"Yeah, great job guys, really but you should be able to play with more characters at once and stop every 3 yards!"

"Just like Sonic Adventure, but... seriously remove Sonic he's only cool for twelve year olds and don't forget to give shadow a gun, kids love guns these days..."

"How about we release the beta instead of the full game?"

"Simply stunning, you really outdid yourself but how about we add an level-up system, so Sonic starts out gimped can't do anything and gets more awesome later on!"

"HOLY SHIT... I didn't think you were still capable of making such great games... You know what would really be awesome? A wolf, Sonic should turn into a wolf yeah... so awesome."

It's the only logical explanation for the Sonic Team fuck ups.

:lol :lol

Anyway:

2ymwrro.jpg

RagnarokX

Dwayne said:
Give them a chance, Sonic can have other enemies besides Robotnik...
I think Sonic having other enemies besides Robotnik has been part of the problem... Chaos, Biolizard, Metal Overlord, Dark Doom, Solaris, Erazor Djinn. Why can't we just go back to Robotnik trying to steal the chaos emeralds/master emerald and Sonic having to stop him. Make the badniks look like animals and have animals pop out when you destroy them. Have an animal cage after the boss of a level.

Neo Child

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Nope, that's not it. I don't think it's a Sonic song. I can hear in my head what the notes after he stops whistling should be, I just can't remember the song's name or where it's from.

I was grasping at straws - its the only sonic song that sounds similar.

But I do know that tune somewhere... god dammit can't wait till someone points it out.

RagnarokX

Scribble said:
Ugh, what is it about Sonic-Cult that creeps the heck out of me?
Their various banners including several of Cream in provocative poses, Amy sitting spread-legged with a cigarette, and Tails in a sailor school girl uniform?

Zilch

Banned
plank said:
Why did people thought this teaser was fake?

Are you cleverly using bad grammar to suggest that the bad grammar in the teaser clearly gives it away as a hoax or is this some sort of cosmic coincidence?

plank

Zilch said:
Are you cleverly using bad grammar to suggest that the bad grammar in the teaser clearly gives it away as a hoax or is this some sort of cosmic coincidence?

Um.... no? :|

Innotech said:
Who knows? Could kick ass; could be dangerous; could totally suck.

So for those of you holding your controllers out there? Just hold the forward button on your d-pad already! Let the disappointment begin!

Teknoman

Still though no one really knows how Were-Sonic will play anyway. Might play just like normal Sonic except having some sort of ability to break through objects or something.

Though, they should've just stuck to Super Sonic and Dark Spine Sonic as the two alternate forms. They're trying to go TOO DBZ with Super Sonic and Oozaru Sonic...

Hunahan

Banned
Proven said:
The tune he's whistling sounds kinda familiar, but I'm not sure if I heard it from a game or a cartoon (and by cartoon I don't mean an anime).

First thing I thought of is this slowed down. (first chorus at :24)

Although that really doesn't make sense. :lol

Either way, the Werewolf is the beginning of the end for hopes that this will actually be a decent game, imo. RIP Sonic hype.

D-X

RagnarokX said:
I think Sonic having other enemies besides Robotnik has been part of the problem... Chaos, Biolizard, Metal Overlord, Dark Doom, Solaris, Erazor Djinn. Why can't we just go back to Robotnik trying to steal the chaos emeralds/master emerald and Sonic having to stop him. Make the badniks look like animals and have animals pop out when you destroy them. Have an animal cage after the boss of a level.

Chaos was a good idea. Unfortunately they kept on an on overshadowing Robotnik with each subsequent game - I wouldn't mind a next gen fight against him. Erazor really took the piss.

Still don't like this werewolf idea - it really feels like the series has run out of story (however crap they were at least they were original) ideas and is gonna go through literature from now on.

Scribble

RagnarokX said:
Their various banners including several of Cream in provocative poses, Amy sitting spread-legged with a cigarette, and Tails in a sailor school girl uniform?

Oh, yeah, of course (Especially because a chaos emerald is obscuring Amy's privates). The forum there does feel like some kind of evil, twisted cult, though.

About Were-Sonic:

I would have been more excited if you could tag with Knuckles instead, but the Were-Sonic thing shouldn't be labelled shitty friend alert, as it could add another layer of gameplay.

I hope that "other" layer isn't anything beyond accessing alternate routes when you're Were-Sonic, though.

Christopher

I always liked the whole Eggman isn't the real villian idea - always makes the game seem a bit more epic towards the end instead of the same shit again and again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Christopher said:
I always liked the whole Eggman isn't the real villian idea - always makes the game seem a bit more epic towards the end instead of the same shit again and again.

But "Eggman not being the real villain" is the same shit over and over again. Not only is it done in thousands of games, but Sonic games have done that repeatedly

Scribble

The thing is, most final Eggman battles were brilliant (Especially when you have to chase him and discover that he is much faster than Sonic), and he did seem kind of scary. I don't know why they're downplaying him as the main antagonist of the franchise. Maybe they think that generic monster creature thingies will appeal to the Shadow/Silver crowd more?

D-X

The voice sample we heard sounds like a younger voice actor...

Yep that is the Angel Island theme just slower.

The rings were depicted as that size in Sonic X. Still I think they should be the size shown in the older Sonic cartoons

Zilch said:

Watching the high res MP4 version... if that's a fake, they knocked together some convincing models ahead of time, some excellent lighting effects (there's a trailing glow on the ring), and effects like the fur on his arm shaking around after the slam... I'm not saying it's impossible, but people like that get hired for this sort of thing, and generally don't have the time to make things on this quality level for their own entertainment.

This doesn't look like their usual CG work, which is a shame because that was one of the better things they had going for the last few games. The wolf hand looks really awful stylistically. The whole thing reminds me of the recent Crash Bandicoot reboot, I just can't help but think that.

Top Bottom