• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

silva1991

Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 retail only sales comparison:

JP
all platforms: 64.3% drop
Ps4 only: 45% drop

UK
all platforms: 58% drop
current gen only: 48.8%

$500m day one sold in
$325m first 5 days sold through
100 million hours of online play were logged across 137 million activities in the first 5 days

Now I wonder about the US drop.

A lot of people were missold Destiny 1, it really ended up being something that it wasn't marketed to be. Those people know better this time.

And have many more games to play instead.

Like the new hot game PUBG for the mp crowd.

Seems like Bungies handling of D1 launch finally caught up with them.

Did it stop people from playing rabidly for 3 years. Is it going to stop people from doing the same with D2? No

And that's lol worthy coming from a guy with a pic of titanfall as his avatar. That game blushes at the player retention rate destiny has.

FiveSide

Banned
My biggest question is if this decline is specific to Destiny, or if it's indicative of a trend away from either (A) western games, with a doubling down on domestic releases, or (B) shooters on console.

Does anyone know offhand how the recent entries in Call of Duty and Battlefield did in Japan? Or stuff like The Division?

Also we really need U.S. numbers before drawing any broad conclusions about D2's sales compared to D1. I'd assume that was the market they really focused on developing.

Hari Seldon

Does that mean you don't have time for most RPGs?

Depends on the RPG. With hundreds of days of playtime in WoW and the Diablos, I have permanently burned the desire to "loot hunt" out of my brain. I can see why the crack is effective on players without this background, it certainly got me for a long time.

To be honest I think one things being overlooked here. There's way more to actually choose from now. When D1 came out the new consoles felt like they were only just getting going. We're beyond the mid life cycle point now and there's so many more options.

I also think a lot of customers were never going to return anyway but I'd imagine it's only one of many reasons. Advertising has been much slimmer here in the UK at least too.

Hero

Wonder if Destiny 2 is going to be down in NA as well? Guess if it was breaking the stats D1 set we would have PR already, huh?

Did it stop people from playing rabidly for 3 years. Is it going to stop people from doing the same with D2? No

And that's lol worthy coming from a guy with a pic of titanfall as his avatar. That game blushes at the player retention rate destiny has.

Stop being a fanboy, it's embarrassing to read. Bungie messed up on Destiny 1's launch and they're reaping what they sowed. Destiny 2 took multiple studios and hundreds of people to create and while Titanfall 2 had disappointing sales it also had much lower expectations.

Wonder if Destiny 2 is going to be down in NA as well? Guess if it was breaking the stats D1 set we would have PR already, huh?

It will be down for sure, but will still sell fine. Seems fairly expected to me. I'll be more interested in PC sales. I am waiting for that version myself.

Considering the delay of the PC version, it seems all but guaranteed that NA sales are down. I'm sure once the PC version hits we'll get all of those press releases

Seeing the drops. Could this have something to do with a lot of people holding out for the PC version? I mean, everyone I know is getting it on PC. PC master race, right? ;)

foxdvd

A lot of people were missold Destiny 1, it really ended up being something that it wasn't marketed to be. Those people know better this time.

This...can't be stressed enough..

First, we all know digital sales are stronger 3 years later from the first Destiny. There is no way we can know for sure how much stronger, but I think most will agree that sales are down from Destiny 1.

Second, as the above quote says, a lot of people were put off by the MMO type game that Destiny 1 was. Also, the non-stop nerfs to everything that was fun was beyond frustrating for a lot of people. My group went from 6 playing Destiny 1 to only 3 on Destiny 2. Two of those did not buy it because of the strange coop numbers for each game mode and the frustrations of having odd numbers out depending on which game mode we played...and the other one stopped Destiny 1 because they kept nerfing everything he liked.

Destiny 2 came out at the perfect time...no big games out right now, and a solid month before any true competition hits. It also is NOT an expansion to Destiny 1. There is a lot of game for your dollar here...but unfortunately first impressions are important, and they messed that up with Destiny 1.

luulubuu

npcc2gw69tjylnfm4ap5.gif

Cant buy, too busy dancing

Dunlop

Why are you attacking him? It is 100% true.

The original launch was atrocious and they are paying the price for it now. It's unfortunate as D2 is great but it is really what D1 should have been before releasing it.

Yeah, I bought D1 at launch, and have rarely felt so burned by a game/developer. It's just not enough that a bunch of people that liked Destiny also like the sequel. I might pick up Destiny 2 way down the line when it is on sale with a bunch of the DLC bundled in, but there are just too many other good games out there that I haven't played this year, that are now a lot cheaper than Destiny 2, so I guess Bungie can kind of wait their turn.

Some Nobody

To be honest I think one things being overlooked here. There's way more to actually choose from now. When D1 came out the new consoles felt like they were only just getting going. We're beyond the mid life cycle point now and there's so many more options.

I also think a lot of customers were never going to return anyway but I'd imagine it's only one of many reasons. Advertising has been much slimmer here in the UK at least too.

Yeah this is a good point. A big reason I bought Destiny is I had nothing to play. I've always been a picky gamer I'd gone from inFamous to Watch Dogs and then nothing until suddenly D1 popped up. I love space shit and action and there were RPG elements (tho not as much as I was led to believe), so I bought in.

Three years later, I'm drowning in games and even tempted to give D2 another chance I know I probably won't.

ZanDatsu

The end game requires people using mics and being social. Not surprised it dropped off a lot since D1, too many people just not comfortable doing that.

groansey

If we can call Splatoon 2 a sequel then Destiny 2 isn't far behind it.

Splatoon 2 is absolutely 100% a sequel, fwiw. Anyone who plays both games knows this.

I can't comment on the gameplay of Destiny, as it's not very appealing to me based on a demo run of the first game.
But I can tell you the marketing for Destiny 2 has been awful. The live actors, Dr Manhattan and "ker-azy" Nathan Fillion droid... in bland, generic warhammer space marine get-up making injokes about loot and the first game.

Nah thanks, you're can keep that.

daveo42

Banned

I agree, but I think sales being down from Destiny will be a thing specifically because of how massive the launch of the first game was. Disappointment with how the first game ended up being along with the idea that not much has changed from between Destiny and Destiny 2 will probably keeps sales lower for some time.

The inclusion of story might go a long way in bringing some of those people back in, but for some (like myself) the Destiny ship has sailed.

Vinc

I'm guessing the 4 main factors causing this are

- Increased competition

- General perception of D1

- Softer marketing effort (which might be attributed to their internal metrics about the game's potential?)

- Perceptible lack of a doc brown spider monster.

Splatoon 2 is absolutely 100% a sequel, fwiw. Anyone who plays both games knows this.

I can't comment on the gameplay of Destiny, as it's not very appealing to me based on a demo run of the first game.
But I can tell you the marketing for Destiny 2 has been awful. The live actors, Dr Manhattan and "ker-azy" Nathan Fillion droid... in bland, generic space marine get-up making injokes about loot and the first game. Nah thanks, you're alright.

That's been Destiny's marketing since day 1. It's worked for them so why not keep it up.

I was expecting Destiny to be huge, I mean it's still big but I never expected such a big drop. It's only UK/Japan, but chances are that trend will continue in other regions.

entremet

Not sure why people are discounting digital. Why would you want to switch discs all the time for an evergreen game like Destiny 2? That said it's an FPS in Japan for a console. It was not was never going to light up the charts.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not surprised that sales are down.

Flipside would love to know how many more people went digital this time.

I don't know why this is surprising, digital content isn't included and PC hasn't been released yet. I know all but one or 2 of my friends bought it digital this time which was the reverse of D1. They showed 1.2 million concurrent users a few days ago without PC so it can't be selling too poorly.

Top Bottom