• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben affleck admits to groping Hilarie Burton

Glass Rebel

Obviously. Internet people whipped up in a frenzy right now. I wouldn't want to be a dude who's said or posted anything about anything right now.

That is not to discount the seriousness of the actual gropers and creepesr.

It‘s really crazy how many dudes there are that don‘t make disgusting rape jokes.

How do they do it??

Zen Aku

Some people on the DCEU subreddit are downplaying this whole thing. Saying it's not even that bad, you can't even see his hand.

Fucking shit is disgusting. Idolizing Affleck so much that this shit doesn't mean anything to them.

I just wanted to note that I actually do remember some people being annoyed by this comment years ago, but because A) GoT was not even a fraction as popular in 2011 as it is today and B) Momoa disappeared off the face of the Earth after 2011 and only resurfaced in 2016, most people forgot or never noticed it.

DemWalls

I just wanted to note that I actually do remember some people being annoyed by this comment years ago, but because A) GoT was not even a fraction as popular in 2011 as it is today and B) Momoa disappeared off the face of the Earth after 2011 and only resurfaced in 2016, most people forgot or never noticed it.

I'd also add that, while the joke is as bad now as it was then, the general climate regarding such matters was very different 6 years ago. I'd even argue that social media, while certainly booming, wasn't so all-encompassing.

Some people on the DCEU subreddit are downplaying this whole thing. Saying it's not even that bad, you can't even see his hand.

Fucking shit is disgusting. Idolizing Affleck so much that this shit doesn't mean anything to them.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was DCEU bros who mass reported Rose who called out Ben.

Holy shit the rape joke from Momoa is trending now.

These are terrible things that come to light these days but the witch hunts are getting really stupid now.

Apparently you can't even see the grab in the video. According to them.

Or it was just a quick grab, it's been so long. I don't see why she's making a big deal out of it now.

I mean, he's not as much of a monster as Weinstein, and there are tons of people who do this, why focus on him? What a witch hunt.

Man.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was DCEU bros who mass reported Rose who called out Ben.

All fanbases of all things confirmed trash

Taking rape unseriously is the problem. What the hell is wrong with you? Yes, it's a joke. No, it's not ok.

Also this. The fact that he wasn't serious doesn't make it any less harmful. The twitterer (tweeter?) made a blanket statement probably based on personal experiences which isn't completely fair, but to not take it seriously because of that is missing the forest for the trees

I can't believe people are going to get distracted by a joke when there is actual harassment and assault going on

How about we take it all seriously? An environment where men think they can joke about rape openly despite the high % of women who have dealt with some form of sexual assault helps create the conditions where the Weinsteins of the world can get away with what they can.

Zen Aku

I mean, he's not as much of a monster as Weinstein, and there are tons of people who do this, why focus on him? What a witch hunt.

Man.

The focus on him is because he was a hypocrite. He condemned Weinstein even though he knew about it for decades and was doing the same thing himself.

Just wait when people figure out Robert Downey Jr. took drugs and was in prison.

Minds gonna be blown.

This is some shitty attempt to downplay what's happening. Most people do know that Downey Jr. has a dark past, so all you're doing is grasping at straws.

Poor choice of words that may bite him in the ass a bit.

https://twitter.com/peeanofreek/status/918331118906236929

Apologies if the link isn’t formatted correctly, I’m on my iPhone at moment.

It's a tasteless joke said to specifically make people laugh at how offensive it is. Its tasteless, offensive, but Momoa isn't assaulting women, so I think people need to chill out lumping him with Harvey Weinstein for gods sake.

Again, dumb joke, bad joke, offensive, but he literally played a barbarian rapist on the show, and he answered yeah it's awesome I play a barbarian rapist. He himself isn't one, and he's not condoning it.

If the guy who played Freddy said, "Best part about being Freddy is I get to kill all those dumb kids!" yeah, dumb, but we know he's not an actual child murderer nor is he advocating for child murder.

It's bad, we can tell him it's bad, it creates a negative atmosphere against women, but let's put it in perspective.

This is some shitty attempt to downplay what's happening.
Im not downplaying anything its just people try to dig up now anything that someone in hollywood ever said and want to make him look bad.

Like seriously the Momoa joke being a thing now is just stupid. Especially if you watch GoT.

The focus on him is because he was a hypocrite. He condemned Weinstein even though he knew about it for decades and was doing the same thing himself.

This is some shitty attempt to downplay what's happening. Most people do know that Downey Jr. has a dark past, so all you're doing is grasping at straws.

I know. My post was sarcasm.

DemWalls

Taking rape unseriously is the problem. What the hell is wrong with you? Yes, it's a joke. No, it's not ok.

I suppose I should have highlighted what I wanted to focus on, that is:
cis men are utter garbage and there's no way around it
men are trash

Together with the one in the message I quoted ("good afternoon to everyone but cis men"), such assertions make me think that this individual's opinion is not worth anyone's time and/or attention.

I thought it was clear I'm not defending Momoa's joke.

You can take something seriously and also make jokes about it. Murder is both a worse offense and taken significantly more seriously by society, but we successfully make jokes about it all the time.

Being a reactionary in the direction of good is still being a reactionary.

Budi

Marvel replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle for War Machine after Iron Man 1

Anything's possible
I wonder what Hollywood producers think is worse, asking for too much money or sexual harassment. But yeah honestly, I don't think they can just ignore it anymore because of what is happening in social media.

Ponn

Banned
Obviously. Internet people whipped up in a frenzy right now. I wouldn't want to be a dude who's said or posted anything about anything right now.

That is not to discount the seriousness of the actual gropers and creepesr.

Not discount them, but preemptively defend the “it’s just a joke bro” culture that has kept and keeps on normalizing this shit. It’s the mentality that keeps people quiet and shows men and young impressionable teens and boys that it’s not really something awful or bad.

Zen Aku

There are comments on that subreddit saying.

"Assault? Really? How is a quick grab amount to assaulting? What he did was dumb but it's not an assault."

And other shit like that. I'm speechless tbh.
sUkf0in.jpg

Celebrity worship and fandom is so dangerous and deeply toxic. People defended strangers they don't even know because they like a character they played. Don't invest so much of your self worth and identity in these people and it will be easy to call them out when it's revealed what predators they are.

It's a tasteless joke said to specifically make people laugh at how offensive it is. Its tasteless, offensive, but Momoa isn't assaulting women, so I think people need to chill out lumping him with Harvey Weinstein for gods sake.

Again, dumb joke, bad joke, offensive, but he literally played a barbarian rapist on the show, and he answered yeah it's awesome I play a barbarian rapist. He himself isn't one, and he's not condoning it.

If the guy who played Freddy said, "Best part about being Freddy is I get to kill all those dumb kids!" yeah, dumb, but we know he's not an actual child murderer nor is he advocating for child murder.

It's bad, we can tell him it's bad, it creates a negative atmosphere against women, but let's put it in perspective.

Sad this needs to be explained

Glass Rebel

It is in perspective.

Weinstein raping people and Affleck assaulting them doesn‘t somehow make Jason‘s comments better. You are acting like there is a witch-hunt going on to get him for comments he made years ago. There isn‘t. People are just expressing how disgusting that joke is because it fucking is.

Ralemont

not me
The fact that he wasn't serious doesn't make it any less harmful.

Uhhh it definitely should because if he was seriously suggesting he enjoyed raping women in his acting then that's totally different than making a tasteless joke about that and it's important to recognize the difference.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lmao No!.

Dude comes across as fake and has been around the block many, many times with women.
I don't know anything about the guy, but "has been around the block many times with women" implies promiscuity, not harassment or assault. There's nothing inherently wrong with promiscuity so...

I don't think Momoa should be lumped in with these other sacks of shit. Maybe its a joke he shouldn't have made but it is a joke. I doubt he thinks rape is ok.

Yeah, whooooole different ballpark here lol

Edit: oh and now going 'around the block'/dating people is morally reprehensible too now. Lol god damn this place gets so stupid when it's on the witch hunt

Lmao No!.

Dude comes across as fake and has been around the block many, many times with women.

Keanu is genuinely the only one.

Oh god forbid a man has had consensual sex with a woman. I guess we'll just take your word for it that he comes off as fake and let's assume he's as bad as Weinstein too.

Give me break up in here...

Fucking yikes at all this coming out. Good though.

Scum.

Nothing "came out". This happened on the air 13 years ago. It's not some behind the scenes thing that nobody knew about.

You can be outraged, but let's not act like this is some new and shocking revelation.

Top Bottom