• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

It looks horrible.
Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. should be colorful and happy.

goofy_zombie.jpg

Come on, wtf ?!

Why not a good old school 2D platformer for PSN/XBLA ?

Ulairi

Banned
ThatGuy said:
Noooooooooooo, why this has to be on Wii, a platform which is damn limited. :/ Welcome Disney game that looks like some mid life cycle PS2 game.

*cartmanlickingtears.jpg*

Deal with it.

Xater

Goldrusher said:
It looks horrible.
Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. should be colorful and happy.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/xblah/other/goofy_zombie.jpg[IMG]

Come on, wtf ?!

Why not a good old school 2D platformer for PSN/XBLA ?[/QUOTE]

We got hundreds of those. Why not try something new and interesting with the property? What's so wrong about that?

AniHawk

ThatGuy said:
Noooooooooooo, why this has to be on Wii, a platform which is damn limited. :/ Welcome Disney game that looks like some mid life cycle PS2 game.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that this doesn't look like crap if it's been in the works for years.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Xater said:
We got hundreds of those. Why not try something new and interesting with the property? What's so wrong about that?
I think it's a joke post.

I think.

HUELEN10

Xater said:
There is nothing wrong with it, people are afraid of change.
r8ifqx.jpg

Different does NOT mean bad!
Pic related and you damn well know it!

deleted

sullytao said:
This is one of those things that looks so awesome that you cant imagine ever getting your hands on because something always goes wrong.

Sadly this.

But if it gets realized like this, I will buy whatever platform it gets released on (already have a Wii and a PS3, so I think I´m on the safe side :D ). It is understandable if they release it on the Wii though, the Jump´n´Run audience is there with Mario and the HD consoles have yet to see an amazing HD platformer.

Danielsan said:
Old Disney films were pretty messed up and dark.
I remember some pretty dark scenes from the Rescuers.

Rescuers was a bright and cheerful musical. Rescuers Down Under was badass and it was indeed quite dark. Sykes has got nothing on McLeach, still my favorite Disney villain next to Ratigan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
icecream said:
I hope it's really not a platformer like that article suggests. Seems a waste for such a potentially beautiful concept.

You have bad taste and you should feel bad.

People complaining about this possibly being on Wii: Your tears are delicious, btw.

ymmv

Banned
gerg said:
Lasseter has been the head of Disney for some time now. One of the best things to happen to the company, afaic.

Lasseter is the chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

BTW I'm sorry to hear this game is for the Wii. I'd prefer to play such an epic game in HD rather than on my Wii.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks amazing. I'd be shocked if Disney puts out something so iconic and twisted looking, too degrading of their clean image.

Goldrusher

AniHawk said:
The guy who approved Fantasia would think this was going too far?
Fantasia never altered the actual Disney characters to this:

goofy_zombie.jpg

Not even Tim Burton went this far when he directed Willy Wonka.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
Looks amazing. I'd be shocked if Disney puts out something so iconic and twisted looking, too degrading of their clean image.
depends on how it is marketed.

we see a video game made by a small dev team (albeit lead by one of the industries best), but if marketed correctly it could be the equivalent of a new Disney blockbuster (like a Pixar film).

I mean, I know nothing about it other than what this thread has shown me, so I could be way off base in both how Disney plan on positioning this and what the game actually is, but I think the potential is there for the public to perceive it as Disney's first "important" video game.

AniHawk

Goldrusher said:
Fantasia never altered the actual Disney characters to this:

goofy_zombie.jpg

Not even Tim Burton went this far when he directed Willy Wonka.

Judging by the state Epcot appears to be in the concept art, I don't think that's actually Goofy, but some sort of animatronic/robot that's fallen apart.

HUELEN10

I get the feeling that some of you are getting this kind of vibe...
waivet.jpg

I don't see how though, not even with this.
goofy_zombie.jpg

I see it as a tribute, not a retooling or rebooting or any of that BS, but that's just me. Besides, I think this is not REALLY "Goofy", I think it is a mere steampunk mecha of him. Would seem to make some sense. I mean, the file is called "Zombie Goofy", but does that look like a Zombie to you? If it is one, then that could also mean that all the characters in the game are mecha. That would be something else!

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
AniHawk said:
Judging by the state Epcot appears to be in the concept art, I don't think that's actually Goofy, but some sort of animatronic/robot that's fallen apart.
It's called "Zombie Goofy."

BTW, I'm going to take the images I posted offline, as I don't want to have to worry about waking up to the overzealous Disney legal department shutting down my Photobucket account.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cuyahoga said:
It's called "Zombie Goofy."
you're familiar with shortcut file names or titles that make an image easy to find when searching for it? =p

the Half Life games' maps are always named after what they vaguely resemble, for instance.

deleted

AniHawk said:
Braid and Mirror's Edge were both released last year. Trine should be out for them sometime this year.

Should have said traditional 3D platformer like Rayman 2, Mario 64 or Banjo. Braid and ME are excellent and interesting takes on the genre but I really miss the N64 days where 3D Jump´n´Runs had lots of adventure elements and a cartoony style.

HUELEN10

cuyahoga said:
IBTW, I'm going to take the images I posted offline, as I don't want to have to worry about waking up to the overzealous Disney legal department shutting down my Photobucket account.
Just saved them all! Gonna tinypic them!

AniHawk

xyla said:
Should have said traditional 3D platformer like Rayman 2, Mario 64 or Banjo. Braid and ME are excellent and interesting takes on the genre but I really miss the N64 days where 3D Jump´n´Runs had lots of adventure elements and a cartoony style.

Banjo's way more of a minigame compilation than straight-up platformer. The other two fit the mold much better. But yeah, there really isn't a great 3D platformer on those systems like there was during the N64 or even PS2 era.

Zeona

Neo Member
these concepts are fantastic. I have no idea what kind of game they are making but with Warren at the helm it should be great. I hope disney doesnt get too protective of their characters/IP down the road.

rexor0717 said:
Eteric Rice said:
Isn't this supposed to be a Wii game?
Damn, oh well.
Danielsan said:
Some posters said it was going to be a Wii game, is this true? It would be a bit of a bummer. I want there to be as few limitations to realise the concept world as possible.
JMC said:
Oh, fuck. Good news for Wii owners if this is true, sure, but I don't think I need to stress just how amazing this game would be on the 360/PC/PS3.
Sinatar said:
Well hopefully there will be a PC version. Don't ignore your roots Warren, I don't want to fucking waggle.
Send in the Clowns said:
It looks like it's on the Wii so the vision may not be as fully realized as these concept pieces but I'm seriously hyped.
ThatGuy said:
Goldrusher said:
Why not a good old school 2D platformer for PSN/XBLA ?
Every. Fucking. Time.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

HUELEN10

That "rod of glee" website said this a few months back...
In backing up its report, the site references an EGM rumor from March that suggests Junction Point's project will allow Disney to go up against "a certain pesky plumber" with "the mouse himself."
So awesome platformer confirmed?

FearX

Neo Member
looks bloody amazing, cant wait to hear more about it, always loved Mr. Spector´s work (deus ex is probably one of the most important releases in this millinium) and already a big disney fan..

in short, i want it now...

JMC

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Every. Fucking. Time.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

What I've said is true, though. The game - assuming the concept art is a great indication of it - would be astounding to see on HD-capable platforms. I certainly don't mean to imply that JPS' creativity is constrained or their artistic vision shortened by having it on the Wii, which seems to be the way you've taken the post.

Korey

Goldrusher said:
Absolutely not.
Walt would not approve this.
I think Disney is trying to reinvent/reinvigorate the "franchise". It's a good way for these old properties to stay relevant. And steampunk is the perfect excuse/avenue to go about doing that...it's not too dark like say a gothic style and it can make for a really interesting world. Disney already allowed their properties to be somewhat twisted in Kingdom Hearts, they're just taking the concept even further.

:lol at the crying about the platform.

"mature + Disney" sounds like a terrible match-up, but I love the art and I trust and respect Spector more than almost anyone in the industry. I'm excited.

Hmm, consider me cautiously optimistic, Deus Ex 2 taught me that Mr. Spector is in no way immune to coming up with stinkers. I just hope that this ends up being fun to play.

By the way, I must say I still prefer a steampunk rendition of Disney characters to what Square did when they paired them up with Final Fantasy characters. Now that is what I call odd.

gerg

JMC said:
What I've said is true, though. The game - assuming the concept art is a great indication of it - would be astounding to see on HD-capable platforms. I certainly don't mean to imply that JPS' creativity is constrained by having it on the Wii, which seems to be the way you've taken the post.

If people were really concerned about how far the game could go graphically, they'd demand it be released for high-end PCs. Of course, this isn't about "fulfilling JPS' vision", but bitter tears about a game they want not being released for a console they own.

HUELEN10 said:
That "rod of glee" website said this a few months back...

So awesome platformer confirmed?

Am I reading too much into that quote when I think it, too, hints at a Wii release? (Not that the game being released on the Wii is a rumour, of course.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gerg said:
If people were really concerned about how far the game could go graphically, they'd demand it be released for high-end PCs. Of course, this isn't about "fulfilling JPS' vision", but bitter tears about a game they want not being released for a console they own.
not necessarily. wanting a game to look as good as possible is not an unreasonable request.

I was a little bit put off when I realised it was a Wii title, but only because I want that amazing art to be realised in as stunning a way as possible, not because I want to validate any console purchase.

gerg

Rez said:
not necessarily. wanting a game to look as good as possible is not an unreasonable request.

I was a little bit put off when I realised it was a Wii title, but only because I want that amazing art to be realised in as stunning a way as possible, not because I want to validate any console purchase.

But if you wanted the game to look as good as possible, surely the only option is to release it with specs so demanding that only the most technologically capable, high-end PCs could play it?

There seems to be this idea among some gamers on the board that HD consoles are at the top of the ladder, when in reality they're a few rungs down.

I'm not trying to specifically target you here, but it seems that the logic behind the "Noooo! Why not HD?!" comments is self-defeating. Furthermore, I'm not saying that people can't be frustrated that a game they want is not being released for a platform of their choice - it's reasonable to be annoyed that you can't have easy access to something you want - but I find that masking this under some sense of wanting to "truly fulfil the potential of the game" is slightly disingenuous.

Tyrant_Onion said:
After seeing all those artworks I thought about Naoto Oshimas Sonic designs wich resembled those old cartoons pretty much.

So I came up with this:

b87r7n.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog's look was based off of Felix the Cat

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AniHawk said:
Banjo's way more of a minigame compilation than straight-up platformer. The other two fit the mold much better. But yeah, there really isn't a great 3D platformer on those systems like there was during the N64 or even PS2 era.
Off topic question, What's the best version of Rayman 2?

I actually really enjoy what they are doing here. Surprised Disney is allowing too. But who knows, looks really creative. I'm definitely interested now to see it in full motion. Seems to have some solid potential.

Also, lets stop the **** platform crying. A game is not on the system you own. Either buy the system and play it or don't :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom