• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

OTheader.jpg

Nexus10-Specs.jpg

Reviews

iPad-3-resolutionary.jpg

Release Date: November 13, 2012

Price - $399 for 16 GB storage, $499 for 32 GB storage

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
X post

Has anyone moved from an iPad to an Android tablet? What are your thoughts? I don't use many apps, mainly web browsing. I'm mostly concerned with the crappy aspect ratio instead of the superior 4:3.

I'm thinking of giving my wife my iPad 3 and grabbing an N10. The iPad 1 I gave her is such a POS. I can't stream any movies bigger than 480P or it stutters to death.

coopolon

X post

Has anyone moved from an iPad to an Android tablet? What are your thoughts? I don't use many apps, mainly web browsing. I'm mostly concerned with the crappy aspect ratio instead of the superior 4:3.

I'm thinking of giving my wife my iPad 3 and grabbing an N10. The iPad 1 I gave her is such a POS. I can't stream any movies bigger than 480P or it stutters to death.

Why is 16:9 inferior?

Jeff-DSA

Some people hate the 16:9 for use in vertical orientation. I like it just fine, but I can understand if people wanted a wider screen for vertical reading/browsing.

For what I do, I prefer having the 16:9 for media though.

10-inch tablets are too big. I'm gonna buy a Nexus 7 instead. Nice resolution, though.

For things like reading comics and magazines, I think the extra real estate is worth it. I'll probably upgrade from my Transformer Pad, though I really prefer the Pad's design.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nexus 7 or Nexus 10? I can't decide. That 2560x1600 resolution is reeling me in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It doesn't feel as good to me. I use my iPad 95% to web browse in landscape. But I may give 16:9 a shot. I haven't used it extensively.

chrislowe

X post

Yeah i have, and i think the 4:3 is crap. 16:9 is the way to go. Dont tell me you use a 4:3 on your desktopcomputer?

Trouble

Banned
Was fence-sitting on this or a Kindle HD 8.9 before it was announced. All around better hardware and no need to wait for a hack to install Cyanogen mean this is a day 1 purchase for me.

That is the resolution of my desktop monitor. :/ Someone needs to make high-res monitors. All advancements seem to be in the filed of small displays.

Salsa

not sure between this and a nexus 7 3G

this would be better to read comics.. but it's so much uglier

kinggroin

Banned
I'm actually curious to know how well it handles gaming that resolution

Edit: thanks for the anandtech benches!

Seems it actually holds its own fairly well considering the resolution. It finds itself between an iPad 3 and 4!

Jeff-DSA

I'm actually curious to know how well it handles gaming that resolution

The odd thing is that real world demos and benchmarks are telling very different stories for the Nexus 10. It's benchmarking well (not stellar), but in practical use everyone saying that it's silky smooth.

I don't game on my tablets hardly ever aside from The Pinball Arcade. If I was more concerned about gaming, I'd be looking harder at the iPad line. Given that I very rarely play anything, I just prefer the Android ecosystem overall.

kinggroin

Banned
The odd thing is that real world demos and benchmarks are telling very different stories for the Nexus 10. It's benchmarking well (not stellar), but in practical use everyone saying that it's silky smooth.

I don't game on my tablets hardly ever aside from The Pinball Arcade. If I was more concerned about gaming, I'd be looking harder at the iPad line. Given that I very rarely play anything, I just prefer the Android ecosystem overall.

Well those benchmarks from anandtech show that its generally superior to the 3rd gen iPad in most 3D tests! That's quite a feat considering a much larger amount of pixels to push.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find 16:9 inferior in landscape mode actually. I have to stretch my hands out just to reach most of the screen, even on the nexus 7.

Totakeke

Phones: You're not going to use this on landscape except watching movies.
7-8" tablets: You probably don't want to use this on landscape most of the time.
10" tablets: Landscape is a choice.

Liberty4all

Banned
That battery life is brutal. My Playbook always feels like its burning through the battery and the nexus 10 looks like its comparable .... That alone nixes it off my buy list

People surf the web in 16:9? And don't have the window snapped to 4:3 in windows? You do realized no website is made for a 16:9 format.

That battery life is brutal. My Playbook always feels like its burning through the battery and the nexus 10 looks like its comparable .... That alone nixes it off my buy list

Which review are you basing that off of? Engadget says 7:26 while looping a video, Anandtech says 8.72h for browsing, and The Verge gives a usage example:

My first experience with the tablet was to spend a day and a half basically doing nothing but work the tablet — downloading 20GB worth of movies and games, installing apps, watching said movies and playing said games. At the end of day two, I thought "oh crap, I bet the battery's about to die!" It was at 48 percent.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That Engadget review is harsh, but I have to say unlike the Nexus 7 where I'd easily recommend it over the other 7"-8" tablets, I don't know if I'd do the same for this over the other 10" tablets on the market. I guess we'll see.

Liberty4all

Banned
Which review are you basing that off of? Engadget says 7:26 while looping a video, Anandtech says 8.72h for browsing, and The Verge gives a usage example:

Basing it off my own observation with my Playbook which runs around 7 hours or so. Assuming both devices (Playbook and nexus 10) have similar battery life it's a no for me. It's the single most annoying thing about the Playbook ... The short battery life. To be fair though I'm basing that on the playbooks crappy standby time .... I keep the thing plugged in permanently except when in use. What's the standby on the nexus 10?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Semi excited by this. Not sure I'm excited about the larger tablet form factor in general, and I think the crazy high resolution while great for browsing/reading will exasterbate the lack of apps designed for the device. The chipset, screen, and OS updates from Google at a $400 price point is really nice though.

My xoom's status as the unofficial android nexus tablet is now over.

Can't wait to upgrade to next years version, because the 10 and 7 are an amazing start.

I wonder if Motorola will finally start making all nexus devices next year.

Toki767

It looks really nice, but I kind of want to hold out for next year to see if they come out with a 1920x1080 Nexus 7. If HTC can do it on a 5" phone surely Google can get ASUS or HTC themselves to do it on a new Nexus 7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It looks really nice, but I kind of want to hold out for next year to see if they come out with a 1920x1080 Nexus 7. If HTC can do it on a 5" phone surely Google can get ASUS or HTC themselves to do it on a new Nexus 7.

Give me this with a newer chipset than the Tegra 3 and I'm in. It's exactly what I'd like.

PS: Did you really need to bump this with a . ? LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom