• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
d1pKX.jpg

Picture of the 3DS XL bundle

From CheapAssGamer

I know for a fact that Target is dropping the 3DS to $129.99 next week, because I've seen the ad, and this guy confirms it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332985

Didn't know it was a MSRP move by Nintendo though, but now it all makes sense.

watershed

Banned
Damn if that's an MSRP price drop that's pretty quick. Nintendo must really be desperate for 3ds sales to pick up outside of Japan. I wonder if it will still be profitable per unit at this new price. Everywhere outside of Japan is no longer handheld friendly territory.

slit

Wow, Ninty putting the final nail the coffin. Actually the final nail was drove in awhile ago for Vita, this is just to boost Nintendo's own sales.

I'm guessing November figures to this point are lower than expected (NPD should be fun). Good move, they needed to get to DSL's price point asap.

Now, about those game prices...

Kunan

Definitely didn't see this coming. Nintendo is being quite aggressive this holiday. Necessary with all the games being delayed to 2013. That Mario Kart bundle is going to sell truckloads.

Damn if that's an MSRP price drop that's pretty quick. Nintendo must really be desperate for 3ds sales to pick up outside of Japan. I wonder if it will still be profitable per unit at this new price. Everywhere outside of Japan is no longer handheld friendly territory.

I guess its still profitable per unit, Nintendo probably included some r&d costs say over the first 20 million units or something that had to be paid off

GeekyDad

/yawn

My launch 3DS is still mostly collecting dust, though my kid's having fun playing the new Kingdom Hearts.

Both devices just seem so outdated to me now, having spent so much time on my iPhone. Not going to debate the minuses of gaming on iOS, but it's just nice to have everything in one device I can easily carry around with me in my front pocket. Plus, it's hard to reconcile $30-40 a pop when I can spend $10 and have 10 games to fool around with. My guess is, folks like me are the reason Nintendo feels the need for another price drop.

watershed

Banned
I hope game prices are next, back to the ds range of $30 standard $35 SE tax. I think though that this price drop, on top of the initial massive price drop shows that the 3ds as a piece of hardware is not well designed to contend with market realities. Too many potential consumers have been lost to smartphones, ipods, tablets, etc. This really makes me curious about how Nintendo will respond with future hardware refreshes or their next gen handheld.

jcm

Wow, that's really aggressive. Nintendo must be really concerned about the market outside of Japan. It's very late in the year to change the MSRP.

Forkball

I got my 3DS last year during Black Friday for $130, can't complain. The system is shaping up quite nicely and the eShop has been a pleasant surprise minus it's cumbersome menu. Bravely Default and Animal Crossing need to come over fast now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this makes the platform Nintendo's first sustained loss leader.

I do feel it's definitely the right move though if they want the thing to get above ho-hum sales in the West. Game pricing should probably be their next major consideration.

100$ cheaper than the Vita. Yeah, I know what parents will buy.

An iPad Mini.

Nintendo were one of the first to recognise the threat, weren't they?

I seem to remember them acknowledging it but then I'm usually drunk.

You're correct, Nintendo mentioned it years ago. Their fans were the ones in denial. People that think this is a plan to kill off the Vita are nutty. This is a reaction to slow the 3DSes own poor sales in the West.

100$ cheaper than the Vita. Yeah, I know what parents will buy.

ipad mini?

I'm actually surprised by this move though and question its necessity. 3DS was profitable at its old price, this is the 2nd major price drop the 3DS has had in the last 14 months. This sends a message saying that maybe next year it'll be $99 and I should wait for that instead. This price drop will not get the 3DS to outsell tablets and smartphones, it'll not get it to reach DS LTD sales, all it will do is make it a much better value proposition compared to vita and possibly kill it.

Nintendo is possibly losing money on each 3DS sold again, so is this worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom