• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

swbf-home-hero.jpeg

Metacritic (XBO): 74
Metacritic (PS4): 77

Gamereactor: 9
Star Wars Battlefront has had a lot going against it, in spite of a successful beta test, but the final product represents both a collection of the best that DICE has to offer, and also a very unique experience when considered within the confines of the shooter market, a genre currently crammed with different variations of the same experience. You won't find any weapon customisation or squad systems or kill streaks here, instead Battlefront offers a unique feeling when you sit in front of the screen, controller in hand. It's the most powerful Star Wars experience since Bioware's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and that's saying something. It takes you away to a galaxy far, far away. What Star Wars Battlefront lacks in content, it offers in immersion; it has that in abundance.

AusGamers: 9
Star Wars Battlefront might not be terribly considerate of solo players and its by-design accessibility might deter DICE’s hardcore Battlefield fans, but there’s no denying the multiplayer is a hell of a lot of fun, and as far as creating the feeling of being part of a Star Wars movie, it doesn’t get any better than this.

God is a Geek: 8.5
At its core, Battlefront is a great shooter. Add in a perfectly crafted Star Wars dressing and an impressive amount of cinematography and you have my favourite multiplayer shooter in years. Accessible, well made and full of really, really cool moments, it’s hard not to love it.

Gametrailers: 8.1

IGN: 8
Star Wars Battlefront captures the essence of Star Wars beautifully, harnessing the most exciting and memorable pieces of the universe for a unique and spectacular combat sandbox. Aside from awkward performances and a poor original score, Battlefront is a master class in aesthetic authenticity. Beyond a few essential modes built for casual competition, however, Battlefront is unfocused, relying on excess game types to compensate for an absent single-player campaign.

Polygon: 8
In a sea of multiplayer-focused shooters, Star Wars Battlefront distinguishes itself as much by what it does as what it doesn't, and that comes at a price. Its old school simplicity doesn't always mesh with its attempts to bring those ideas into 2015, and it lacks some of those back-of-the-box bullet points that most modern AAA shooters wouldn't be caught dead without.

That said: This in a game where you crest a frozen ridge on the surface of Hoth and see a thousand lasers turn the sky into a disco and an AT-AT into scrap metal. If a little of the fat has to be trimmed for more people to have that experience, then blaster holes for bullet points seems like a fair trade.

Metro GameCentral: 8
Battlefront’s more natural use is as a game played between games. An enjoyable diversion for a few hours, either between more complex titles or, for more casual players, until their appetite for video games and/or Star Wars has been sated. There’s nothing wrong with that in our eyes, and we know we’ll be returning to the game again and again over the coming months.

It’s not the ultimate Star Wars game, it doesn’t do anything revolutionary for the online shooter genre, and it’s certainly not very deep or complex. But it is an enormous amount of fun. Which seems perfectly fitting considering the movies it’s based on.

Playstation Lifestyle: 8
So should you drop $60 for the base game? If you ever dreamed of recreating some classic battles or sequences from the Star Wars movies, and are okay with the lack of any sort of campaign, then there is a fair amount of content to keep you occupied. Especially if you are a completionist, expect to sink at least 100 hours to unlock everything in that diorama. You can tell DICE has a bunch of Star Wars fans on staff, and Star Wars Battlefront feels like a loving “welcome back” from a developer who has missed the franchise as much as us gamers have.

Press-Start: 8
Star Wars Battlefront does come out a bit short in certain areas, but that doesn’t take away the fact that the game is basically the perfect example of fan service done right. The game doesn’t feel like a rehash of other games in the genre and excels in providing an authentic and immersive Star Wars experience that’ll certainly appeal to both old and new fans of the universe. Despite currently being a little light on content in relation to its price tag, Star Wars Battlefront is a sign that DICE and EA have the means to do the franchise justice and it certainly is a great sign of things to come.

GamesRadar: 4/5
This philosophy of getting players involved, and making your whole experience as hassle-free as possible, is the beating heart of Star Wars Battlefront. Rarely has any video game pushed pure, uncomplicated joy so forcefully to the fore. Sure, as a shooter, this can be rigidly simple at times, and does occasionally leave me yearning for something a little more complex and involving because I'm that guy who spent the rest of 2015 playing Destiny. As a wonderful recreation of some of my most cherished childhood fantasies (and you will feel the same, such is its universal appeal) Star Wars Battlefront is an absolute triumph.

Game Informer: 7.5
By no means should Battlefront be considered for its single-player or cooperative play. Both avenues are supported with bare-bones survival and battle modes – neither of which comes close to replicating the large-scale conflicts of the multiplayer component and end up having awkward lulls in the action.

DICE succeeded in creating a Star Wars experience I always wanted to be a part of, but it didn’t hold my interest as a gamer long. It’s a game I plan to revisit often, but not for extended periods of time. Forthcoming DLC could certainly change this approach, but for the time being, the thrills out of the box are extremely limited.

Videogamer: 7
Star Wars Battlefront, then, is one of the best experiences of the year, if only for a short while. Completionists may stay with it to unlock figures for the in-game diorama which shows how many challenges you've completed, but others will find their interest has waned long before that. Too limited in its maps and modes to keep people hooked, it will nevertheless provide enough fun to jump onto once in a while, hear that famous score and maybe take down an AT-AT. Those who wanted a Battlefront III, however, will have to wait a little while longer.

Game Revolution: 7
Whether or not Star Wars: Battlefront is worth your dollar may depend on three things: how much you love Star Wars, how much you wanted this to be Battlefield with lasers instead of its own game, and how much you are willing to gamble on EA and DICE supporting it with enough additional DLC content to keep it continuously interesting moving forward. As an audio-visual spectacle it screams Star Wars, but it feels thin presently. Hopefully, with the Battle of Jakku content coming just a few weeks after launch, we’ll see what that support will look like in the near future. Right now, it’s bigger than life, feels good while you're enjoying it, but is somewhat disappointingly hollow.

Gamespot: 7
If nothing else, Star Wars Battlefront is an exercise in pure spectacle, laid out in all of its neon glory. I can't help but smile when the Boba Fett guns down three fighters in a row from his Slave I ship, or a snowspeeder careens past with flames trailing in its wake. The first 10 hours are packed with these moments, and it's worth playing just to watch them unfold.

But Battlefront doesn't go much deeper than its ambitious surface appeal. It front loads its best content, only to fade in quality as the hours roll by. Star Wars Battlefront's skin is beautiful, but its legs are shaking, and threaten to buckle with time.

USGamer: 3.5/5
In some ways, Star Wars: Battlefront is a pleasant surprise. It feels so much more polished than it did at E3, and the effort that DICE has put into the visuals pays off in one of the best-looking games of the year. But every facet of the game is hurt by the lack of variety in the environments, vehicles, weapons, and even enemies. It's a startlingly limited package made more disappointing by the fact that the actual gameplay is really fun. It may reach its potential in a year; but for now, it's one more potentially great game sabotaged by what appears to be a cynical marketing plan.

Digital Trends: 3.5/5
The variety of experiences on offer in Battlefront ultimately saves it, even if it can sometimes feel thin in a lot of respects. If big battles like Supremacy and Walker Assault are turning into a slog, hopping in a ship for some dogfights or dialing down for a smaller and more traditional FPS experience can provide a good change of pace. Though small irritations persist throughout, Battlefront delivers on its core promise of huge, exciting moments, with just the right Star Wars flavor.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/star-wars-battlefront-review/#ixzz3rivSljH4
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Attack of the Fanboy: 3.5/5
Beautiful but lacking, Star Wars: Battlefront will most certainly please Star Wars fans with incredible fan service from DICE. While it stacks up in terms of presentation to other contemporary shooters, Battlefront is an extraordinarily thin offering when it comes to content, making it less enjoyable the more you play it.

Hardcore Gamer: 3/5
Star Wars Battlefront is a solid proof-of-concept that should be fully realized in an inevitable sequel. Like Evolve, Titanfall and The Order: 1886 before it, Battlefront chooses style over substance. It’s absolutely beautiful and captures what it’s like to be in a Star Wars film, but style can only take a game so far. Star Cards and Heroes help make battles interesting, but the combat is too simplified to create long-term engagement. There is fun to be had, especially when the spectacle of Star Wars is in full effect. That spectacle, however, soon wears off and what’s left is a game with too few weapons, maps and heroes. In the end, Star Wars Battlefront is all Binks and no Fett.

Giantbomb: 3/5
It’s hard to not get caught up in the occasional moment in Battlefront if you’re a big Star Wars fan. I loved stalking towards rebels as Darth Vader, force choking them as the Imperial March played. As I played as a Stormtrooper on Tatooine, I stopped for a moment to watch Luke and Vader battle with lightsabers as X-Wings and TIE fighters engaged in a dogfight above them. There’s a whole lot of Star Wars seeping out of every pore of Battlefront, and no amount of forced fan service took away from the fact that some moments in this game reminded me of the many things I love about the film franchise. If the impending release of The Force Awakens has you in the mood for a casual online shooter set in the Star Wars universe, this game can certainly provide that for a dozen or so hours. Battlefront initially checks all of the boxes for being a great Star Wars game, but its limited amount of content and lack of meaningful progression kept me from wanting to return for more than a brief visit.

Destructoid: 6
Star Wars Battlefront feels authentic in many ways, but that authenticity is aggressively pursued at the cost of gameplay, and is often tacked-on. If you're in the mood for a relatively shallow shooter with caveats you likely won't be disappointed, but I wish that DICE had a little more time to polish it and add more substance.

Gadgets 360: 6
Pros:
  • Great visuals
  • Fantastic sound design
  • Epic moments
Cons:

• Weak gunplay
  • Lacks content to justify full price
  • Erratic net code

213372bu

Banned
7/8 so far, looks like that's going to be the norm.

Eh, still might pick it up when it's on sale or comes with all the DLC maps.

hwy_61

Banned
I just watched that Star Wars commercial with the kids flashlight light saber duel.

They are going to sell a fuckload of copies.

Sojgat

Expecting a lot of sevens. Will probably cave and buy this, but I really don't need another MP shooter.

Star Wars...

hwy_61

Banned
I'm guessing 3/5 from giant bomb. Dan expressed on the last UPF that there wasn't enough in the game.

I'm guessing he's reviewing it.

I just watched that Star Wars commercial with the kids flashlight light saber duel.

They are going to sell a fuckload of copies.

I wonder how much Fallout 4 affects the sales. To me it seems there are lots of potential buyers that are balls deep with it and might not have time for BF.

_woLf

I wonder if it's possible for this game to under-perform in terms of sales.

I'm super curious what EA is expecting it to sell in order for it to be considered a success.

Yoday

I expect the reviews to be all over the place
Yep, the game will hold little value for someone who isn't a SW fan. This game is built for the fans, and it isn't going to be the kind of MP game that you stay dedicated to. It is perfect for those that like playing MP occasionally though.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm honestly surprised about all the negativity about the "simplicity". I guess growing up on Quake 2 and stuff give me different expectations in what needs to be in a shooter? To me people should be bitching about no server browsers, shitty lobby systems, lack of ping display etc. That's by far my biggest complaint.

Sounds like you really need to pick up the Season Pass to give this game any longevity.

Or, you know, just buy the expansions as they come out depending if they are any good or not.

I'm predicting 76 meta. I think there will be a few really low scores and very little 9s or 10s.

Tubie

I'm guessing 70-75 meta.

Main complain we'll see is lack of content, but an otherwise great experience for the content it does have.

DOWN

Banned
I wonder how much Fallout 4 affects the sales. To me it seems there are lots of potential buyers that are balls deep with it and might not have time for BF.
They are almost world's apart. An M rated hardcore janky quest RPG (that I love) and a T accessible arcade multiplayer only Star Wars shooter are hardly stealing too much of each other's audiences.

Pastry

Banned
I wonder if it's possible for this game to under-perform in terms of sales.

I'm super curious what EA is expecting it to sell in order for it to be considered a success.

People bought Hardline.

Like, a record amount of people bought Hardline. If people bought that this is going to do gangbusters.

eFKac

Not expecting a very high meta.

Enjoyed my time with the beta, but it's troubling for me that the reviews mention lack of content as an issue, I was afraid of that. May get it sometime next year for cheaper.

They are almost world's apart. An M rated hardcore janky quest RPG (that I love) and a T accessible arcade multiplayer only Star Wars shooter are hardly stealing too much of each other's audiences.

Thing is both are so big releases when it comes to sales there has to be some conflict. I think especially on PC Fallout will suck some of the attention away.

Haines

Banned
I don't normally go by reviews but this game is tough to put a finger on. I played some beta and it was really cool but I just dunno. It def lacked some kind of thing that really tied it all together

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally I've been expecting high 70s to low 80s.

I could see it coming in a bit lower though without being shocked.

I dunno i thought it had a lot of content but maybe it's just because i don't have that much time to game.
That's pretty much where I stand honestly. Played the beta thought it was really fun. Something to just pick up and play and not get too frustrated because everyone unlocked everything and found every little hiding place on a map(f off black ops 3)

I play games about 8 hours a week. Hearthstone is about 4 of that. Hoping this can be another 2. It helps that I'll be able to play in front of my family.

Fallout 4 if it's anything like 3 would take me a year to complete and wear out its welcome long before that. This will be much more value for my money.

LewieP

Polygon usually updates their reviews if neccessary right?

Yes they routinely publish positive reviews, wait until many people have bought the game based on their positive review, then update their review to discuss problems with the game that should have been covered in the initial review.

Kyoufu

People bought Hardline.

Like, a record amount of people bought Hardline. If people bought that this is going to do gangbusters.

What record are we talking about here? I was under the impression that Hardline didn't sell all that well.

Top Bottom