• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do things on Xbox One take long to load?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was watching GB's livestream of the Xbox one yesterday and it seemed like for the most part, load times were really long.

It took a really long time to boot, and a bunch of games had load times that rivaled Crash Bandicoot the Wrath of Cortex for the PS2.

Is it because of the low RPM HDD? Since it's not user replaceable, is this something that people are just going to be stuck with for the lifetime of their XBO assuming dev's don't find a way to load in more quickly?

I'm just curious if anyone knows the cause because it seems to be a general issue with the system.

dzelly

I dont know, but they do. I try extra hard to not die in Dead Rising 3 so I don't have to wait a minute plus to get back into the game. It's crazy.

clav

Slow HD.

Game data management. I wonder if they are images or single files.

I think there are like 5 partitions going on in that hard drive setup with data transfers in between for loading and caching.

eshwaaz

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 both have surprisingly long load times. I really hope things improve in future titles.

clav

from me saying "Xbox On" it goes from off to home screen in like 10 secs..
thats pretty cool

I'm just guessing here.

Maybe the solid state memory stores the main OS (8 GB MMC NAND), much like the 360 did with 16 MB.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
from me saying "Xbox On" it goes from off to home screen in like 10 secs..
thats pretty cool
What does that have to do with loading games?
yeah I guess I can see this with Ryse but the smaller games like Crimson Dragon/KI load pretty fast but it can always be improved.
Gerstmann said KI load times were very bad. The Polygon stream had crimson dragon and it was loading pretty slow too.

SeanNaess

Neo Member
Still early days yet. I'm sure things will be optimized over time, it's obvious they wanted to get the OS out the door pretty quick. Hopefully they don't take too long to update it!

Tablo

:/ Dat 5400rpm spindle drive. Wish they could've included a hybrid 7200rpm drive by default, probably not for noise reasons though, which is a damn shame.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
From a programmer perspective, it depends on the structure of the game. If the first level requires a large chunk of the code library and it needed to be install, then it will take a long time to load

I assume this play while install is a last minute addon after sony announced the instant play feature so many games that is already in development is not optimized for it

Sad to hear. The 360 trained me to turn the system on or select an app and go do other things while it loads. I was hoping thngs woupd be better with the XB1 because the PS4 is no joke when it comes to speed. Switching between apps/games is instant, boot up is quick and it just blows my mind every time I do it.

Jeramii

Banned
What is horrible is if you quit to the menu (yes, the menu) in Dead Rising, you still have to wait a solid minute.

I hope so. Launch and near-launch 360 games were pretty bad too. Burnout Revenge in particular was painful.

I don't think so, some of the apps have the same damn problem. Hard to say if it's due to server overload from all the new players, or if it's an actual issue. Upload studio was sporadic for me all day yesterday, sometimes it opens in 15 seconds and sometimes it's 2 minutes.

Alchemy

It takes a while to fill 5GB of RAM, and I'm guessing that despite mandatory installs, the Xbone doesn't do the same thing that the PS4 does to speed up load times and read from both the disc and HDD at the same time.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Long installs, big patches and long load times. GG MS.

Ryse really surprised me. Player I watched died inside a house (small area) and just reloading the checkpoint took about 30-60 seconds. Loading savefiles in CryEngine games on PC is almost instant if the level is already loaded, so I'm not sure what is going on with Ryse considering the PC like architecture of the bone.

Cels

I dont know, but they do. I try extra hard to not die in Dead Rising 3 so I don't have to wait a minute plus to get back into the game. It's crazy.

wait a second. if you die in DR3 the game takes over one minute to load before you get to play again?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It doesn't make sense. From watching the various streams, it seems PS4 is much faster both for installing games from disc and general loading times.

Yet both have a similar amount of memory and similar HDDs

pixlexic

Banned
wait a second. if you die in DR3 the game takes over one minute to load before you get to play again?

This actually can easily be proven or not by someone recording it in a video.

I don't have time right to do it myself though.

Ryuuga

Banned
This actually can easily be proven or not by someone recording it in a video.

I don't have time right to do it myself though.

I was trying to find some Let's Play videos where we might see some checkpoint restarts, but haven't been able to find anything. If anyone had the ability to record restarts in DR3 that'd be useful. The only thing I remember is the long load checkpoint restarts during the Polygon livestream, but that was during a psycho fight, I assume it'd be the same for the game otherwise.

pixlexic

Banned
I was trying to find some Let's Play videos where we might see some checkpoint restarts, but haven't been able to find anything. If anyone had the ability to record restarts in DR3 that'd be useful. The only thing I remember is the long load checkpoint restarts during the Polygon livestream, but that was during a psycho fight, I assume it'd be the same for the game otherwise.

I would say the initial load for both is long.. but I haven't seen any long load times while in game. But I am not sure I have ever died in either game lol.

Top Bottom