• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout fansite threatened with lawsuit by Bethesda for sending out free posters

geebee

Banned
Well then, looks like Bethesda found a way to increase the hatred NMA holds for them.
First thing that came to my mind as well. Not saying that the hatred or what Bethesda is doing is right or wrong.. but it definitely isn't going to sway the site's opinion of Bethesda into a favorable one...

I dunno how I feel about this one. It's not like he was selling the posters, but at the same time I can see how Bethesda needed to protect their copyright as this person was offering a service to create real world goods based on their IP.

Emitan

I dunno how I feel about this one. It's not like he was selling the posters, but at the same time I can see how Bethesda needed to protect their copyright as this person was offering a service to create real world goods based on their IP.

As the guy says, they have every right (and are legally obligated) to protect their IP, but firing from the hip like this is a terrible thing. Just shoot the guy a freaking email.

As the guy says, they have every right (and are legally obligated) to protect their IP, but firing from the hip like this is a terrible thing. Just shoot the guy a freaking email.

I don't know. He says he would have loved an email/letter with some swag in it. I think that sends the wrong message, and would reward the people infringing on Bethesda's IP rights. A c&d letter is fairly standard practice for all companies dealing with these matters.

I don't know. He says he would have loved an email/letter with some swag in it. I think that sends the wrong message, and would reward the people infringing on Bethesda's IP rights. A c&d letter is fairly standard practice for all companies dealing with these matters.

The problem is he wasn't infringing on anything or turning a profit from Bethesda's IP. He had a fan site where you could freely download Fallout fan art that could be printed. How the fuck is that copyright infringement?

there really isn't the need a need to protect the copyright this harshly. Just because they can doesn't mean they need to. Plenty of other companies look the other way or even embrace fan art.

And their holds on their IP is not lost...

Fan:

tumblr_m1nynn55OM1qd65am.gif

Bethesda:

bezarker_is_the_boss.gif

Sounds more like it's Bethesdas legal team being too over zealous about their IP. Seems that the legal team at Bethesda sends out C/Ds at the drop of a hat.

I think the legal firm scouts the internet so they can rack up some billable hours.

That what this is and nothing more. I doubt Bethesda even knew this was going on or if they knew about the posters they may have even liked the idea. Lawyers is what Lawyers does.

I don't see why people think this is so terrible. The guy was copying Bethesda's posters and making extremely high resolution versions of them available for download designed to be taken to a printer. So he wasn't charging for it, that's no defense. Let's say Bethesda in a few months was planning on selling their posters - nobody would buy them because the posters had already been ripped of by this fansite.

And I'm not sure I'd call it a Fallout Fansite, the site's only purpose was to distribute copies of Bethesda's posters. It had no blogs or forums or articles or anything else.

I don't see why people think this is so terrible. The guy was copying Bethesda's posters and making extremely high resolution versions of them available for download designed to be taken to a printer. So he wasn't charging for it, that's no defense. Let's say Bethesda in a few months was planning on selling their posters - nobody would buy them because the posters had already been ripped of by this fansite.

I'm less sympathetic to the a Devil's Advocate position following Bethesda's recent abhorent shenanigans.

It seems somewhat unjust that Bethesda can sue a fansite and that's okay, while the company deserves itself to be sued into total Oblivion (ho ho) for conning millions out of unsuspecting PS3 owners. It probably colours my view a bit, that.

Wildesy

"Some people doesn’t have the intellectual capacity"

Is that a subtle joke or...? Either way it made me laugh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-Releasing a completely broken game on PS3
-Cancellation of Prey 2
-Suing Notch/Mojang and Scrolls and getting his IP.
-Attacking a fan site of one of their IP.

Zenimax really should try harder if they want to be as evil as EA and Activision.

Emitan

-Releasing a completely broken game on PS3
-Cancellation of Prey 2
-Suing Notch/Mojang and Scrolls and getting his IP.
-Attacking a fan site of one of their IP.

Zenimax really should try harder if they want to be as evil as EA and Activision.

They're not letting Obsidian touch the series again, most likely. That's the most evil thing EVER

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
why?because it was better than anything they could ever come up with themselves?

No, it was because Obsidian exposed how shitty the engine is and how it's a well known issue Bethesda know about before releasing the -now previously broken- PS3 version of Skyrim, also they said Bethesda didn't give them bonus for New Vegas because of Metacritic score ( most of hired developer get extra money from publishers when the game hit a certain number is sales yet Bethesda uses Metacritic score instead of sales for that).

Oh nooooo!!! You mean to tell me Bethesda won't be able to charge 20 bucks for a piece of paper!! How will they feed their families? God, i hate corporate apologists. The fact of the matter is, almost no one knew about this site to begin with, selling posters wouldn't be affected by this tiny ass website that no one visits save for the hardest of core fans that know about every single site to do with fallout. blah!

Top Bottom