• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari 7800 1986-1990 Game and System Sales Figures Found

And they're higher than most people guessed. (Oh, these are all US-only figures, not international. Important to note.)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144552&st=0&p=1756601&#entry1756601

3.7 million systems sold from 1986-1990, huh? More than I would have guessed, for sure, and other people too, if that thread is accurate. If true, that's pretty interesting... I wonder if that was higher than the US Sega Master System number. Wouldn't surprise me if it was, though given how hard it is to find accurate Sega sales numbers (SMS, Genesis, whatever, there are no real good accurate numbers, just guesses pretty much), I'm not sure if we have any idea... it'd be nice, so we could know exactly how well they both did here... or exactly how far each was behind the NES, really. :)

Anyway though, this is very interesting information, for sure. Go to the link, there are game sales totals through 1990 and everything... cool stuff.

I don't know where the guy got those files from so hopefully it's okay to post this, but if not I'll remove the link. Anyway, the guy promises 2600 data tomorrow...

At Digitpress some game sales totals have been compiled here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132000

(Note that these are not complete lifetime sales numbers, either for games or systems; after 1990 the system surely faded, as that was the last year with any new first-party releases in the US (though Atari published one 7800 games Europe exclusive in 1991, there were none in the US), and then the system was discontinued on Jan. 1 1992 on the same day as the 2600 and XE, but more copies surely did sell than the numbers here, particular of later games like 1990's Ninja Golf, which has a very small sales number sold in that list, but probably sold at least slightly better than that.)

I definitely see more 7800s at thrift stores and flea markets around here (edit: more than SMS). Well, I used to, back when I was a hardcore thrifter.

It's ridiculous they gave it the 2600 soundchip and no upgrade. It was a huge downgrade from 5200 sound, even. A couple of games even included a POKEY chip (soundchip from Atari 400/800/XL/5200) in the cartridge.

camineet

Banned
Atari 7800 was the first videogame system I owned, bought in early 1988 for my birthday.

I'm responsible for adding to the sales, one copy of the following 7800 games:

*Asteroids
*Choplifter
*Xevious
*Julius Erving vs. Larry Bird
*Galaga
*Karateka

Emotions

-Henry's House
-Decathlon
- Moon Patrol

Were great games and lot of games i forgot their names just remember them by images.

Atari 2600 got me into gaming. I had one of those keyboards that connect to it, man I loved typing on that thing, even more than the games (all two of them, bug hunt and some flight game). I was only 4 at the time, than I was blessed with a NES.

I started gaming on a 2600, but it wasn't until the 7800 that I truly started enjoying gaming. Double Dragon (arcade version) sealed the deal for me. Good times.

D.Lo

Wow, that's quite a lot, they were an actual player with those figures. They simply didn't have the games to compete though, arcade style stuff was dying in favor of platformers by the late 80s, thanks to Mario.

They advertised the 7800 a lot here in Australia, definitely as much as the Master System and NES. I think the Atari was initially winning, then the Master System started winning, and finally the NES won in the end (possibly because the Master System was cut off at the knees by the Mega Drive). But we were obviously a very diferrent market.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of those sold for much below full price.

I remember buying one brand new for a tenner I got for Christmas.

AniHawk

7800 was the first system I owned. Got it from my uncle back in 1989, along with 26 games (most of them were 2600 games). So I grew up on Adventure, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, and such and such. I still have them all, too. My dad and I played Tennis, Boxing, and Baseball all the time. Sometimes we'd alternate on Pac-Man to beat each other's high score. I remember picking up a replacement joystick at Fedco being the first time I saw the Nomad and Virtual Boy.

PC Gaijin

Lion Heart said:
Atari 2600 got me into gaming. I had one of those keyboards that connect to it, man I loved typing on that thing, even more than the games (all two of them, bug hunt and some flight game). I was only 4 at the time, than I was blessed with a NES.

You're talking about the XEGS if you were playing Bug Hunt and Flight Simulator on a keyboard.

Epcott

I too contributed to 7800 sales. However, once I realized Choplifter only had ONE level, as opposed to the numerous levels in the Master System version, I realized I made a grave error in which console to get that generation. :lol

D.Lo said:
Wow, that's quite a lot, they were an actual player with those figures. They simply didn't have the games to compete though, arcade style stuff was dying in favor of platformers by the late 80s, thanks to Mario.

They advertised the 7800 a lot here in Australia, definitely as much as the Master System and NES. I think the Atari was initially winning, then the Master System started winning, and finally the NES won in the end (possibly because the Master System was cut off at the knees by the Mega Drive). But we were obviously a very diferrent market.

Yeah, it is a lot... I'd always thought that they were probably in third in the US, but maybe not... though as I said, we'd need those I-don't-know-if-they-exist by-region SMS numbers to be sure.

But given the late start, tiny budgets, smaller games, and somewhat weaker hardware (particularly the horrible audio in games without onboard sound chips...), it is somewhat impressive that they managed to sell that many.

Given how successful the SMS was in Europe though, I'd still guess that worldwide the 7800 was in third. But in the US?

PC Gaijin said:
You're talking about the XEGS if you were playing Bug Hunt and Flight Simulator on a keyboard.

Ah the XEGS, a console so obscure that even some major gaming sites (like GameFAQs) don't have it in their database... did that thing sell at all?

I mean, these 7800 sales were pretty surprisingly high, considering, but that one... somehow I doubt it did anywhere near as well. :)

Epcott said:
I too contributed to 7800 sales. However, once I realized Choplifter only had ONE level, as opposed to the numerous levels in the Master System version, I realized I made a grave error in which console to get that generation.

Hey, the original version of Choplifter (on Apple II) had only one level and no score or anything beyond just getting the guys, and yet it was a big hit... that version's just more true to the original than Sega's was. :)

... Yeah, I know Sega's arcade and SMS versions are better. But still, that is true -- the 7800 version is pretty much just like the original version, while Sega expanded on the concept.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I definitely see more 7800s at thrift stores and flea markets around here (edit: more than SMS). Well, I used to, back when I was a hardcore thrifter.

Really? That's not true here, at least. I've been looking for four or five years or so around here, and have seen almost nothing 7800 related -- one game, once, and one controller, and that's it. WIth the SMS though, I've seen one system and a batch of several dozen games at one store, some of which are still there (mostly with boxes, though they include duplicates of a bunch of common titles), and 2-4 games at a couple of other places. So not much... but far more than I've seen of the 7800. But of course, across an entire country, what you see in any one place is definitely not representative of the whole...

Of course neither one can exactly compare to the stacks of NES games you see everywhere, but you'd expect that. :)

oBa

I only took a quick glance, but the problem with this report is it only appears to be "sell to" and not "sell through". Honestly I would really like to know how many of these actually were purchased by customers, vs just rotting on the shelves.

Kuramu

Wow, I was not alone after all. Not many worthwhile games, but it played 2600 games too, which surely helped.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
oBa said:
I only took a quick glance, but the problem with this report is it only appears to be "sell to" and not "sell through". Honestly I would really like to know how many of these actually were purchased by customers, vs just rotting on the shelves.

gkryhewy

I remember that pre-NES (for us), our family got a 7800 with a few games from Toys R Us... they were liquidating the hell out of it.

dacuk

Thanks for the info.
I would like to see a "list-wars" on 7800 and XEGS games (the most advanced, the better rated, etc.) given the fact these console was never sold in my country

soldat7

camineet said:
Atari 7800 was the first videogame system I owned, bought in early 1988 for my birthday.

I'm responsible for adding to the sales, one copy of the following 7800 games:

*Asteroids
*Choplifter
*Xevious
*Julius Erving vs. Larry Bird
*Galaga
*Karateka

Did we live in the same house or something? I also had several 2600 games (River Raid ftw) and Food Fight.

shagg_187 said:
Should've been ALOT more. Blame the fake version of Atari,

It should have come out in 84 or whatever.

It was dead in the water by the time it came to market.

I remember when it was new. The 7800 had no appeal. It was a joke compared to the NES. About the only thing going for it was a lower price.

PC Gaijin said:

I didnt play the games with the keyboard, I had a joystick/pad thing with the one button on it and a light gun for bug hunt. The keyboard was just for typing and I assume there was a printer jack somewhere on the back of the system.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
daCuk said:
Thanks for the info.
I would like to see a "list-wars" on 7800 and XEGS games (the most advanced, the better rated, etc.) given the fact these console was never sold in my country
The XEGS was just a repackaged Atari 8-bit computer. This means that it had far better games than the 7800. Granted, you needed a disk drive to get most of them, but Atari did rerelease a pile of 3rd party titles on cartridge for the XEGS.

Lion Heart said:
I didnt play the games with the keyboard, I had a joystick/pad thing with the one button on it and a light gun for bug hunt. The keyboard was just for typing and I assume there was a printer jack somewhere on the back of the system.
SIO port on the pack of the system, used for interfacing to a variety of Atari-specific peripherals (disk drives, modems, printers, RS232 interfaces, etc..)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One system I know barely anything about, and hardly remember anything on the shelves (aside from maybe 12 games at TRU)... didn't know one person who owned this, as compared to a few SMS owners and obviously lots of NES people.

What are some of the standout titles on the system?

Man, my very first system. Parents thought I was nuts when I chose it over the white hot NES (especially since I was in Washington State, where Nintendo was the new hometown hero). But it had Xevious while the NES didn't! At the time at least. I eventually got a NES... not for Super Mario but Gradius!

But yeah, still an awesome machine, mostly due to it's backwards compatibility. But 7800 games just felt nice, though it's somewhat tricky to explain.

stuminus3

My mind is blown. I thought the 7800 was a myth. To this day, I've never seen one, even though I'd still see the 2800 pop up all the time when I hung out at some high school friends in the early - mid 1990s... o_O

EDIT: my bad, I'm thinking of the 5200. Still pretty impressed though.

PC Gaijin

djtiesto said:
One system I know barely anything about, and hardly remember anything on the shelves (aside from maybe 12 games at TRU)... didn't know one person who owned this, as compared to a few SMS owners and obviously lots of NES people.

What are some of the standout titles on the system?

Food Fight - the best home port of this arcade game (XEGS version is rather lame).

Robotron 2084 - very good port, really shows of the 7800's sprite handling capabilities

Ikari Warriors, Commando - more good ports, it's a pity the 7800 wasn't more successful and didn't receive more attention from Atari (game selection, cart sizes). These games show that the 7800 could pull off decent ports of arcade games up to the mid-80s or so.

Ms. Pac-Man - great port, wouldn't expect any less considering GCC did the original Ms. Pac-Man and created the 7800 hardware.

There's some other good arcade ports (Xevious, Xenophobe, Joust, Centipede), but the 7800 really doesn't have much going for it software-wise.

Ranger X

My father was pissed at that time. He bought that (had a 2600 already) when I wanted a NES...

I only had a NES later in 1987 right after SMB3 came out. I had the SMB3 pack actually.

Dunno which Atari I had, but I got one after I had a NES and SNES, man did I love that machine. Probably one of the earlier Ataris since it only had a joystick and one button. Don't remember many games, except a gum disease fighting game where you're a toothpaste, anyone know what game it was?

PC Gaijin

BishopLamont said:
Dunno which Atari I had, but I got one after I had a NES and SNES, man did I love that machine. Probably one of the earlier Ataris since it only had a joystick and one button. Don't remember many games, except a gum disease fighting game where you're a toothpaste, anyone know what game it was?

Probably Plaque Attack from good ol' Activision. :D

s_PlaqueAttack_3.png

PC Gaijin said:
Probably Plaque Attack from good ol' Activision.]
Haha yep that's it, I remember those burgers/hotdogs. I think I also had balloon fight on it? Did that game start on the Atari? Also which Atari did I have, based on the information that I've given?

vermadas

My parents bought one of these for me after starting out with a 2600. I have no idea why I wanted it over a NES. I don't remember any games I had for it besides Xevious. My neighbors got NESs and I remember being quite jealous. I don't think I got my own NES until Christmas of '89.

PC Gaijin

BishopLamont said:
Haha yep that's it, I remember those burgers/hotdogs. I think I also had balloon fight on it? Did that game start on the Atari? Also which Atari did I have, based on the information that I've given?

It sounds like you had a 2600. The standard 7800 joystick was the ProLine, which had two buttons, one on each side of the base. The "standard" single-button Atari joysticks worked fine on the 7800 since it was backwards compatible and used the standard Atari joystick port, but the 7800 came with ProLines (except for Euro and really late 7800s, which came with a joypad, still with 2 buttons).

If you're talking about the Nintendo game Balloon Fight (the one similar to Joust), that was never ported to an Atari system. The only 2600 games I can think of with balloons are Circus Atari and Sky Patrol, and neither of those are anything like Balloon Fight.

dave_d

DavidDayton said:
The XEGS was just a repackaged Atari 8-bit computer. This means that it had far better games than the 7800. Granted, you needed a disk drive to get most of them, but Atari did rerelease a pile of 3rd party titles on cartridge for the XEGS.

SIO port on the pack of the system, used for interfacing to a variety of Atari-specific peripherals (disk drives, modems, printers, RS232 interfaces, etc..)

The weirder part is that the 5200 was apparently also a repackaged Atari 8-bit. (Not as much ram as the XEGS and you couldn't expand the thing.) Of course I'm a big fan of Alternate Reality the Dungeon :D

BishopLamont said:

2600 or 7800, because that's a 2600 game. The 7800 supports all 2600 games and controllers, so it could have been either... some kind of 2600 (one of the 2600 Jr.s?) does sound more likely though, if you don't remember any 7800 controllers or accessories (7800 controllers have two buttons).

As for Balloon Fight... um, could you be thinking of Joust? Because yeah, Balloon Fight itself was a Nintendo game and wasn't on any Atari systems. But the concept is a clone of Joust, except with different graphics and the added 1-player scrolling mode, instead of just the static-screen arenas.

oBa said:

That's probably a good point, but a lot of those probably did eventually sell, on sale at least... though there is the question, like with the Atari Jaguar where Atari said they made 250,000 systems, but hadn't sold like 100,000 of those or more by early 1996. So do you assume that they mostly all eventually sold, on clearance and such (the system price eventually dropped to like $50 with several games packed in), or that a lot didn't and the actual sales total was even lower than 250,000? It's hard to say

Of course, all console manufacturers generally only talk about the amount produced or sold to the stores, not the actual number sold to customers, so it doesn't matter that much for comparisons to the other companies. It's not like Nintendo's numbers are any different in which ones they report, I think...

PC Gaijin

dave_d said:
The weirder part is that the 5200 was apparently also a repackaged Atari 8-bit. (Not as much ram as the XEGS and you couldn't expand the thing.) Of course I'm a big fan of Alternate Reality the Dungeon :D

The Atari 8-bit was originally supposed to be the console follow-on to the VCS/2600 anyway. Atari repurposed the chipset as a home computer when they wanted to get into the computer market and compete with Apple. I've posted on this forum before "what might have been" if Atari had released the 8-bit chipset as a console around 79-80 instead of later in 82 as the 5200. Might have changed everything, at the very least we would have gotten much better arcade ports than the 2600 was capable of.

Believe it or not, the 7800 was supposed to have a keyboard peripheral with an SIO port that turned it into a full blown computer. Of course that all went up in smoke when the Tramiels took over.

The XEGS was a weird beast. Atari basically had a lot of 8-bit hardware and software with no way to push it through retail. Retailers didn't want a home computer anymore, so Atari repackaged the 65XE as a game console. Not a smashing success, but I guess Atari was able to move some of their old stock. I remember reading in the Atari magazines at the time that they sold around 100k that first Christmas season in 1987. Awful in comparison to other consoles, but probably great compared to what the 65XE home computer was selling. The Atari 8-bit computer was actually a fantastic game machine; I have many fond memories of the Alternate Reality series, which is is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

PC Gaijin said:
It sounds like you had a 2600. The standard 7800 joystick was the ProLine, which had two buttons, one on each side of the base. The "standard" single-button Atari joysticks worked fine on the 7800 since it was backwards compatible and used the standard Atari joystick port, but the 7800 came with ProLines (except for Euro and really late 7800s, which came with a joypad, still with 2 buttons).

If you're talking about the Nintendo game Balloon Fight (the one similar to Joust), that was never ported to an Atari system. The only 2600 games I can think of with balloons are Circus Atari and Sky Patrol, and neither of those are anything like Balloon Fight.
Just had a look at all the Atari models and 2600 is indeed the console I had, oh man I really regret giving it away. Oh well hopefully it was enjoyed and not locked up in a closet somewhere.

Yeah Sky Patrol seems to be a prototype, so no chance I would have played it and Circus Atari looks nothing like balloon fight, damn my rusty memory probably just played it on the NES. Oh yeah it's not Joust either.

Interestingly I also had some kind of chinese console, where cartridges were used except there was a lot of games on it, and it wasn't one of them 999 games where they were all the same game, it was actually different games. I vaguely remember battletoads and double dragon on it I think, is my memory playing tricks on me and I'm just thinking of the SNES? I know for a fact that I had some sort of pirated console, but I'm not sure about the exact games itself, but I do remember swapping cartridges with my friend. Oh well I don't think anyone knows what I'm talking about. Haha.

Ranger X

PC Gaijin said:
The Atari 8-bit was originally supposed to be the console follow-on to the VCS/2600 anyway. Atari repurposed the chipset as a home computer when they wanted to get into the computer market and compete with Apple. I've posted on this forum before "what might have been" if Atari had released the 8-bit chipset as a console around 79-80 instead of later in 82 as the 5200. Might have changed everything, at the very least we would have gotten much better arcade ports than the 2600 was capable of.

Believe it or not, the 7800 was supposed to have a keyboard peripheral with an SIO port that turned it into a full blown computer. Of course that all went up in smoke when the Tramiels took over.

The XEGS was a weird beast. Atari basically had a lot of 8-bit hardware and software with no way to push it through retail. Retailers didn't want a home computer anymore, so Atari repackaged the 65XE as a game console. Not a smashing success, but I guess Atari was able to move some of their old stock. I remember reading in the Atari magazines at the time that they sold around 100k that first Christmas season in 1987. Awful in comparison to other consoles, but probably great compared to what the 65XE home computer was selling. The Atari 8-bit computer was actually a fantastic game machine; I have many fond memories of the Alternate Reality series, which is is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Basically it seems Atari was a clusterfuck knocking at every door and trying to attack anywhere makes sense or not and without good preparation or not. Boy does this sound the SEGA or the 90s ...

My parents got one of these for me back in 1986 (mostly because we had a 2600 I think). Pole Position II and Food Fight were pretty hot. Still have the system and the original box (although the box is in pretty rough shape). The controllers were pretty uncomfortable.

As a kid I asked for and received a 7800 instead of an NES, which was a really bad mistake. But years later, what seemed like the whole U.S. stock of games was dumped into Big Lots at $1 a pop. For that reason, I have about 35 games (~50% of all releases) at a very low total investment.

Almost all the games worth playing on the system are arcade ports, none of which are as good as their originals. But these are decent fun:

Centipede
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong Jr.
Food Fight
Galaga
Joust
Ms. Pac-Man
Rampage
Robotron: 2084
Xevious

As for exclusives, well...the Asteroids version is not an arcade port, and is pretty good. Desert Falcon is a decent ripoff/improvement on Zaxxon, Planet Smashers is an okay vertical shooter, Dark Chambers is a poor man's Gauntlet, and Basketbrawl is a pretty fun little game. The Lucasarts titles Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus are enjoyable too; they and Tower Toppler had very good graphics for the time.

I don't know if any of these were true exclusives, though. At least some were also available for home computers of various flavors. The lack of exclusive killer apps and the NES juggernaut meant certain death for the 7800, no matter how many consoles they unloaded.

PC Gaijin

Only Planet Smashers was an exclusive. Desert Falcon and Dark Chambers were released on the XEGS; Basketbrawl on the Lynx; Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer on the 5200/8-bit/XEGS; and Tower Toppler on a bunch of home computers (even got an NES port as Castellian).

Interestingly, Dark Chambers is not exactly a clone of Gauntlet, it's more the other way around. Gauntlet was probably based on Dandy, a dungeon crawling game released for the 8-bit through the Atari Program Exchange (think of APX as like a prehistoric version of Community Games on Xbox Live). The guy who wrote Dandy eventually redid the game as Dark Chambers on the 8-bit/7800. So it's more like Dark Chambers and Gauntlet are cousins.

yamaneko

Demon's Attack is the best ATARI game EVER!!!

fuashhhhhhhhhhhh

fuashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tro tro tro otr

fuashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
PC Gaijin said:
Interestingly, Dark Chambers is not exactly a clone of Gauntlet, it's more the other way around. Gauntlet was probably based on Dandy, a dungeon crawling game released for the 8-bit through the Atari Program Exchange (think of APX as like a prehistoric version of Community Games on Xbox Live). The guy who wrote Dandy eventually redid the game as Dark Chambers on the 8-bit/7800. So it's more like Dark Chambers and Gauntlet are cousins.

The Dandy/Gauntlet thing is one of the more interesting tidbits from gaming history. It's a pity so few know of it... at least the Dandy creator got a Gauntlet arcade unit.

PC Gaijin said:
Only Planet Smashers was an exclusive. Desert Falcon and Dark Chambers were released on the XEGS; Basketbrawl on the Lynx; Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer on the 5200/8-bit/XEGS; and Tower Toppler on a bunch of home computers (even got an NES port as Castellian).

Actually, Desert Falcon was on 2600 as well. So was Dark Chambers. Rescue of Fractalus was on a whole bunch of other computers as well, though it was on 5200 and Atari 8-bit first -- C64, Amstrad CPC, a Tandy, Apple II, Spectrum...

Oh, Rescue on Fractalus wasn't released on 7800. The only console which got a version of the game was the 5200... a 7800 version was developed and the prototype is out there, but it wasn't released.

Ballblazer was also on a whole bunch of other systems, as well as Atari 8-bit/XEGS, 5200 and 7800... not counting its sequel on the PSX, there were Amstrad, Spectrum, and C64 versions, as well as a Japan-only NES (Famicom) release. Tower Toppler you cover (or if it matters, specifically the versions were the Amstrad and Spectrum as 'Nebulus', the 7800, Archimedes, Atari ST, Amiga, C64, and PC as Tower Toppler, and NES and Game Boy as Castellian.)

Yeah, that is pretty interesting, and I didn't know it (or have ever heard of Dark Chambers or Dandy) before a few months ago... Gauntlet actually pretty much was just a clone.

However, it was a vastly improved clone. Even Dark Chambers is pretty bad compared to Gauntlet... really, it's not even close. NES Gauntlet (which I like even more than the arcade game thanks to the fact that it has an ending, that you can save your character and progress, that it has ingame music, etc.) vs. 7800 Dark Chambers... yeah, Dark Chambers doesn't exactly compete. It's not saved by knowing that it actually predates Gauntlet; even so, Gauntlet's still the better game... and 7800 Dark Chambers came out after Gauntlet, they had time to improve things. They didn't really. Too bad... still though, it is interesting to see Gauntlet's inspiration.

Top Bottom