• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed giving LUNAR PSP a fresh translation

May16

The Land
When contacted during RPG Land’s Jog at the Moon, XSeed was still weighing its options regarding the translation in LUNAR’s upcoming PSP port. After a complex series of coin tosses and white board drawings, the company has decided to forge onward with its own script rather than use the one Working Designs did for the game’s PlayStation release. In related news, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony will be released in Japan this November, and some vague time in 2010 in North America. This writer hopes the line, “All dreams are real unless you dream they’re not,” is axed from Luna’s song. Fuck that line.

ethelred

archnemesis said:
^^ Wait, what? A new translation is a bad thing?

For people who grew up playing the Working Designs' versions of the Lunar games, yeah. So much of what people call great about those games is wrapped up in the charm, and that's attributable to the writing -- not just the words themselves, but the style and voice and sense of humor that Working Designs brought to them. And speaking of voice, the actual voice actors, too.

When Vic said that GaijinWorks offered its services to XSEED for the new translation but they were declined, I lost a decent amount of interest in the game.

archnemesis said:
I've tried a re-translated Lunar before. It turns out Lunar is a stunningly average jRPG without the brilliant WD translation. So yeah, not interested.

ethelred said:
For people who grew up playing the Working Designs' versions of the Lunar games, yeah. So much of what people call great about those games is wrapped up in the charm, and that's attributable to the writing -- not just the words themselves, but the style and voice and sense of humor that Working Designs brought to them. And speaking of voice, the actual voice actors, too.

When Vic said that GaijinWorks offered its services to XSEED for the new translation but they were declined, I lost a decent amount of interest in the game.

wasn't vic that turned off the offer?

archnemesis said:

Working Designs was essentially the mother of all Atlus's, NIS's, XSEED's, and what ever the hell. They were the first company to bring Japanese games (usually JRPG's) to American soil. But what really makes them stand out is that (for their time at least) they gave amazingly good translations. Today the translations seem decent at best by back in the days when translations were filled with grammar errors and kindergarden dialogue they were a Godsend. So most people prefer to have the original translation the way they remember it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I've tried a re-translated Lunar before. It turns out Lunar is a stunningly average jRPG without the brilliant WD translation. So yeah, not interested.

I've keep telling people this but they refuse to listen. :(

MotherFan

ethelred said:

Sums up my thoughts completely. Lunar:SSSC was a decent game, but it was the characters and the script that kept me playing it (and enjoying it.) Lunar:EB was a much better game, but without the script and how it handles the characters....I am just going to avoid it now. That is truly what made those games great.

WD script or bust

I liked WD translations up until Silver Star Story Complete. The flatulance, the excessive use of out of place sexual references and other bodily humor ("you guys are as perky as my waitresses on a cold day" was among the least ridiculous), and the overall sophomoric tone of the translation really killed it for me. I welcome this change.

That said, I would only get this if they improve the gameplay. The battles in the psx version were quite dull and repetitive.

Edgeward

Considering how well the translation for Holy Invasion of Privacy was, it's no big loss for me. Still a want on my list. And the half minute hero demo was quite amusing too.

Edgeward said:
Considering how well the translation for Holy Invasion of Privacy was, it's no big loss for me. Still a want on my list. And the half minute hero demo was quite amusing too.
What does the translation of Holy Invasion (by NISA) have to do with the translation of Lunar (by XSEED)?

Anyway, the only Hail Mary XSEED could pull to get my sale at this point is to have John Truitt voicing Ghaleon.

Llyranor

I enjoyed Lunar 1/2 PSX for the localization alone. The gameplay was extremely mediocre and repetitive. I'd probably pass on this too (if I had a PSP to begin with).

Edgeward

Segata Sanshiro said:
What does the translation of Holy Invasion (by NISA) have to do with the translation of Lunar (by XSEED)?

Anyway, the only Hail Mary XSEED could pull to get my sale at this point is to have John Truitt voicing Ghaleon.

Gahh! Man, I should stop writing in the morning. -_-

duckroll

XSEED is obviously just cashing in on what they see as potential profit in nostalgia by picking up this average looking remake of Lunar. Unfortunately for them, most people who actually care about Lunar, only care about it because of Working Designs. By retranslating it, it'll be just another average JRPG which is now pretty dated and it doesn't even look that great. If they wanted to actually pick up an oldschool 2D JRPG on the PSP which has never been localized before and would appeal to the same fanbase that liked WD games, they should have licensed Tengai Makyou 4th Apocalypse. Then they wouldn't even have to deal with this nonsense about retranslation. :)

MechaX

Segata Sanshiro said:

This is what I was worried about the most. Sure, nostalgia might be whipping me profusely at this point, but I appreciated the script and the voice acting (especially the hammy voice acting from Ghaleon and Zophar). Without all of that, I could see Lunar taking itself a little bit too seriously, which is the last thing I would want.

Although, what if XSeed's localization manages to be as good as the WD one?

ethelred

Y2Kev said:
I didn't know so many people thought Lunar was...mediocre.

I'll part company from the crowd here and say that I don't really think it's that mediocre. I like the basic traditional RPG battle system, I think the game has some pretty decent dungeons, and it has a good challenge. I also think Iwadare's music for the game is great.

But it's unquestionable that Lunar is regarded as a classic first and foremost because of the Working Designs translation. Stripping that away (or not doing a new one that's either written by the guy who made the first what it was or is at least based on the work they did) leaves a much lesser game in its place, and I'm not sure why that's really desirable when the original game is playable, intact, on the PSP already.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Ghaleon without John Truitt is like Darth Vader without James Earl Jones.

Shadow780 said:
One retail and one digital.

Why? :lol

Oldschool said:
Yeah yeah. I dont get the hate. It´s like the history and characters will suck now.

I trust Xseed.

The thing is, it has nothing to do with trusting XSEED. For a lot of its products, XSEED has handed the localization off to 8-4, which is a very talented company and does great work. I'd actually say that 8-4 is by far one of the better localization outfits today.

But they're not Working Designs, they don't do games in the same style or spirit as Working Designs, the new text will not have the same voice that caused a lot of people growing up to hail the original as a classic. Not sure why anyone is acting like it's difficult to get why people would find this unpalatable.

KTallguy said:
Do you think the previous localization has jokes etc. that wouldn't be relevant today?

Even if there are elements that wouldn't pass muster today, it's possible to take the original script and use that as a jumping off point, reworking specific elements that need to be updated. That's how Square translated the original Ted Woolsey scripts for Chrono Trigger and FF6 when they did their GBA/DS ports, and those were much less iconic scripts than the Working Designs one for Lunar.

Ledsen

Good. I have the PSX game if I want to play the WD translation, it'll be interesting to see this new take on it.

May16

They should hav eone dude do every voice like on those storybooks that came with tapes I'd listen to when I was a kid. Hearing the narrator also become a thug and then a damsel in distress was pretty rad.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MechaX said:
Although, what if XSeed's localization manages to be as good as the WD one?

No matter what they do, people have already made up their mind and have equipped the rose tinted googles.

KTallguy said:
Do you think the previous localization has jokes etc. that wouldn't be relevant today?
The movie Ghostbusters has jokes that aren't terribly relevant today, but I'm not sure how people would react if new releases of it on Blu-Ray had the script re-written and the dialogued re-dubbed by different actors. And the lyrics to the theme song were changed.

Kintaro

Segata Sanshiro said:
The movie Ghostbusters has jokes that aren't terribly relevant today, but I'm not sure how people would react if new releases of it on Blu-Ray had the script re-written and the dialogued re-dubbed by different actors. And the lyrics to the theme song were changed.

*dylanwat.gif*

toneroni

have PSX version which i never completed. Wonder if this will be good. I was always too lazy to rip it for my psp...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Segata Sanshiro said:
Not the best analogy.

The game's original language is Japanese.
The WD translation was just their take on it. Multiple translations are good, just like they're good for classic books, good to get all views on it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
This would be more like getting up in arms because the arabic dub of Ghostbusters now has less jokes involving naming the shop owner Oliver North.

dallow_bg said:
Not the best analogy.

The game's original language is Japanese.
The WD translation was just their take on it.
Gee, I wonder which version I'm familiar with exclusively?

To whit, I don't give a fuck what the original Japanese version says. I fell in love with the English WD script of the game. I have no connection at all with the original Japanese script.

The Ubisoft translation was apparently a more literal translation of the Japanese script. It read like typical failgrade bullshit.

The analogy applies to picking at the relevancy of the jokes. Jokes do age, but that doesn't mean they ought to be excised from the script upon re-release.

Kintaro

Segata Sanshiro said:

To whit, I don't give a fuck what the original Japanese version says. I fell in love with the English WD script of the game. I have no connection at all with the original Japanese script.

The Ubisoft translation was apparently a more literal translation of the Japanese script. It read like typical failgrade bullshit.

The analogy applies to picking at the relevancy of the jokes. Jokes do age, but that doesn't mean they ought to be excised from the script upon re-release.

How about this? Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete is WD's game. Lunar: Harmony of Silver star is XSEED's game. Let them put out their their version of the game since it is a remake.

Just like if their was a Ghostbusters remake, they shouldn't be expected to be exactly like the old Ghostbusters movie.

You have your WD version. Let Xseed have theirs. It could turn out awesome.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Segata Sanshiro said:

So the XSEED version is more literal? Is it not as funny? Is it more serious? Well, you don't know.
I guess I'm just not so quick to condemn something I haven't read.

And as Kintaro said, this is a remake.

Bullshit. I'm not buying this crap. I won't even bother to borrow or pirate it. I don't want it anywhere near me. Lunar:SSSC is the game that got me into gaming, and its translation is perfectly fine the way it is. Fuck that writer for wanting to change the theme song. I still have the goddamn soundtrack and the fucking puppet.

Against. So very against.

Meh, I'll give it a shot before I start hating on it.

If you guys dislike the new graphics and are now upset that the script isn't gonna be identical, why don't you just rip your psx copy to a memory card, replay it again on your psp and be done with it?

Top Bottom