• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

Website has been updated again. Meltzer tried the HoR minority leader but he didn't listen. Obviously he isn't the only one noticing the patterns. I think it suggests that he is going to send some information to ONI.

Zophar said:
PS3 exclusive? what?

I really doubt it. AFAIK Bioshock 1 didn't exactly set the PS3 world on fire when it came out. Nowhere near enough for this to be PS3 only, at least. PS360PC seems to be the right answer.

Puck

Banned
iceatcs said:
I'm confused, I thou it was coming on April.
Picture from GT.
That's weird. Maybe the April issue of AU OPM is already out at subscribers and they are putting Bioshock in the June issue instead. Do you know if that is from March or April?

Either way, i will try to get a copy of April next week.

Azzwanker said:
Im reading rumours MS wants it exclusieve to X360. What a crap why would they announce the sequal on PS3

i'm pretty sure bioshock2 will be multi this time.
multi mags, ps3 mags and perhaps very soon xbox mags are starting to talk about this game.
imo it's just waiting confirmation.
what will probably happen is some kinda of exclusive dlc so hell if i care.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just read about a bunch of details from the newest GI about Bioshock 2 from the TXB forums. I'll spoiler tag all of 'em for you guys.

-You play as Jack Abbott
-Game takes place in 1967, 7 years after the original
-A cutscene starts the game off In New York City as Jack intercepts the Big Sister kidnapping his daughter in his beachhouse. He follows it to the near by shores as it submerges into the water.
-Mark chases the Big Sister with his boat, and follows the bright red light it makes underwater.
-Mark fires a gun at the Big Sister and pisses it off, causing it to wreck his boat, causing Mark to black out.

Solving the whole Big Sister debate:
-Only one Big Sister (Mastermind of game)

I can't believe they're actually doing this :(

-Big Daddies are no longer in the game, but new enemies include dogs and soviets

Some other goodies
-Completely new levels of Rapture, including a fully explorable zoo.
-Underwater exploration levels.
-Squid Boss battles
-New weapons and plasmids (Including a telepathy and time control)
-Challenge maps

And a big "FUCK YES" to this:
-2 Player co-op. (No mention on who second player is)
-New Health and Revival System.

Soviets? what?

Also, a billion gazillion dollars says that
the new health system is the same regenerating health system that is in every other console FPS now. don't give up, half-life, you're my only hope <3

Domino Theory said:
Just read about a bunch of details from the newest GI about Bioshock 2 from the TXB forums. I'll spoiler tag all of 'em for you guys.

-You play as Jack Abbott
-Game takes place in 1967, 7 years after the original
-A cutscene starts the game off In New York City as Jack intercepts the Big Sister kidnapping his daughter in his beachhouse. He follows it to the near by shores as it submerges into the water.
-Mark chases the Big Sister with his boat, and follows the bright red light it makes underwater.
-Mark fires a gun at the Big Sister and pisses it off, causing it to wreck his boat, causing Mark to black out.

Solving the whole Big Sister debate:
-Only one Big Sister (Mastermind of game)

I can't believe they're actually doing this :(

-Big Daddies are no longer in the game, but new enemies include dogs and soviets

Some other goodies
-Completely new levels of Rapture, including a fully explorable zoo.
-Underwater exploration levels.
-Squid Boss battles
-New weapons and plasmids (Including a telepathy and time control)
-Challenge maps

Is this the same Jack from BioShock 1?

Things I am unsure of/gave me a WTF impression:
-Squid Boss Battles
-Dogs and Soviets

I'm assuming this
zoo level
is the same
zoo level
that was cut from the first game.

What do they mean, exactly, by
underwater exploration levels?

Story doesn't look good going off this, but then again, it's only one bit of information.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dax01 said:
What do they mean, exactly, by
underwater exploration levels?

I assume they mean
that you can actually go around in the water outside Rapture instead of being inside the buildings the entire time. Could be wrong though as I don't have the magazine.

Nirolak said:
I assume they mean
that you can actually go around in the water outside Rapture instead of being inside the buildings the entire time. Could be wrong though as I don't have the magazine.
That'd be pretty awesome.

Spoo

Torn up as fuck about
coop. On the one hand, my friend can play -- on the other hand, it's hard as hell to do good horror scenes when you're worried about making the experience good for that second player

Everything else sounds grand. Dunno about
having no big daddys

Puck

Banned
Fuck.

They (
big daddies
) were the main part of Bioshock to me. They were just so twisted and fun, and yet so protective and caring of little sisters :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My friend and I were just talking about
the Soviets. We came to the conclusion they probably found Rapture while sending around their nuclear submarines during that era. At least, that was the most logical conclusion we could come to as why they would be there.

BeeDog

Ugh at those new details, doesn't sound appealing to me at all. While I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game (still regret that Limited Edition purchase, hah) I did find the setting to be great, especially since you're alone in a hostile environment and all that.
Co-op will certainly destroy some of the atmosphere (see RE5).

Isn't sounding too good...

However for me the biggest problem with the first was how the moral challenge of the title was completely obsolete, failing to effect the player, make them think or even attempt to link it to the narrative. If they're daring enough they could do some pretty amazing things with co-op in that area. If it's the standard "It's more fun to play with your friend!" colour me disappointed.

Also wasn't the first originally meant to include Soviets?

Spoo

randomwab said:
I agree, I'm really hope there details aren't real. They just sound so......I don't know, they just don't sound right.

Yeah, I don't want to fight
dogs and soviets instead of big daddys and cool splicers etc

Domino Theory said:

Sounds awful. Probably going to dumb it down into a straight FPS with minimal exploration.

All of the details sound pretty shitty, in fact.

I have been one of the biggest Bioshock boosters on these boards (check out the av) and I am really worried about these new details. Soviets and Giant Squids? I am afraid they are turning Bioshock into a generic game instead of the deep, profound experience that the first one was.

I am surprised to see so many people worried about the coop. They can still design the game around having one player and just have a coop mode where a second player joins in a tacked on manner.

Big Sister?
That sounds pretty dumb.
I'll miss the Big Daddies too, they were the most iconic part of the original. Co-op sounds interesting but it'll detract majorly from the feeling of isolation in the original.

Here is an alternative retelling of the Game Informer article that backs up some points and has a few other pieces of info.

"- Takes place 7 years after the original. The main character is Jake Abbott, a private investigator searching for one of the girls kidnapped by Big Sister.

- Two-player co-op is added.

- New enemies include spliced up dogs and bipedal robots, which like other mechanical enemies can be hacked to assist the player.

- Two of the new plasmids were revealed. One slows down time for a few seconds. The more interesting one is Telepathy, which you can use to eavesdrop on the thoughts of NPCs and gain information. For example, you can use Telepathy to uncover the combination to a keypad or gain insights into enemy weaknesses which translate into damage bonuses and new tonics.

- Epic boss battles and underwater gameplay. Much of Rapture is now flooded and you will need to don a diving suit to explore these areas as well as venture outside Rapture itself. An underwater boss fight was shown with a gigantic squid, which can cloak itself and use its massive tentacles to smash into Rapture and hurl debris. One of the concept artworks hinted at a boss battle with a mutated, spliced rhino in Rapture's zoo.

- Jake won't be the only one investigating Rapture. At some point in the story, Soviet agents arrive from a submarine, hoping to acquire Adam and use it to gain an advantage over the Americans in the Cold War. Soviet enemies will be much smarter than splicers, using cover and flanking maneuvers and working in groups. As the game progresses they will begin splicing themselves and be able to use plasmids against you. The Soviets and splicers will fight against each other and the player can use that to their advantage. "

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Or they can ruin the atmosphere (see RE5). I'll be fine with the old NES day Co-op where 2P is just palette swapped.

And ugh, swimming levels. Have they ever been done well?

Puck said:
Fuck.

They (
big daddies
) were the main part of Bioshock to me. They were just so twisted and fun, and yet so protective and caring of little sisters :(

You know, that last sentence completely gives away what's in the spoiler tag.

Firestorm

Did this just turn into generic fps #7? I love co-op. It makes/break fps purchases for me. But Bioshock and Metroid Prime are the few games I don't like co-op in. It just doesn't seem to fit a slow exploration-based adventure game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Firestorm said:
Did this just turn into generic fps #7?

I'd wait until we at least see the game before declaring that. The second set of details sounds much more... BioShock like than the first set.

monkspider said:
Here is an alternative retelling of the Game Informer article that backs up some points and has a few other pieces of info.

"- Takes place 7 years after the original. The main character is Jake Abbott, a private investigator searching for one of the girls kidnapped by Big Sister.
Ok, thats cool.

I'm down with that.

- New enemies include spliced up dogs and bipedal robots, which like other mechanical enemies can be hacked to assist the player.

Hmmm, ok...

- Two of the new plasmids were revealed. One slows down time for a few seconds. The more interesting one is Telepathy, which you can use to eavesdrop on the thoughts of NPCs and gain information. For example, you can use Telepathy to uncover the combination to a keypad or gain insights into enemy weaknesses which translate into damage bonuses and new tonics.

Sounds cool, a natural progression from the first game.

- Epic boss battles and underwater gameplay. Much of Rapture is now flooded and you will need to don a diving suit to explore these areas as well as venture outside Rapture itself. An underwater boss fight was shown with a gigantic squid, which can cloak itself and use its massive tentacles to smash into Rapture and hurl debris. One of the concept artworks hinted at a boss battle with a mutated, spliced rhino in Rapture's zoo.

Ugh. Whats next, Sharks with frickin laser beams?

- Jake won't be the only one investigating Rapture. At some point in the story, Soviet agents arrive from a submarine, hoping to acquire Adam and use it to gain an advantage over the Americans in the Cold War. Soviet enemies will be much smarter than splicers, using cover and flanking maneuvers and working in groups. As the game progresses they will begin splicing themselves and be able to use plasmids against you. The Soviets and splicers will fight against each other and the player can use that to their advantage. "

Sounds derivative and generic.

Timber

hey, it's my archnemesis this generation: co-op! what rubbish. it had better be some afterthought shit and not get in the way of the singleplayer experience as co-op is inclined to do.

new enemies are good. enemy variety is the one thing bioshock really needed apart from being an rpg.

underwater gameplay? well that's bound to get people amped! but joking aside, of course i've no idea how this will work but i read diving suit and i just get bad flashbacks of KOTOR.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Ugh. Whats next, Sharks with frickin laser beams?

Even better.

709m2o.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can't wait to see how they work in the Vita-Chambers. It's a big Ryan
family reunion!

do we really have to spoil BS1

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
Can't wait to see how they work in the Vita-Chambers. It's a big Ryan
family reunion!

In all fairness, they did
hint at Ryan being revivable with the vita-chambers in one of the audio diaries in BioShock 1. It was because they were keyed to reviving his exact DNA if I'm remembering right. I actually thought that was the reason he had you kill him in the first one, so he could revive later while everyone thought he was dead. Actually, I wonder, maybe Ryan is actually the co-op partner. o_O

Red

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven and put me through hell.
Chains of love got a hold on me
When passion's a prison you can't break free.

OH! You're a loaded gun ... yeah
OH! There's nowhere to run
No one can save me, the damage is done!

Shot through the heart,
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name
I play my part, and you play your game
You give love a bad name.
You give love a bad name.

Paint your smile on your lips
Blood red nails on your fingertips.
A school boy's dream, you act so shy
Your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye.

WHOA! You're a loaded gun
WHOA! There's nowhere to run
No one can save me the damage is done.

monkspider said:

These sound much better in context, but I'm still unsure about a lot of this. I'll have to see some gameplay footage before I even think about deciding whether or not I like these ideas.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Soviets? NYC cutscene? No big daddies?

goddamn CO OP?!?

I'm OFFICIALLY going on a media blackout and refusing to get hyped about Bioshock 2, until it launches. As of now, I'm going to assume the game is a disppointment, and only review scores matching those of Bioshock 1 will turn my head.

Co-op is disappointing as shit. How in the world can they maintain what made Bioshock Bioshock, if you're cruising around with a friend? WTF.

Edit: Plus the goddamn Russians are equally disappointing. BIOSHOCK WAS ABOUT ISOLATION. Goddam.

Spoo

Man, I totally called the detective stuff.

Spoo said:
Is it possible that some of the game may be just detective work, trying to track down the "kidnappers" and, eventually, following one into Rapture? Who knows

Some of the new stuff sounds okay. The new info says nothing about Big Daddys -- I hope it's bullshit that they're just gone. I mean, really.

Also, coop is dumb. If it's tacked on, fine, but don't sacrifice what others already said is one of the most important parts of the BioShock experience -- being alone, and being scared.

I was really hoping for a game that explored some of Bioshock 1's ideas of morality, the failed utopia, competition vs. communitarianism, and allowed us to learn more about some of Bioshock's interesting characters and see more of the city.

It is way too early to judge, but these details alone make me think they have forgotten what made the first one such a classic and instead just want to apply the Gears of War 2 model of bigger, badder and more badass. That worked great for Gears 2 but it seems tacky when applied to something highbrow like Bioshock.

I really, really hope I am wrong and I could well be, but at this point I am discouraged.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! fuck off co-op......

but....

you could have some really cool things happen with different plasmid combos....

hmmmm....

what a rollercoaster this thread has been

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
My hopes are not really that high after hearing that but hopefully it will turn out for the best the game. I don't think the story will match the first bioshock but you never know.

:(

Not really what I was hoping for in a sequel. Would rather of had a prequel where you're in the midst of the events that caused Rapture to be what it became.

Co-op is nice. I like to be able to play a game with a friend more than experiencing atmosphere. Actually, bad choice of words. I like atmosphere, a friend along isn't going to spoil it for me.

Top Bottom