• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of Hollow on Switch (Horror FPS in UE4 )

Lucifon

I mean, it's impressive that it can pump out high quality assets but it also looks like it's running extremely slow. They'll surely end up dialing it down a lot before release.

Looks like there's still some work to do but considering it runs on high end PC's it's impressive progress.

Yeah, it looks like it runs really slow at the moment (especially that last moment where the weird looking pair of enemies are barfing stuff at the player).

But ignoring the bad quality off-screen twitter vid capture, it seemed to look pretty decent.

tkscz

Yeah frame rate needs a lot of work but still really good they have the visually quality that high.

Was it the frame rate or were the enemies simply moving slowly in that second section? I could tell he was moving slower as he didn't hold the stick at full height.

Cutebrute

Even with a downgrade, having lookers like that will be a huge deal for Switch. This and Doom appear to be setting the bar really high for FPS visuals on Switch.

Was it the frame rate or were the enemies simply moving slowly in that second section? I could tell he was moving slower as he didn't hold the stick at full height.

It's running that slowly because they are testing it out using PC High quality settings, meaning these aren't likely the final graphics settings and it's not been optimized for Switch at all. They're basically posting this like "holy crap look at what this can even attempt to run!"

tkscz

It's running that slowly because they are testing it out using PC High quality settings, meaning these aren't likely the final graphics settings and it's not been optimized for Switch at all. They're basically posting this like "holy crap look at what this can even attempt to run!"

Interesting. Honestly doesn't look like a frame issue. Unless those "barrels" the enemies throw are supposed to move slower than the enemy. It seems to me like the game needs worked on.

th4tguy

Interesting. Honestly doesn't look like a frame issue. Unless those "barrels" the enemies throw are supposed to move slower than the enemy. It seems to me like the game needs worked on.

This video is basically them showing the game running on the system. They hit the convert task in ue4, fixed any major bugs that came up preventing it from booting and then sent it to the unit to run. This is the result of that. It runs, poorly, but it runs. Now they can adjust settings and and most likely go into their game logic and optimize for the system. Honestly, it's running pretty well for PC high settings.

tkscz

This video is basically them showing the game running on the system. They hit the convert task in ue4, fixed any major bugs that came up preventing it from booting and then sent it to the unit to run. This is the result of that. It runs, poorly, but it runs. Now they can adjust settings and and most likely go into their game logic and optimize for the system. Honestly, it's running pretty well for PC high settings.

Apparently the frame rate is fine, at least according to the devs

No, frame rate is good. What you see in the movie it's because of the way how it is recorded.

QJqibeP.png

Yeah frame rate needs a lot of work but still really good they have the visually quality that high.

They said the camera filming it is causing the frame rate to look poor. At least that's what they're saying, but I don't see a reason to doubt them.

They said the camera filming it is causing the frame rate to look poor. At least that's what they're saying, but I don't see a reason to doubt them.

Yeah they're promising direct feed footage soon so there's really no reason for them to lie about this. They'll be found out soon, if bluffing.

I'm pretty optimistic. I saw some bells and whistles (some intense bloom, reflections, etc.) that I wouldn't expect to see on the Switch with this level of detail. Excited to see more.

KLoWn

I don't even know why I read it as Hollow Knight... Disappointed in myself, and the game that it wasn't.

ultrazilla

1080p docked 30fps/720 undocked 30fps Unreal Engine 4.

That's what the developer said they're shooting for. Developer admits the video is making
the framerate look bad but it's smooth
. Not sure why they didn't give out direct feed then but nonetheless looking impressive.

tkscz

That's what the developer said they're shooting for. Developer admits the video is making
. Not sure why they didn't give out direct feed then but nonetheless looking impressive.

my guess is they wanted to show off handheld mode, which most people can't get direct feed from (but he has a devkit, so maybe he can?). I want to see direct feed from docked mode.

They probably wanted to show the wow factor of it running in handheld mode but they did say direct feed footage is coming soon

Rymuth

Aiming looks wonky but that's probably because capture+handheld mode. I am intrigued, tho. Will keep an eye out.

Roo

Developer admits the video is making
Yeah..... I’ve heard that one before.
If you know your camera is going to make your game look choppy why not record it using another device that makes your game justice?

I’ll wait for direct feed footage.

ASaiyan

Banned
Am I the only one that saw "Hollow Switch" and thought for a second we were finally getting news on Hollow Knight :/

This looks cool. Getting serious Prey('17) vibes. 30fps tho.

Litri

I was really interested in the game a long ago. Sounds like the perfect horror game for my business trips. Will be there day one.

nynt9

Yeah..... I’ve heard that one before.
If you know your camera is going to make your game look choppy why not record it using another device that makes your game justice?

I’ll wait for direct feed footage.

Yeah I find this questionable too. The video itself doesn't look choppy, looking at his hands and whatnot. I'll wait for some direct footage.

Surfside

Banned
Am I the only one that saw "Hollow Switch" and thought for a second we were finally getting news on Hollow Knight :/

This looks cool. Getting serious Prey('17) vibes. 30fps tho.

Damn, thought this was about Hollow Knight lol
But i remember now, this is that Soma like horror game.

Yeah looks not bad. But it seems more similar to Prey, after watching it.

-Horizon-

Try to lock it as close and consistently to 30fps and you have my attention.

Top Bottom