• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: new Half-Life 2: Episode 3 concept art revealed (from 2008)

Update:

valvetime.net said:
For the avoidance of doubt, I just want to stress that we absolutely would not release these pictures if we didn't know for a fact they were real.

They absolutely are.

Please just enjoy them as they are, and try not to look for conspiracies that aren't there.

I mean, it's not like we're doing it to attract traffic to our site. We know our server can't cope with the load so we don't want massive influxes of traffic like this. You may have noticed we've been offline since!

The artwork appears to be in the same style of Andrea Wicklund who has worked at Valve since 2006. This fits with the circa-2008 dating of this art, so it's likely her work:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1193669&p=36513563&viewfull=1#post36513563

This is official art, and I'm shocked that this day has come!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31353139&postcount=28

Because I know who the source is, but I'm not going to give it away just yet for exclusivity reasons. (Unless it was mentioned in our news post, but I haven't seen the news post)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31353185&postcount=33

No, not leaked in that context. It was found in the same way we found the SOB art.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31353437&postcount=42

Original:

More concept art from Half-Life: Episode 3 has been released finally. It was sent by an anonymous source to valvetime.net and it's the same anonymous source that revealed concept art for Valve's SOB project: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-half-life-2-episode-3-concept-art.206815/

For example:
Alyx is wearing Eli's jacket
Crashed helicopter in an Arctic location
Art featuring Xen
Combine Advisors in Xen
The images are from circa 2008 and therefore not necessarily representative of the current state of the project, but it's great to see new media, nonetheless.

Gallery is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.375965635802364.86003.274276235971305&type=1

Episode 3 Helicopter:

QYEWV.jpg

Episode 2 Helicopter, which was shown at the end of the game:

Helicopter_White_Forest.jpg

dandoolan

Look's great but any information relating to Half Life 3 or episode 3 usually turns out to be false hope. So forgive me for taking these images with boat loads of salt.

JordanKZ

Seems like way too much work has gone into this for it to be a fake but... All this art looks nothing Half-Life's "art style".

I dunno. I'm still dubious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My heart skipped a beat when I read the thread title. Even though the art is ancient, it's still nice to see something relatively new (assuming it's official, of course).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks cool but the art style doesn't totally jive with Valve's usual concept work, aside from the one of the advisor.

Ein Bear

Honestly came in expecting a joke thread.

I like Alyx wearing Eli's jacket, that's a nice touch. God I just want it to come out so bad :(

Part of me would have thought their helicopter ride wouldn't have been that easy-ridin' anyway. Whether this stuff's real or not, it's still cool to look at. Good find.

Strange that they decide to put their own image on these 'concept arts' very strange...
Almost like their trying to go viral and promote their site...

Well, it has been said that the concept art comes from the same source that revealed art from Valve's SOB project. So this is most likely legit.

Izick

Episode 3? Hmm, I figured it'd just straight-up be 3, so that Valve could just make one last HL game and move on once and for all.

Jb

This franchise is such a goddamn mess. I'll be disappointed if the next iteration is Episode 3 and not just 3.

Cool. Changing Alyx' design seems to indicate a different direction of some sort though.

I wonder what the role of Xen would have been. Cutting the combine off permanently? Human Exodus from Earth? (I mean: the combine are going to strike back eventually, as Kleiner pointed out. And with advisors being pretty much unbeatable...)

Actually, I kind of think they wrote themselves in a corner with the advisors. Telekinesis is sorta hard to beat with uhm.. sticks and stones.

OnPoint

They need to release some concrete definite info on this game, or else I'm going to continue waiting and cursing into the darkness until we get some.

OnPoint

Cool. Changing Alyx' design seems to indicate a different direction of some sort though.

I wonder what the role of Xen would have been. Cutting the combine off permanently? Human Exodus from Earth? (I mean: the combine are going to strike back eventually, as Kleiner pointed out. And with advisors being pretty much unbeatable...)

Actually, I kind of think they wrote themselves in a corner with the advisors. Telekinesis is sorta hard to beat with uhm.. sticks and stones.

It will be revealed that Gordon Freeman is, in fact, Morgan Freeman. He will then use the God-powers he was granted by his role in Bruce Almighty and restore order to the universe.

Alternate ending: It will be revealed that Gordon Freeman is actually the Vortigaunt king, but he was stricken with amnesia as a side effect of taking human form. He will regain his memory when Dr. Breen returns from the dead and pulls the ripcord on his actual master plan -- to reawaken Gordon's true self. His abilities will be grand and terrible, and he will erase the entire Combine army with a sneeze.

Saty

For the avoidance of doubt, I just want to stress that we absolutely would not release these pictures if we didn't know for a fact they were real.

They absolutely are.

Please just enjoy them as they are, and try not to look for conspiracies that aren't there.

I mean, it's not like we're doing it to attract traffic to our site. We know our server can't cope with the load so we don't want massive influxes of traffic like this. You may have noticed we've been offline since!

Jasoneyu

If these are legit picture, I really like this image. Can really feel how valve could possible animate this free flowing thing:
n5buP.jpg

Nibel

Man.. Valve would win the goddamn internet if they'd announce it properly
The pressure on them must be tough

dandoolan

The thing is, I have no trouble believing they are real. I do however stumble when it comes to believing Episode 3 is going to happen. If it was it would have long ago. If this work is for episode three, then it is simply work done for the game before it fell off valves priority list.

Top Bottom