• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

So I am in a pickle. I met this really cool girl on a dating website, we have a lot in common, got her number, been texting, but she's not exactly the most attractive. She's just average. Part of me wants to take her out cause we've been hitting it off, but I also don't want to waste time and money on someone who, based on her pics, isn't the most attractive girl I've been with.

If she's borderline you can try her out. I've been lucky in that every girl I've met has looked at least a little better than her pics, but it's definitely disappointing and probably won't really work if she's still below your standards.

Worst thing about me personally is there are girls that I think are plenty good looking for -me- but I'd be embarrassed to show my family or friends. That's pretty damn fucked I guess.

hipgnosis

Had a great date again with the gorgeous and smart girl I told before. The best part is she really seems to like me as well. Lots of cuddling and hand holding. She came with a kiss when we were leaving my apartment and waiting for an elevator to arrive. We also had a nice moment when we were waiting for a tram.

Life is beautiful.

Hylian7

Just got back from the lunch date. She was pretty cute and smart. Definitely want to see her again. I felt like things went pretty well. There wasn't any weird excuse to end the date like last time too. Also it apparently made her day that I covered the bill for her, she said no one has ever paid for anything for her before.

If she's borderline you can try her out. I've been lucky in that every girl I've met has looked at least a little better than her pics, but it's definitely disappointing and probably won't really work if she's still below your standards.

Worst thing about me personally is there are girls that I think are plenty good looking for -me- but I'd be embarrassed to show my family or friends. That's pretty damn fucked I guess.

Yeah see I mean my standards aren't as high as some of my friends, but it sucks when she seems like a cool girl and she's not attractive. We'll see though.

Hylian7

Supporting this a little bit, the girl I had a date with today was "borderline" from the pics and actually ended up looking much better in person. So the moral of this story is don't be afraid.

Branson

Can I talk about a break up I'm going through in this thread or should I not? My 5 year relationship just ended and I'm lonely :(

Hylian7

Can I talk about a break up I'm going through in this thread or should I not? My 5 year relationship just ended and I'm lonely :(

Are you me from a little over a month ago?

Seriously though, there's no reason why not, I did.

On an unrelated note, I found out that one of my friends actually knows the girl I had the date with today, so a double date is potentially there in the future. My friend also told me that this girl apparently has a really sensitive orgasm-inducing spot on her hand, that might come in handy (pun not intended...).

Let it out, dude. Just let it out.

But be manly about it.

Well, if you cry, I won't judge you. There's no BronzeWolf or she-devil to hurt you here.

tumblr_m07gvvVjNo1r5bbro.gif

Let it all out man.

Anyway, this girl really wants to meet me, so it looks like we're gonna go out to lunch sometime soon. First date in awhile so believe.

low-G

How crazy is too crazy to invite a girl into your home?

Like, she's a liberal, so that makes me think she's perfectly sane. But she's needy.

She invited me into her home barely knowing me for that matter.

How crazy is too crazy to invite a girl into your home?

Like, she's a liberal, so that makes me think she's perfectly sane. But she's needy.

She invited me into her home barely knowing me for that matter.

You need to be more descriptive. There are insane liberals out there too. Insanity knows no political sphere.

low-G

You need to be more descriptive. There are insane liberals out there too. Insanity knows no political sphere.

Wasn't entirely serious about the liberal part.

So she's one of those people that texts me every other day asking if I ever do want to see her again even though I reassure her that I do. That level of crazy doesn't bother me as long as she doesn't start knocking on my door later when I'm seeing another girl (I've been open about dating around from the start).

Branson

Oh ok. Thanks guys. I'm trying to collect my thoughts as this came abruptly Thursday night. We were engaged for about 3 and a half years too. We started dating the summer after high school and through our college days and we both graduated. Her more recently as an RN and now works at a hospital with long hours every night. I didn't see her as much. It sucked but I understood. But it got to a point to where she wouldn't talk to me as much and I sort of said I felt like I didn't exist.

This upset her and that same night we had a long talk about what's been going on lately and this lead her to saying she's changing and needs to be independent for a while. She said that we don't have anything in common anymore and that she's not in love but will always love me. As much as that hurt I understood. Right now she needs the space for her sake and I think my sake as I was making her my sole source of happiness.

She ended the relationship that night and it went as good as a breakup could be. We were kissing and laughing while still obviously upset about breaking up. I was trying to stay positive and let her know I'll be here for her. Time apart may be good for us. I just hope it isnt perminate.

We promised to keep in touch and she told me not to delete her off of Facebook and I havent yet. The only contact we've had was the day after to get her phone to her own line and to check up on each other. Since then it's only been draw something plays (lol).

Anyway thanks for letting me post this. I'm just confused as to what to do next. Part of me is telling myself to just have no contact and make her miss me but then the other half is saying why not talk to her she's easy to talk to. Idk guys. Im just meh right now. As I should be I guess.

It's a typical case where people go through the formative go-crazy-and-have-fun days of the early 20's while in a relationship. HS sweetheart relationship rarely work because people confuse what love is, or get freaked out at the idea that they never experienced adult-hood in all of it's freedom.

It can really go both ways, where she will find nothing worth it out there and will come back to you, or she will discover herself and find another relationship. In fact, behind the scenes, maybe meeting someone potentially new (not necessarily cheating) was what prompted her to change towards you.

In either scenario, you have to question if you want to be with someone that can leave you like that. Do you value yourself so low that you are willing to be at the mercy of someone else? By now you are used to her and you have comfort in that, but you yourself admited that your happiness was dependent on her. This is a clear sign that you have to mature and become your own man.

This is the moment for you to truly experience life in all of it's awesomeness and find happiness in your own damn self. The minute you don't depend on someone for validation, is the moment you'll know true love when it hits you in the face. Depending on someone for happiness is NOT love. In time, you'll look back and realize this.

Prologue

So I am in a pickle. I met this really cool girl on a dating website, we have a lot in common, got her number, been texting, but she's not exactly the most attractive. She's just average. Part of me wants to take her out cause we've been hitting it off, but I also don't want to waste time and money on someone who, based on her pics, isn't the most attractive girl I've been with.

I had one or two instances like this. One case we just didn't end up clicking.

The other case, attraction grew day by day. It got to the point where I couldn't stop looking at her.

Ball is in your court.

brian

Sorry to hear. I know it's difficult, but I would suggest letting her go for a while. If you stay friends, you're just going to be holding out hope that there is still a future there. Who knows, maybe you reconnect somewhere down the road, but for now it is healthier for you both to stay out of each other's lives because it's going to slow you from moving on.

NateDrake

Okay, so I've been attending a new bar the last few weeks. Not really my scene as the place is really low-key & it has a lot of regulars, mostly the twenty or so people who attend it. Thing is: I've been there twice & have left with two different girl's numbers. One is a regular & another who was their with friends & a date -- yes, I scored her number despite her being there with a guy.

Now, how do I play both of the girls knowing they will likely be at the bar at the same time on the same night? I'm going to the movies with one tomorrow & the other won't be back in town for another week or so since she is in the process of to the area.

I've never had a problem with two or more girls in more location since I usually attend bars with a hundred or so people in it. This place everyone knows each other & it makes it slightly more complicated.

Xun

I've got to learn to maintain eye contact properly.

Some fine girl in Subway was looking my way (hopefully not for negative reasons, ha) as I was ordering some food.

Branson

About her meeting someone new I don't know if that's it since she barely had time for me and works on an all girl floor at the hospital. And she told me that it wasn't another man. lol. And she grew kind of meh at the idea of that too. I'm just at that stage of weird hope that's still a bit of shock I guess. 5 years is a long time and we are both 24 and I thought we were mature enough to talk this out. I didn't think this day would come honestly. We seemed strong. Just a bit different recently because of her working so much. I respected her decision though and let her go free. I did everything I could do in the relationship and was an amazing person to her and she realized that. Hopefully that's something.

Shit. She sent another Draw Something. Lol.

Sarye

About her meeting someone new I don't know if that's it since she barely had time for me and works on an all girl floor at the hospital. And she told me that it wasn't another man. lol. And she grew kind of meh at the idea of that too. I'm just at that stage of weird hope that's still a bit of shock I guess. 5 years is a long time and we are both 24 and I thought we were mature enough to talk this out. I didn't think this day would come honestly. We seemed strong. Just a bit different recently because of her working so much. I respected her decision though and let her go free. I did everything I could do in the relationship and was an amazing person to her and she realized that. Hopefully that's something.

Shit. She sent another Draw Something. Lol.

It's harder to heal if she's still in your life. I have friends who are still hung up with their ex's years later because of that. Part of it is that there is that hope that she might come back to you. But you have to have the mindset that that chance is gone. Do whatever you need to do, but it's not going to be healthy for you to be in contact with her like that.

Funny story about Draw Something. I am playing Draw Something with my ex and I got the word, "breakup". That would be awkward if that came up for you too haha

Mendrox

Well shoot me. I made out with the sister of my best friend. He doesn't know fortunatly.

Heres the problem... she's 15 and I am 21 (she will be 16 next month) and she kind of trys to hold me sometimes when I don't call her or write her back (well not often... so she's not really clingy, whatever). Problem is that my best "girl" friend knows that I had something with her and like some of you know I have a crush on her kind of. I am finally able to also crack her shell (I've got to be with her, and as I was hugging her last time and told her that everything is okay and that sometimes some people need to be hugged, she was starting to cry and she thanked me at night)

His sister is really mature and good looking and soon she's going on a exchange, so nothing to loose I guess? I should have fun and don't think about anything. My best friend is okay with me even if she's at my place (I got the go... so?)

Awh. And then there is another girl who wants to hook up with me... does look very good too. I know I have really stupid problems. Any advice? lol.

Branson

It's harder to heal if she's still in your life. I have friends who are still hung up with their ex's years later because of that. Part of it is that there is that hope that she might come back to you. But you have to have the mindset that that chance is gone. Do whatever you need to do, but it's not going to be healthy for you to be in contact with her like that.

Funny story about Draw Something. I am playing Draw Something with my ex and I got the word, "breakup". That would be awkward if that came up for you too haha

Yeah. I know I'm prolonging it. But it feels right right now. We promised to keep in contact and not to remove each other from Facebook. Maybe it was an in the moment thing. Maybe it wasn't. I'm not sure. Break ups even for the best hurt :(.

She thanked me for being so understanding about her situation. Which makes me have hope(ugh) again. The past day or so it's been really hard not to text her though.

Yeah. I know I'm prolonging it. But it feels right right now. We promised to keep in contact and not to remove each other from Facebook. Maybe it was an in the moment thing. Maybe it wasn't. I'm not sure. Break ups even for the best hurt :(.

At first i thought this would be the way to go but i was a lot happier when i decided to just cut my ex out of my life completely. It just let me focux on improving myself and forgetting about what happened. When i was talking to her it would constantly remind me of what happened and i was always hoping maybe she would change her mind.

Personally i think if we're truly good friends then at some point down the line when things have settled down we will probably ended up getting back in touch. If that doesn't happen than it probably means we weren't that good friends anyway.

The idea of going straight from a long term relationship to just being friends just doesn't sit well with me.

Branson

At first i thought this would be the way to go but i was a lot happier when i decided to just cut my ex out of my life completely. It just let me focux on improving myself and forgetting about what happened. When i was talking to her it would constantly remind me of what happened and i was always hoping maybe she would change her mind.

Personally i think if we're truly good friends then at some point down the line when things have settled down we will probably ended up getting back in touch. If that doesn't happen than it probably means we weren't that good friends anyway.

The idea of going straight from a long term relationship to just being friends just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah. I also agree and if this was a shorter relationship where we didn't know each other very well I wouldn't be as hung up on this. Would have deleted her from fb, etc. Right now though. I don't know. Lol. Bah.

Yeah. I also agree and if this was a shorter relationship where we didn't know each other very well I wouldn't be as hung up on this. Would have deleted her from fb, etc. Right now though. I don't know. Lol. Bah.

I was with her for 4 years. There is no need to rush things anyway, everyones different and some people prefer to stay friends with their exes.

Sarye

I was with her for 4 years. There is no need to rush things anyway, everyones different and some people prefer to stay friends with their exes.

I realize everyone has a different way of handling breakups and that's fine. Anecdotally, I found that I needed to relearn how to be single again and cut off all contact with my ex before I can be friends with her.

It's tough because for 4 years, you've been co-dependent with her so naturally when you guys aren't together anymore, you will feel like there's a part of you missing. Do you still keep in contact with your friends? I would say... hang out with them... as much as possible. You don't need to cry on their shoulder or anything but just get out of the house. It will help.

Mendrox said:
Heres the problem... she's 15 and I am 21 (she will be 16 next month) and she kind of trys to hold me sometimes when I don't call her or write her back (well not often... so she's not really clingy, whatever). Problem is that my best "girl" friend knows that I had something with her and like some of you know I have a crush on her kind of. I am finally able to also crack her shell (I've got to be with her, and as I was hugging her last time and told her that everything is okay and that sometimes some people need to be hugged, she was starting to cry and she thanked me at night)

His sister is really mature and good looking and soon she's going on a exchange, so nothing to loose I guess? I should have fun and don't think about anything. My best friend is okay with me even if she's at my place (I got the go... so?)

Awh. And then there is another girl who wants to hook up with me... does look very good too. I know I have really stupid problems. Any advice? lol.

Dude.... dude...

I realize everyone has a different way of handling breakups and that's fine. Anecdotally, I found that I needed to relearn how to be single again and cut off all contact with my ex before I can be friends with her.

It's tough because for 4 years, you've been co-dependent with her so naturally when you guys aren't together anymore, you will feel like there's a part of you missing. Do you still keep in contact with your friends? I would say... hang out with them... as much as possible. You don't need to cry on their shoulder or anything but just get out of the house. It will help.

To be honest i have mostly been focusing on work and going to the gym and that sort of takes my mind off it. Whilst i was with her i kinda neglected my friendships and breaking up with her has made me make a few big changes to my life. I put way to much of my energy into that one relationship to the detrement of all my other relationships and even myself.

As painful as it was i really learned a hell of a lot from the experience. Also i can really relate to the whole learning to be single again, it has been a weird experience. Once i learned to just enjoy my new found freedom things started getting better.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I could use some outside input.

Been friends with a girl for a couple of years. In the last few months it's gotten different and has turned more into a relationship. Last week we made out for the first time. Last night when I tried making a move again she denied my move (and I respected and obliged that)

She's had a tough time, not in the best place in life. Her dad died last summer, she's living in a small apartment with her mom and helps support her with her part-time tutoring job (she's 20, I'm 21 btw), and she has other various family problems. She said she didn't want any drama and she felt pressured (not by me, just in general) She says she just does not want sex (I don't know how far she's went with guys in the past, I never bring up her exes)

She's not seeing any other guys to my knowledge and I know she cares about me (her mom and her made me a nice meal and cake for my bday) And I care about her, I mean, we hang out at least once a week and we've kinda grown up through college together. We made out a little more after last night, but I'm not sure I can have the amount of patience she expects from me. No sex, very little making out, she says she just wants things to flow naturally, but to me (and I could be very wrong, I have very little experience, still a virgin myself), things flowing naturally = hands holding/snuggling -> first base -> second base -> e.t.c.

I don't wanna break things off with her but at the same time what she wants and what I wants are two different things. Should I ask her if I can see other girls just for sex? Should I suck it up and just go slowly? Should I break it off with her and move on? All those options suck. This situation sucks.

Mendrox

I could use some outside input.

Been friends with a girl for a couple of years. In the last few months it's gotten different and has turned more into a relationship. Last week we made out for the first time. Last night when I tried making a move again she denied my move (and I respected and obliged that)

She's had a tough time, not in the best place in life. Her dad died last summer, she's living in a small apartment with her mom and helps support her with her part-time tutoring job (she's 20, I'm 21 btw), and she has other various family problems. She said she didn't want any drama and she felt pressured (not by me, just in general) She says she just does not want sex (I don't know how far she's went with guys in the past, I never bring up her exes)

She's not seeing any other guys to my knowledge and I know she cares about me (her mom and her made me a nice meal and cake for my bday) And I care about her, I mean, we hang out at least once a week and we've kinda grown up through college together. We made out a little more after last night, but I'm not sure I can have the amount of patience she expects from me. No sex, very little making out, she says she just wants things to flow naturally, but to me (and I could be very wrong, I have very little experience, still a virgin myself), things flowing naturally = hands holding/snuggling -> first base -> second base -> e.t.c.

I don't wanna break things off with her but at the same time what she wants and what I wants are two different things. Should I ask her if I can see other girls just for sex? Should I suck it up and just go slowly? Should I break it off with her and move on? All those options suck. This situation sucks.

Be a man, just kiss her, show her your manliness, grab her, take her. Give her the correct amount of respect´, but take what you want.

My favourite saying is:

Don't just talk about things, just do it and you will succeed. (Eureka Seven) :)

Branson

Yeah. Right now I'll see if I can get on with life like this. I've been hanging with friends mostly. Yesterday I exercised and jogged around a track for a bit. Afterwards I felt the happiest I've been since the break up. Also been using some melatonin pills to help me sleep. It helps and I've changed my sleeping patterns for the better.

I wish I was working though, this week is my week paid vacation and it kind of sucks. But I'm trying to keep busy. Watching movies. Friends. I might try to get a new job. Just make some positive changes in my life.

God though, the more I've gotten used to it the more brave I've been about wanting to text her.

Sarye

Dude. I don't know just how good friends you are with him, but I suggest you tell him right away. Don't just hope he never finds out, cause he damn sure will.

Also, as for the whole her being 15 and all. Well, I'm not a prude, I know age is just a number, but from reading your post it feels, to me at least, that you took it a step to far. Not saying your a horrible person, just I got a little weirded out.

But tell your friend.

You and me both man. Especially the advice afterwards about taking what you want. WTF

I'm really hoping it was just his poor English and he actually got with his female friend who he has had a crush on who I assume isn't 15... But I give people the benefit of the doubt too much, and this is GAF lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Be a man, just kiss her, show her your manliness, grab her, take her. Give her the correct amount of respect´, but take what you want.

My favourite saying is:

Don't just talk about things, just do it and you will succeed. (Eureka Seven) :)

I want to work things out with her or find a resolution to the situation, not get slapped in the face and receive a restraining order or get in some weird fucked up domination relationship.

But I appreciate your attempt at advice.

Sarye

It's a tough situation for sure, especially because she has gone through some tough times. A couple of months is a long time for little make out sessions.

If I were you, I would just suck it up for a little while longer and see if things improve. Definitely communicate with her that you are unhappy with the situation. If she says she want things to flow naturally but it's been this long, it can be that she is dealing with something or scared or just not ready for anything intimate.

But if it really bothers you to the point of wanting to break up, no one would blame you for that. Being intimate with your significant other is important in any relationship.

Minamu

Damn, we men are pretty shallow. I realize that, despite not being the most attractive person, I still constantly judge women on their looks...

But this isn't something I want to derail the thread with, so all I have to say is this:

Try and spend time with her and see if you enjoy it. Remember - what Mother Nature giveth, Father Time taketh away. And that's important to remember in looking for a long term relationship.
I don't think it's negative and mean to be shallow if you're being it for the "right" reason. I mean, if you're being shallow in a sense that you lower her value as a human being based on her looks, that's pretty bad indeed. But judging people on looks is also quite genetic and is a mating filter, as men and women have valued different things in a partner, since the dawn of time. Women usually prefer muscular men, not just because they like the look, but because they're programmed to be attracted to the protection that may give them. Big muscles is usually a signal of leadership and power, something that we can't really help but find sexually attractive. So in that sense, the thing we call shallowness is actually one of the most natural things about all of us. Good or bad, I must add.

low-G

Well shoot me. I made out with the sister of my best friend. He doesn't know fortunatly.

Delete this post, hire a good lawyer, tell the judge you thought she was older. Whoops too late quoted.

mcrae

Where would that discussion go? haha I'm not too experienced so I could use some general tips

a route i've heard people suggest is to pretend you havent had sex for a long time. like a year. this is if you're embarrassed about admitting that you're a virgin.

another tip would be to watch a ton of porn, like amateur guy on girl stuff, just to see different positions and how other people.. do it

oral is wonderful.. but if again you're afraid of coming too early, you can always do it intentionally, then do her, by which time you should be ready to go again and plunge on in so to speak.

really unless you're a good actor/really passionate she'll probably know either way, so im not gonna recommend straight up lying to her face, cause then she'll just assum eyou're a really lousy lay. or you can fake it till you make it. lol

Mendrox: 16 and 21 isnt only illegal but its pretty morally wrong, imo

low-G

Where would that discussion go? haha I'm not too experienced so I could use some general tips

The only part of being a virgin that is EVER negative to girls is you won't be very good the first time, so finding someone that either already cares about you a lot or is patient and caring naturally is key. I lost mine to the latter type and everything was perfectly fine.

Do you know enough about the functionality of sex? I had studied enough (actual techniques stuff, not porn) to get her off several times and she said stuff like "How are you this good?" I think if you get some basic understanding of techniques (hands, mouth, and other parts of your body without being too crude for this thread) you'll do well. The point is caring and being attentive, and there are enough guys out there that want to get off themselves and don't care about the rest that if you care you're already going to be a winner.

Just be open, try not to say stuff like 'thank you' or 'sorry' even if you feel those ways. There's going to be good things that happen and bad things, and a lot of stuff you probably don't expect.

But again to put a second crust on this advice sandwich, the people that care the most about themselves being virgins or other people being virgins are virgins. That's all there is.

Cubsfan23

Banned
16 and 21 is legal in a lot of states.........I don't see how it's morally wrong when nobody cared about age differences until the courts all of a sudden decided to rule on it in the 90's or so.

butimnotarapper

Neo Member
The only part of being a virgin that is EVER negative to girls is you won't be very good the first time, so finding someone that either already cares about you a lot or is patient and caring naturally is key. I lost mine to the latter type and everything was perfectly fine.

Do you know enough about the functionality of sex? I had studied enough (actual techniques stuff, not porn) to get her off several times and she said stuff like "How are you this good?" I think if you get some basic understanding of techniques (hands, mouth, and other parts of your body without being too crude for this thread) you'll do well. The point is caring and being attentive, and there are enough guys out there that want to get off themselves and don't care about the rest that if you care you're already going to be a winner.

Just be open, try not to say stuff like 'thank you' or 'sorry' even if you feel those ways. There's going to be good things that happen and bad things, and a lot of stuff you probably don't expect.

But again to put a second crust on this advice sandwich, the people that care the most about themselves being virgins or other people being virgins are virgins. That's all there is.

The first time I had "sex" I fucked up pretty bad lol (no pun) so I know the very basics...after that I read some tips from here that made sense: http://collegeflirt.net/howtofuckagirl/

Maybe you could tell me if that's a good source? I think I'm pretty decent with foreplay stuff. I obviously wouldn't know for sure because I've never asked, but I feel pretty comfortable so that's a good sign

And thanks mcrae, I'll keep those tips in mind too

So uh this girl I went on a date with on saturday and I are going on an ice cream date tonight and we're making dinner plans this weekend. I know she's into me, we've been texting pretty much non-stop and when I kissed her she was definitely into it. I feel like I should just make it official, but it's been so long, I don't really know how to go about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom