• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 to be released between Oct 1st 2016 and March 31st 2017?

Chobel

From SFV sales thread

capcomqju8d.jpg

Resident Evil 7 by the end of next March?

Gurish

I think it's pretty clear, what else could they mean?

Really hope it's more slow paced and horror style.

KingBroly

Banned
So that "full-scale offensive" could be literally anything, right?

Well, we know that they're releasing 4 and 5 (or 5 and 4) on Consoles later this year, so I'll assume that whatever's coming next is spring 2017. My guess is RE2 HD because it's a known quantity.

I simply don't believe Capcom has the personnel to make RE2 HD and RE7 at the same time along with those other projects.

Fady K

Don't forget guys that this offensive could also mean Resident Evil 2 remake instead of RE7. Here's hoping it's both :D

Well, we know that they're releasing 4 and 5 (or 5 and 4) on Consoles later this year, so I'll assume that whatever's coming next is spring 2017. My guess is RE2 HD because it's a known quantity.

I simply don't believe Capcom has the personnel to make RE2 HD and RE7 at the same time along with those other projects.
RE 7 has been in development since 2013. 2017 makes it almost 4 years of development which is more than enough. RE2 HD is is least likely because it started development recently so I doubt they can release it in spring 2017.

Gurish

It's RE2 remake not RE2HD, I'd be much more happy if they mean that, the first REmake is one of my favorites horror games ever, but I do think they mean RE7 from that "full scale offensive" phrasing.

Varth

RE 7 has been in development since 2013. 2017 makes it almost 4 years of development which is more than enough. RE2 HD is is least likely because it started development recently so I doubt they can release it in spring 2017.

Well, we still don't know the real scale of that project.

KingBroly

Banned
It's RE2 remake not RE2HD, I'd be much more happy if they mean that, the first REmake is one of my favorites horror games ever, but I do think they mean RE7 from this phrasing.

I'll write whatever's shorter.

I think if it was RE7, we would have heard about it already.

Gurish

Alright, I thought that maybe you got it wrong and you think it's just a remaster and not a full remake.

And wait till E3, probably at Sony or MS conferences (like they did with 6 at MS's conference), it's most probably a 2017 title, why do you think they would announce it before E3?

Neff

It's not only possible but likely that Capcom is working on RE7 and RE2make in tandem, with entirely separate teams. There have been several occasions over the years where they've had more than one large-scale Resident Evil project on the go. It's their strongest and most successful IP by a mile, so the idea that they'd prioritise it above all else in terms of manpower isn't at all remote.

RE 7 has been in development since 2013.

If they followed standard procedure for mainline RE development, they would have started spitballing story elements, concepts and prototypes as soon as the last game went gold, so late 2012.

Gren

Umbrella Corps. is pretty offensive as it is, how are they gonna top that?

Was gonna make an Operation Racoon City 2 remark, but was beaten to the punch already.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rev 2, and they claim to have been very cognizant of fan feedback during its development, so I'll keep an open mind for 7

Castef

Banned
My bet: basically EVERYTHING Capcom is announcing in the next months will be PS4 console exclusive. They are coming back to PS2 levels of support.

I think if it was RE7, we would have heard about it already.
RE 6 was revealed in 2012 and released in the same year. The same could happen to RE 7. Keep in mind that RE 6 is the largest entry in the series so far and the campaign can take around 30-40 hours depending on your play style.

KingBroly

Banned
RE 6 was revealed in 2012 and released in the same year. The same could happen to RE 7. Keep in mind that RE 6 is the largest entry in the series so far and the campaign can take around 30-40 hours depending on your play style.

and it was rushed out the door.

Capcom has 4 known RE games in development right now. 4, 5, 2HD and Umbrella Corps. 5, would be massive overkill, even if 2HD came out at a later date.

Neff

My bet: basically EVERYTHING Capcom is announcing in the next months will be PS4 console exclusive. They are coming back to PS2 levels of support.

I'll take that bet.

Capcom has 4 known RE games in development right now. 4, 5, 2HD and Umbrella Corps. 5, would be massive overkill, even if 2HD came out at a later date.

7 is definitely deep into development and is probably ripe for a reveal soon.

Funny. Been playing Evil within last night and I was wondering if Resident evil 7 will top it in terms of scary jump scares. Would love to see Claire and Jill return for 7. Let's not forget about Rebecca as well.

The only two games that they have confirmed in development are UC and 2 HD. 4 and 5 are likely being outsourced to other devs for porting purpose. It is not like they require any significant work since they are running on MT Framework engine, which is basically the Fox Engine of PS3 era and one of the best multiplatform engine.

I think RE 6-5 being first to release ahead of RE 4 shows that it is due to MT Framework. RE 4 isn't using MT Framework so it likely requires extra work hence the late release.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have zero confidence in Capcom to make a great RE7, I hope I am wrong.

Abriael

Banned
Does not say that. Both Sanada Yukimura Den and Umbrella Chronicles are seen as preparation to the "full scale offensive." it's not specifically related to resident evil.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

This would be quite stupid - so yeah i can see it happen.

Hellraider

Do you question the fact that the sequel to their best selling series, the sequel to their two best selling games they have ever made, is currently in development?

Gurish

Does not say that. Both Sanada Yukimura Den and Umbrella Chronicles are seen as preparation to the "full scale offensive." it's not specifically related to resident evil.

Even if you read it like this, Capcom already released SF5, we know that it's very likely RE7 is in development, what else can they describe like that?

KingBroly

Banned
Do you question the fact that the sequel to their best selling series, the sequel to their two best selling games they have ever made, is currently in development?

I question them being put out in such short order during a period where Capcom's management is being called into question, and there's a major possibility of this 'RE offensive' over-exposing the franchise and causing SEVERE franchise fatigue.

Abriael

Banned
Even if you read it like this, Capcom already released SF5, we know that it's very likely RE7 is in development, what else can they describe like that?

That's the only way it can be read, since there's a comma in between and not a period.

It could be anything and everything. Simple fact is that this snippet does not hint to anything resident evil-related. Reading it as such is mere speculation.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's the only way it can be read, since there's a comma in between and not a period.

It could be anything and everything. Simple fact is that this snippet does not hint to anything resident evil-related. Reading it as such is mere speculation.

This.

Gurish

I question them being put out in such short order during a period where Capcom's management is being called into question, and there's a major possibility of this 'RE offensive' over-exposing the franchise and causing SEVERE franchise fatigue.

Franchise fatigue? I think that for the general public RE has been dead or in a coma for years, they don't perceive all those remasters and even REV2 as true entries in the series, no one really care about those.

RE7 will feel fresh as ever if it's done right.

It's a VERY reasonable speculation than.

Hellraider

Things aren't any different compared to when RE6 got announced and released. Mercenaries, Revelations,Operation Raccoon City and finally RE6 with only months between them. They probably think it worked just fine with 6 so might as well repeat the process.

While this would probably be financial suicide, I would welcome a return to the PS2 Capcom glory days. Gimme that DMC5, son.

Abriael

Banned
It's a VERY reasonable speculation than.

There's nothing reasonable in speculating that a major game that hasn't even been announced will release within 7 months.

Even more so based on a snippet of text that doesn't make any mention of it whatsoever, from a company that has a gazillion of potential IPs that could fit that mention.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
While this would probably be financial suicide, I would welcome a return to the PS2 Capcom glory days. Gimme that DMC5, son.

I don't know if I would go that far, the majority of their sales would be on PS4 anyway. Though they would be stupid not to release anything on XB1.

I have zero confidence in Capcom to make a great RE7, I hope I am wrong.

Revelations 2 was a step in the right direction, the only problem I see is if they still want that Call of Duty money when it comes to the AAA Resident Evil games.
I'm more worried about Remake 2 to be honest.

Varth

I can see them getting platform holders to co-finance SFV style specific projects in exchange for some level of exclusivity. After all they got plenty of dream projects and IP to lure them into trying to grab a piece of that sweet "for the players" public (EG: Dino Crisis). Just not only on PS4.

Top Bottom