• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Matll

Cyport said:
Putting mp3's in the DCIM folder will let you play them in the sound application. Visualizations are pretty neat, you'll have to check them out. You can also apply effects to your music.

It doesn't matter where you put the mp3s. I'm currently listening to music that's in the root of the sd-card but you are right about the visualizations. They are really nice.

itxaka

Defeatist
Just got mine about 4 hours ago with PW and SSF4.

First the 3DS looks really cool. Nothing to do with the first DS model lol

Second the 3D is awesome!

Third, SSF4 is pretty good, looks good, plays good, 3D is really well done, especially when finishing a combat.

Fourth, PW is AWESOME. As fun as the old one albeit a bit easy.

Fifth, AR is pretty good. Already unlocked all the minigames (had to cheat to get all the coins :p) and I can't remember the last time I had this fun playing a game (Actually, since Just Cause 2). Great use of simple mechanics. Wish it was longer :(

addyb

Has anyone picked up a carry case for there 3DS? I was looking at the executive case but it says it only has room for 2 game cartridges. I notice the official Nintendo magazine has one free in this months issue. Anyone got this?

addyb said:
I notice the official Nintendo magazine has one free in this months issue. Anyone got this?
its just a small cheap case, havent actually been able to find where i put it since i got my 3ds, nothing special but ok for a free gift

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Ok, so I'm caving in and buying one of these bad boys tomorrow. Currently torn between Pilotwings, Street Fighter and Ridge Racer as the one game I can afford. :p

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I want to go pick this up tomorrow so fucking bad but i really don't know what game i want.

All i know is i definitely don't want SSFIV, at least not right now, i want something new. Pilotwings looks damn good, not really sure i fancy ridge racer.

I've heard very little about Monkey Ball and Rayman, did anyone here pick either up?

McNum

I thought this thing was supposed to have a weak battery life? In DS mode it's not that bad at all. Was playing Pokémon HeartGold on it today and it looked pretty good, but more importantly, after a couple of hours, the battery indicator was still 3/4 full. I'm running it on brightness level 4.

syoaran

McNum said:
I thought this thing was supposed to have a weak battery life? In DS mode it's not that bad at all. Was playing Pokémon HeartGold on it today and it looked pretty good, but more importantly, after a couple of hours, the battery indicator was still 3/4 full. I'm running it on brightness level 4.

Yeah, I've just started to play Black and Okamiden and I don't really have battery issues on 4-5hrs of play, still at 50%. And thats with spotpass picking up a few friends on the way.

I read a few pages back that people were having headaches, and actually if I'm honest -I did have some crushing mental pain when I first started to use the device. I'll admit, I was very tired - but it did take me a good hour or so to get used to the system, and more importantly - about 10-20mins to find the sweet spot for each game on the slider. Not so much a complaint as it is worth noting.

Anyway, loving RR in 3d. 1st person view plus 70% on the slider just looks amazing. PW is a strange one, I still can't find the sweet spot at all. I can easily make the Mii look fantastic in 3D with 20% on the slider, but at 50%+ I'm practically going cross eyed in the game. Advice?

taku

2i7tutw.jpg

BLARGH! Does this mean I have to get it replaced? How about all my saves? How about my friend code? Damn it!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
taku said:
2i7tutw.jpg

BLARGH! Does this mean I have to get it replaced? How about all my saves? How about my friend code? Damn it!

did this occur during super monkey ball? a few people who've had it all said it was monkeyballed

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
McNum said:
3DS games have a 3-4 hour life, with DS games running 6-8 IIRC.

Xater

Did the 3Ds actually get sold out anywhere in Europe? Here in germany there are plenty and you can still easily order one easily from Amazon.

addyb

Cindres said:
I want to go pick this up tomorrow so fucking bad but i really don't know what game i want.

All i know is i definitely don't want SSFIV, at least not right now, i want something new. Pilotwings looks damn good, not really sure i fancy ridge racer.

I've heard very little about Monkey Ball and Rayman, did anyone here pick either up?

I was torn as well before I got mine. I ended up buying 4 launch titles! Lol
Pilot wings, pes, SSF4 and RR.

Pilot wings shows off the 3D the best but it's fairly short so not much longevity. It is fun though. I picked up SSF4 as it's the only online title and it's superb online.
I'm not a massive RR fan but again it's good fun once you get past the first few sets of races and I'm a big pes fan anyway and I think the 3DS version is great. Wish it was online though!

Ashler

taku said:
2i7tutw.jpg

I had the same issue sometimes (maybe 3 times?) when trying to play SSF4 on-line. I suspect this was due to the low wireless signal I got from my router (that is in another floor in my house) as it stopped occurring when I moved closer to it.

Cindres

addyb said:
I was torn as well before I got mine. I ended up buying 4 launch titles! Lol
Pilot wings, pes, SSF4 and RR.

Pilot wings shows off the 3D the best but it's fairly short so not much longevity. It is fun though. I picked up SSF4 as it's the only online title and it's superb online.
I'm not a massive RR fan but again it's good fun once you get past the first few sets of races and I'm a big pes fan anyway and I think the 3DS version is great. Wish it was online though!
Is pilotwings not replayable? Like getting the high rankings and whatever?

Zomba13

Ashler said:
I had the same issue sometimes (maybe 3 times?) when trying to play SSF4 on-line. I suspect this was due to the low wireless signal I got from my router (that is in another floor in my house) as it stopped occurring when I moved closer to it.
Same, happened to me last night after a match cut off. was stuck on the connection lost box for a while then that showed up.

Ashler

Zomba13 said:
Same, happened to me last night after a match cut off. was stuck on the connection lost box for a while then that showed up.

Yep. Looked like it was looping for a while until it got into a system panic. Hopefully it's just a loophole that can be fixed with a few lines of code in a game/firmware upgrade patch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
addyb said:
I notice the official Nintendo magazine has one free in this months issue. Anyone got this?
Not that great. Leave a lot of room around the 3DS and there is no tension in the zip so closing it is a nuisance. The sock they gave away months a go if much better. Shame the headphone port being in the middle gets in the way a bit.

bitoriginal

Xater said:
Did the 3Ds actually get sold out anywhere in Europe? Here in germany there are plenty and you can still easily order one easily from Amazon.

Loads available in England as far as I'm aware. Every shop I've asked has plenty in stock, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about not being able to obtain one.

taku

HolyCheck said:
did this occur during super monkey ball? a few people who've had it all said it was monkeyballed
Ashler said:
Ashler said:
Yep. Looked like it was looping for a while until it got into a system panic. Hopefully it's just a loophole that can be fixed with a few lines of code in a game/firmware upgrade patch.
Just to clarify things.. This happened when I was playing Ghost Recon.

So there seems to be a number of people who have experienced this error at least once?

addyb

Cindres said:
Is pilotwings not replayable? Like getting the high rankings and whatever?

It is replayable in terms of high scores etc yes. Don't get me wrong it's not super short just shorter than the other games ive got. Takes around 4 hours to complete pilot wings, add another couple on if you wanted to finish off certain races getting top grades etc.

It is fun though!

qwerty2k

Think Nintendos cleverest trick with the 3ds is the pedometer and rewarding coins for however many steps you do. i find myself now making sure i have my 3ds on me wherever i go so i can get some coins to fully unlock all the AR games (i don't want to cheat it)

dock

pilotwingsscore.jpg

Pilotwings Resort really comes into its element when you push yourself for high-scores. Also, I could have sworn some of the press coverage said there were only 3 vehicles, which is untrue.

itxaka

Defeatist
So what are actually the coins for apart of the AR games?

And when is the 3ds shop gonna be available? It really sucks not being able to download a demo or videos or such on a console in 2011 :(

Zomba13

Any SSFIV players want to try a few game? I've been getting horrible luck connecting to people.
FC is 5155-2898-0702

dock

itxaka said:
You use them to play the RPG in Mii Plaza. It's been confirmed that developers will be able to offer content that uses the coins in the future, however, so we'll see unlockables in retail games.

3DSware is coming in May, along with the web browser.

itxaka

Defeatist
dock said:
You use them to play the RPG in Mii Plaza. It's been confirmed that developers will be able to offer content that uses the coins in the future, however, so we'll see unlockables in retail games.

RPG...in Miii Plaza...?

*Runs to the 3DS

MNC

Phife Dawg said:
No problems, I have my German 3DS switched to English.
Its even EU001 or whatever, right?

Edit: Oh man another system error thing? Hope we can get an official response to that soon.

meppi

dock said:
Also, I could have sworn some of the press coverage said there were only 3 vehicles, which is untrue.
Well it is true...when you base your review on 10 minutes with the game or on watching a youtube trailer of it. ;P

GJS

chubigans said:
3DS games have a 3-4 hour life, with DS games running 6-8 IIRC.
Have there been any in depth looks at the battery life?

Just got done playing online against a friend in street fighter, we fought for 3 hours straight and when we finished my battery life was 2/4 bars.
This is with 3D off, Power saving on and brightness at level 3.

Cyport said:
Putting mp3's in the DCIM folder will let you play them in the sound application. Visualizations are pretty neat, you'll have to check them out. You can also apply effects to your music.
You can actually put them outside the DCIM folder (to keep things organised).

addyb said:
Has anyone picked up a carry case for there 3DS? I was looking at the executive case but it says it only has room for 2 game cartridges. I notice the official Nintendo magazine has one free in this months issue. Anyone got this?
Looking for a case as well, but want one which still gives me access to the headphone jack - so far no luck. GAF any advice?

MNC said:
Its even EU001 or whatever, right?

Edit: Oh man another system error thing? Hope we can get an official response to that soon.
Is that the SN? It's in the cradle right now, can check later.

Rich!

Pancakes R Us said:
Are the PAL 3DS games cases as thick as the original DS game cases? I always hated them and ended up buying US games because of this.

Half the thickness - exactly the same as a UK DVD case.

chooch81

dock said:

SSFIV uses the coins already. You can use them to buy a go on figurine roulette.

Xater

bitoriginal said:
Loads available in England as far as I'm aware. Every shop I've asked has plenty in stock, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about not being able to obtain one.

Yeah it really seems that Nintendo has put out huge quantities for the launch. I actually think that's great. No launch hassle with lines or scalpers, just a pleasant experience.

jump_button said:
Hyperkin's 3DS Rechargeable Battery Pack 20hour? too good to be ture? make me think why didnt big N use it

Even if I would get 10 hours out of it I would be happy. I will wait for reviews for something like this though.

jwluther

itxaka said:

And when is the 3ds shop gonna be available? It really sucks not being able to download a demo or videos or such on a console in 2011 :(

Edit: I completely misread your post. :/

itxaka

Defeatist
chooch81 said:
SSFIV uses the coins already. You can use them to buy a go on figurine roulette.

Ahhh so that is the thingie to bp-whatever thing in the menu? Too much shit on the figurine menus, too much different currencies on this game :D

GJS

test_account said:
It doesnt say if it is upto 20 hours for 3DS games though, it could be for regular DS games. But that said, i dont doubt that this battery can last longer than the original 3DS battery.
It's exactly the same battery as the official Nintendo battery though, 3.7V 1300mAh.

It's also likely to actually be worse then the official one, seeing as it's an after-market battery and they usually overrate the capacity.

test_account

XP-39C²
GJS said:
It's exactly the same battery as the official Nintendo battery though, 3.7V 1300mAh.

It's also likely to actually be worse then the official one, seeing as it's an after-market battery and they usually overrate the capacity.
Ok, i see. I also just noticed that the battery itself and the description says 1300mAh, but the box says 1800mAh :)

Cyport said:

Holy shit, you're right, this is the best built in console music player ever.
Previous best being the Saturn.

Wacky playback filters (radio, echo, chiptune, vocal remover), a range of pretty good visualisers (nothing to compare with the PS3s earth visualiser, but still) and a game and watch style football game visualiser you can play while you listen to music, as well as a wireframe rez / starfox style flying thing where you can just shoot shit.

Plus completely pointless SFX playback options so you can add your own drumtracks and shit to anything you're playing.

Fuck yeah.

Cindres

Oh yes, i can definitely afford this thing.

My mum's gonna hate this, my dad's gonna be jealous. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Top Bottom