• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Import video game shops - New York City?

I apologize to the Mods if this is in the wrong forum; but I felt like it applied to gaming...

Anyway, I'm going to New York City next week for a few days, and I'm looking for some good import video game/toy collectors shops to scope out. The only one I know of is Videogames, Inc. (?) I believe it's called. So, for all the NYC GAF'rs out there, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, be prepared to pay extra at VGNY for imports (Demon's Souls was $75 I believe).

I usually just go there for early releases. In fact, I'm going there in a few for Ghostbusters. lol

Dizzle24

J&L Game Trading Inc.
28 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10013

Haven't been here either, but I've heard about this place a few times.

Davidion

VGNY is all I can think of. They definitely have an extensive collection. As mentioned, they certainly extend little discounts.

That's the one, VIDEOGAMESNEWYORK - I remember hearing about J&L as well. I'm pretty sure of this but thought I would ask anyway; NCSx doesn't have an actual shop, right?

Other than that, thank you guys for the help. I will DEFINITELY check these places out, considering I've got some extra money to spare!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
You're right, NCS does not have a physical shop.

Videogames NY and J&L are both terribly overpriced, although they do stock a lot. Down the road on Elizabeth St., there's another game store in an underground plaza. They're much smaller but their game prices are a bit more reasonable than J&L.

Dizzle24 said:
J&L Game Trading Inc.
28 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10013

Chinatown right?

There is a little mall there with I think 2 different places that sell import. I got my dreamcast modded to play imports there back in the day to play 2D imports.

Oneself

Dizzle24 said:
J&L Game Trading Inc.
28 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10013

Pretty nice place, lots of rare and great games.

Revolutionary said:
Yeah, be prepared to pay extra at VGNY for imports (Demon's Souls was $75 I believe).

I usually just go there for early releases. In fact, I'm going there in a few for Ghostbusters. lol

Can't they get in trouble or fined for breaking street dates?

damn, both of my favorite places were posted already

There's also another one in the basement of the Elizabeth Center Mall across the street from J&L.

...And then stop at Chinatown Ice Cream Factory

Jack Random said:

There's also another one in the basement of the Elizabeth Center Mall across the street from J&L.

Shit yeah! This times a thousand.

surazal

Jack Random said:

Penguin Village
13 Elizabeth St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 219-3768‎

You have to go inside and downstairs. Don't go in the morning since they aren't open until after lunch I thik.

surazal said:
Penguin Village
13 Elizabeth St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 219-3768‎

You have to go inside and downstairs. Don't go in the morning since they aren't open until after lunch I thik.
they changed their name back?
it's been so many things i cant even keep track.
Initial D, EVO, other stuff i can't remember...

mattso

_dementia said:
Can't they get in trouble or fined for breaking street dates?
I think they're way too under the radar for anyone to care.

It's not like a chain across the country breaking date

I've gotten quite a few titles there sometimes a good week before street date.

Now that I'm out of the city I'm gonna miss that place.

Ramune

Jack Random said:

HA! That's exactly what me and some friends do after shopping there or J&L. :lol

Yes thank you for the updates - leaving tomorrow and though the weather is supposed to be crappy I'm going to make sure I visit these shops. Especially J&L which seems to be getting the nods.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
shagg_187 said:
Since you are going to NYC, don't hesitate to bump into Uniqlo and Audiocubes for other variety of stuff.

I believe the SoHo Uniqlo store has a pacman tourney tomorrow.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Shadow780 said:
What's a good place to get import goodies (models, action figures, soundtracks, etc) in NYC?

I think there's one or two model/toy places in the same underground mall as Penguin Village in Chinatown. A lot of other stuff in the area is, of course, bootlegged. I'd recommend checking out Kinokuniya Books, which is right by Bryant Park around 42nd St. A block or two away from there is Book Off, which has tons of used books, and some import video games and CDs. The selection isn't big, but the prices are occasionally good. I remember seeing some toys on the second floor, though they were mostly models from dating sims.

Also, Toy Tokyo is worth checking out. I can't remember the address, but it's right around the corner from Videogames NY. Forbidden Planet, around Union Square, is a nice comic book shop with lots of import figures too.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't make threads yet, so I just wanted to use this one to ask a somewhat unrelated question:

Are there any thrift stores in the city that have a large supply of boxed/cased PC games? I always hear about people picking up classic PC games from thrift stores, but I've been to many Housing Works outlets, Goodwill, and Salvation Army, and none of them have ever really had any games, period. Maybe I went to the wrong ones, though.

Top Bottom