• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed Graph-Age: U.S. monthly Handheld Sales (June/01 ~ August/06)

Just spent the past couple hours working on this:
(Scroll to the right to see teh rest :D)
hhmosales01806sk6.png

I don't think any gaffers hav seen a U.S. HH sales graph expanding over the past five years... so I decided to make one.
The HW sales lines hav along with them major influential SW release notices plus new HW colors, price drops, etc.

LTD:
GBC - 17.05m
GBA ~ 13.73m
SP & micro - 18.34m
*GBA/SP/micro = 32.07m*
NDS - 5.837m
PSP - 5.022m
N-Gage ~ 60k (keep in mind- many were sold outside gaming stores thus are untrackable by NPD)

Discuss...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pureauthor said:
Nice.

But did you really have to put 'third pillar' under the DS launch? :lol
It makes GBA sales more apparaent after DS launch. I still can't believe it's selling so well.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
pretty interesting, seems that the presence of DS in the US has largely just eaten into a portion of the GBA sales...with Nintendo hitting about the same overall numbers with DS + GBA as GBA did on its own before DS.

Looks like PSP has been ahead of DS for most of its life... albeit both are very close.

But now the DS Lite has pulled a big lead. Though, the DS Lite bump is on a decline. Do you think we'll see PSP and DS back where they were 2 months ago, or will DS pull ahead for good now?

Also, its odd that new DS hardware alone was able to spark this lead. There hasn't been a notable DS game since May. Meanwhile, PSP had a major release in July, and a couple good ones in August.

AniHawk

sugarhigh4242 said:
Looks like PSP has been ahead of DS for most of its life... albeit both are very close.

But now the DS Lite has pulled a big lead. Though, the DS Lite bump is on a decline. Do you think we'll see PSP and DS back where they were 2 months ago, or will DS pull ahead for good now?

Also, its odd that new DS hardware alone was able to spark this lead. There hasn't been a notable DS game since May. Meanwhile, PSP had a major release in July, and a couple good ones in August.

August is usually a slow month (so is July, IIRC). September sales will be up (or steady) for DS Lite due to new colors + Pokemon Dungeon crap. Then once October hits, the normal holiday rush will take care of the rest.

Can anyone explain the low GBA December 2005 sales after a great November?
There wasn't a shortage (I easily bought a GBA Bright a few days after X-mas).
Seems unusual to me, GBA in January should hav taken a larger fall following those lower December sales but they remained high up to this day...

donny2112

Smiles and Cries said:
we need a US chart with PSP and DS sales only...

See page 11 of the August NPD thread.

Square2005 said:
Can anyone explain the low GBA December 2005 sales after a great November?

I was surprised by that when the numbers came out, as I was expecting the normal huge boost for December. The only thing I can figure is that the other two handhelds selling > 1 million finally made a dent.

medrew

sugarhigh4242 said:
Though, the DS Lite bump is on a decline. Do you think we'll see PSP and DS back where they were 2 months ago, or will DS pull ahead for good now?

Just look at the graph. Previous years have shown bumps over summer and then declining hardware until October. It's far too early to tell the DSL's fate, although we all know which outcome you are rooting for.

Top Bottom