• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Orayn

Grayman said:
Does GW2 still have secondary classes?

I haven't read enough to fully understand the skill changes from game to game.
It's all in the OP, but the skill/attribute system has undergone a massiver overhaul, which included the removal of secondary professions. Don't worry, though. Each class has a large number of equippable passive abilities called traits, and the playstyle will vary wildly based on the weapons you equip, so there should be enough variety to satisfy anyone's build-lust.

Grayman

Babalu. said:
awesome thread. Can't wait for this game!

Exactly. They seem to have been hearing and playing everything out there to get that people are ready for the next step in MMO evolution. If everything lives up to it, this will be the next 10 million+ MMO.
I don't think 10 million + is going to happen but then again it has no subscription fee and GW did 5 million as a non mmo.

Can someone explain to me why the hell these plants have sex characteristics?! What are they hiding? Stamen and pistil? And what with breasts? Too much questions, too little answers.

Jira

Rad- said:
Great OP. Now the only thing they need confirm is how well it runs on slightly older machines. That was one of the best parts of GW1, it ran beautifully even on crappy PCs.

Good news, at comic-con Colin Johanson was asked about specs and he laughed and said that they have the game running on video cards so old that they have to get them on special order. So looking at newegg that means the GPUs they're using to run the game is from 2002/2003. I've even seen ANet say that they don't even use top of the line PCs when developing, they say their hardware is pretty crappy. So that should give you high hopes for running it on whatever you want.

Jira

Grayman said:
I don't think 10 million + is going to happen but then again it has no subscription fee and GW did 5 million as a non mmo.

GW is at over 7 million now. I believe it even obtained over 1 million more in the past year. If GW1 can hit 7 million in 6 years with the stigma it has, GW2 will shatter those numbers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The_Player said:
Can someone explain to me why the hell these plants have sex characteristics?! What are they hiding? Stamen and pistil? And what with breasts? Too much questions, too little answers.
It's just a game, man. Just a game! Let it go let it flow

Good thread OP: I couldn't find any info in the OP about;

Collector Editions,
Soundtrack,
Open and Closed Beta,

Maybe things that could be added in?

The_Player said:

On the website it mentions that Sylvari in essence are true trees... however, they took the "image" of humans since they were the ones that made first contact with them, and thus they got a homo sapiens-like appereance.

There is a good explanation on the blog site.

Kosma

Banned
Is there anything known about system requirements?

I remember the original GW was known for offering great visuals that ran on all types of hardware.

Jira

Well all we know is that there will be a Collector's Edition. I'm going to go ahead and say yes there will be a soundtrack in it. I'll go ahead and add something about the beta/release in my bottom post.

Jira

Kosma said:
Is there anything known about system requirements?

I remember the original GW was known for offering great visuals that ran on all types of hardware.

Good news, at comic-con Colin Johanson was asked about specs and he laughed and said that they have the game running on video cards so old that they have to get them on special order. So looking at newegg that means the GPUs they're using to run the game are from 2002/2003. I've even seen ANet say that they don't even use top of the line PCs when developing, they say their hardware is pretty crappy. So that should give you high hopes for running it on whatever you want.

Rad-

Jira said:
Good news, at comic-con Colin Johanson was asked about specs and he laughed and said that they have the game running on video cards so old that they have to get them on special order. So looking at newegg that means the GPUs they're using to run the game is from 2002/2003. I've even seen ANet say that they don't even use top of the line PCs when developing, they say their hardware is pretty crappy. So that should give you high hopes for running it on whatever you want.

Amazing. I can run this on my laptop then I bet (T4400 dual core, 4650 radeon, 4 gigs of memory). I don't even mind if it's just low-medium level, as long as I can get a smooth PVP experience.

Rad- said:
Amazing. I can run this on my laptop then I bet (T4400 dual core, 4650 radeon, 4 gigs of memory). I don't even mind if it's just low-medium level, as long as I can get a smooth PVP experience.

If you look at the in-game shots you can clearly see that everything is fairly low poly. Hair, textures, and models in general is very rough looking. Perhaps 2007-2008ish looking. Much less visual flair than say Age of Conan(2008).

But that's the great thing - GW2 still looks amazing due to amazing art design, and a fluid and robust animation system. It has the nicest melee combat I have seen in an RPG... for well... ever.

GW1 was a game that was more dependant on CPU power than the GPU. It had something to do with their graphics technology - Basically all animations/textures/skins, was on the players side and apparently didn't have to be rendered. Behind it was just boxes and squares and circle shapes in the world.
Since it was only these monotone things being sent from the servers to players(packages sent) it allowed for very little lag: http://pc.ign.com/articles/534/534454p1.html

This streaming technology was revolutionary. It allowed;

- Anet to launch GW on the same day in Asia(Korea), US and Europe without any server hitches

- To have one shared realm. It means that it's one gigantic server that has mini servers pop up so no overcrowding or lag would come in the games more than 100 player persistent outposts/towns (social hubs, trade etc). it means that there were no two people called vigilant walrus. it meant that the koreans didnt have some obscure alternative version of the game. no they were in the same realm, pitted against the other continents for control in pvp grudges.

- To patch the game without taking the game offline. On a WoW patch day(once a week) the game is unavailable for play for 5-6 hours). They could do bug fixes, and balancing while you were playing the game.
Furthermore once your account had absorbed your cd-key that came with the game, you could install the game from the website with a streaming client - a couple of hundred kb of data, streaming into a 32 mb client - and then as you played the game, the game would just download the rest of the game as you played. amazing.

Here is a fantastic Greg Kasavin old school Gamespot review of the original Guild Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVers2hny44

This game is f**king awesome and it will pwn your asshole if you solo, and if you group in hard mode. It's actually a really challenge and it asks something of players unlike most RPGs. It's emphasis is on other things.

buy and play this game. going through the three campaigns and EOTN can easily take you many many many hundreds of hours, simply on collecting the skills.

Jira

I LOVE that GW1 is actually challenging, it requires you to pay attention at all times and you can never be complacent. It's honestly one of the VERY few games that I can say is truly challenging and requires real tactics and forethought. So nice to play a game that isn't afraid to kill you in seconds and isn't dumbed down for the masses.

PewPewK

The_Player said:
Can someone explain to me why the hell these plants have sex characteristics?! What are they hiding? Stamen and pistil? And what with breasts? Too much questions, too little answers. [/URL]

For essentially the reasons already stated, but I want to add this:

One reason is simply because there was a large number of people who wanted the Slyvari to be very elf-like in nature. Elf-like would entail being similar to a human in characteristics. What they tried to do in this redesign was "marry" the two ideas of an elf-like creature with that of an ent-like creature to make some middle ground that both camps can enjoy. Having sexual organs allows those who wanted the Slyvari to be a beautiful and elegant elf-like race to be happy.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Good thread OP: I couldn't find any info in the OP about;

Collector Editions,
Soundtrack,
Open and Closed Beta,

Maybe things that could be added in?

I would say that's because we don't really know anything about them. Unless you're saying we should add in that we don't know anything about them. In which case, I guess your statement stills stands.

But if it's the other case, lemme answer with what has been confirmed about those:

With the Collector's Edition, we know there will be one. Nothing else has been confirmed.
The soundtrack is composed by Jeremy Soule. ArenaNet has always released their soundtracks before, so I'm pretty sure this one will get a release as well. Pricing/where to buy has not been announced. Some of the tracks are already available on YouTube, though I'm not sure where they come from and if they're more along the lines of samples than full tracks.
As for the Open/Closed Beta, we know that a closed beta will begin sometime in 2011. As for an Open Beta, it hasn't been confirmed that there will be one yet. All subsequent betas after the first closed beta is subject to the feedback received.

Instro

Jira said:
I LOVE that GW1 is actually challenging, it requires you to pay attention at all times and you can never be complacent. It's honestly one of the VERY few games that I can say is truly challenging and requires real tactics and forethought. So nice to play a game that isn't afraid to kill you in seconds and isn't dumbed down for the masses.
For sure, there were quite a few extremely tough areas throughout the games particularly some of the later missions in Prophecies(I'm looking at you Thunderhead Keep!)

Grayman

Ok read the OP wow that is a lot of stuff. It sounds like the weapon choices that i was not a fan of initially are going to add a huge amount of depth because they work a little different for each class.

The story stuff is interesting but may be adding too much persistence to a game that goes forever.

I was not thinking about getting this game because I was so burnt out on the first one but this thread has turned it around somewhat. The ability to solo is big for me. The last time I got big into GW I was having a lot of fun solo ing as an A/Ele using shadow step and some armor skills then poisoning and running away. Whenever I started having lots of fun late to the party Arenanet nerfed it and moved the next most broken shit to a campaign i didn't own.

I am not a fan of 80 levels and health/energy levels in the thousands though, pointless complication and decimal adding. Not having that stuff is something the first game did well.

Instro said:
For sure, there were quite a few extremely tough areas throughout the games particularly some of the later missions in Prophecies(I'm looking at you Thunderhead Keep!)
Ah THK the next hellish beef gate after the big lame desert.

Jira

Bossman said:
I just hope that there won't be too many microtransactions.

I have a small section about what I think will be in for MTs and if GW1 is any indication I'd say ANet has handled them better than any other developer. I've not once felt the need to purchase anything outside of campaings/expansions. They won't be like cash shops in Korean MMOs, everything will be cosmetic or account based stuff like more character slots. You won't have to worry about getting nickle & dimed. ANet's stance is the entire game is in the box when you buy it (expansions aside). They feel that if you don't get all of the content right when you buy it then they won't make it.

hiro4

Nice topic!
As a long time GW player I really can't wait to play the game.

Are the system requirements already known btw?

Jira

hiro4 said:
Nice topic!
As a long time GW player I really can't wait to play the game.

Are the system requirements already known btw?

speedpop

When I first heard about there being no dedicated healer class, I must admit that I sank a little. The healer/support class has always been my #1 go to, but the article they released about their reasons why they dismissed it really hit the notes. Having to pay attention to bars that fluctuate is not that exciting, and the fact that I can still be a strong support role is something that really makes me happy because on the face of it support roles have a higher concentration on playing situational. It also makes PVP much more enjoyable, both as a healer and as a non-healer; you don't have to worry about killing/being the most important target.

Overall I'm really looking forward to it and I'm excited about the prospects of RP because at face value it seems that they are taking RP opportunities seriously. I'm one of those nerds who loves to pretend I am in-character :p

Jira

I've seen a lot of people who are wary of not having any defined roles since there has been roles ever since the dawn of D&D. Though for a video game it will be so refreshing to play an RPG where it's more like an action game where you're actually playing the game rather than watching your bars. A friend brought up a good point the other day, he said won't the fact that everyone having to be self-sufficient make it so there's a large barrier of entry? I gave it some thought and he is right, people are going to have a hell of a time with GW2, well the ones that can't move out of the fire. I've seen footage of people getting mauled in about 3 shots because they're simply not paying attention, not moving, simply playing whack-a-mole and they're getting crushed because of it. Hell, ANet has said repeatedly that when they have GW2 in demo form at shows the difficulty is toned down so people can actually play for the first time without getting creamed. Overall I really like the idea of each person being in charge of themselves, nothing pisses me off more than to die because of someone else's mistakes.

I do think people will have the most trouble grasping the concept of being able to cast any spell while moving and just moving in general. People aren't used to being able to actively dodge and block attacks in MMOs, so I think people are going to be dying left and right at the start. Either they'll adapt or write off the game similarly to how GW1 was written off by some because you couldn't jump and it wasn't persistent. Oh well, their loss.

Grayman

Jira said:
I've seen a lot of people who are wary of not having any defined roles since there has been roles ever since the dawn of D&D. Though for a video game it will be so refreshing to play an RPG where it's more like an action game where you're actually playing the game rather than watching your bars. A friend brought up a good point the other day, he said won't the fact that everyone having to be self-sufficient make it so there's a large barrier of entry? I gave it some thought and he is right, people are going to have a hell of a time with GW2, well the ones that can't move out of the fire. I've seen footage of people getting mauled in about 3 shots because they're simply not paying attention, not moving, simply playing whack-a-mole and they're getting crushed because of it. Hell, ANet has said repeatedly that when they have GW2 in demo form at shows the difficulty is toned down so people can actually play for the first time without getting creamed. Overall I really like the idea of each person being in charge of themselves, nothing pisses me off more than to die because of someone else's mistakes.

I do think people will have the most trouble grasping the concept of being able to cast any spell while moving and just moving in general. People aren't used to being able to actively dodge and block attacks in MMOs, so I think people are going to be dying left and right at the start. Either they'll adapt or write off the game similarly to how GW1 was written off by some because you couldn't jump and it wasn't persistent. Oh well, their loss.
Asheron's Call was extremely fun without strictly following the trinity. The game progressed to a point early on where everyone trained the skills to fully buff and characters with low strength had enough to wear full armor. Everyone could self heal. There were times when a healer role was needed or a few offensive support spells but for most of the time everyone was a damage dealer and their own healer(while watching other peoples bars for big trouble). The barrier to entry stayed low though because more players could always be thrown at a scenario and melee/arrow damage in pve was nullified for most areas in the game for most of its progression over the patches.

On the flip side players who were good at pvp and had good equipment could destroy most of the high end pve content in the game even with few numbers.

The game provided a lot of easy content if a player was at the right level though. A bot could play with 80-90% efficiency of a live player in areas that monsters flooded into. Mixing that at or below level easiness with grouping and the game was approachable by anyone.

Stuart444

Fantastic op, I know all this but all the pics and info.... it just makes me even more hype now >_<

Can't wait til Gamescom for more info and then roll on Eurogamer. Where I'll get my first hands on of this game :D

Seda said:
I LOVED Guild Wars 1. I put over 3000 hours into it.

And for that reason, I am not getting Guild Wars 2. So much time that could be used to play other games.

This is the reason am getting it, the money I save playing GW2 and forgetting other video games will be A LOT.

speedpop said:
When I first heard about there being no dedicated healer class, I must admit that I sank a little. The healer/support class has always been my #1 go to, but the article they released about their reasons why they dismissed it really hit the notes. Having to pay attention to bars that fluctuate is not that exciting, and the fact that I can still be a strong support role is something that really makes me happy because on the face of it support roles have a higher concentration on playing situational. It also makes PVP much more enjoyable, both as a healer and as a non-healer; you don't have to worry about killing/being the most important target.

Overall I'm really looking forward to it and I'm excited about the prospects of RP because at face value it seems that they are taking RP opportunities seriously. I'm one of those nerds who loves to pretend I am in-character :p

More importantly, you can finally play with your friends again.

It doesn't matter if we're 30 levels apart. With sidekicking and downscaling, we can play together no matter what. It's so refreshing that they are going in and saying: "fuck your stigma about a 300 hour waste of life grind. go fuck yourself and cheat yourself to the end if thats what you want"!

It's ingenius really. the incentive to level is still there, as being sidekicked temporarily wont give new skills or new equipment.. it will just temp boost damage/health so the player will not get one shotted in a higher level area.

I havent played MMO with real life friends for many years due to this problem with levelling seperation.

02pheland

Neo Member
seeing how much of it they already have up and running for the game its driving me a bit insane that ill have to wait months to finally get to play it, defiantly something ill buy day 1 and hopefully not want to stop playing for a long time

That dynamic event thing sounds like a clusterfuck in the making. I can't wait to be pissed off everyday hoping for that one event your failed to spawn again. I'll wait for impressions and probably a price drop before considering this.

Complistic

The_Player said:

They're plants that mimic humans basically. So them having all the sex characteristics makes sense.

Cow Mengde said:
That dynamic event thing sounds like a clusterfuck in the making. I can't wait to be pissed off everyday hoping for that one event your failed to spawn again. I'll wait for impressions and probably a price drop before considering this.

Why would you wait for one particular event? DE rewards are karma and gold, not unique weapons that drop only for that one particular event. It would be stupid to wait in one spot, while there are twenty other events going on around you.

Complistic said:
Why would you wait for one particular event? DE rewards are karma and gold, not unique weapons that drop only for that one particular event. It would be stupid to wait in one spot, while there are twenty other events going on around you.

I'm not talking about waiting in one spot. No one would be stupid enough to do that. It's turning on the game and hoping today that even will pop up, only for it to not happen. Yeah, you can do other things, but the nagging feeling of not being able to do the other event will be annoying for perfectionists.

Artadius

Forgive me, I'm pretty ignorant on this aspect of Guild Wars.

I played in the original beta of GW and then borrowed a friend's account for a couple of days a while back to try it again. Both times I didn't get very far and lost interest quickly. I just wonder if I didn't give it enough time to capture me.

The game bills itself as an MMO or at least a competitor to games like WoW or LotRO... which is fine and great. However, the biggest difference I found in playing Guild Wars was the lack of loot one finds. Sure you found money quite a bit and bits and pieces of junk here and there that seemed like it could be used in crafting maybe... but I never felt the game did a good job of breadcrumbing me towards using those materials for any real purpose.

When you play WoW or LotRO, you consistently upgrade equipment and gear and it becomes an admittedly addicting way to keep moving forward. I didn't feel like this was the case in the couple of times I played GW. Did I just not give it enough time? Do things change? Is GW2 going to have lots of loot to find?

Maybe its just not a loot game and I should approach it that way. These are honest questions and not some sort of stealth troll or anything. I like what I see, and WANT to like Guild Wars.

speedpop

Vigilant Walrus said:
It doesn't matter if we're 30 levels apart. With sidekicking and downscaling, we can play together no matter what. It's so refreshing that they are going in and saying: "fuck your stigma about a 300 hour waste of life grind. go fuck yourself and cheat yourself to the end if thats what you want"!

It's ingenius really. the incentive to level is still there, as being sidekicked temporarily wont give new skills or new equipment.. it will just temp boost damage/health so the player will not get one shotted in a higher level area.
Yeah this is probably the biggest boost since I play MMOs with my partner and she tends to be a bit slower in leveling by herself, or she'll want to play and I am elsewhere. We tried to start from scratch one time on WoW and we got up to about lvl 30-35 and she got disinterested with the game after too many years and never touched it again. Some people might say that getting to level cap will sort everything out but we enjoyed playing new characters and classes all the time.

She was looking more forward to GW2 than myself but we were both kinda worried about being at different levels during different playtimes and such. Anyway this system seems to drill out every criticism related to that so we're both extremely happy.

Orayn

Artadius said:

I played in the original beta of GW and then borrowed a friend's account for a couple of days a while back to try it again. Both times I didn't get very far and lost interest quickly. I just wonder if I didn't give it enough time to capture me.

The game bills itself as an MMO or at least a competitor to games like WoW or LotRO... which is fine and great. However, the biggest difference I found in playing Guild Wars was the lack of loot one finds. Sure you found money quite a bit and bits and pieces of junk here and there that seemed like it could be used in crafting maybe... but I never felt the game did a good job of breadcrumbing me towards using those materials for any real purpose.

When you play WoW or LotRO, you consistently upgrade equipment and gear and it becomes an admittedly addicting way to keep moving forward. I didn't feel like this was the case in the couple of times I played GW. Did I just not give it enough time? Do things change? Is GW2 going to have lots of loot to find?

Maybe its just not a loot game and I should approach it that way. These are honest questions and not some sort of stealth troll or anything. I like what I see, and WANT to like Guild Wars.
Guild Wars definitely has a different itemization scheme - Generally speaking, you have more incentive to piece together high end gear yourself, rather than loot it. Lots of the equipment you find can be identified, and it'll carry useful things like weapon components and inscriptions that can be removed with an advanced salvage kit. Once those are free, you can attach them to other weapons, so it's much easier to customize. It is, as you said, very different from WoW or LOTRO, but it fits in with the game's short leveling path and the other ways in which it bucks MMO convention.

Keasar

Goddamnit I am converted to actually liking the Sylvari now....

Still going to make an Asura or Charr though.

Jira

Cow Mengde said:

That's really not something you're ever going to sit there and think about. Sure it might piss you off at some point if for whatever reason the event that spawns The Shatterer isn't going on or something like that, but otherwise I don't think I'd ever be worried about whether a certain event is up or not due to the fact that rewards for dynamic events are all universal with the exception of the giant world events.

Aeris130

Big events like the shatterer will have an event chain that is easily triggered whenever you want to fight him (assuming you have to the time to follow the chain).

Jira

Artadius said:

It really isn't a loot heavy game in the sense that you're thinking. This always bothered me for years until the game finally clicked for me. You can take any piece of loot in the game and make it the best piece statistically for your build if you wish, the gear you go after in GW1 is based on what you want to look like, not what stats it has because you can get the best stats on anything. So you go after uniques because they look awesome, not because they have amazing stats. Well, they DO have amazing stats too but they're not exclusive to said item. GW1 is very much about balance, because of this the game comes down to pure skill even in the PvE. GW1 is all about how good you are at strategically building and counter building in PvP and knowing the mobs you're going to fight and how to kill them in each area with only 8 skills to choose from. It's a lot like a card game, limited yes, but more strategic than any RPG on the market. If you're looking for a game that WILL challenge you and make you think, buy it right now.

Jira

Aeris130 said:
Big events like the shatterer will have an event chain that is easily triggered whenever you want to fight him (assuming you have to the time to follow the chain).

It might be possible to reach the same end of an event chain for something like The Shatterer no matter the outcome of each event just so that he actually spawns. We shall see.

Helmholtz

Jira said:
Honestly I'd say it's a lot less challenging now with the introduction of 7 heroes in a party. I pretty much steamrolled every mission normal/hard mode using essentially the same builds every time, same with vanquishing. You do however need to find the right builds. The only places where I ran into trouble were some hard mode dungeons and DoA.

Helmholtz said:
Honestly I'd say it's a lot less challenging now with the introduction of 7 heroes in a party. I pretty much steamrolled every mission normal/hard mode using essentially the same builds every time, same with vanquishing. You do however need to find the right builds. The only places where I ran into trouble were some hard mode dungeons and DoA.

This...

It's very easy today discord, panic mes, and SS Rit= easy mode.

Also there's are build to AFK glints challenge in normal mode to get destroyer cores and cloth of the brotherhood.

BrettWeir

Nemesis121 said:
This...

It's very easy today discord, panic mes, and SS Rit= easy mode.

Also there's are build to AFK glints challenge in normal mode to get destroyer cores and cloth of the brotherhood.
Any links to guides on this? I keep getting owned (war)

Top Bottom