• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Bioshock: Infinite - $29.99 at Newegg. Steam key, comes with a $5 Newegg gift card.

For some downloads, it can take up to 1-3 hours to generate your personalized serial number/unlock code. An email will be sent to you as soon as your download is ready. If you have not received an email with your download link, please check your Order History page. You should see a download link and serial number/unlock code next to the order number.

Big Picture mode just stopped recognizing my 360 controller. Now it says "No xinput device detected". Games still recognize it, as does my PC, but I can't access the steam overlay anymore, either.
People seems to have that issue since yesterday's beta update. So I'm sure they're aware of it and probably fix it till next update.

zkylon

zkylewd
As so it should be given the games overt message - were the game 'fun' or even grow in challenge significantly it would dramatically take away from the narrative through mechanics the game strives for.
anyone that knows me would know I don't have a problem games not being traditionally fun but I get the feeling papo & yo is kind of supposed to be at least entertaining, I mean for the little I played it it's about escapism and imagination but instead I feel it's really non-gameplay in that it's barely more interactive than dear esther, and the way the narrative is set just didn't hook me at all.

there's just a nothingness to what you do, but for some reason you're given double jump and a jetpack and puzzles and platforming but nothing about it is challenging or interesting so I dunno what's that supposed to mean

this is just playing like half an hour of the game, but I was hoping for something that excited me more...

cicero

I only use it if I saw a treasure I know I could get to on my next character, like a faerie chest I'd need a dwarf to reach and oh hey my next character is a dwarf.
This is basically what I am doing now too.

I played a few hours and also deleted my save. First time, I was feeling I shouldn't let Charon take any gold so I'd spend any extras on stuff I didn't need, like MP pool increases. Finally got to the point where I wasn't much stronger but everything was too expensive.

On this save, my first character (no traits or equipment, the first guy right out of the tutorial) managed to accrue close to 2k gold. I focused all my upgrades specifically towards the trait that gives you +10% gold, and spent everything else on gear only. I'm doing a lot better, but I think it's largely in part to having learned the controls better and learning to be more patient.
Still not sure why you deleted your save. How would this be different had you just taken your original character and refocused on getting him gear instead of stats?

Oh, also: the architect charges 30%. You keep 70%.
And eventually this is no longer an issue after you buy some "things".

Volcynika

Anyone have an issue with the "Scanning for Steam game updates" window? Sometimes it comes up and just sits there and I can't do anything. Eventually I can cancel it, but then I have to usually restart Steam to make it work again. This happens randomly when I try to run a game or just install one.

I have a long vacation in these coming months and looking for a good strategy game to really waste my time on. I'm looking at this Endless Space game and it looks quite interesting. Anyone care to give me some impressions please ?

anyone that knows me would know I don't have a problem games not being traditionally fun but I get the feeling papo & yo is kind of supposed to be at least entertaining,

I'm not so sure; I think it's meant to be trying to replicate the emotions of the creative director regarding his childhood [him being very open open how semi-authobiographical the game is]. I can't really see it being meant to be fun in the traditional sense because that doesn't match up with the attempts at narrative. However the game constantly introduces new puzzle mechanics [even if it's something as simple as pushing blocks, and indeed most of the 'new' mechanics are as simple as that] so you're probably right that it was meant to be more engaging than you've found it thus far.

I mean for the little I played it it's about escapism and imagination but instead I feel it's really non-gameplay in that it's barely more interactive than dear esther, and the way the narrative is set just didn't hook me at all.

I think it gives the player a lot more freedom than something like Dear Esther - it's akin to Portal in a lot of ways - it sets up your initial mechanics early on and then just adds small changes to the environment that it forces you to use these mechanics to solve puzzles to advance almost arbitrarily. Of course it's not as difficult as Portal [itself deemed an easy game] because the game tries to express its narrative primarily through gameplay mechanics [and because so few people finish games they didn't want to discourage players of a game aimed at a wider audience than the traditional gaming demographic].

there's just a nothingness to what you do, but for some reason you're given double jump and a jetpack and puzzles and platforming but nothing about it is challenging or interesting so I dunno what's that supposed to mean

this is just playing like half an hour of the game, but I was hoping for something that excited me more...

It's a 2 - 3 hour game that does some clever mechanical things with its metaphor [primarily towards the end] but if you're not feeling the gameplay there's no need to force yourself to play through it, you're not going to get any incredibly revelation, the game is very open about what it's discussing, why and how.

derExperte

Have you met Monster? It becomes more complex with him around but I thought some of the earlier parts were already neat, eg moving the houses around. And if nothing else the music is godly.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not so sure - I think it's meant to be trying to replicate the emotions of the creative director regarding his childhood [him being very open open how semi-authobiographical the game is]. I can't really see it being meant to be fun in the traditional sense because that doesn't match up with the attempts at narrative. However the game constantly introduces new puzzle mechanics [even if it's something as simple as pushing blocks, and indeed most of the 'new' mechanics are as simple as that] so you're probably right that it was meant to be more engaging than you've found it thus far.

I think it gives the player a lot more freedom than something like Dear Esther - it's akin to Portal in a lot of ways - it sets up your initial mechanics early on and then just adds small changes to the environment that it forces you to use these mechanics to solve puzzles to advance almost arbitrarily. Of course it's not as difficult as Portal [itself deemed an easy game] because the game tries to express its narrative primarily through gameplay mechanics [and because so few people finish games they didn't want to discourage players of a game aimed at a wider audience than the traditional gaming demographic].

It's a 2 - 3 hour game that does some clever mechanical things with its metaphor [primarily towards the end] but if you're not feeling the gameplay there's no need to force yourself to play through it, you're not going to get any incredibly revelation, the game is very open about what it's discussing, why and how.
yeah I'm not trying to take a shit on the game or anything, just happened that I was expecting to love it and just felt disappointed it didn't meet my expectations

still, if it's 2-3 hour long I may give it another shot

haven't uninstalled it yet

Have you met Monster? It becomes more complex with him around but I thought some of the earlier parts were already neat, eg moving the houses around. And if nothing else the music is godly.
just met him, life got in the way and didn't get to play it again

and yeah moving houses around was pretty neat

edit: also I'm personally not a fan of "non-games" like dear-esther, protheus, the path, etc. I kinda forgave 30 flights of loving for having enough style to make it all incredibly entertaining but eh... most of my frustration around papo & yo seems to come from the game looking like a game but feeling like a non-game since everything is so easy and straightforward

KJ869

Still not sure why you deleted your save. How would this be different had you just taken your original character and refocused on getting him gear instead of stats?

If you focus too mutch on mana and health and ignore the other lines, you end up in situation where enchantress costs to mutch to get with in reason.

FloatOn

yeah maybe doing 1 mission in the first one is the highlight of the whole series. Then just quit the thing and never launch it again cause it's a fucking tech demo with the same mission over and over

Exactly! I've never seen a game so shamelessly use the same format over and over than I did with this one. Basically if you played the first hour you've seen all there is to the game. Why I beat the stupid game I will never know.

Maybe I'll get around to 2 one day if some kind of morbid curiosity comes over me.

Chronoja

Anyone know why Ubi isn't selling Anno 1404 on Steam anymore :( I don't care about 2070 I want 1404

They haven't been sold for quite some time now.I think the situation was that Ubisoft refused to apply a patch to the steam versions of the game that fixed a game breaking bug or something. That may no longer be the reason, I haven't been keeping up to date with it.

Long shot here, but did anybody recently buy into the repeated Indie Royale bundle and will not be using the Cthulhu Save the World and Breath of Death VII codes?

A friend of mine just added them to his wishlist.

Dr Dogg

What's the general SteamGAF consensus on FEZ - Spreadsheet Edition? It's a real shitty day here and want something to sooth the old gray matter. Already gone through the 360 version but didn't know if there is anything new and shinny about the PC release. Had a look through the OT but didn't see anything conclusive.

Chronoja

Seems Darkspore was removed from steam.

I started playing the game about 2 - 3 weeks ago and out of nowhere the game became crippled by a bug known as "Error 3" which prevents any changes to your heroes from being saved. This is an EA server problem, the game has to contact the Darkspore servers to do whatever it does but since EA have abandoned the game no one will ever fix this problem so Darkspore is effectively dead in the water.

So, you all know who to direct your hatred at.

I started playing the game about 2 - 3 weeks ago and out of nowhere the game became crippled by a bug known as "Error 3" which prevents any changes to your heroes from being saved. This is an EA server problem, the game has to contact the Darkspore servers to do whatever it does but since EA have abandoned the game no one will ever fix this problem so Darkspore is effectively dead in the water.

And this is why always online DRM deserves all the hatred it gets.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Thanks for the glimpse of your singleplayer future, EA.

Chronoja

Thanks for the glimpse of your singleplayer future, EA.

I'd also add this. Error 3 seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for Darkspore but until now there seems to have been a myriad of other problems. Most notably Error 73003 which means that a large portion of the potential player base couldn't even log into the game. None of these were ever fixed, they either persisted preventing people playing the game, or if you were lucky they resolved themselves based on automated weekly server resets.

JustinBB7

Lol EA. Do they still wonder why everybody hates Origin/Them in general? How can they be so clueless.

Kabouter

Awful, I can't imagine keeping those servers up costs them very much.

Caerith

I wasn't finding any more blueprints or runes to work towards, and I wasn't making enough gold on any given run to upgrade anything. Starting over seemed easier, wouldn't have to deal with the "everything is 200 gold more than it should be" while letting me focus on the upgrade paths that better fit my playstyle. If all that means nothing, just call it cathartic.

Saying on the radio here in the UK Death Valley today will be the hottest ever temp recorded
Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

considering this will happen to any 'cloud' game, this might be threadworthy given current developments.

I don't mean that as an "YAY, EA HATE THREAD!" but more as a general flash forward.

Finished Dust yesterday. I felt it was too easy especially when like me you tend to stockpile early on items that give you luck (got that bad habit from Symphony of the Night D:). Also, there wasn't enough combos to keep the combat interesting throughout the whole game.
The game's great nonetheless, it was really unique and I haven't played a game that resembles it before. By the way I don't know if this was intended but the snowy mountain and especially the moving platforms reminded me a lot of the first Rayman.

9Hwzfd.png

If you're looking for a good action RPG with light metroidvania aspects during the Stern's summer seal Dust is a good pick. If you're a sadistic manly man with manly chesthair looking for pure metroidvania sadisticness you should pick La-Mulana.

I know this may not be the best thread for this... but I thought I'd give it a shot since I couldn't get help in a Morrowind thread from the other day.

Morrowind is my wife's favorite game of all time.
She was pregnant with our first child when Morrowind released and played this game before and after her birth, so it holds a lot of memories for her. It's probably the only game that she has beat since she owned an NES.

Just hearing the soundtrack, for both of us, brings back a lot of fond memories. I've played the ElderScroll games after this but none really have that magic that Morrowind had.

She really wants to play this again, and I have the GOTY Edition from Steam.

What are the best and quickest mods to give Morrowind a good graphical update?

Thanks!!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know this may not be the best thread for this... but I thought I'd give it a shot since I couldn't get help in a Morrowind thread from the other day.

Morrowind is my wife's favorite game of all time.
She was pregnant with our first child when Morrowind released and played this game before and after her birth, so it holds a lot of memories for her. It's probably the only game that she has beat since she owned an NES.

Just hearing the soundtrack, for both of us, brings back a lot of fond memories. I've played the ElderScroll games after this but none really have that magic that Morrowind had.

She really wants to play this again, and I have the GOTY Edition from Steam.

What are the best and quickest mods to give Morrowind a good graphical update?

Thanks!!!
This is probably the most refined method:
http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Chronoja

considering this will happen to any 'cloud' game, this might be threadworthy given current developments.

I don't mean that as an "YAY, EA HATE THREAD!" but more as a general flash forward.

Only if it would accomplish anything other than that. The annoying thing about it happening to Darkspore is that, while not the best game in it's genre, it's interesting and different enough compared to it's typically fantasy focused peers. It would be horrible to lose it forever to the likes of a "simple" software error that no-one will devote the time and effort to fix. I have no doubt the servers getting shut down next are in sights and when that happens few will mourn since so few are even left playing.

Developers and publishers need to realize that this stuff may "protect them" or "benefit the community" now and for the relatively short term future but then stuff like this happens. If this game dies no one can play it in the future, or anyone simply not into the genre at this present time. No one will ever be inspired by its gameplay or art direction or whatever. They either need to develop ways strip out these features when its dead so we can continue playing or simply not integrate them in the first place.

I honestly think there needs to be some kind of system like with books, that beyond a certain point in their existence they enter the public domain. It is evident EA simply do not care, but the people do, no matter how few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom