• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah it seems the KF combined Patreons took a $3k hit so far today. I think his "no bullshit sponsorship" description in his Patreon hit a nerve that resonated with some people who hated that. Well played by him not sure how the KF guys will feel about it. Also could we put it to rest about the no bad blood now?

No. Not until a member of KF or Colin himself comments on it.

Mezoly

No. Not until a member of KF or Colin himself comments on it.

Just because they are not saying it outright it's really not hard to see. It's obvious as day for me. Remember when they said there was no bad blood with IGN, then last week Greg on KFMS said there was bad blood with IGN?

Colin took a shot directly at them in his post today. What more do we need to see?

mdubs

Banned
I have to say, I appreciate the tone that he is seemingly trying to achieve with this series. It doesn't (at least initially) look to be a platform for grandstanding or heavily opinionated rants, (sup Twitter) but rather an avenue for discussing historical and political topics in an intelligent and insightful way. I was a little wary that the tone would be ultra-combative after the last week or so, but it looks like he is trying to move on from that to focus on the things he's passionate about.

I agree - I liked the tone of this video. If this is the way it will be with him channeling his interest in a thoughtful way, I will definitely listen to the ones about history. I hope he takes a look at some American political history (I mean, pre-1990s and stuff). I find it fascinating to hear about

Zukkoyaki

With the kind of money he's going to be taking in, if he lives frugally and saves/invests the lion's share of it he will be able to fulfill his dream of retiring at 40-45 to become a reclusive author.

Which, real talk, would be amazing lol.

Luke_Wal

Just because they are not saying it outright it's really not hard to see. It's obvious as day for me. Remember when they said there was no bad blood with IGN, then last week Greg on KFMS said there was bad blood with IGN?

Colin took a shot directly at them in his post today. What more do we need to see?

When did Greg say this? I remember him making a joke about it but don't remember anything that sounded real. What did he say?

alemmon

Did I miss something here? What shot?

mdubs

Banned
With the kind of money he's going to be taking in, if he lives frugally and saves/invests the lion's share of it he will be able to fulfill his dream of retiring at 40-45 to become a reclusive author.

Which, real talk, would be amazing lol.

I hope this happens and he writes that book on video game history he's mused about for a while

Lashley

Where?

ironmang

His success is proof that GAF is pretty out of touch. Happy for my boy Colin M but a little sad him and Greg wont be living together anymore.

Shouldn't be surprising given how opposing viewpoints are dogpiled by 20+ posts per day regulars who have nothing better to do. Then they're often banned if what they said derails a thread too much whether or not it's something actually offensive.

Mezoly

Did I miss something here? What shot?

From Colin's Patreon page:
"This Patreon will help fund this vision, and without it, Colin’s Last Stand cannot be. YouTube ads are fine, but they’re also not going to pay the bills. I have no interest in selling you shit before videos and lining my content with shameless advertising. Your time is valuable, and there’s no sense in wasting it. By supporting me here on Patreon, you can help fuel an independent attempt to add to the all-important conversations surrounding politics. You can help shepherd in a new appreciation for history. You can help create an ecosystem teeming with ideas."

Keep in mind the ads has been a point of contention among fans for months.

Lashley

"This Patreon will help fund this vision, and without it, Colin’s Last Stand cannot be. YouTube ads are fine, but they’re also not going to pay the bills. I have no interest in selling you shit before videos and lining my content with shameless advertising. Your time is valuable, and there’s no sense in wasting it. By supporting me here on Patreon, you can help fuel an independent attempt to add to the all-important conversations surrounding politics. You can help shepherd in a new appreciation for history. You can help create an ecosystem teeming with ideas."

Just because he was against the ads doesn't mean there is bad blood between him and the group

Banned

That's taking a shot at IGN? Whew that's some reaching there.

LiK

I think ads are just annoying in general. Even Jim Sterling made a big deal about having no ads because of Patreon. So while Colin makes it sound harsh, I understand where he's coming from. Besides, he's pitching for supporters.

Mezoly

That's taking a shot at IGN? Whew that's some reaching there.

Guys you confusing my two responses.

One is about Colin taking shot at KF which is in Colin Patroen post about ads.

The other about Greg's KFMS comment last week about resentment with IGN when for years Greg said there weren't any.

Sorry if it's still confusing.

ghornett

Neo Member
I think ads are just annoying in general. Even Jim Sterling made a big deal about having no ads because of Patreon. So while Colin makes it sound harsh, I understand where he's coming from. Besides, he's pitching for supporters.

Thank god for Jim

Maximo

Not surprised at the numbers the type of people that will watch Colin's content probably have decent dosh to throw around.

alemmon

I mean, in all fairness, seems more like an attack on a business model not on the Kinda Funny guys. I also hate hearing about movement watches, blue apron or dollar shave club but I understand there is money to be made. It is what it is.

Lashley

I mean, in all fairness, seems more like an attack on a business model not on the Kinda Funny guys. I also hate hearing about movement watches, blue apron or dollar shave club but I understand there is money to be made. It is what it is.

I like how tim keeps saying he loves dollar shave club, whilst sporting a full beard

ironmang

I think those kinds of ads are much less offensive if the content producers aren't making big money from a Patreon already. I listen to a couple podcasts where those ads are basically the only money they make and it's mostly just to help pay for equipment and traveling costs.

Mezoly

Fair enough. He also mentioned he won't lock episodes behind paywall. It seems he is cashing in on what people hated about KF business model. You don't do that if everything is good and well. At first, I thought there was no resentment but the more I looked into it the clearer it became to me. The tweets, interview with Rubin, and today's patreon description there is no doubt on my mind that there is a little bad blood at least from Colin toward the group. But that's just obviously my opinion.

Banned
Guys you confusing my two responses.

One is about Colin taking shot at KF which is in Colin Patroen post about ads.

The other about Greg's KFMS comment last week about resentment with IGN when for years Greg said there weren't any.

Sorry if it's still confusing.
I was surprised when I started listening to KFG that there were ads considering they got YouTube ad money and a sizeable Patreon. Guess you never say no to potential revenue :p

I like how tim keeps saying he loves dollar shave club, whilst sporting a full beard
Maintaining a beard is even more work than just shaving it all off. I keep a beard goatee and I need precision shaving around the areas I want to keep and then there's trimming to keep the beard from getting to long and getting lip hairs in your mouth lol.

Lashley

Fair enough. He also mentioned he won't lock episodes behind paywall. It seems he is cashing in on what people hated about KF business model. You don't do that if everything is good and well. At first, I thought there was no resentment but the more I looked into it the clearer it became to me. The tweets, interview with Rubin, and today's patreon description there is no doubt on my mind that there is a little bad blood at least from Colin toward the group. But that's just obviously my opinion.
Which is why I said it won't go away until they either say there is bad blood or say there isn't

Maxim726X

So, even if he loses half his support moving forward... He's still got almost guaranteed a six figure salary.

I hope other semi-influential gaming personalities are paying attention.

Mezoly

Which is why I said it won't go away until they either say there is bad blood or say there isn't

Whoops my bad. I misread your post.
To be fair KF guys said there was no bad blood and Colin said I wish them success. I don't see them revealing more than that for the first few months. Colin said on Rubin there was fighting but didn't want to spill the beans.

RoKKeR

So, even if he loses half his support moving forward... He's still got almost guaranteed a six figure salary.

I hope other semi-influential gaming personalities are paying attention.

Man, no kidding. He said on the Rubin Report that "it's not about the money" and that he was actually taking a fairly sizable hit on his salary by leaving KF, but after today...... seems to be doing pretty well for himself already. Almost 25k.

Maxim726X

Man, no kidding. He said on the Rubin Report that "it's not about the money" and that he was actually taking a fairly sizable hit on his salary by leaving KF, but after today...... seems to be doing pretty well for himself already. Almost 25k.

25k a fucking month.

That's 300,000 a year. So yeah, relatively sure he never saw anywhere near that kind of money in the gaming industry. Though he's going to have to make content to justify that kind of monthly donation, and I'm sure many will drop off within the first few months... But this is only the first day the Patreon is open, right? That's fucking crazy.

25k a fucking month.

That's 300,000 a year. So yeah, relatively sure he never saw anywhere near that kind of money in the gaming industry. Though he's going to have to make content to justify that kind of monthly donation, and I'm sure many will drop off within the first few months... But this is only the first day the Patreon is open, right? That's fucking crazy.

It's been open six hours. My mind is blown.

LiK

25k a fucking month.

Depends if people will stay past the first month or so. If he's not delivering content I can see it shrink.

jf DOOM

Or he saw what people complained about at KF and made a counter to that.

Mezoly

He is averaging about $7 per patron which should go down eventually. Even so, I didn't see over $25K coming at all. I thought 15K-20K at most.

Or he saw what people complained about at KF and made a counter to that.
So a shot? because that's what I called it.

Visceir

Could probably put some of that money to use to get an editor to assist him and lower his workload.

Anyway, in regards to him moving -- it's prob for the best to distance himself from KF guys and activities for a while. It's a shitty side-effect of this whole situation and everyone prob saw this coming.

He'll probably have more opportunities and connections in LA, so that would probably be a good choice.

Good lord. How?

I guess I'm just blown away by the fact that someone who has covered video games for a living can just cross over into a completely unrelated field and still demand this kind of following.

As someone posted earlier, he seems to have struck some kind of nerve with the KF audience and his fanbase.

Mezoly

Good lord. How?

I guess I'm just blown away by the fact that someone who has covered video games for a living can just cross over into a completely unrelated field and still demand this kind of following.

While KF and IGN people in general are not popular here on Gaf, they are pretty popular elsewhere. Colin has been in the industry for 10 years. In the gaming industry that's a lot. Add to that he has some niche opinions compared to the rest of gaming media and you will see that "marginalized" group of people latch into him.

Ledbetter

I'm glad Colin is doing very good on Patreon! Looking forward to his new channel. It really looks like that is what he wants to do.

So the KF guys will eventually bring another 4th "best friend" or has anything been said with respect to that?

LiK

I'm glad Colin is doing very good on Patreon! Looking forward to his new channel. It really looks like that is what he wants to do.

So the KF guys will eventually bring another 4th "best friend" or has anything been said with respect to that?

Greg mentioned lasted KF Morning show that they might have rotating guests.

Could probably put some of that money to use to get an editor to assist him and lower his workload.

Anyway, in regards to him moving -- it's prob for the best to distance himself from KF guys and activities for a while. It's a shitty side-effect of this whole situation and everyone prob saw this coming.

He'll probably have more opportunities and connections in LA, so that would probably be a good choice.
I agree with everything you said. It's currently a little past $26k/month, so there's plenty of money to go around to help out with the massive workload that is going to be expected of him.

Top Bottom