• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

J8h6L.gif

Icicle

Don't you people sleep?
The thrill of publicly clocking and dragging a bitch can keep me going for days.

Because Phono's bald scalp is surely still raw and bloody, I'll go after someone else, at least for the duration of this gif.

willowsnatchingpxb0p.gif

It's that easy, girls! Join in the fun! Let your faves be exalted and her rivals be slayed!

Wilsongt

The thrill of publicly clocking and dragging a bitch can keep me going for days.

Because Phono's bald scalp is surely still raw and bloody, I'll go after someone else, at least for the duration of this gif.

willowsnatchingpxb0p.gif

It's that easy, girls! Join in the fun! Let your faves be exalted and her rivals be slayed!

That .gif. I love it.

Switters

Lol, I'm sure an uber-rich child aint to pressed about it. Whenever she wants with a flick of her her hair, papa Smith will drop a charting jam for her.

We'll see her again in a few years. That's an unfortunate promise.

Edit: Lady Skrillex is lookin kinda good here....

Trigger

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Gaga & Cher duet. I really liked her duet with Tony Bennet (though that was a completely different genre).

Switters

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2012/05/03/adele-21-uk-all-time-bestseller-list/

Adele's 21 Overtakes Michael Jackson's Thriller On U.K. All-Time Bestseller List
Posted 5/3/12 8:47 am EST by John Mitchell in Adele, Michael Jackson

Adele's unstoppable 21, which is closing in on 9 million in sales in the U.S. (making our prediction that it will likely become the first diamond record in the states since Usher's 2004 Confessions set on the nose), just blasted past Michael Jackson's 1982 classic Thriller on the U.K. all-time bestseller list, according to NME.

21 is now the fifth best-selling album in the U.K. with staggering sales of 4,274,300 copies since its release in January 2011, besting Thriller's sales by about 500 units.

Her sales are not that far off the next two albums – Oasis's What's the Story Morning Glory and ABBA's Gold: Greatest Hits – on the list either, though she's got a ways to go before she reaches the list's top two spots, which are owned by The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band at #2 (5.04 million) and Queen's Greatest Hits at #1 (5.83 million records sold).

In the 15 months since its release, 21 has spent 65 non-consecutive weeks at #1 in the U.K. and, having outsold Amy Winehouse's Back To Black, is the top selling album of the 21st Century in the country.

2nbwmkz.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

Normally I don't care so much but since Marina's my girl, I had to see what the fuss what about. This is what one review that gave Electra Heart a 1/10 said

‘Electra heart’ is an ingloriously languid statement of Marina’s demise, the final stamp of disapproval on her flailing excuse of a musical career. There is actually a song called ‘Bubblegum Bitch’ on this album. ’nuff said.

Even though the statement itself is kind of funny, what a fucking joke of a review. I can't believe that was actually accepted by Metacritic. It's hard for me to believe he even got as far as listening to the full fucking album. What a douche. Seriously unprofessional, and although it seems that reviews on Clash are limited to 100 words, only 1/3 of the 'review' was actually about the album. The whole thing reeks of bitchiness.

Nemesis_

The fact that anyone uses Metacritic to shade is very disconcerting

6bnzA.gif

Most of the review seems to be targeting Marina as a person rather than the music itself. I know a lot of people who find her and the way she acts "annoying" although to be honest I've never really seen it. But yeah, seems a bit silly really.

Oh shit. I just read that CLASH review.

One of the later additions to the U k’s current-ish wave of ‘credible’ female pop-stars, Marina rocked up in early 2010 with her debut album ‘The Family Jewels’. And of course, we all knew it wouldn’t be long until one of them slipped up, whether it be La Roux or Little Boots or whoever else is bothering the dizzy heights of thirty these days; a femme-fatality. ‘Electra heart’ is an ingloriously languid statement of Marina’s demise, the final stamp of disapproval on her flailing excuse of a musical career. There is actually a song called ‘Bubblegum Bitch’ on this album. ’nuff said.

That's the WHOLE THING. Oh my.

VuORD.gif

SpiffyG

PREACH.

A 53 won't get you anywhere.
Won't get you anywhere? How about #1 in the two countries it's been released in so far (UK and Ireland).

iLvSdmCrPtGyY.png

boom

And as Sai and Nemesis have already stated, half of those reviews are a defamation of Marina's character rather than a review of the music.

Icicle

Clearly this is just the Off The Wall to her forthcoming Thriller
moniquerollseyesm0xi2.gif

Personally hoping she pulls a Norah Jones. After being the leading sales and award-winning artist for several years, she started making her music more personal with her third album, (co-wrote every track, darker themes, some political messages, among other changes) which resulted in the album having a distinctly different feel from her two previous, best-selling efforts. Her fourth album, continued the trend of experimentation at the expense of sales and consumer interest.

I think for Norah, one she reached the top, both critically and commercially, she just really wanted to grow as an artist rather than just try breaking sales or award records. She formed her own side-bands and has done all sorts of collaborations and duets with musicians from all backgrounds. It's unfortunate that most people don't even know if she's still alive at this point because she is not making "Starbucks music" now.

However, I am very much at peace with Adele falling into "Trivial Pursuit question" territory now too. Alternatively, she could take a leaf out of the book of the incomparable Lauryn Hill and just remove herself from the public eye altogether. However, Lauryn is now making a bona fide return to the music scene this year with her first album in 12 years, which is something people have long been hoping for. If Adele were to break from music and return, she would have no fans to anticipate her album due to the global overexposure of both Adele herself and the incredibly singularly-themed 21.

Adele, you done burnt me out long ago, and I can see signs of it happening to others too. Waddle aside, those sales charts and Grammy Awards are being taken back by a legend.

I don't understand how an album about a 21-year-old crying about being dumped has received so much praise. So self-indulgent.

kpgz7.gif

Icicle

EPIC CIALLAH UPDATE:

Video being shot this week, to be released in next few coming weeks. Video to drop same time as single. SHE is COMING

2vjdiyxzxk5c.gif

EPIC CIALLAH UPDATE of my own!

Ciara was spotted coming out of a dance rehearsal today with friend/choreographer Jamaica Craft.
c97ce.jpg

Additionally, she cryptically tweeted "10" today. If tomorrow she tweets "9," then we know we're in for something good!

I do question the wisdom of having Ciara work on her dancing of all things, though!

Bladenic

Ciara still lives? Color me surprised. Let's be serious though, anything she puts out now will flop handily. Her time is long gone, just like Ashanti's or most other 2000's R&B/hip-hop singers.

Oh and just curious, how much did Marina's album sell? #1 means jack shit when it it didn't sell that much. It's easy to be #1 when there are no new releases to compete with except for a new album by a singer who's long given up making popular music for all intents and purposes. Not shading, just saying.

Majmun

I'll stick with just those (for now), but Madonna's done enough of this thievery in her career that the images alone are in the hundreds. Here's a list/catalog for those that are ready to embrace the truth.

Holy shit!!!!
And people say Lady Gaga steals from Kleptonna?
Some of those pic are reaching a bit. But most of that stuff makes even my lovely Beyonce look like a common bag snatcher.
The hag of pop is definitely a master thief.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Pop star Lady Gaga, a fitness fanatic who works out daily and follows a strict diet, says loneliness fueled her drug addiction during her post-high school years.

“I started doing cocaine because it was like the drug was my friend," Gaga, 26, said on the Conversation with Amanda de Cadenet talk show May 3, 2012 (see video at left). "I never did it with other people. It’s such a terrible way to fill that void, because it just adds to that void, because it’s not real.”

She continued: "I began to cherish my loneliness. I have, sort of, since I was around 20 years old. I was very depressed when I was 19. I decided to pursue music, so I dropped out of school and I told my parents I didn't want any money from them. I got three jobs and I just hit the ground running.

"I would go back to my apartment every day and I would just sit there. It was quiet and it was lonely. It was still. It was just my piano and myself. I had at television and I would leave it on all the time just to feel like somebody was hanging out with me."

you can watch the interview here: http://vimeo.com/41563063
its one of the best one she has given

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

Icicle

kc5Ao.jpg

Leave this mess at home. I have no idea what to expect from a new LH album...

This track, Repercussions, was leaked during the summer of 2010. The reception for it was very positive, so it got an official release from Columbia and even charted on the Billboard Top 100 R&B/Hip-Hop Songs without any promotion.

It has since been confirmed that it will appear on her upcoming album, probably in an extended or remixed form, though.

"This mess" will mess you up if she gets her hands on a microphone.

B9iUB.gif

Icicle

Holy shit, Icicle bringing the gifs. Jade the Ace of Spades? Glorious

Jade *bow*

New York's bite, but with a brain too <3

You gurls have no idea how happy you've just made me by showing love for Jade. I have plenty more gifs of her, for all sorts of occasions. My folder of ANTM gifs is a source of great personal pride. Now that I know ya'll appreciate what I've got, I'll be sure to throw out all sorts of ANTM amazingness .

HBDaU.gif

SpiffyG

Oh and just curious, how much did Marina's album sell? #1 means jack shit when it it didn't sell that much. It's easy to be #1 when there are no new releases to compete with except for a new album by a singer who's long given up making popular music for all intents and purposes. Not shading, just saying.
I'll get back to you on the numbers. People on PJ are pulling some numbers out of their asses, "Still holding on strong at #1, about 3500 copies ahead of Lana". Trying to find their source.

Also, Pitchfork reviewed Electra Heart.
. To put things into perspective, they gave Born to Die a 5.5. Apparently Teen Idle is "horrible". WHAT!

G-Fex

Boyfriend Video Made Us Wet

Bieber > Marina, in general though, but I don't really like either.

ibltsqdz1HmIBV.gif

and I recognize and Respect MDNA's accomplishments over the many years.

All this MDNA talk makes me want to watch Dick Tracy again

Switters

watch Dick Tracy again

Gooood Idea.

Hey POP GAF, let me sing for you! I got a new mic and I want to put it through its paces. I'm planning on recording something tomorrow but not sure what to do song wise.

Taking requests. (if there's a karaoke version floating around)

I have a decent range so most male stuff is game. <3

Sai-kun

Banned
Gooood Idea.

Hey POP GAF, let me sing for you! I got a new mic and I want to put it through its paces. I'm planning on recording something tomorrow but not sure what to do song wise.

Taking requests. (if there's a karaoke version floating around)

I have a decent range so most male stuff is game. <3

!!! I'm only picking this one cuz I'm sure there's an instrumental version of it, but do Coldplay's Every Teardrop is a Waterfall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom