• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMO Skyforge is coming to PS4 this March

Loudninja

Hi everyone! We’re the Skyforge Team, and today we have something really exciting to share with you. We’re deeply honored to give you the opportunity to become part of “the chosen” and discover what it means to fight until the end, again and again (and again)!

In the free-to-play action MMO Skyforge, you receive the gift of immortality and enlist to protect your home planet Aelion — a gorgeous but scarred world terrorized by alien invasions.

Aelion is a planet littered with ancient technology and powerful magic for you to throw back in the face of the invaders. RPG fans can look forward to 14 wildly different classes that you can switch between on demand, and action fans will find combat mechanics you won’t come across in just any other MMO.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...world-in-action-mmo-skyforge-out-this-spring/

Kalentan

Interesting. I played it a little bit on PC, might check it out again. Though iirc, people were saying stuff about it having become P2W recently. (Same guys behind that Armored Warfare game.)

Mephala

I enjoyed this quite a bit when i played it on PC. The instancing isn't for every body but it makes MMOs a better experience for laggy people like myself. The combat is actually pretty good. I think I was really enjoying the monk class but being able to switch as you need was what really got me.

I played a bit on PC while we were in between MMO's. Eventually went back to Guild Wars 2 after getting the gang back together.

It it a pretty fun game, has good pacing, and looks pretty good. But all in all it was a rather vapid experience, had hilariously bad voice acting, and I still can't tell you what the story is about.

I do remember it being rather grindy, but in a F2P game I expect that a bit. At least the combat is fun to make up for it.

I remember my other large gripe was a lot of the zones were very limited on where you could go. Sorta like Phantasy Star Online but without the charm. I kinda expect my PC MMO's to let me explore more.

Cracklox

Oh man. I played a bunch of this when it came out on PC. Was on the verge of ascending to Godhood when I put it down as well.

Fun game, that can be pretty grindy and unless somethings changed, the daily cap on how much you can progress is pretty shit as well. Combats really good though. I had a tonne of fun with the Archer class (although I think it may have sped up aquistion of RSI with all that clicking), and the Alchemist was one of the best swiss army knife type classes in any game I've played.

Dunno if I'll jump back in on PS4. If there's anyway to import progress from PC I may think about it

Xyber

The game was really fun in PvP matches, as long as you didn't go beyond gear rank 30 or whatever it was. There you were in a bracket with people from lvl 0 to 30 (which should really have been split into 2 groups at lvl 15 really). But if you went past 30 there was no limit to how high leveled people you got put up against. So you pretty much got stomped every single game after that because the other people had waaay more specialized builds that fucked shit up so bad.

When I got there they had also started doing what basically amounted to pay to win events, so that's where I stepped off. This was over a year ago, so do the know if they have improved on anything since then.

JP_

Banned
32312294340_4757e309bb_z.jpg

heh

Loudninja

I played a bit on PC while we were in between MMO's. Eventually went back to Guild Wars 2 after getting the gang back together.

It it a pretty fun game, has good pacing, and looks pretty good. But all in all it was a rather vapid experience, had hilariously bad voice acting, and I still can't tell you what the story is about.

I do remember it being rather grindy, but in a F2P game I expect that a bit. At least the combat is fun to make up for it.

I remember my other large gripe was a lot of the zones were very limited on where you could go. Sorta like Phantasy Star Online but without the charm. I kinda expect my PC MMO's to let me explore more.

The game was really fun in PvP matches, as long as you didn't go beyond gear rank 30 or whatever it was. There you were in a bracket with people from lvl 0 to 30 (which should really have been split into 2 groups at lvl 15 really). But if you went past 30 there was no limit to how high leveled people you got put up against. So you pretty much got stomped every single game after that because the other people had waaay more specialized builds that fucked shit up so bad.

When I got there they had also started doing what basically amounted to pay to win events, so that's where I stepped off. This was over a year ago, so do the know if they have improved on anything since then.

Sounds good enough will try it

Ricker

Nice...most of the F2P MMO on consoles I had played before on PC(Neverwinter,Star Trek,ESO) but not this one,going to give it a try.

Svejk

Sorry for the bump, but is there any specific window for this yet? Seems we're halfway through the month and no word yet.

scraz

Put about 200 hours into the game and it's fun till you run out of content. I haven't played since US launch but at the time there was no such thing as healing. I was and tank and "healer" and it made most pugs a shitshow. PVP is 100% pay to win from what i have heard from alot of folks.

Skulldead

It was fun ride at release, until they decide too add scaling... everything start to fall apart for me.... Good for future PS4 player, this is a pretty good MMO in general.

Gin-Shiio

I think Skyforge can be best summarized as being Phantasy Star Online 3. The game's setting is very similar in tone and visuals, and the way areas are divided lends heavily from PSO1. There is plenty of instances, but also small-scale open world areas more akin to the usual MMO. It's a great game from a gameplay and technical point of view. Classes are fun to play, instances can rock your bottom and offer rewards that change every hour, giving incentive to play all of them in rotation, greatly reducing the monotony of the typical grind.

Then there's the bad (from back when I played in 2016).

-They limit your daily progress, meaning you gain a certain amount of exp and stop levelling for the day. Everything you earn beyond that goes into another in-game currency. The exp cap for one day is reached quickly, and thus that can be incredibly discouraging. You want to play more, but don't really get anything out of it.
-Next, the gating of events behind high levels. While they are advertised as a server effort, large-scale events are accessible to high-level players only, meaning you will miss out if you don't match the criteria. And since leveling per day is capped as mentioned, catching up is an excercise in futility.
-And the other effect of the exp cap is, well, you will want to spend money. You will want to progress but the game won't let you, except it still can if you pay up. There is a follower system, a glorified subsystem granting you stat buffs that can be accelerated with money. I'll just say I spent on it and regret.

The exp cap is a huge deal. If they changed that since, someone please speak up, because that is/was really were the majority of problems of the game stem from.

Cob32

Anyone purchased the early access? I've think it's quite good so far.

One major flaw though. No text chat. I basically quit playing ESO because of this. Hopefully these devs can respond faster.

WinFonda

Been playing this from early access

I have some issues, but it's easily the best free to play MMO available on PS4 I have played so far.

Been playing on PS4 Pro and I don't think it's a stretch to say this is probably one of the best looking games available. It's got some slight performance issues and animation hiccups, but man, some of these open area environments are gorgeous. The effects work is really amazing too. Take into account the crazy draw distance and the player count, and it's hard not to be impressed.

My biggest gripe is the class unlocking system, it's not clear to me yet how to unlock them, but I think you basically have to clear a province before you can unlock the class. Which might seem quick at first, but it isn't really.

From the 3 classes they start you with, you will have acquired all the abilities well before you unlock a 4th class. Which makes the game feel quite grindy and unnecessarily dull early on I think. And this is definitely intentional, since they plan to sell you class unlocks for $.

here's a pic i took

they also need an option to disable the HUD~

Xiaoki

So how is this? Is structured to be pay to win or what? There does not seem to be a lot of buzz.

Yes, its very pay to win.

You dont have levels, you have "Prestige". You can trade the paid currency for in-game currency to buy Might which increases your Prestige. So, basically, pay money to make your character better. Near infinitely too.

Its a fun game anyway. Eh ...for a while. Theres also lots of grinding.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, its very pay to win.

You dont have levels, you have "Prestige". You can trade the paid currency for in-game currency to buy Might which increases your Prestige. So, basically, pay money to make your character better. Near infinitely too.

Its a fun game anyway. Eh ...for a while. Theres also lots of grinding.

giphy.gif

Looks decent on the surface, but I think I'll pass. Thanks for the response.

Just checking in to say that this is an incredibly beautiful game. I played about 2 hours last night. The gameplay and battle system is nice and smooth. I can't comment on the grind since I just started. I'm still blown away by how good the textures and faces are in this game.

The game looks nice, but is there a story to play through and that I can finish alone or is it just an endless grind/forced group content?

BigEmil

Is this better than Neverwinter?
I don't care much about graphics but i like the art direction and sceneries in this game from what i seen very nice

Negaduck

I think Skyforge can be best summarized as being Phantasy Star Online 3. The game's setting is very similar in tone and visuals, and the way areas are divided lends heavily from PSO1. There is plenty of instances, but also small-scale open world areas more akin to the usual MMO. It's a great game from a gameplay and technical point of view. Classes are fun to play, instances can rock your bottom and offer rewards that change every hour, giving incentive to play all of them in rotation, greatly reducing the monotony of the typical grind.

Then there's the bad (from back when I played in 2016).

-They limit your daily progress, meaning you gain a certain amount of exp and stop levelling for the day. Everything you earn beyond that goes into another in-game currency. The exp cap for one day is reached quickly, and thus that can be incredibly discouraging. You want to play more, but don't really get anything out of it.
-Next, the gating of events behind high levels. While they are advertised as a server effort, large-scale events are accessible to high-level players only, meaning you will miss out if you don't match the criteria. And since leveling per day is capped as mentioned, catching up is an excercise in futility.
-And the other effect of the exp cap is, well, you will want to spend money. You will want to progress but the game won't let you, except it still can if you pay up. There is a follower system, a glorified subsystem granting you stat buffs that can be accelerated with money. I'll just say I spent on it and regret.

The exp cap is a huge deal. If they changed that since, someone please speak up, because that is/was really were the majority of problems of the game stem from.

All I saw was PSO3...

Good God I'll get this day one if it's that close.

Freeman76

After reading so many threads around the web comparing it to pso i decided to throw a tenner down on the founders pack, but its gone.

Vamoosh

Dissapeared off the store.

Dont take my money then Skyforge dudes

ReaperXL7

After reading so many threads around the web comparing it to pso i decided to throw a tenner down on the founders pack, but its gone.

Vamoosh

Dissapeared off the store.

Dont take my money then Skyforge dudes

Most likely because it's free to play starting tomarrow. Those packs were for early access, I thought about snagging one also but then figured it's not worth it just to play a free game a few days early

Sounds like something i'll play extensively for a month or two and burn out or get frustrated w/ the F2P model and drop.

Should be fun, lol.

Guess Ill stay away since its so P2W. Some devs understand how to make a good F2P game(EPIC with Paragon and Gazillion with Marvel Heroes for example) and some devs don't. This developer obviously doesn't.

Freeman76

Combat is fun, graphics and environment design arent bad, its definitely better than I expected. Going to throw a few hours in then activate the free 3 days premium and see what its all about. If it seems good I will throw a tenner at it for a month premium and go from there.

Maligna

Banned
Combat is fun, graphics and environment design arent bad, its definitely better than I expected. Going to throw a few hours in then activate the free 3 days premium and see what its all about. If it seems good I will throw a tenner at it for a month premium and go from there.

How are you playing it? I don't see it in the free section of the store.

Edit
Not up on NA store yet, i'm quite looking forward to this. Hopefully it goes up soon.

Oh, ok.

Top Bottom