• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Activations disappear when changing graphics cards [Ubi Responds, Is Snarky]

iNvid02

Update:

Gully State said:
From the original Guru3d article cited by RPS.

When contacting Ubisoft marketing here in the Netherlands, their reply goes like this: 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'.

I'm sorry, but I am not about to purchase the title seven times to make a review that by default benefits Ubisoft sales.

Welcome to PC gaming Anno 2012.

Please find the results of our massive VGA performance review below on the one chart. With one hand in the air I wave to Ubisoft, more puzzled about this then anything. What do you think ?

Update monday Jan 16 - 2012:

We have been contacted by bluebyte over the weekend, the company that developed the Anno series. Our key has been pretty much unlocked allowing us to properly work on this article. To be continued ....
Wish there was a way to support Bluebyte without giving a dime to Ubi..

Original:

NiGMg.jpg

Ubisoft have managed to go a month or so without anyone loudly throwing their hands in the air and despairing at their DRM ways. They’ll be relieved to know the drought is over, with tech wizards Guru3D discovering that Ubisoft’s limited activations of their games are not just limited to specific machines, but specific graphics cards.

Tying activations to hardware is not that unusual. Windows does the same. Much like a boat that’s had every plank of wood replaced, it’s a question for philosophers whether a PC with its guts exchanged is still the same PC, and you can’t really license a product to a case. If you change enough of your machine’s insides, Windows will eventually speak up and ask if something’s up. But Ubisoft’s Anno 2070 will refuse to reinstall if you just swap out something as simple as a graphics card.

That’s what Guru3D discovered when trying to run some benchmarking tests on the game, across three of their machines. Knowing the game had only three activations (a pretty controversial practice in itself), they kept it to a trio of boxes, and then switched cards. And the game stopped working. And refused to activate. They then contacted Ubisoft (this was four days ago) as instructed, but have had no reply.

To me this sounds more like a bug in their activation code than a defining principle of their anti-piracy measures. But then, this is Ubisoft whose DRM has previously outdone even the most outlandish parodies of the ineffective customer-baiting nonsense. We’ve got in touch with them to find out if it’s meant to be happening, and if they plan to fix it so people can change basic hardware without losing the right to play their games.

rps

iNvid02

People still buy Ubi PC titles?

im not playing games i love in an inferior way because their drm sucks, just like im not
gonna stop buying ea games because they're exclusive to origin.

what ubi are doing is terrible, they just make bad decision after bad decision and
when it fails they do a u-turn, only to make another bad move a little while later.

but its not enough for me to revert back to ps3, once you taste maxed out pc
gaming its hard to go back to consoles

kitch9

Banned
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of Ubisofts board meetings.

I've got visions of hand banging happy clappers all banging the table to the tune of The Yellow Submarine.

KingJ2002

looks like DRM is killing PC gaming... reading stuff like this just makes me want to avoid PC gaming in it's entirety.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
im not playing games i love in an inferior way because their drm sucks, just like im not
gonna stop buying ea games because they're exclusive to origin.

what ubi are doing is terrible, they just make bad decision after bad decision and
when it fails they do a u-turn, only to make another bad move a little while later.

but its not enough for me to revert back to ps3, once you taste maxed out pc
gaming its hard to go back to consoles

so basically you'll take whatever they give you.

ubishitfv22p.png

iNvid02

so basically you'll take whatever they give you.

ubishitfv22p.png

up to a point yeah, until i feel like they've screwed me so hard the next
time they try it i'll bleed - thats when i'll stop buying ubisoft games altogether.

shitty customer service and some server downtime is not enough

Rapstah

How fucking ridicolous. It's not enough that they're making sure any one license can only be used once at any given time, because you have to be logged into their service and online?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Any game that does this, and does not increase activations over time, is bullshit, it should be called a "rental" instead.

Aeana

People that support Ubisoft for PC gaming deserve this. They are shit and do not deserve money.

Well, perhaps they don't look at it the way you do. Perhaps they look at it as "playing a game I'm interested in on PC" instead of "supporting a company."

From the original Guru3d article cited by RPS.

When contacting Ubisoft marketing here in the Netherlands, their reply goes like this: 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'.

I'm sorry, but I am not about to purchase the title seven times to make a review that by default benefits Ubisoft sales.

Welcome to PC gaming Anno 2012.

Please find the results of our massive VGA performance review below on the one chart. With one hand in the air I wave to Ubisoft, more puzzled about this then anything. What do you think ?

Update monday Jan 16 - 2012:

We have been contacted by bluebyte over the weekend, the company that developed the Anno series. Our key has been pretty much unlocked allowing us to properly work on this article. To be continued ....

Wish there was a way to support Bluebyte without giving a dime to Ubi..

Well, perhaps they don't look at it the way you do. Perhaps they look at it as "playing a game I'm interested in on PC" instead of "supporting a company."
Would you buy a game knowing that when you update your video card you can no longer install it?

WOOOOOOOOOOOW

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This would be like if you had 2 consoles or brought the game over to your friends house and it wouldn't launch because it's a different console.

What dumbfucks. They have no idea what their customers are.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
is it TAGES? My activations for Riddick dissapeared when I changed RAM and CPU and I ended up being locked out of the game for a month.

as for Ubi... I've read a funny comparison on Twitter about them from a person who had been in the industry for 15 years or so. What they do is sort of ridiculous. It's like you have a cafe and then people stop going there. You still have some visitors and you are able to meed your ends but instead of courting these remaining people you stop cleaning, you stop buying good ingredients for food, your have shorter hours and so on.

subversus

Would you buy a game knowing that when you update your video card you can no longer install it?

If I knew this I would uninstall the game and then install a video card. But as this shit is ridiculous I wouldn't even think about such possibility as I didn't think in case of Riddick.

subversus

GAFs Origin fears = Unfounded and over the top.
This = Legit, serious bullshit.

it's only a matter of time when EA does shit like this. I mean they removed some weapons which people bought in BF: play4free and didn't offer any refunds.

The fact that they said 'We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you' just makes me think that Ubisoft thinks about PC gaming in a way different from every other human on the earth. What a malicious way of thinking about a product your customer bought.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sorry AC fans, this is not worth supporting the company over. At least not on PC. Going to buy Rayman on Vita but it still leaves a bad taste supporting a company that has this stringent a DRM in place to begin with.

Haunted

I'm guessing they had a hard time finding other publishers. Being a PC dev signing with Ubi, must be a though decision to make.
They have a long-standing relationship with Ubi, iirc. I remember Jimmy Connor's Tennis for SNES being published by Ubisoft.

edit: oh wow, I didn't know. They were actually purchased by Ubisoft 10 years ago.

I can to some extent understand companies using DRM to try to battle day 0 piracy, but I would really like to see some kind of proof that limited activations like this has any effect whatsoever when the game has been craccked and released.

Top Bottom