• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto: PS3 Project site opens [2 images]

Slavik81

White Man said:
So when does the Naruto show "get bad?"
Episode 1.

About every fourth episode is 'worth watching'. About every 8th episode is ostensibly 'notably good'. About every 24th episode is 'brilliant'.

It's DBZ done better. Quality still varies greatly.

White Man

Desiderus said:
read the manga and you can skip all those bad fillers.

But generally, with anime, reading the manga is like as expensive, or worse, than watching the series. It's like the only written to TV/film situation where that is the case.

Firestorm

White Man said:
So when does the Naruto show "get bad?" And does it stay bad, or does it just go through a fillery period? Are there any blocks of eps I should just skip?

I'm a busy lad, so I'll cut the fat in order to maximize my enjoyment.

Skip 101 - 106 and 136 - 220. Oh and imo the show doesn't really get good until about episode 8. So the first 7 or so are really slow and boring.

Slavik81

Desiderus said:
read the manga and you can skip all those bad fillers.
This man speaks the truth. Just like with DBZ, manga makes it better. You can skip all the time wasting things they stuff the anime with.

(Seriously, when they explain 3 times in 5 minutes why Rock Lee use ninjutsu, it drives me mad. It's as bad as powering up in DBZ.)

Desiderus

White Man said:
But generally, with anime, reading the manga is like as expensive, or worse, than watching the series. It's like the only written to TV/film situation where that is the case.
....the fuck? No, that did not just happen.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
KurowaSan said:
searched and didn't find anything so... lock if old

http://www.cc2.co.jp/narutoPS3/index.html

naruto1.jpg

naruto2.jpg
no way thats what the game looks like. i don't believe.

White Man

Desiderus said:
....the fuck? No, that did not just happen.

I can probably get 3 volumes of Naruto manga for the same price as the first season on DVD. That's about an hour's worth of manga versus a bunch of hours of video.

Desiderus

White Man said:
I can probably get 3 volumes of Naruto manga for the same price as the first season on DVD. That's about an hour's worth of manga versus a bunch of hours of video.
Well if you are including hong kong volumes yes it is cheaper. Still doesn't make the anime better then the manga.

I have a hard time believing it too. It looks more like a cg drawing.
Flipping amazing stuff.

White Man

I'm telling you, the game definitely can look like that, and it probably wouldn't even be impressive by the standards of the day when it ships.

Desiderus

Firestorm said:
Will you people stop pushing the manga in every Naruto topic. It's as annoying as the dub haters.
Fine! I was lead to believe that a lot of people read the manga and just find anime only strange.

Slavik81

White Man said:
The fact that there's the same amount of information in that hour worth of manga as in the 9 hours of anime is the reason why you should be reading the manga. Most of those 9 hours are spent talking or repeating things. Not flashy anime stuff. They can't afford to be flashy with anything but the season finale. Not when the series is hundreds of episodes long.

You're probably right that it's more expensive, though.

White Man said:

Just watch the anime you'll be alright, cause manga or anime, it's pretty damn direct adaptation and there isn't some mess of mass altered literature to on screen to be had or something, but still either way you might have your fill of Naruto by of episode 135 before the ginormous filler saga in the anime or equivalent manga chapter when it's said and done at that point.

Firestorm

Desiderus said:
Fine! I was lead to believe that a lot of people read the manga and just find anime only strange.

A lot of people read the manga, but there's tons like me who only watch the anime. I'm like that for most series. I might get into the FMA manga because it diverged from the anime at a certain point, but I'd rather watch than read when it comes to anime/manga. The anime usually captures all points of the manga unlike movies based on books. I like the color and animation. I'm also not a fan of reading static text on screens and scanlations are the fastest way to get the content.

I don't mind people who read the manga exclusively, but it annoys me when they try to push it on others or when they don't put manga spoilers in spoiler tags.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
White Man said:
I'm telling you, the game definitely can look like that, and it probably wouldn't even be impressive by the standards of the day when it ships.
The characters are believable..everything else isn't. look at the ground ect in the second scan or the mountains in the first. Its like they took cell shaded characters and put them in concept art. i really really doubt its in-game.

White Man

FootNinja said:
The characters are believable..everything else isn't. look at the ground ect in the second scan or the mountains in the first. Its like they took cell shaded characters and put them in concept art. i really really doubt its in-game.

I really don't think anything in those pictures is more than one level of detail above the 360 game (note: this is not a dig on the graphics or anything, just sayin'). I am also sure they are not "Real" screenshots, but I think that level of detail is easily achievable.

Also, folks, natural bias, I would rather watch an anime than read a manga. Don't think less of me for it, it's just a personal preference.

The manga can be just as hit or miss as the anime really.

Naruto is one of my guilty pleasures, and it is decent especially if you just ignore the fillers(please do, I would randomly watch them on tv with my host family's daughters when I was in Kansai. I mean wtf, butterfly ninja people?)

I have never understood the hate for naruto. I guess its just a product of it being popular. I enjoy it because it actually tries(and does a decent job sometimes) to make a somewhat believable and interesting world. They don't flesh out some stuff as they could but its still interesting. Unlike most anime/manga where they just take normal high school kids and reveal some crazy lineage or power.

White Man

FootNinja said:

I guess its comparable to a degree. Nice target render.

The biggest improvement, aside from a few additional details in the environment that are largely inconsequential on a technical level, is a new, more detailed lighting model. I think that is totally totally possible.

Hopefully no one leaves a scarf or a book in the forest with Generic Bandits protecting it with their lives.

On that note, I hope this game touches on Part 2.

And I know it will have better gameplay than RoaN. Please god. I love Naruto more than (probably) most on this board so don't think i'm bashing RoaN for no reason. I'm on my way to get a 1000 gamerscore points for it. I have to, it's Naruto. But it's issues should have been dealt with. We're talking platform issues from early PS1 days.

Anyway, CC2 should do fine. So far out though :(

FootNinja said:
I guess its comparable to a degree. Nice target render.

they both look good, but the shot of the PS3 project game looks much more clean in the same sense that Wind Waker was a very clean looking game.

RoaN looks great, but some aspects of it are almost like they are trying to prove to you it looks good while at the same time some parts just looks sloppy and terrible. The water is fantastic in the game tho, until you fall and realize YOU ARE A NINJA WHO CANT SWIM, this is despite the fact Naruto swims in the anime, but it understandable that they did it to add an extra gameplay element.

Akira

PS3 Naruto has thinner outlines, so PS3 Naruto > X360 Naruto. ;)

From watching the trailer of the PS3 games, it seems there are a lot of jutsus like the Suiton and Katon by Sasuke. Does the 360 version use jutsus in the fighting system?

BudokaiMR2 said:
The manga can be just as hit or miss as the anime really.

Naruto is one of my guilty pleasures, and it is decent especially if you just ignore the fillers(please do, I would randomly watch them on tv with my host family's daughters when I was in Kansai. I mean wtf, butterfly ninja people?)

I have never understood the hate for naruto. I guess its just a product of it being popular. I enjoy it because it actually tries(and does a decent job sometimes) to make a somewhat believable and interesting world. They don't flesh out some stuff as they could but its still interesting. Unlike most anime/manga where they just take normal high school kids and reveal some crazy lineage or power.

The manga has been unbelievable lately. No misses for a long time. And the latest chapter seals it as biggest comeback ever.
HxH bores me to death
. Finally, buddhism (religion) is coming into play which means Kishimotos original promise (classic Japanese tale) is coming into fruition.

The game just started production guys, it's feasible they hit the target renders in real-time.

White Man

Linkzg said:
they both look good, but the shot of the PS3 project game looks much more clean in the same sense that Wind Waker was a very clean looking game.

Yeah, but the PS3 shot is a third of the size, too. As we've seen with, oh, just about any Wii game, tiny screenshots make everything look better.

But I guess it's beside the point, since I think that second one is a "target render" of some variety.

Firestorm

Deadly Monk said:
Hopefully no one leaves a scarf or a book in the forest with Generic Bandits protecting it with their lives.

On that note, I hope this game touches on Part 2.

And I know it will have better gameplay than RoaN. Please god. I love Naruto more than (probably) most on this board so don't think i'm bashing RoaN for no reason. I'm on my way to get a 1000 gamerscore points for it. I have to, it's Naruto. But it's issues should have been dealt with. We're talking platform issues from early PS1 days.

Anyway, CC2 should do fine. So far out though :(

Chances of this game starting at the beginning are almost guaranteed. Each company is trying to build a franchise on each platform. So expect this game to start from the beginning and then move on to part 2 in the next game, just like Ubisoft. After Part 2 we'll probably get Hurricane Chronicles/Shippuuden.

White Man

Firestorm said:
Chances of this game starting at the beginning are almost guaranteed. Each company is trying to build a franchise on each platform. So expect this game to start from the beginning and then move on to part 2 in the next game, just like Ubisoft. After Part 2 we'll probably get Hurricane Chronicles/Shippuuden.

This is exactly why I figured that I liked RoaN more than most established Naruto fans appear to. They've been through this shit before, probably multiple times, so they aren't as willing to put up with the game's flaws in order to get a payoff they already know everything about.

Deadly Monk said:
The manga has been unbelievable lately. No misses for a long time. And the latest chapter seals it as biggest comeback ever.
HxH bores me to death
. Finally, buddhism (religion) is coming into play which means Kishimotos original promise (classic Japanese tale) is coming into fruition.

The game just started production guys, it's feasible they hit the target renders in real-time.

Yeah although I thought the beginning of the shippuden in the manga was kind of weak. But its definitely been getting better and better and better. Just recently caught up and gonna be reading it weekly in the konbinis now ;)

White Man said:
Also, folks, natural bias, I would rather watch an anime than read a manga. Don't think less of me for it, it's just a personal preference.

No need to apologize. For action series like Naruto, the anime is often better. Only drama is universally better served by manga.

As for what to watch, it depends on your tolerance level. Naruto is one of those shows of which there is way too much. If you have the time and the taste you can stick through however much of the TV show you want, but you can usually get a better return on your time investment just watching the movies of series like this. They always have bigger moments and better production, and it's not like time compression or skipping discards subtle nuances of intelligence in an assembly-line product like Naruto.

brocke

Banned
For naruto, is there extra stuff in the manga that isn't mentioned in the show (enough to make it worth reading the manga if i've already seen every episode)?

In other words, if i've seen every episode of the anime is the manga still worth reading?

brocke said:
For naruto, is there extra stuff in the manga that isn't mentioned in the show (enough to make it worth reading the manga if i've already seen every episode)?

In other words, if i've seen every episode of the anime is the manga still worth reading?

KAKASHI GAIDEN!!!!!

Still my favorite part of the manga.

White Man said:
Yeah, but the PS3 shot is a third of the size, too. As we've seen with, oh, just about any Wii game, tiny screenshots make everything look better.

But I guess it's beside the point, since I think that second one is a "target render" of some variety.

yeah, no doubt that its a target render, but if they are going for that clean style then that is a plus for me.

Liabe Brave said:
No need to apologize. For action series like Naruto, the anime is often better. Only drama is universally better served by manga.

As for what to watch, it depends on your tolerance level. Naruto is one of those shows of which there is way too much. If you have the time and the taste you can stick through however much of the TV show you want, but you can usually get a better return on your time investment just watching the movies of series like this. They always have bigger moments and better production, and it's not like time compression or skipping discards subtle nuances of intelligence in an assembly-line product like Naruto.

Except the Naruto movies tend to suck pretty hardcore. I think I liked the second one alright. Bah I barely remember really.

White Man

Liabe Brave said:

Yeah, I'm going in knowing that I will probably tire of the show long before I am even within sniffing distance of its conclusion. Before I quit, I will just go to Wiki and read p on what I am going to miss. I watched quite a bit of DBZ. I'm sure Naruto fans hate that comparison, but I went into that with a somewhat similar philosophy.

Firestorm

Liabe Brave said:

The movies are shit. I think they're on three so I guess my opinion isn't really counted too much. I saw the first and couldn't bear to go on. It's really, really bad. There's like 1 minute of quality fighting in the entire first movie.

Chrono

Banned
For the people still watching/reading Naruto, if I stopped watching right around the end of the first part but before the fillers, basically at the end of the sasuke mission, how many new non-filler episodes are there? And about the manga, I think I read past the anime and stopped around
some akatsuki fights
, how much further did the story get?

I really like the world of Naruto but I just despise Naruto himself. I should probably try giving one of the games a shot just so I can whale on his ass.

Chrono said:
For the people still watching/reading Naruto, if I stopped watching right around the end of the first part but before the fillers, basically at the end of the sasuke mission, how many new non-filler episodes are there? And about the manga, I think I read past the anime and stopped around
some akatsuki fights
, how much further did the story get?

A lot further lol. It slowed down for a bit, Kishi took a break, came back and did some amazing things. His art is also getting better by the year.

Firestorm said:
The movies are shit. I think they're on three so I guess my opinion isn't really counted too much. I saw the first and couldn't bear to go on. It's really, really bad. There's like 1 minute of quality fighting in the entire first movie.

I think 4 came out that was based on Shippuden, I dont know the quality of it, but the other three have been going down quality wise. The 3rd movie is just so awful.

Deadly Monk said:
HxH bores me to death

I dont see the comeback with the Naruto manga yet, and despite putting your opinion of it in the spoiler, Hunter X Hunter has the best come back in a shounen manga. The new chapters are just so amazingly good, the last two pages of the most recent chapter is just so amazingly well done. I want a Hunter X Hunter game already (that isnt shit on the PS1)

Deadly Monk said:
A lot further lol. It slowed down for a bit, Kishi took a break, came back and did some amazing things. His art is also getting better by the year.

I've always really liked Kishi's art to be honest. I think he has awesome fight choreography and it just seems to flow well a lot of the time.

The anime doesn't always nail that feeling in the same way IMO. Though when it does it is magic.

brocke

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
KAKASHI GAIDEN!!!!!

Still my favorite part of the manga.

Is that all that is different in the manga and what volumes is it in?

And btw, Naruto is just begging to be made into an mmorpg. The whole different village element could be easy to turn into pvp.

Chrono

Banned
Deadly Monk said:

His art wasn't the problem - it's the writing. The sasuke arc was his lowest point, I remember an ENTIRE CHAPTER that translated to a 5 second anime scene. Maybe 10, I don't know. And for the second part, it's like he lost all his imagination and simply upgraded what he had in the beginning.

Naruto goes to train with jirayah and comes back with... mega-rasengan? What the hell was that? At that point I was only reading spoilers/summaries and scanning hte pages, they weren't worth reading and I just quit.

Linkzg said:
I dont see the comeback with the Naruto manga yet, and despite putting your opinion of it in the spoiler, Hunter X Hunter has the best come back in a shounen manga. The new chapters are just so amazingly good, the last two pages of the most recent chapter is just so amazingly well done. I want a Hunter X Hunter game already (that isnt shit on the PS1)

I think I'll just wait for the Chimera Ant arc to be animated. No way am I going through all that scribbling that he tried to pass off as drawing.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I've always really liked Kishi's art to be honest. I think he has awesome fight choreography and it just seems to flow well a lot of the time.

The anime doesn't always nail that feeling in the same way IMO. Though when it does it is magic.

not to knock Kishi or anything like that, but the best in the anime was quite different than in the manga, most of you who read/watch naruto should also consider this best fight so I wont even mention who was involved in it or where it took place.

but I think the main problem with Shippuden and why it sucks so much is because they add to the 'check up' scenes, but luckily there arent really any more of those anymore for a while in the anime. The manga is getting better, but I am just hoping it doesnt drag on, I am still waiting for the eventual
chapter or more about how Pain changed and blah blah all that stuff.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think I'll just wait for the Chimera Ant arc to be animated. No way am I going through all that scribbling that he tried to pass off as drawing.

the last few recent chapters after the break have been drawn much better than before, there are even some textless pages!!!

I don't really get the love for HxH, it has no depth. It's like One Piece but without the wink-wink over the top action. Guess I get bored of just eye candy. That's a topic in itself so let's not drag it out here.

I just want my high def Part 2 games. And I want this game to come out next year but I doubt it.

Top Bottom