• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

StuBurns

Banned
Branduil said:
This makes no sense at all.
I wouldn't go that far.

"Yo Reggie, you want 3DS games? Well they cost too much, give us a second stick and you can have crap versions of Vita games which are crap versions of PS3 games."

As others have stated this in my opinion would kill what little good faith early adopters (like me) have left in this system. If they release a model with serious upgrades like this, part of my ambassador program had better be a full system replacement. Still most of this is pure BS except maybe the dev kit manufacturing and the management screw ups, that I can totally believe.

"According to our source, right as you read those lines, Nintendo engineers are spending many sleepless nights working on an additional device, which should be sold separately for about 10 dollars."

How is this even possible?

Acerac

Banned
Well I've already decided to stop buying consoles from Nintendo. Will they make this decision which would cause me to never touch their handhelds again as well?

Can't wait to find out.

seady

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Chance of this post being correct: 100%.

Odds for Nintendo NOT supporting their peripheral: 100%.

No matter how suck or how super successful their peripheral is, they will barely support it after it launched- look at how many Wii Motion + and Wii Board out there and how little they care.

Yagharek

Gaf is seemingly incapable of having rational discussion about Nintendo.

seriously, who the hell thinks this rumour has even a grain of truth to it. Burnt porks dick is safe.

Mama Robotnik said:
Distance from the 3D stigma, a brand name that fully distinguishes the unit as something seperate to the DS, and recapturing the hype of being new accompanied with presumably a more substantial catalogue of games.

Well, a rebranded 3DS redesign that deemphasized 3D presumably wouldn't be called 3DS, which would mean that Nintendo would face the challenges of (a) retroactively rebranding the existing 3DS library, including Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7; and (b) communicating to 3DS owners - including all those who will buy it for those two titles this holiday season - that the system is compatible with "DS2" software, and vice versa. Sounds like it'd be pretty damn confusing to most people who don't follow gaming news closely.

In short, Nintendo made their bed with the 3DS branding, and now they'll have to lie in it. I'm not convinced that that's necessarily such a terrible situation to be in, but I guess we'll see.

Codeblue

A new analog attachement would be pretty cool if they figure out how to put it on there in a decent way.

I'm not buying another 3DS until they figure out how to make an XL version or mine breaks, though. I'm especially not going to buy a new handheld the same year as a new home console.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Putting my thumb on the only place this second circle pad could be is incredibly uncomfortable and awkward. So even it were real, it would still be dumb.

GaussTek

I'm sure Nintendo is planning/preparing some kind of redesign for the 3DS... but I just simply don't believe they will do something that big.

I mean, they don't even know how the 3DS will do on the holiday season. Does that mean that they are preparing for the worst? lol But even like that, I'm pretty sure the 3DS will sell a lot, and if they are planning a major redesign with some kind of extra functonality that will render useless the current model if people don't buy an external peripheral (if that's even possible), Jesus Christ... that will be bad for Nintendo (a LOT of people will be really pissed, including me). So, I really don't think they'll do anything like that.

The Last One said:
"According to our source, right as you read those lines, Nintendo engineers are spending many sleepless nights working on an additional device, which should be sold separately for about 10 dollars."

How is this even possible?

Indeed, that would imply it took me many nights to read those few lines of the article.

Old mock-up time! I wonder if the redesign could look like any of these...

3DS-Screenshots.jpg

3ds-dually.jpg

Regarding the supposed crime of "admitting failure"...

If something is, or looks like it is going ot be a failure, doesn't it make sense to admit it as soon as possible, consolidate your losses and move on to more successful ventures?

I'm not saying the 3DS is a success or failure, its too early to tell by far. But if Nintendo felt that it was, that it was not an avenue to anything even resembling DS-level success, doesn't it make business sense to cut losses and run?

A 3DS redesign, rebrand and relaunch makes sense to me as a consumer, as I'm completely unconvinced by the current product. Its too early to say whether it makes business sense for Nintendo though, as its yet to be seen if the current product can gain more substantial momentum.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Futureman said:
Where did the Andrex part about it being for internal use only come from?

Speculation on my part. I contend the add-on is for devkits so that developers can get a leg up on the redesign next year. The add-on isn't meant for consumers.

If this is true, which I say has a 10% likelihood.

InsaneZero said:
Also, I agree with the average sane sentiment that this is most likely a leak plugging if anything else.

Or that someone at 01net is gullible and is getting his chain yanked by a bullshit "source."

Branduil

Mama Robotnik said:

If something is, or looks like it is going ot be a failure, doesn't it make sense to admit it as soon as possible, consolidate your losses and move on to more successful ventures?

I'm not saying the 3DS is a success or failure, its too early to tell by far. But if Nintendo felt that it was, that it was not an avenue to anything even resembling DS-level success, doesn't it make business sense to cut losses and run?

A 3DS redesign, rebrand and relaunch makes sense to me as a consumer, as I'm completely unconvinced by the current product. I'd love it. Its too early to say whether it makes business sense for Nintendo though, as its yet to be seen if the current product can gain more substantial momentum.
The question is, what do you do with the people who supported your "failure" and are now stuck with a gimped system?

Zafir

Littlegator said:
There were problems with day-1 GBA and DS?

Weird, mine are still running fine.
My reletively near launch GBA still works fine. The only problem is the battery cover is broken, celotape fixes that though.

My pre-launch DS(Got it with the EU Club Nintendo Offer) however doesn't work. It lasted a bit over 2 years. The touch screen started going funny, first it just had pink outlines of what was on the top screen over the top of the picture, now it doesn't show anything at all on the bottom screen.

The article sounds too melodramatic to be true, but I guess I'll find out next year. I'm not going to buy the 3DS until the first revision hits anyway.

Instro

Not really a big deal but I believe it was gameinformer who had the first scoop on the WiiU. 01net came a day later.

Anyway with such a large pricecut I wouldn't exactly be surprised by an early redesign, but I have hard time believing the bit about a 2nd analog. It's lucky for Nintendo that they launched the 3DS so far ahead of the Vita, because its given them so much time to make choices like this.

seady said:
Odds for Nintendo NOT supporting their peripheral: 100%.

No matter how suck or how super successful their peripheral is, they will barely support it after it launched- look at how many Wii Motion + and Wii Board out there and how little they care.
If the revision has a second analog nub, then the peripheral will probably be for the purpose of providing backwards compatibility. I'm sort of given to believing that by rebranding the revision, it won't be necessary to re-imburse existing owners of the 3DS.

So, you end up with "pure" 3DS titles that don't support the 2nd nub and the titles that do support the 2nd nub which will require that peripheral or the revision.

In my dream world this revision will also be 2D only and its games will all be region free.

Busaiku

Grisby said:
Well, I was kinda looping all of the gameboys together too (except for advanced since that was more powerful).
Even with Color, that's only 3 (including the Japan only Gameboy Light).

Mama Robotnik said:

A 3DS redesign, rebrand and relaunch makes sense to me as a consumer, as I'm completely unconvinced by the current product. I'd love it. Its too early to say whether it makes business sense for Nintendo though, as its yet to be seen if the current product can gain more substantial momentum.

I have said before they'd be very likely to quickly cut their losses if they couldn't succeed with the 3DS, but I was talking about a new product in a few years rather than a swift rebrand with added stick.

I can totally believe the report is an option they're looking at, but it might all depend on how the current system performs for the rest of the year.

mr stroke

DoomXploder7 said:
You know I'm a big Nintendo fan but I'd have to say i'd feel just like you if this happened (except the never buying another nintendo hardware thing would be an empty threat on my part) . If this happens this would officially become the worst handled hardware release of all time, ALL TIME. Price drop i can accept, even releasing the red colored one I wanted is stomach-able but this........:|. Though my belief in this happening is close to absolute 0.

you guys act like Nintendo has never failed and bailed out of a handheld before

E8ouI.jpg

watershed

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Or that someone at 01net is gullible and is getting his chain yanked by a bullshit "source."
Just think about what amazing inside info parts 2, 3, 4, and 5 will bring! Iwata resigning? Miyamoto retiring out of shame? Kondo being made president?!

tim.mbp

RandomVince said:
seriously, who the hell thinks this rumour has even a grain of truth to it. Burnt porks dick is safe.

Nintendo has to be looking at contingency plans if the 3DS doesn't sell this holiday and Vita ends up selling like hotcakes.

legacyzero

Banned
Just redo the 3DS to not include "3D", place a second Analog Stick IN THE FUCKING CONSOLE, not as a peripheral, and use what's left for more processing power. Just say Fuck 3D all together and stick to what your good at.

EDIT: Oh, and bigger screens, maybe?

BooJoh

As an "Ambassador" I would really not be happy with this unless at the very least I get the right analog add-on free. I'm used to buying revisions of Nintendo handhelds every 2 years, but 1 year or less is just ridiculous.

It would also be pretty bad for them to release a revision with a right analog and not put out a peripheral for the existing 3DS, since that would split the market between 3DS and the revision.

I honestly hope this is all just false rumors, because Nintendo's peripherals have never gotten that much support anyway, and they can only backpedal on the 3DS so far before the whole situation just devolves into some bizarre self-parody.

I'm happy with my 3DS, and I know I'll be buying a revision one day, but I'd rather it not be for another couple years.

Effect

Just going to repost what I said in the other thread and add some more.

Nintendo loves their attachments but there is just no place to connect something like this. Nintendo wouldn't come out with a new model that included one because that would be a PR disaster. Something that clearly don't want with how they've tried to cut off any negativity with the price drop by coming up with the Ambassador program. Going with a new model that had a new control scheme or launching a new model under a new name would fly in the face of what they've just did. It would kill any good well or more importantly trust making the Wii U an even harder sell. You could forget about early adopters going for a new model or even the Wii U at that point. People would truly feel screwed over by Nintendo, never to trust them for a long time. They've already seen they can't just do anything, slap the Nintendo name on it, and expect it to sell. This, if true, would simply hurt them long term.

Now if they give this out for free to everyone that calls in and gives them their serial number. who doesn't own a model with this made. Maybe this works but that is a huge maybe.

In the end I find it hard to believe. This would be a disaster for Nintendo.

Boney

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I'm surprised nobody posted the Fire Emblem 3DS rumor.
It made me giddy when I saw it, seeing they're returning to Lin's universe, and with 2 games at that.

Then I remember that until they rework the level up system I'm done with the franchise.

Top Bottom