• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS DragonBall Kai RPG Trailer

I'm not really sure if that game will be much fun to play, but man is it ever gorgeous. It's so vibrant and colorful. Very nice.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looks like they're going to drag out the storyline yet again over a couple of games, but that looks really nice with the style of graphical style I'd want to see more out of the DS. Looks better than most of the RPGs for the system. o_O

knkng

If the game contains filler characters, then why are they calling it DragonBall Kai? Shouldn't it be DragonBall Z?

legend166

Nintendo is making a DragonBall Z game?

That's....odd, isn't it?

Anyway, the only DBZ RPG I enjoyed was that card RPG on the SNES. When I was going through my "holy crap I love DBZ how awesome is it" about 8 years ago when I was 12, I was desperate to play any DBZ game. So I played that one, with an english fan translation, on a SNES emulator. It was too hard, so I had to use cheats. I think I beat it two times. Game was crazy.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The last time the people of Monolith Soft worked with Toriyama material, they made Chrono Trigger. It reminds me a little of that somehow.

Tenbatsu

Wonder if it can top this
dbz2title.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
With Dragonball Kai being essentially a slightly updated DBZ without the fillers, you'd expect the game to follow the core plot of the whole DBZ series without additions.
Instead, they seem to focus on the very first part, with tons of filler content, probably because (I think?) the Saiyan saga is still airing in Japan. Understandable, yet so disappointing :/

knkng said:
If the game contains filler characters, then why are they calling it DragonBall Kai? Shouldn't it be DragonBall Z?
Marketing, the series is being aired as DB Kai.

Kintaro said:
Looks like they're going to drag out the storyline yet again over a couple of games
Kind of, but probably not by choice. The game is being released with the re-release of DBZ (edited and HD), which as of now, plans to only redo the Saiyajin Saga.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ShockingAlberto said:
The game is being released with the re-release of DBZ (edited and HD), which as of now, plans to only redo the Saiyajin Saga.
Didn't know that. I thought the whole series was planned from the beginning.

neo2046

rpmurphy said:
Looks promising. This just covers the Saiyan saga right?
no idea

knkng said:

DragonBall Kai is the "renewed version" DragonBall Z
The anime will squeeze 290 chapters into 100 chapters,
the screens will also be digitally re-colored and scaled in 16:9
It will be started from April 2009

legend166 said:
Nintendo is making a DragonBall Z game?

That's....odd, isn't it?

oh yes, you remind me
Nintendo has bought Monolith Soft
but I think Nintendo doesn't own the company 100%
and the game is published by Bandai Namco not Nintendo

Jocchan said:
Didn't know that. I thought the whole series was planned from the beginning.
Not from what I've heard. Apparently even getting to the end of the Freiza saga is optimistic.

I suppose it depends on whether DVD sales from this are as good as they hope.

So sick of the same story. Somebody mentioned they might be doing a Kai movie with an original plot, or were they talking about this game?

How many times can you retell the same story. Its pathetic.

Kintaro

SecretBonusPoint said:
So sick of the same story. Somebody mentioned they might be doing a Kai movie with an original plot, or were they talking about this game?

How many times can you retell the same story. Its pathetic.

Well, lets ask Square Enix. :lol

Alex

First I've ever heard about Kai not doing the entire series. Last I heard they already planned on cutting the 276 into a little over 100 in order to remove all the filler, speed up the pacing and mirror the comic.

I dont think anyone wants an original story again, thats why they keep going back to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, so they can do the Toriyama written stuff rather than the horrible movies or GT.

I've never played a Dragon Ball game, I might have to try this out, looks really nice.

knkng

neo2046 said:
DragonBall Kai is the "renewed version" DragonBall Z
The anime will squeeze 290 chapters into 100 chapters,
the screens will also be digitally re-colored and scaled in 16:9
It will be started from April 2009
That's my point. DragonBall Kai won't have the anime filler. So why does a game called DragonBall Kai have Haiya Dragon in it, a character that won't ever appear in the series?

But yeah, I know, marketing and all that. All future "Z" products will be known as "Kai" from now on. It's just weird. Either way, the game actually looks pretty sweet so far. Maybe this will be the DragonBall game I actually buy.

neo2046

knkng said:
That's my point. DragonBall Kai won't have the anime filler. So why does a game called DragonBall Kai have Haiya Dragon in it, a character that won't ever appear in the series?

But yeah, I know, marketing and all that. All future "Z" products will be known as "Kai" from now on. It's just weird. Either way, the game actually looks pretty sweet so far. Maybe this will be the DragonBall game I actually buy.
maybe there are some flashback scenes ?

duckroll

After OG Saga, I will no longer buy Monolithsoft games blindly. This looks like it's by the same team, so I think it'll be better if I don't buy it, period.

knkng

neo2046 said:
maybe there are some flashback scenes ?
No, the filler characters are from Z, but will be edited out of Kai. But whatever, the scenes I'm talking about are from the original content of the game anyways. It looks like after Goku dies has some bonus quest or something, fighting enemies from the original series (probably in Hell).

The overworld looks Baten Kaitos-ish. The combat system is closer in style to NxC/SRW Frontier though. Could be a combination of a bunch of different Monolith teams.

I have been waiting for something on this, I'm soooooo hyped. This looks like the first good rpg for the Dragonball franchise...

The game takes place from before the Piccolo jr. fight in Dragonball, and ends after the sayin saga in DBZ. You can see all ready in the trailer that they are looking for that big fan that Goku and Chichi needed for the end of Dragonball in that volcano, but I'm curious as to why Hiya dragon is there?

Anyways, very hyped.....lets hope it's competent.:D

thaOwner

Hmm, can't say I got excited after watching the video. It's almost like Supersonic warriors with an added story line.
Why can't they make an action rpg like Legacy of Goku I & II ? That is the best DBZ game I have played to date
even though you could predict what was coming if you've watched the anime.

Wait, they're remaking DBZ in HD without all the shitty filler, so that it follows the manga?

That's better news than this.

DiddyBop

its funny how we've been playing the same dbz storylines in games for like 20 years now,and we still get hyped over the release of new games. jst goes to show that dbz is one of the best animes ever, if only for its staying power.

Kintaro

EmCeeGramr said:
Wait, they're remaking DBZ in HD without all the shitty filler, so that it follows the manga?

That's better news than this.

Remaking is a misnomer here. They're redoing some stuff and re-dubbing it. It'll have a new opening and closing themes, but the footage is reframed/cropped and remastered in HD and edited to cut filler. We'll see how it goes though. It's like a more careful FUNimation hack job.

I don't see why they just don't go ahead with a full on remake with the cleaner designs seen in the Buu saga and start over, but whatever.

As for filler in the RPG...gotta keep people playing. Otherwise it would be a very, very short RPG.

Teknoman

Cataferal said:
The last time the people of Monolith Soft worked with Toriyama material, they made Chrono Trigger. It reminds me a little of that somehow.

The way the overworld areas look reminds me of Chrono Trigger.

MoogPaul

Monolith, turn based, combo attacks
combo attacks!
interest peak

rpmurphy said:
Looks promising. This just covers the Saiyan saga right?

Now, it's been a good 8 or so years since I've seen it, but if Gohan is a playable character, I'd assume it would encompass more than just the Saiyan Saga. Pretty sure he doesn't become "active" until Frieza.

Snaku

Banned
Looks awesome. Some really gorgeous background art, and the battle system looks really fun. :lol @ Haiya Dragon summon.

Top Bottom