• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

Cornbread78

lYoEsRT.jpg

Initial release date: July 7, 2000 (PS1)
* PS4 version available immediately
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Writer(s): Hironobu Sakaguchi
Designers: Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Amano, MORE
Platforms: Android, PlayStation, iOS, Microsoft Windows

Original Boxart:
mm2lL3f.jpg

NA PSN Link
*on sale for $16.79 until September 26, when it reverts to its normal $20.99 price
Steam Link

Features:
This PS4 version is an enhanced version of Final Fantasy IX that includes HD cutscene video, trophy support and boosters to help players level and master weapons faster. When you purchase the game on PSN, it also includes a PS4 theme and a set of player icons.(The FINAL FANTASY® IX Digital Edition includes the original custom theme designed by Toshiyuki Itahana and eight key characters avatars)

General Gameplay Features:
・Abilities:
Learn new abilities by equipping items. When fully mastered,these abilities can be used even without equipping items,allowing for nearly endless customization options.
・Trance:
Fill your Trance gauge as you sustain hits in battle. When fully charged, your characters will enter Trance mode, granting them powerful new skills!
・Synthesis:
Never let items go to waste. Combine two items or pieces of equipment together and make better, stronger items!
・Minigames:
Whether it's Chocobo Hot and Cold, Jump Rope, or Tetra Master, there are plenty of minigames to enjoy when you're not off saving the world. You can even earn special item rewards!

Story
Zidane and the Tantalus Theater Troupe have kidnapped Princess Garnet, the heir of Alexandria. To their surprise, however, the princess herself yearned to escape the castle.
Through a series of unusual circumstances, she and her personal guard, Steiner, fall in with Zidane and set out on an incredible journey. Meeting unforgettable characters like Vivi, who arrived to watch their performance but is at a loss when he realizes that he only has a forged ticket, as well as Quina along the way, they learn about themselves, the secrets of the Crystal, and a malevolent force that threatens to destroy their world

Party Characters
qoCl61J.png

Screens:

Other Info:
Launch Trailer
NeoGAF PC/Android OT
PSN Profiles Trophy List LOLOLOL
FFIX Walkthrough (GameFAQs)

4DvNP3g.jpg

While not great, I spent a couple hours putting this all together in a rush. It very much deserves it's own thread and hopefully those that have not purchased it on PS1/Vita/PS3/Mobile/PC give it a hot on PS4!

*Special Note*
This game is 17 years old and some of you might not have even been born yet when it was first released. What does that mean? Use spoiler tags!!!!

Thanks Scotia for the title. Let me know if anything needs to be changed or updated, God knows, I make mistakes all the freakin' time!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What... what happened to the fonts :(?

First time player and absolutely in love with it so far.

And thanks for reminding people to use spoiler tags - was sad to get spoiled in the other thread.

That's a really nice OT for a re-release. Probably put more care into the OT than Square did for the PS4 port

Still totally worth getting if this is your only option to play it! Let that be crystal clear :)

It's the best FF and just the best in general

sotojuan

I played for about two hours last night. I made it to the
Ice Cave and about the fight the boss there
. I am really enjoying the game but the ATB bars fill very slowly.

Maybe it's because I was just playing FFIV but the ATB bars in that game set to the slowest setting for battle speed is about how much the fastest battle speed is in FFIX. I can only bear it for bosses since I don't like to rush those battles. Otherwise I have to turn on speedup which is a bit too fast for my liking outside of grinding.

Scotia

Banned
Oh wow, thanks for using my idea for the title. Nice OT!

Currently on disc 2 and remembering why I love this game so much.

It does, and they didn't. It's the only thing holding me back from buying this, but I will probably do it anyway because of the theme.
Why does this keep happening????? It didn't happen when played on 23 year old PS1 hardware and it doesn't happen on PC but why on PS4 and why don't they bother to fix that????

sotojuan

Are battles faster in this version? It was my favorite but that was my one gripe.

They still feel slow if you compare them to other FFs but they are probably a bit faster.

You can turn off the battle intro animation for most battles and you can set the camera as fixed to speed things up a bit, but otherwise, the ATB bars take forever to fill. 2x speed mode helps but then you might not have time to strategize on tougher fights. It's also very hard to control Zidane in the dungeons when going that fast.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.

Are battles faster in this version? It was my favorite but that was my one gripe.

It has fast forward where the entire game speeds up, but at natural speed the battles are the same speed as the PS1 version and the same frame rate (15fps) because in-game logic is tied to the frame rate, so boosting the frame rate breaks the game. This is different from FF7 on PS4, where they did actually up the battles to 60fps which made them much snappier.

kromeo

I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.

I can feel the enhancement

I played for about two hours last night. I made it to the
Ice Cave and about the fight the boss there
. I am really enjoying the game but the ATB bars fill very slowly.

Maybe it's because I was just playing FFIV but the ATB bars in that game set to the slowest setting for battle speed is about how much the fastest battle speed is in FFIX. I can only bear it for bosses since I don't like to rush those battles. Otherwise I have to turn on speedup which is a bit too fast for my liking outside of grinding.

Probably the single largest complaint to be had for the game is the battle speed. Abilities later in the game help a lot, but it takes a little bit to get there. I do wish they had multiple speed options, like the XII remaster, as I agree, the speed up option is a bit too fast at times.

Rival

Gold Member
I'm going to dive into this game next after I finish ff12. I never got much further than the beginning of disc 2 back in the ps one days.

-NeoTB1-

We had a small discussion about this very guide in the other FFIX topic. Let's just say that most people don't hold very high opinions of it...

:p

Looking forward to plaything through this again, but I am curious if they add cheat support akin to FFVII's port. You know, Triple Speed, Max HP/MP, No Encounters, etc etc.

Regardless, still one of the most emotionally resonant Final Fantasy games in the whole series. Love the cast, the world, the story. While it was a chore to play at times, in my youth, with all the time in the world, I had an incredible time finding Chocographs, defeating Ozma, and just enjoying it's wonderful OST.

While I do enjoy obtaining Platinum Trophies for games I love, this one seems too excessive. Maybe if I find an exploit I'll attempt to obtain all the trophies, but I don't want that to dilute the sublime experience of just experiencing the journey into each character's perspective that is FFIX.

FFVIII PORT WHEN?!!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Play Online was the worst. Here buy this guide, but hey you need to go online to actually look at anything that is worth checking. FU!

I still have my guide on my shelf. I remember trying to use Play Online back in the day and not feeling like I gained any knowledge from it. Everything about that guide (even the external resources) were hot hot garbage. At least it's a fantastic conversation piece!

Also, really excited to play IX again. I will make a point to pick it up after I get back from vacation. I never did get as far as fighting the super boss, but I've heard good things about the difficulty on that fight.

I kind of regret purchasing this so far. Garbage and impossible trophies + awkward implementation of the cheats. I'm only interested in the fast forward functionality but it's way too fucking fast, there's just no middle ground, and you can't toggle it on and off with a simple button press. FF7 and 12 did it much better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game starts out so much stronger than it ends. Such a wet fart of an ending.

Ok, the last boss is poor but come on .. that's way too harsh.

FFIX has a very tried and tested ending, no last-minute twists but it sill pulls it off so well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How can people already have
Excalibur II
according to the trophy list? Is there an in-game menu to gift yourself that shit?

adamsapple

How can people already have
Excalibur II
according to the trophy list? Is there an in-game menu to gift yourself that shit?

By using the in-game modifiers. Speed up + No encounters + 9999 damage for bosses.

I can see people doing this very easily within a few hours if they're just running through the story.

A couple of months ago I decided that I am going to try and get the platinum trophy for every non-MMO Final Fantasy game.

I am now regretting that decision.

kromeo

This game starts out so much stronger than it ends. Such a wet fart of an ending.

The actual ending itself sucks but the last section of the game is quite good I thought after a lull in the third disk

The first 2 disks are by far the stronger half of the game, and I think all 3 of the ps1 games follow that pattern

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
By using the in-game modifiers. Speed up + No encounters + 9999 damage for bosses.

I can see people doing this very easily within a few hours if they're just running through the story.

Wait...Is 9999 damage for bosses a cheat? I know XII added speed-up, but did it also add in-game cheats and such?

E: I see they added boosters and stuff to speed shit up. That seems odd. Why remove part of the RPG experience? The game isn't THAT long nor is it that monotonous from what I remember.

Anoxida

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

GBzVnEJ.gif

adamsapple

Wait...Is 9999 damage for bosses a cheat? I know XII added speed-up, but did it also add in-game cheats and such?

Yeah, this is a port of the recent Steam release. These versions of the game come with built in "Boosters" that you can toggle on/off.

High speed
Battle Assistance (immediate / full trance gauge at all times)
9999 Attack Damage
No Enemy Encounters
Master All Abilities
Level and Magic Stones Max
Max Gil

Scotia

Banned
Why remove part of the RPG experience? The game isn't THAT long nor is it that monotonous from what I remember.

Can't speak for everyone obviously, but as someone that's beaten the game a couple of times I'm using the cheats and boosters because I just want to glide through the story and not have to worry about being under-leveled or grinding. I'm just having fun, not looking for a challenge I've already done a couple of times already.

Top Bottom