• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

JdFoX187 said:
Fewer Zelda-style games on the market compared to action games, especially with Bayonetta coming out at the same time.

Yeah but when you try to break it down in that essense, its like. Bayonetta is more like the DMC series in ways. Though it has GOW characteristics.

Then you have Dantes which is straight up GOW like.

Then Darksiders thats like a mixture of em all but with Zelda.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Darksiders very much. Though I still highly awaiting Bayonetta and Dante's as well. Then again I played all three at Comic-con in July and decided then and there I was going to pick up all of them when released.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Though one has to wonder... why?

So a game is looked at like GOW clone and eyes roll. Game is looked at as Zelda clone and is applauded. NO MAKE A DA SENSE!:lol

Early next year alone we have Bayonetta, God of War 3 and Dante's Inferno. And while there are differences, the public generally sees them as being in the same genre as they're all heavily driven by combat. And already this generation we've had Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Conan, Heavenly Sword ect. So that genre has been done a lot already. How many games out there are similar to Zelda this gen? Not too many. Especially on the HD consoles.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:
Dark Void would like a word with you.

Anyway the biggest hurdle this game has to clear is word getting out that it's not a GoW/DMC/NG ect. clone. I think when people look at it that's what they automatically think and they just roll their eyes and continue looking at other games. The reviews will do it a lot of good as they seem to be making it clear that it has a lot more in common with Zelda than it does with GoW.

Darkvoid IS unmarketable. Darksiders is not.

Only thing that plays against Darksiders outside of poor marketing is the camera's distance and the old-school animations (something important for getting a mainstream crowd into buying the game, basically imagine Gears of War-like cam).

george_us

This game looks pretty cool but oh god why are there so many games coming out in January? There's this, Dark Void, and Mass Effect 2 to finish out the month. Hopefully I'll have some leftover Christmas monies.:(

Arde5643

Ether_Snake said:
Darkvoid IS unmarketable. Darksiders is not.

Only thing that plays against Darksiders outside of poor marketing is the camera's distance and the old-school animations (something important for getting a mainstream crowd into buying the game, basically imagine Gears of War-like cam).
Gears of War cam doesn't work in Zelda-like gameplay, although for the trailers I guess they can trick people into thinking it's a DMC/God of War style game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Caspel said:
They are hoping to cash in on the Jan 2-6th Christmas return spree.

The game is entertaining, that much is for sure. My review will be going live next week.

Give us a ballpark figure of the score. Something that is say .2 away give or take. Ballpark.

KevinCow

Banned
HiResDes said:
Will be picking up day one barring it doesn't get terrible reviews (as in 6's and under).

I know the game isn't all about combat, but can anyone offer a more detailed description of it. Is it simply a button mashing fest ala God of War?

From what I've seen and heard, button mashing ala God of War works decently well, but you're also given the tools to do more complex combos and stuff.

Your sword is always on X, Y has a secondary weapon such as Death's scythe, and RT has a gear item such as the gun or the giant shuriken/boomerang thing. The d-pad works as four quick access items so you can, say, switch between the gun and shuriken in the middle of a combo if you want. LT is a lock-on like Zelda or DMC (it seems you can do similar attacks as DMC, like holding away and pressing X will knock the enemy into the air), LB plus a face button does different magic attacks, and RB blocks and dodges.

It sounds like you can pretty much get through most encounters by mashing X and Y and blocking and dodging here and there, but you can also try to rack up bigger combos and get rewarded for it in more souls.

Smokey

And 2010 starts off with a BANG!

Can't wait for this game. Didn't know what this was until a few weeks ago actually. I watched the 30 minute walkthrough at IGN and was sold. Looks to have a lot of nice elements to it. The art direction is nice and it appears to be in the sweet spot of 15-20 hours.

I'm excited for this. Darksiders and Bayonetta on the same day?!?!

Crazyness!

ZealousD said:

Nice. A lot of different places to visit. Looking at some of the pics of the environments, I think I'm really going to enjoy this game.

Will probably get this on the PS3 as long as there aren't any major differences.

stuminus3

Wow, this one has taken me by surprise. I have to admit, I thought it was just some generic sounding action game, but if it really is Zelda-esque and it's as good as early impressions seem to say then colour me interested. Zelda is a game that is curiously lacking in clones.

Yackie

This is the first time I recall hearing about this game, or maybe its just the first time I've taken notice. Anyway, it sounds awesome...maybe too awesome. The descriptions sound too good to be true. I love me some Zelda and action adventure games so here's hoping it holds up to the hype here. I'll be following this game more closely now for sure.

alba

Little is the new Big
Same here, took me by surprise and somehow interests me, not sure I'm gonna wait a little i think :)

HiResDes

KevinCow said:
From what I've seen and heard, button mashing ala God of War works decently well, but you're also given the tools to do more complex combos and stuff.

Your sword is always on X, Y has a secondary weapon such as Death's scythe, and RT has a gear item such as the gun or the giant shuriken/boomerang thing. The d-pad works as four quick access items so you can, say, switch between the gun and shuriken in the middle of a combo if you want. LT is a lock-on like Zelda or DMC (it seems you can do similar attacks as DMC, like holding away and pressing X will knock the enemy into the air), LB plus a face button does different magic attacks, and RB blocks and dodges.

It sounds like you can pretty much get through most encounters by mashing X and Y and blocking and dodging here and there, but you can also try to rack up bigger combos and get rewarded for it in more souls.
Thanks a bunch, nice detailed description...Sounds like its going to be right up my ally.

Canova

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'm gonna be happier than a pig in shit switching between this and Bayonetta come the 5th.

yup me too

Darksiders on PS3
Bayonetta on 360

all I have to do is to flip the channel to switch between the 2 games, how awesome is that!!!

DieH@rd

Banned
ZealousD said:
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Batman was more slow-paced and was nothing to write home about in terms of bosses or puzzles.

But every time you found a new gadget, it opened a lot of new areas for you. That was my main point.

Smokey

canova said:
yup me too

Darksiders on PS3
Bayonetta on 360

all I have to do is to flip the channel to switch between the 2 games, how awesome is that!!!

This is my plan too.

Except I'll be gameflying both games. No money :/

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I went to GameCrazy today to buy my nephew a SpongeBob video game and the clerks at the store are pushing Darksiders for preorders. After being pushy with the pre-order, even with telling him I didn't want it nor did i need it, I asked "What is the trade-in price? I could give you a copy of the game right now."

Well turns out they are only giving $27 for the title lol. It amazes me how much the price drops after it is opened. Buy the game for $60, and once you open it, it's only worth $27.

batbeg

I'm kind of surprised at people saying the game has no marketing. It has had a huge internet presence, given priority at trade shows and in magazines, and has been advertised on Adult Swim since November

The real problem is the marketing direction sucked in showing off the game.

And YES this thread turned out fantastic, you did a superb job man. Can not WAIT until Tue 5th!

Enigma777

Banned
Great thread! This game needs more exposure! I've been doing all I can to hype it up on my end, but the going has been slow...

The 5th is my birthday and I asked the wife to get this for me after reading this thread. She was getting Bayonetta for her self.

I am waaay more interested in this game than any others for january. Give me this, then god of war 3 a few months down the road and im happy for a long time.

Vorador

Banned
Caspel said:
Well turns out they are only giving $27 for the title lol. It amazes me how much the price drops after it is opened. Buy the game for $60, and once you open it, it's only worth $27.

And afterwards selling it for like 45~50 bucks. That's were retail chains make their bread and butter, they get a really high benefit.

TreIII

I'll admit. This game really wasn't on my radar screen for a good, long while. A "certain other game" that came out in Japan back around October was occupying my attention. :lol

But now, seeing all this, I'll admit, I'm interested. It looks like it could be the "Soul Reaver" of our generation.

2010's gonna start hitting my wallet sooner than expected....

Firestorm

Not really a pre-order bonus, but if you pre-order at Eb Games Canada you can trade it in for a full refund within 7 days.

bathala

Banned
nvm here's the figurine pix

pre_darksiders.jpg

JdFoX187

Banned
Eh fuck it, broke down and preordered the Xbox 360 version along with Bayonetta and Dark Void. Combine that with Army of Two: 40th Day AND Mass Effect 2 and sweet jesus, January is already more stacked than the entire Fall.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Much better OP then that last *ahem* job on that other game...

Actually really looking forward to this game. Bayonetta will rock but this just seems like another type of game, and it looks like a lot of fun.

I'm starting to get even more giddy in anticipation for this game than I had been before. Though I'm still undecided on whether to pick this up for PS3 or 360... Dammit.

KevinCow

Banned
batbeg said:
I'm kind of surprised at people saying the game has no marketing. It has had a huge internet presence, given priority at trade shows and in magazines, and has been advertised on Adult Swim since November

The real problem is the marketing direction sucked in showing off the game.

And YES this thread turned out fantastic, you did a superb job man. Can not WAIT until Tue 5th!

From this thread alone you can see that the game has a bit of a mindshare problem. Regardless of what they may have been doing to promote it, a lot of people just don't know about it. Compare to Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno, which are also new IPs, feature some similar gameplay to Darksiders, and are coming out in the same timeframe. Everyone knows about them.

I expect this thread to get a bit of a slow start, but to be bumped constantly throughout the next year with "LttP but this rocks" and "I randomly decided to click on this thread and this game actually sounds awesome" posts.

I've been following this game for several years now, I'm glad I'm finally getting to play! Day one purchase for me.

Also, Amazon posted a pic of the War avatar costume:
darksiders_360_avatars.jpg

Canova

Banned
I just hope some retailers break the street date for this game like they do with Bayonetta. I really want to get my hands on this game during the holiday

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks guys for all the kind words on the OP! Even though I intentionally didn't go BruceLeeRoy crazy, I spent more time on this than I probably should have. :lol

Captain N

I like the OP and it has got me more pumped for the game than I have been before now. My problem with the game is the animation..not sure if I'm a fan.

Top Bottom