• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

For both IS and SWAT, one of which was 2v2 for half of the game, the spawns are completely broken. I would spawn at maybe 3 places on the entire map, ever. Both biggy and I got multikills on people who spawned in the exact same place we killed them. Biggy's was during SWAT in the rock garden thing where the enemy spawned like 20 feet away and mine was IS where I killed a guy grabbing the snipe off of its spawn and then killed him again right below it 2 seconds later.

Very, very, very, few times did spawns put you in a safe place when it was 4v4 though.

Also, Despair has what I consider to be an actually good map design with interesting flow that is totally negated by jetpack. Also, the forge pieces are often hard to distinguish and will blend together sometimes to where I thought there was a solid wall but it was a hallway blending in with the same puke color as the wall it was attached to.

Very much like Simplex. Timed Overshield is so refreshing.

Garrotte is pretty hectic for IS. I like most of the design though.

Didn't play Shutout.

Only got to play IS and SWAT last night, CTF never came up. These were my impressions.

Add to this that we played a little bit of Relay, but the middle still feels too useless to me. That MLG variant (I forget the name) with the tower structure in the middle plays much better.

Team Classic playlist:

-4v4 Team Slayer

-Forge Remakes from Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo:Reach, built to scale for Halo 4 mechanics and the following settings:

-No Sprint and no Armor Abilities

-No Global Ordnance and no Personal Ordnance

-No instant respawn, timed respawns

-Static, timed weapon spawns, best emulating original weapon sets on map

-Solitary starting loadouts that are game-appropriate (e.g. CE/Reach have DMR starts, 2/3 have BR starts)

-First to 50 kills wins

I'd spend so many hours in this playlist...thoughts on adding the grenade 'resupply' perk to the loadouts?

TCKaos

I think my Halo 2 hoodie gives me super powered donging abilities. I've been doing great these last few games.

Also enjoying the balls off of these Forge maps. Good shit in there.

Gordon

Wow - I gotta say, I'm really surprised at how well the community maps are handling Infinity Slayer. They're actually performing better than the default maps IMO. The power weapons actually feel somewhat less common than DMRs. I can't believe they let non-ordnance drops stay. This gives me some hope... lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
AAs are essentially an updated version of Equipment from H3.

How? They're much more pervasive than equipment. Turning invincible or invisible whenever you like is far different from an occasional active camo or overshield pickup. Jetpacking over enemies every encounter is incomparable to a grav lift. AAs like Promethean Vision are far more powerful than flares or mines, or anything in Halo 3 for that matter.

Even worse, you spawn with all of these. No timing of when pickups are available, no fight for them, just spawn and there you go.

Then you have the tactical packages and support upgrades...

RoKKeR

Wow - I gotta say, I'm really surprised at how well the community maps are handling Infinity Slayer. They're actually performing better than the default maps IMO. The power weapons actually feel somewhat less common than DMRs. I can't believe they let non-ordnance drops stay. This gives me some hope... lol
I actually had the opposite experience on Scythe today. Maybe it was just a bad game, but the enemy team had a Splaser, Rocket Launcher, Railgun, Binary Rifle, and a Sniper Rifle all at the same time and it continued for quite a while. Between personal ordinance and non-ordinance drops it was a mess of power weapons.

Perhaps just a bad game, but on a 4v4 map it was hell.

Karl2177

How? They're much more pervasive than equipment. Turning invincible or invisible whenever you like is far different from an occasional active camo or overshield pickup. Jetpacking over enemies every encounter is incomparable to a grav lift. AAs like Promethean Vision are far more powerful than flares or mines, or anything in Halo 3 for that matter.

Then you have the tactical packages and support upgrades...

Because they are an active ability tied to a button, that's how they are an upgraded version of equipment. They do have a very similar basic function to equipment, with the only thing making them different is that they can be reused. How they interplay with other elements of the sandbox is a bit different(and that difference is why I don't like them), but it still stands that they are an "upgrade" to equipment.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
love on shutout that the grav lift can be heard from anywhere on the map. playing swat is like shooting skeet.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I get that they're an extension of equipment because of what they do, but their implementation and effects are much different.

LosDaddie

Banned
Its a direct extension of the concept. The problem with equipment is that is wasn't being used. It was being saved up and lost upon death.

By making equipment persistent, and with cooldowns, players experiment with them more and use those abilities more often.

Because they are an active ability tied to a button, that's how they are an upgraded version of equipment. They do have a very similar basic function to equipment, with the only thing making them different is that they can be reused. How they interplay with other elements of the sandbox is a bit different(and that difference is why I don't like them), but it still stands that they are an "upgrade" to equipment.

Beat me to it. Thanks, guys.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
About to hop on to play some Forge Test in 10 minutes if anyone wants to join me. Message me: TashiGAF

u4iX

Maybe they should have just let you spawn with equipment that was reusable on a longer recharge rate than AAs and had a faster despawn rate than AAs.

For instance, instead of the jet pack, you spawn with the deployable grav lift, you could drop it once for yourself to boost up to a position on the map, your teammates could also use this, but the enemies could as well.

Instead of the hard light shield, you spawn with a deployable cover, you can drop it once for yourself to be shielded from a rocket or spartan laser, your teammates could also use it for cover, but your enemies could as well. '

The regen field would work in a nearly identical way to Halo 4's, only it would despawn faster.

Autosentry could stay as well.

Maybe instead of thruster pack you spawn a "speed boost" field where your player strafes and moves at an increased rate, but has a deploy time similar to the regen field and auto sentry, but much shorter. You could also use the area speed boost to make longer jumps you would be unable to otherwise. Again, your teammates and enemies could use it.

Overshield and Active Camo would go back to power ups on the map just like Halo 3.

I think that's a more "natural" evolution of the equipment in Halo 3 than what we saw with AAs in Reach.

mhi

I like how it was Bungie themselves who said fuckit to the 'Halo Triangle'. They get no pass from me for setting that precedent with Reach.

Also according to 343i themselves 'No Sprint' is impossible, unless ur a scambag hacker that breaks the game engine. Its in the same manner as 1 Flag CTF.

FyreWulff

If anyone has a game on Relay they've played, please upload it to your FS then give me your gamertag.

Also, I guess it looks like we're stuck with the base map thumbnails :(

If anyone has a game on Relay they've played, please upload it to your FS then give me your gamertag.

Also, I guess it looks like we're stuck with the base map thumbnails :(

It's not great or interesting or gamebreaking (I was struggling to stay awake, actually), but I'll try to remember to do that when I get home. Just for you.

FyreWulff

I thought Bravo said it was possible to change.

I don't think they've ever outright confirmed or denied they have the function. I remembered it as it was intended, then cut for the user side, but they could still make thumbnails themselves. I asked about it directly once and never got a response.

Also lordy does the kill cam ever hate Forge maps

I thought Bravo said it was possible to change.

Does it not load the images from the disc. Wouldn't changing it require patching in either the ability to load an image along side the map file or the actually images.

Id love if they came out and said what would actually be required for some of these things to be done on a technical level.

Fuchsdh

Does it not load the images from the disc. Wouldn't changing it require patching in either the ability to load an image along side the map file or the actually images.

Id love if they came out and said what would actually be required for some of these things to be done on a technical level.

Would be awesome if it's feasible, definitely something I would put on a TU list for improving the game immensely by just adding recognition.

I completed this week's Spartan Ops and I have to say Escape is by far the best SpOps Mission. It was damn good. I wish every SpOps mission had such "in-game" cutscenes. Why does 343i not use the pop-up window to tell the story of Team Switchback? Etc.

I hope Spartan Ops will keep this quality.

After hearing people sing the praises of the new Spartan Ops I loaded up Halo 4 and tried out the new missions. What a disappointment. They're literally the exact same thing as the first five episodes: massive amounts of enemies with fuel rods, reinforcements, and drop pods every few minutes. There's no unique gameplay mechanics. They just plop you down in the middle of an environment and call it a day.

This is the best they can do with these missions? The sad thing is people will actually pay to play these missions if season two is ever released.

It's not great or interesting or gamebreaking (I was struggling to stay awake, actually), but I'll try to remember to do that when I get home. Just for you.

I bet you were trying really hard ;]

To the CC's:

Just had the most fun in a CTF match in that Forge playlist. Those settings should've been default day one.

Overall, loving the gameplay/settings so far, except the maps could use some atmosphere so they're more appealing. I could see players turning away from the playlist because everything looks so dull and similar (ie: Despair) even though the maps play pretty well. Give the illusion of setting instead of closing the entire map in Forge pieces.

I'll probably type out a more detailed response to the playlist later once I get familiar with everything. I'm usually doing 2389407234 things while casually playing this game, but overall good stuff! Definitely a great start and I'm already excited for future additions B]

Stopped by real quick to say that I'm glad the community playlist is having an overall good first appearance. Special thanks to all the new CCs that were added to the group, it is nice to actually have enough reliable CCs to hold playtests. The 20+ dedicated hours we put into the playtesting last weekend was well worth it.

As for framerate in splitscreen and personal ordnance having ridiculous power weapons... these are things that have been noted. :) Keep up with the feedback folks. ;) I'm jumping online to play some right now.

forge maps placed into matchmaking by CCs have crappy framerates? gg

daft_punk_thumbs_up_ok_gif.gif

FuturamaBigfootNod.gif

After hearing people sing the praises of the new Spartan Ops I loaded up Halo 4 and tried out the new missions. What a disappointment. They're literally the exact same thing as the first five episodes: massive amounts of enemies with fuel rods, reinforcements, and drop pods every few minutes. There's no unique gameplay mechanics. They just plop you down in the middle of an environment and call it a day.

This is the best they can do with these missions? The sad thing is people will actually pay to play these missions if season two is ever released.

The initial HaloGAF posts after an update always seem to be a bunch of people blown away by the developers and that Halo is now saved and Jesus is coming.

I'm going to go ahead and just guess though that SpOps is still terrible (I havent bothered playing any of it) and that MM is not saved in the least. In fact the Forge maps are probably going to fuck up MM in a few months if they are integrated.

The Spartan Ops Episode 6 is an improvement, period. No one who thought the first half of the season was poor was saying it was amazing, only that it is an improvement because it is. Reviews also benefit from lowered expectations, which are completely understandable. The chapters feel closer to campaign encounters, and the new environments are refreshing. If you don't like the Halo 4 campaign, or you're looking for something akin to Firefight modes of the past, you're not going to feel any benefit from the improved designs.

Madness

I have to say I really liked this weeks spartan ops and can't wait to see the final 4 weeks. Looks like David and the 343 team took the criticism to heart and will finish the season on a high note.

Forge playlist is also encouraging. While I'd never have thought camo and jetpack would be on lockout, I'm just glad we have a new set of maps to play on.

RdN

Wow.. The Crimson DLC already had a ridiculous amount of people playing. Now that it's in the bottom and off-screen, it's absolutely going to die.

Top Bottom