• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

Would someone be so nice and tell me if games will run properly on this laptop?

I have no idea what means what so I'll just C&P from the spec sheet :D

Processor
AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86 2.4 GHz

Memory
4096 MB, 2x 2048 DDR2 PC-6400 Samsung 6-6-6-18-24

Graphics adapter
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 - 512 MB, Core: 648 MHz, Memory: 999 MHz, GDDR3, 7.14.10.0618

TIA -

Kenka

Jay Sosa said:
Would someone be so nice and tell me if games will run properly on this laptop?

Theoretically yes. Nonetheless, you will most probably not get a decent experience. Your CPU is not exactly a warlord.

Clevinger

I'd just try it, if I were you. 2.4 ghz is pretty low, and even lower because it's AMD. I think you could run 2D games, but I don't know about 3D games.

I doubt my laptop would be powerful enough to run this but can someone tell how it might do?

ATI Radeon HD 5470

Intel Core i5 CPU, 2.40 Ghz

4GB RAM

I don't know if that paints a good enough picture of my setup. If it doesn't please tell me what else might help.

Thanks

Ledsen

CoffeeJanitor said:
I doubt my laptop would be powerful enough to run this but can someone tell how it might do?

ATI Radeon HD 5470

Intel Core i5 CPU, 2.40 Ghz

4GB RAM

I don't know if that paints a good enough picture of my setup. If it doesn't please tell me what else might help.

Thanks

I have a worse processor (i3) and a better graphics card (5650) and I can run Persona 3/4 without any problems if I enable speedhacks, so you should at least be able to run those.

Ledsen said:
I have a worse processor (i3) and a better graphics card (5650) and I can run Persona 3/4 without any problems if I enable speedhacks, so you should at least be able to run those.
Very cool, thanks for the heads up.

cross posting from the mac thread.

it's been a while since I tried this emulator, just wondering how optimized its been.

I'm considering one of the current lowest-end macbook pro which has these specs:

2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
320GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

the processor seems low...

of course, i'd run it in bootcamp.

Utako

Banned
Holy shit, how has nobody posted the news about the 0.9.8 release? That's what this thread is for! :)

It has been 2 years since our last stable release and today we (finally) bring you the newest stable release: 0.9.8!

BIG NEW FEATURES IN 0.9.8

We have a completely new GUI made with wxWidgets to make the whole user experience simpler and more user friendly, whilst providing us with a platform in which we can easily add new features.

This new GUI brings with it a much improved Linux support, as this is a completely cross platform user interface.

a new Memory Card manager, providing the flexibility to use customly named or downloaded cards with sizes of 8 to 64 megabytes.

Host file system and ELF loading support has been improved too.

Patches and compatibility hacks are now automatically applied by default. With this you don't have to sit there for ages playing around to find that 1 option that fixes your game; If we know about it, we've already set it!

many internal changes to improve our overall compatibility

the SPU2-X sound plugin, which has been worked on thoroughly to improve the sound generation, provide different audio output options and filtering, but also internal changes to improve the compatibility with games such as Burnout 3 which had never booted on any previous version of PCSX2!

In all we now have around 65% of all tested games marked as playable, and at least 85% get "ingame".
This means that over 1500 of the tested games are fully playable!

Full change log here: http://pcsx2.net/#i21539

Utako

Banned
Why are there two OTs for PCSX2?

The other thread is supposed to be for game settings only, which is largely unnecessary now.

[edit] Also, the release post in that thread is terrible.

Utako said:
Why are there two OTs for PCSX2?

The other thread is supposed to be for game settings only, which is largely unnecessary now.

[edit] Also, the release post in that thread is terrible.
What? No. This thread here sucks. It's super old and the OP doesn't provide any info. Someone should close this one.

Utako

Banned
Whichever thread has a lower density of "Will this run on my machine?" posts should stay open.

Seriously folks, why don't you try? And then tell us??

Utako said:
Whichever thread has a lower density of "Will this run on my machine?" posts should stay open.

Seriously folks, why don't you try? And then tell us??

i don't own the computer i was asking about.

which was:

2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
320GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Utako

Banned
Smision said:
i don't own the computer i was asking about.

which was:

2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
320GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
There is only one spec sheet for Dolphin/PCSX2 performance, which you would know by skimming the first 4000 times this was asked across 50 threads:

Minimum Requirements
3Ghz

Recommended Requirements
5Ghz (pretty much an overclocked i7 2600K)

Utako said:
There is only one spec sheet for Dolphin/PCSX2 performance, which you would know by skimming the first 4000 times this was asked across 50 threads:

Minimum Requirements
3Ghz

Recommended Requirements
5Ghz (pretty much an overclocked i7 2600K)

thanks. that should be in the OP...would take care of the problem, mostly

as for the hyperbole, it's not on the last two pages (at 100 posts/page) and it's not in the OP, that's about as much digging as a person should be expected to do.

After finally upgrading my PC to what is probably considered "mid-to-low range" by you lot, I decided to give this a spin.

Core 2 Duo @3ghz
Radeon HD5670
2GB of DDR2 SDRAM

xn7xfm.jpg
34phvo0.jpg
jj4obs.jpg
ok2821.png

Oh well. Maybe next upgrade. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sega1991 said:
After finally upgrading my PC to what is probably considered "mid-to-low range" by you lot, I decided to give this a spin.

Core 2 Duo @3ghz
Radeon HD5670
2GB of DDR2 SDRAM

Don't give up all hope. My build is a bit worse than yours and I could run RE4 at 720p at full speed (except for the opening area, which ran terribly for some reason). I wonder if it's because RE4 was a port rather than built specifically for the PS2 (and therefore doesn't demand as much from the hardware)...

The point is, there might be games you can play, although you've probably already tried the ones you actually want to play so this is probably stupid advice. :)

Sega1991 said:

Core 2 Duo @3ghz
Radeon HD5670
2GB of DDR2 SDRAM

xn7xfm.jpg
34phvo0.jpg
jj4obs.jpg
ok2821.png

Is that using 0.9.7 or 0.9.8? The Jak games had the missing eyeball problem in 0.9.7, I was hoping that it would be fixed in 0.9.8 but I'm too lazy to check.

Utako

Banned
Smision said:
thanks. that should be in the OP...would take care of the problem, mostly

as for the hyperbole, it's not on the last two pages (at 100 posts/page) and it's not in the OP, that's about as much digging as a person should be expected to do.
You're welcome! Sorry for the snark; it isn't your fault, it's society!

It should be in the OP. The OP is a fossil.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sega1991 said:

Core 2 Duo @3ghz
Radeon HD5670
2GB of DDR2 SDRAM

http://i56.tinypic.com/xn7xfm.jpg[img][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/34phvo0.jpg[img][img]http://i54.tinypic.com/jj4obs.jpg[img][img]http://i55.tinypic.com/ok2821.png[img]

Oh well. Maybe next upgrade. :p[/QUOTE]My laptop is a 5650 and could run everything I threw at it playable, unless you were expecting 1080p 60fps full AA of course :)

Utako said:
You're welcome! Sorry for the snark; it isn't your fault, it's society!

It should be in the OP. The OP is a fossil.

It's always society's fault!

Is there a minimum GPU?

I'm starting to toss around the idea of building a PCSX2 box/htpc as cheaply as possible.

xemumanic

This thread should be closed, I gotta ask a mod to do so. The new thread is better organized, all posts on this subject are better off being posted there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom