• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

WallJump

Banned
Ordered this. Hope it is not too easy. Sakurai games tend to be some of the most babying games around.

When you hit your first opportunity to level select, set your intensity to 9.0. That'll give you an inkling of an idea of what you're in for.

Maybe the best part about this game is that it's as hard as you want it to be. If you want an angelic playful romp through the magical forests and cities of ancient happyland, set it to 2.0 or 1.0 (or even 0.0!). If you want a balls-in-a-blender white-knuckle slugfest against hordes of the undead and some seriousy pissed-off bosses, set it to 9.0
or 10.0, you masochist

And for most of us, somewhere in between is that sweet spot where you might make it through the level without dying, but the boss will probably kill you once until you figure out its attacks. Mine is at about 6 or 7 now.

massoluk

Banned
The cool thing about making a game with this much variability in difficulty is that you can appease the hardcore fans by making the hardest difficulty absolutely ridiculous and no one can get upset about it.

The ingenious design is the ample amounts of check point and the way difficulty adjusted down when you lose your life, and adjusted up when you clear a level. Eventually, everyone can finish the game, and everyone will find the sweetspot in difficulty level. Few frustrations due to difficulty or deaths, just challenges. No whining that the game is too easy.

This is something I hope every goddamn game copy from now on when possible.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the difficulty of the game, not the controls.

Go ahead, pour all your hearts in the fiend's cauldron. Slide it up to 9. What's the worst that can happen.

*smirk*
Oops, I quoted the wrong person. That post was supposed to be about the controls in response to controls, haha. Thanks for noticing that.

I did take level 1 to Intensity 9, and I died. Beat it on 8, though. I am trying to make a better weapon for single player.

Neiteio

Has anyone even managed to beat a level on 9.0 difficulty yet? I'm curious. Game dishes out the hurt when you ask it to. Enemies everywhere!

Also, to the person asking earlier what everyone means by a "trilogy's worth of content":. The campaign is EPIC. Like, you really haven't seen the half of it if watched any of the pre-release media. It keeps going and going and going. I always crack up everytime someone in here goes, "OH MAN, CHAPTER SUCH-AND-SUCH WAS AWESOME!" I smile and think, "They're just starting the game, but they probably think they're far along. Just wait until they see what happens later." :)

On another note, a warning: You can drop idol eggs and they will break. I dropped a high-value green egg. Feels bad mang. :(

PK Gaming

Hey guys, i've got a cool neat little gift you want it, especially for those who want to get
Palutena's bow, Pit's signature weapon.
. Check out the spoilers below. They're of a mild nature, so accidentally reading this won't be that bad at all.

Clear chapter 24 within 11 minutes. My tips are as follows
-Set the intensity to 0.0
-Use claws since they increase Pit's running speed. Pray that you have any claws that increase speed
-Stock up on the Tireleness and Lightweight powers. Trust me, you'll need them.

Busaiku

I beat Chapter 1 at 9.0!
I was pretty close to beating Chapter 2 as well, but not quite.

9.0 is definitely not even close to being as hard as Sin & Punishment Star Successor on Hard.
Though it definitely takes longer since we can't just respawn.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
THIS GAME.
Yeah, finally started playing it. And I even found a way to play it well without the stand. It's awesome! Flying sections are mindblowing. And ground sections are very VERY fun.

But the script is top notch. Palutena best troll character of the year.

Now I'm stopping a bit. After Chapter 5, you need to
just to realize the fuck have you played :lol

OmegaZero

Has anyone even managed to beat a level on 9.0 difficulty yet? I'm curious. Game dishes out the hurt when you ask it to. Enemies everywhere!

Yeah, I've beaten everything up to Chapter 14.
It isn't really as hard as Sin and Punishment 2, but the difficulty is still satisfying.

EDIT: I suppose if you're good with clubs, then you'll have an easier time beating 9.0 since they crush the Air Battle sections. I only use them on multiplayer, but just throwing it out there if anyone wants a slightly easier way to beat 9.0 chapters.

Prinny

The air battles are way too hard on 8.0-9.0 if I'm using the face buttons to move.
I guess I'll have to destroy my poor touch screen after all :(

Neiteio

The air battles are way too hard on 8.0-9.0 if I'm using the face buttons to move.
Dude, your touchscreen is designd to take tons of abuse. :) I played vigorously on my DS touchscreen and it never got a scratch. And I've played extensively on the 3DS touchscreen with Steel Diver and now Kid Icarus, and again, no scratches. I'm not using a screen protector, either. It works fine. :)

On a side note, after replaying the first third of the game, I'm confident saying that my conclusion that this is one of my favorite Nintendo games ever is NOT post-release hype. Whether it dethrones my all-time favorite, Majora's Mask, is hard to say, because this game is so immediately gratifying while MM is more of a slow-burn, so it's hard to compare... They're such different games. Uprising is definitely in my Top Five Nintendo Games, though.

I have to say: Do Not Listen to Reviewers.

Once you get those awkward controls down, what you have here is an amazingly deep and enjoyable game. My expectations were blown away, the amount of innovation in a handheld game is surprising. And the multiplayer for a handheld game that was not an after-thought is incredibly refreshing, especially since single player and multiplayer impact each other.

But seriously, you get:

Single-Player Campaign that I think has more production value than most Wii games in terms of respective graphics and content. Ramping up your intensity and using hearts to get more hearts or to get through Intensity doors is great.

Crafting System: the whole weapon system is great, combining weapons is addictive, buying new one from the store that can sometimes be on sale for a discount. Getting street pass weapon gems for further customize.

Powers: The whole tetrising the best set of powers together is fun and can take some time to find the best combinations.

Treasure Hunt: I love that Sakurai took that Glass Board from Brawl and made it actually useful. Going for specific achievements to gain weapons/hearts/powers/idols (who cares about the idols though) is an awesome idea.

Then of course the Multiplayer: Not everyone will get into this, but those who do will love it. It is a lot of fun, given a good connection, you can pass hours doing Free-for-All or Light vs. Dark. Getting more hearts, more weapons, powers, etc... and then using that in Single player and vice versa. I love this trend of Online Multiplayer affecting Single Player like Mass Effect 3.

Overall this game is an achievement. My only hope is that if they could just wrangle in the controls and give it up to Wii U, this could be a huge series.

Busaiku

Seriously, I don't get why people think their Touchscreen will die from something like this.
As long as you're not using enough force to bash someone's face in while holding your Stylus, the screen won't get any marks.
SuperDowns said:
Once you get those awkward controls down, what you have here is an amazingly deep and enjoyable game.
That's what reviewers are saying though.

Ragus

Banned
I'm curious, if weapon stats are generated at the same moment we find a chest, or at the end of chapter. Let's say that I'm playing on 6.0 and I find a nice set of Claws. During the boss fight, I lose and difficulty drops down to 4.5 but I still get the claws from the mid of the chapter.

I'm not even sure how to check it.

I beat Chapter 1 at 9.0!
I was pretty close to beating Chapter 2 as well, but not quite.

9.0 is definitely not even close to being as hard as Sin & Punishment Star Successor on Hard.
Though it definitely takes longer since we can't just respawn.

Well, you're talking about Chapter 1, and you need to beat Intensity 9 on one life, otherwise it drops.

Yeah, that's going to be a real bitch on later levels.

Busaiku

Well, you're talking about Chapter 1, and you need to beat Intensity 9 on one life, otherwise it drops.

Yeah, that's going to be a real bitch on latter levels.

I've tried all the levels (through Chapter 13) at 9.0, they're not that bad.
If Sin & Punishment Star Successor had you respawn at the beginning every time you died, I would not have beaten level 1.

Do you continuously fire no matter if there is an enemy on the screen or not??

IF you use your shots sparingly then when you don't shoot you get a dodge boost (speed boost?). So a lot of times it is useful to attack, dodge some shots, then finish off the rest.

I'm curious, if weapon stats are generated at the same moment we find a chest, or at the end of chapter. Let's say that I'm playing on 6.0 and I find a nice set of Claws. During the boss fight, I lose and difficulty drops down to 4.5 but I still get the claws from the mid of the chapter.

I'm not even sure how to check it.

Start at intensity 9.0, get a couple weapons while still at that intensity, then die a dozen times on the boss and see what kind of weapons you get at 0.0.

Also do the whole chapter successfully at 9.0 and compare the drops.

Prinny

Do you continuously fire no matter if there is an enemy on the screen or not??

IF you use your shots sparingly then when you don't shoot you get a dodge boost (speed boost?). So a lot of times it is useful to attack, dodge some shots, then finish off the rest.
I know that, but it's harder to make small adjustments and to do a barrel roll with ABXY than with the circle pad. Dodging the bullets isn't too hard but I'm always hitting the walls, etc., with the face buttons.

Neiteio

Did... Did SuperDowns just say "who cares about the idols?" They're one of my fucking favorite parts of the game! *shakes fist*

Seriously, I'm addicted to collecting the idols. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of them! There has to be at least 400. They have intricate dioramas of every location in the game, even obscure ones you only visit fo a moment! They have figurines of every character -- and I mean EVERY character, including every enemy variant (even the
cellular forms in Hades' belly
!), every boss form, every parody form. They have idols of every weapon, every power-up, every item, every interactive element, every plot device. And if it's an idol of a living creature, it's fully animated, going through nearly its entire animation routine. You have these pokedex-style entries, which are as humor-laden as the game itself, many of them breaking the fourh wall. This is easily the best trophy gallery ever!

It just adds another delicous layer of rewards to the proceedings. I can play a campaign mission, finding hidden areas and besting higher difficulties, unlocking achievements and gaining better weapons/powers, and I can take those weapons/powers online and earn even more, and through it all I'm earning idol eggs that can be exchanged for new idols, allowing me to better appreciate the character design and game lore.

I love it! Every game that has characters should have idols!

P.S. Look at Galatic Fiend Kraken's model head-on with 3D maxed out. WHOA! Try the same with Three-Headed Hewdraw, or
Hades' battle form
. It's like they're flying out of the screen!

Tom_Cody

P.S. Look at Galatic Fiend Kraken's model head-on with 3D maxed out. WHOA! Try the same with Three-Headed Hewdraw, or
Hades' battle form
. It's like they're flying out of the screen!
I had the same thought last night. The undulating motions look really good in 3D.

ryushe

I gotta say, by the end of it all, Uprising's OST might just best my favorite soundtrack in existence, which is NieR.

And that's saying a lot because NieR beat out me previous favorite, which was Chrono Cross...

AwRy108

Damn you GAF'ers and your praise: got this today @ Target during their B2G1 free sale, so the game essentially cost me $28.52. Score!

When I eventually develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which one of you do I send the bill to?

backlot

Give in to the ways of the stand. Seriously, it is so much more useful than I ever would have expected. Just put a pillow in your lap and you're good to go.

Honestly, using the stand kind of hurts the wrist of the hand I'm using to hold the stylus after a while. I'm not really used to writing on anything but a level surface I guess.

matmanx1

I'm worried. Level 5 made me physically ill to play it last night. I had to stop the game and look away I got so dizzy and nauseated. I'm loving the game though so I hope it was just because I had the 3D turned up and I was tired from a long day. It would be a real shame if I couldn't complete the game!

You can earn more by using your play coins too
Yeah I noticed that. I'm just wondering what determines how quickly you get them.

It's incredible how much is still unknown about this game at this point. There is so much depth and complexity to a lot of the systems (particularly with the weapons).

Honestly, using the stand kind of hurts the wrist of the hand I'm using to hold the stylus after a while. I'm not really used to writing on anything but a level surface I guess.
Yeah, the reason I put a pillow in my lap is so that I can support the forearm of my right hand with it (while also using it to prop up the stand a little more). It's quite the intricate setup for a handheld game. :p

I also hold the stylus much differently than I do a pen or pencil when I play this game. I hold it with my thumb and middle finger while using my index finger to press down on it near the tip (so the stylus is basically under my hand). That's how I played Metroid Prime: Hunters as well.

OmegaZero

Okay, you start on 6.0 and find a pair of claws. The base stats of the weapon are generated when you get it. But then you lose and drop to 4.5.
What ends up happening is that you keep the weapon, but the weapon's stats drop.

So...it seems to be both.

I beat Chapter 1 on 9.0 twice and it was getting easy the second time. The hardest part had
to be the air battles. If you don't have an high range(mine was 5 1/2 stars) type weapon, it makes killing enemies before they shoot/hit you a real chore.
Ground though? Other than some areas that you pretty much have to

1. Know the enemies that spawn
2. Take it very slow.
It also helps to have a weapon with a bonus with "Health recovery +". Mine is at +2 and helps a ton. (Don't have to use Double Item)

However, Chapter 2. Died on the boss. That sucked. I'm sure I could do it if I tried again.

Regarding the weapons, is the base value number an indication of how powerful the weapon is relative to all other weapons and the star values an indication of how powerful the weapon is relative to other weapons of the same type?

backlot

Regarding the weapons, is the base value number an indication of how powerful the weapon is relative to all other weapons and the star values an indication of how powerful the weapon is relative to other weapons of the same type?

I think the value number is determined mostly by the bonuses. I've had weapons of the same type with lower star ratings but a higher value because it has +3 or +2 bonuses.

Neiteio

Clubberskulls... Why?!!
These are one of the only enemies that invoke some kind of fear from within me.
Yeah, they're up there with Mimicutie (the chest with legs), Tempura Wizard and Orne (the glowing OHKO devil skull) in the "oh shit oh shit oh shit" department. Orne takes the cake with the music that plays when he appears, though.

ryushe

Clubberskulls... Why?!!
These are one of the only enemies that invoke some kind of fear from within me.
Every time I see them spawn I just take a deep breath and say to myself "Oh, fuck..."

Still, It's not as bad as seeing an Orne, though...

I love that they're in the game though. Even when you feel like your a God, you still have something to keep you in check.

Tom_Cody

I beat Chapter 1 on 9.0 twice and it was getting easy the second time. The hardest part had
to be the air battles. If you don't have an high range(mine was 5 1/2 stars) type weapon, it makes killing enemies before they shoot/hit you a real chore.
Ground though? Other than some areas that you pretty much have to

1. Know the enemies that spawn
2. Take it very slow.
It also helps to have a weapon with a bonus with "Health recovery +". Mine is at +2 and helps a ton. (Don't have to use Double Item)

However, Chapter 2. Died on the boss. That sucked. I'm sure I could do it if I tried again.
I would be interesting in knowing your weapon and its complete stats.

I think the value number is determined mostly by the bonuses. I've had weapons of the same type with lower star ratings but a higher value because it has +3 or +2 bonuses.
Yeah, I noticed that they played a fairly significant role as well. So basically there is no way to relate one weapon to another weapon unless they are the same base weapon? That would make things ridiculously over-complicated if so...

Really I'm just trying to find some guidance for fusing and buying weapons. Nothing about the process is very intuitive besides the bonuses and how they carry over.

Hylian7

I finished the game last night. Absolutely loved it.

Medusa fucking helping me?! A boss rush?! An ENTIRE THIRD CHALLENGE BOARD?! FUCK YES!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I'm still not sure how to differentiate weapons based on their intrinsic properties. Are there any? Or are all clubs (etc.) just visual reskins with the same base capability?

mu-chan

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm still not sure how to differentiate weapons based on their intrinsic properties. Are there any? Or are all clubs (etc.) just visual reskins with the same base capability?

Another reason to collect idols, since the idol descriptions typically give a few tips about the weapon characteristics.

Top Bottom