• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
I can't believe you're advocating for a user to be banned just for expressing his opinions in a relatively inoffensive manner; if he doesn't believe the iPad 3 to be "retina" due to it not being 300+ PPI than so be it.

Leave him alone, don't attack him and than advocate for his banning simply because he defends himself.

It is hilarious that you are defending him. Since you are the infamous "crapple" junior. I mean, I guess it makes sense.

Cheebo

Banned
And in response to what someone else typed, yes, I've tried to respond to every polite counterpoint thrown my way, no, I don't like Cook's stewardship of Apple, never liked Gil, yes, I am always chill, hence the name.

What don't you like about it? How is there anything to not like? There hasn't been a single product introduced under Tim Cooks apple yet! He has barely been CEO for less than a year.

And there won't be for a long time. Anything introduced in 2012 was locked down well before Jobs died. Do you really honestly think they didnt design iPad 3 till this fall? That is absurd. They would be likely having select people testing this thing in the field in the summer when Jobs was still CEO!

Don't you see how absurd you sound? There is nothing to trash Cooks Apple about when there hasn't yet and won't be for a while a single product created post-Jobs. You are trashing him based nothing logical.

According to all reports we have got iPad 3 started mass production at Foxconn in December, just two months after Jobs died. And Jobs was heavily active in day to day decisions at Apple as chairman till the day he died. John Gruber on his podcast yesterday was talking about how even though Jobs was on his death bed called Tim Cook after the 4S press event to discuss 4S's introduction. iPad 3 entered mass production just two months later! The specs on thing were locked down for a long time by that point.

I...I just don't get it. Did Tim Cook kick your puppy or something? I have literally no idea how you can attack what he has done at Apple when there hasn't been a single product that wasn't designed under Steve Jobs and won't be for a while. You literally make my head hurt. I don't get at all what you have against Tim Cook and the strange things he has done apparently wrong that don't exist.

e_i

Hey wouldn't it be neat if with the increased resolution of the iPad it would run 4 apps on screen at once (each with their own corner)?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Incredibly well defined pixelated sprites. They don't get less pixelated because of retina. In fact, the bigger screen size means MORE pixelation. It'll just be incredibly clean looking.

Get any of Jeff Minter's Llamasoft games!

bl04.png

And while I don't agree that the reported specs of the screen deserve it to be called a Retina Display
That's like someone saying the specs for a new PlayStation mean it doesn't deserve to be called a PlayStation.
Apple came up with the term, they get to decide when it can be applied to a product.

AngryMoth

So whats the latest buzz on whether it will have a quad core chip or not? I kind of don't want it to so i won't be as jealous with my puny iPad2, but I'll be picking up the new iPhone later this year so I hope it does. Also I remember seeing someone reporting that it would have LTE which I thought seemed a bit far fetched, no?

If Refrigerator was a reasonable human being, he could have said 'oh, shame it's not gonna be 300PPI', and left it at that. Because yes, it's a shame that it's not 300PPI in the same way that it's a shame that it's not 600PPI. Oooh imagine 600PPI. Oh ma gahhh.

Instead, he decides to argue about a marketing term, with an opinion that conflicts with the people who created the term. The stubbornness he displays in refusing to accept that he is wrong is quite baffling.

Recon

Banned
If Refigerator was a reasonable human being, he could have said 'oh, shame it's not gonna be 300PPI', and left it at that. Because yes, it's a shame that it's not 300PPI in the same way that it's a shame that it's not 600PPI. Oooh imagine 600PPI. Oh ma gahhh.

Instead, he decides to argue about a marketing term, with an opinion that conflicts with the people who created the term. The stubbornness he displays in refusing to accept that he is wrong is quite baffling.

I bet at some point early on he realized he was wrong. But at that point he had two options: 1.Admit error and carry on, or 2. Double down on his stupidity and go full retard.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
An 8GB iPad is such a dumb idea. I don't believe it. Why would Apple go backward? 64 GB or 128 GB or bust.

Because they know a lot of folks will snap that them up to get the iPad experience. 8Gb is more then enough to have a few apps, a couple of dozen albums and a some photo's.

Lot's of folks spend most of their time surfing and streaming movies. You don't need a lot of memory space for that.

e_i

Because they know a lot of folks will snap that them up to get the iPad experience. 8Gb is more then enough to have a few apps, a couple of dozen albums and a some photo's.

Lot's of folks spend most of their time surfing and streaming movies. You don't need a lot of memory space for that.

They don't need to compete with the Fire and Nook Tablet. Technology should move forward, not backward. I just really hope they aren't getting rid of the 64 GB model. If they do, I might have to buy a iPad 2. I d/l lots of apps/games and want to have lots of media on my iPad.

I'm willing to take on a ban bet that Apple won't introduce an 8GB iPad 2. No way that happens. The 16GB might hang around for a little while longer but no way they roll that down to 8GB. Digitimes is crazy.

Talon

I'm willing to take on a ban bet that Apple won't introduce an 8GB iPad 2. No way that happens. The 16GB might hang around for a little while longer but no way they roll that down to 8GB. Digitimes is crazy.
I really don't see this happening. 16 GB on a tablet is constricting anyways.

Sanjuro

Apple isn't in the business of designing devices for filthy poors, so I strongly doubt a 8GB version. Hell, I have a Mac mini and I feel like a poor.

Tron 2.0

More articles = more hits = more money.

The Internet has a short memory for some things. Boy Genius Report has, like, the worst record (Sprint exclusively getting iPhone 5. They reported it with high confidence the day before the 4S announcement) but people still circulate their shit.

I guess people just get desperate for something to discuss.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm not going to lie guys... I haven't read the last 9 pages. Has there been any more weigh ins on the possibility of a wacom digitizer or similar device being a special accessory announcement?

Cheebo

Banned
I'm not going to lie guys... I haven't read the last 9 pages. Has there been any more weigh ins on the possibility of a wacom digitizer or similar device being a special accessory announcement?

Not one rumor. Seeing how apple hates styli it makes sense.

The invite image they chose plus 'And touch' suggests that haptic tech is more likely than stylus tech. If one is gonna happen, it'll be haptic tech.

DJ88

Thanks for this.

I'm not a troll. I express my views and don't engage in hit-and-run or superficial posts to even earn that qualification. I believe what I write, and the offer of a math lesson won't change my view that only a ~300 PPI display should be considered Retina-classed. Some of you have been humorous and respectful in disagreeing, others not so much.

And while I don't agree that the reported specs of the screen deserve it to be called a Retina Display, it's still enough of an upgrade that I'll still purchase the device when available.
You heard it here first folks. Following the "retina" guidelines set forth by Refrigerator, A 50" HDTV needs be 13K resolution, 13,440 x 7560 to be exact, in order to reach that holy grail of 300+ PPI and attain the coveted retina class. So infuriating that these TV companies stick to keeping their screens at less than 60 PPI! Viewing distance has no say in the matter!

The invite image they chose plus 'And touch' suggests that haptic tech is more likely than stylus tech. If one is gonna happen, it'll be haptic tech.
I doubt the 'touch' part implies anything more than that it's an iOS event. I would love haptic tech to be included though.

You heard it here first folks. Following the "retina" guidelines set forth by Refrigerator, A 50" HDTV needs be close to 8K resolution, 13,440 x 7560 to be exact, in order to reach that holy grail of 300+ PPI and attain the coveted retina class. So infuriating that these TV companies stick to keeping their screens at less than 60 PPI! Viewing distance has no say in the matter!
Actually 8K is "only" 8192 × 4320.

I'm amazed this "Retina" term has had as much traction as it has.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Aw I kind of wanted a Stylus on the iPad - not for me persay, I'm still firmly an android guy - but a stylus on the iPad would mean like... 15 more Android Tablets come out with stylus's, all trying to one up each other.

I doubt the 'touch' part implies anything more than that it's an iOS event. I would love haptic tech to be included though.

Yeah, it's sort of a play on words (well, not really) with "see" and "touch" being included. If Apple would have just said "we have something you really need to see", then we're just going to see our retina display iPad 3. However, they include "And touch" to give you the impression that the "see" is actually talking about two products (Apple TV 3 and iPad 3) thanks to the "And touch" thrown in there.

Marketing is a hell of a drug.

And it sure has stuck. It's so much easier for the mainstream to understand that a "Retina" display is going to look pretty awesome. No one says "oh that's 1900X1200 resolution!! wow!" or some garbage. It's an immediately understandable term....well...for some apparently.

numble

If Kim Jong Un agreed to disarm and democratize for his personal 1-year exclusivity on iPad 3, would you be okay with that happening?

LCfiner

Aw I kind of wanted a Stylus on the iPad - not for me persay, I'm still firmly an android guy - but a stylus on the iPad would mean like... 15 more Android Tablets come out with stylus's, all trying to one up each other.

stop trying to ruin the ipad :p

you'll get your Android tablets with styli anyway as they all try throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Yeah, it's sort of a play on words (well, not really) with "see" and "touch" being included. If Apple would have just said "we have something you really need to see", then we're just going to see our retina display iPad 3. However, they include "And touch" to give you the impression that the "see" is actually talking about two products (Apple TV 3 and iPad 3) thanks to the "And touch" thrown in there.
It seems very strange that the 'see' would refer to both the upgraded display and a totally different product. After all they said 'something', not 'some things'.

But however you look at it, the fact that everyone knew this was gonna be an iPad event, followed by an invite with a picture of (what appears to be) an iPad, with someone touching it.... makes the 'And touch' wording completely redundant.

Cheebo

Banned
It seems very strange that the 'see' would refer to both the upgraded display and a totally different product. After all they said 'something', not 'some things'.

But however you look at it, the fact that everyone knew this was gonna be an iPad event, followed by an invite with a picture of (what appears to be) an iPad, with someone touching it.... makes the 'And touch' wording completely redundant.

Well the Apple TV 3 is a see sort of item.

Yeah that's why the "see" plays to both the iPad 3 display as well as the Apple TV 3. I can't really articulate what I'm trying to get it entirely, but the "And touch" is there entirely to make you think of two products....with the focus on "see" leading us to believe that it has something to do with the possibility of an Apple TV 3 since the "see" blatantly refers to the retina display iPad.

One of those things that will make sense to the mainstream AFTER the event.

Tobor

After all this nonsense, you better have a proper meltdown when there's no haptic touch. :p

Cheebo

Banned
There have been endless rumors that there will be two products a new apple tv and new iPad. Zero rumors of new touch technology.

I don't see how the second is at all more likely.

Yeah that's why the "see" plays to both the iPad 3 display as well as the Apple TV 3. I can't really articulate what I'm trying to get it entirely, but the "And touch" is there entirely to make you think of two products....with the focus on "see" leading us to believe that it has something to do with the possibility of an Apple TV 3 since the "see" blatantly refers to the retina display iPad.

One of those things that will make sense to the mainstream AFTER the event.
Mmmm. Does the iPad 1/2 already work as a kind of remote for the current Apple TV? Maybe they're trying to make it a big deal, where the iPad becomes the world's best TV remote... (which it clearly won't be, until you can feel for buttons without looking... ohh yeah there's me linking it to haptics again)

After all this nonsense, you better have a proper meltdown when there's no haptic touch. :p
Haha. Don't worry, I'm all prepared for no haptic touch. I'm just trying to make sense of the wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom