• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Pachael

It's weird, they use his designs for Scrooge/Donald's parents. Though believe Rosa's still very staunchly assertive the comics and cartoons are quite different, and I recall one of the showrunners saying he was too nervous to call Don, which is a shame. I assume they'll use elements of Life&Times (the ones that aren't too year-specific) and perhaps some of the physics-gimmick stories (the ones messing with gravity, friction, etc.)

Whilst disappointing to hear, I can understand that Don and Disney have a broken relationship that will be near impossible to mend.

That said, the initial signs are really promising and the showrunners are certainly trying to piece the bits of the Duck-dom together (with a clear and deserved lean towards the Barks' characters and stories). That said, Don's Life&Times is magnificent and handled properly will be great to watch.

Cool start. I like the hints to the past drama between charactsrs like Donald and Scrooge for example. Alongside the last line before credits hit, it looks like a lot of relationships from the past will be a central focus of the season and run parallel to the relationship between the kids and their elders. In other words, a show about generations.

That was fun.

I squealed when they mentioned
Cape Suzette

I thought Launchpad's plane looked an awful lot like the Sea Duck in previews. I'm surprised they're connecting all the locations into the same world, though. I guess Ducktales might end up being a way to pop in some other Disney Afternoon nostalgia while they're at it.

what?!

hold me brehs

Dewey mentions it when
he hotwires the boat early on in the episode.

Peru

I hope Fantagraphics or someone else makes use of this opportunity to market the heck out of the Don Rosa library of wild Duck adventures which is currently being put out and features the legendary series of stories The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's Ducktales in gorgeous, comic book form with an emotional core.

ROSA-vol4-COVER_FINAL.png

Glass Rebel

I thought Launchpad's plane looked an awful lot like the Sea Duck in previews. I'm surprised they're connecting all the locations into the same world, though. I guess Ducktales might end up being a way to pop in some other Disney Afternoon nostalgia while they're at it.

Dewey mentions it when
he hotwires the boat early on in the episode.

I haven't seen it yet but this gonna be the best cinematic universe out there.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to watch this internationally? Probably not I guess, but can't hurt asking.

Blues1990

They, uh, did mention Spoonerville. Early on, at the business meeting Scrooge is bored at.

Now I want to see how they connect the Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers universe into this.

As if it couldn't get any more bonkers
(No, I don't want Bonkers to return. It was a piece of shit and it should stay as a footnote in history.)
than it already has.

ReiGun

Now I want to see how they connect the Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers universe into this.

As if it couldn't get any more bonkers
(No, I don't want Bonkers to return. It was a piece of shit and it should stay as a footnote in history.)
than it already has.

An episode where the family has to ask the Rescue Rangers to help recover some treasure and Donald seethes because of how much he hates Chip and Dale would be a dream.

Blues1990

An episode where the family has to ask the Rescue Rangers to help recover some treasure and Donald seethes because of how much he hates Chip and Dale would be a dream.

Okay, I would be fine if that actually happened in some fashion. Fat Cat could team up with Glomgold (Fat Cat can secretly manipulate Glomgold as a Piggy Bank to finance his crimes, and they can both get rid of their respective problems), and why stop there? They can easily make references to the NES video games (I want them to explain the logic of breathing on the moon without a space suit) and Scrooge can use his cane as a pogo stick. Oh, and then.....

Anywho, if they do bring back Darkwing Duck, there honestly isn't much to rework. The original show worked fine, and the comics proved that, so I generally want some more. I don't know how they can rework Goof Troop, but I would like to think that Max would get the most rework (he definitely wasn't the most interesting character, and there wasn't much too him). Quite honestly, it was Pete and his dysfunctional family that was A LOT more interesting to watch. Pete was an overbearing (but otherwise well meaning) father, P.J. was neurotic, Pistol was psychotic, and Peg was equal parts caring and threatening.

ReiGun

Okay, I would be fine if that actually happened in some fashion. Fat Cat could team up with Glomgold (Fat Cat can secretly manipulate Glomgold as a Piggy Bank to finance his crimes, and they can both get rid of their respective problems), and why stop there? They can easily make references to the NES video games (I want them to explain the logic of breathing on the moon without a space suit) and Scrooge can use his cane as a pogo stick. Oh, and then.....

Anywho, if they do bring back Darkwing Duck, there honestly isn't much to rework. The original show worked fine, and the comics proved that, so I generally want some more. I don't know how they can rework Goof Troop, but I would like to think that Max would get the most rework (he definitely wasn't the most interesting character, and there wasn't much too him). Quite honestly, it was Pete and his dysfunctional family that was A LOT more interesting to watch. Pete was an overbearing (but otherwise well meaning) father, P.J. was neurotic, Pistol was psychotic, and Peg was equal parts caring and threatening.

I haven't seen Darkwing in forever, but I imagine a reworking would focus more on the lore. I would love to see what they do with Gosalyn and the villains.

Goof Troop....eh. I'd be fine with just Goofy and Max being in an episode of DuckTales. "Goofy in the suburbs" was never the strongest premise - very much of its time and as much as I love the show, not something I'd want to revisit.

Blues1990

I haven't seen Darkwing in forever, but I imagine a reworking would focus more on the lore. I would love to see what they do with Gosalyn and the villains.

Goof Troop....eh. I'd be fine with just Goofy and Max being in an episode of DuckTales. "Goofy in the suburbs" was never the strongest premise - very much of its time and as much as I love the show, not something I'd want to revisit.

I should've pointed out if (definitely IF) they brought it back, there is a lot of retooling. Quite honestly, Pete and his family would be a lot more fun to watch, as their shenanigans we're the best thing from the show. (Pete having a meltdown with his yacht having a tiny splinter is a riot.)

I recently re-watched the episodes that were animated by Disney Australia, and I think they hold up pretty well. Besides, it's not like this show is the weirdest thing Disney could potentially bring back from the grave and reboot it.

Santar

Just watched it, thought it was goodish?
A bit too many cliched "learning" moments and the color palette is a bit too drab. Kinda takes away some of the excitement of adventure when everything is so grey.
Also a lot of typical modern cartoon show humor but I guess that's to be expected.

Donald was used better than I feared though and some of the voices were good, like Tennant, Launchpad (which is basically identical to the old one) and Donald, he even sounded a bit more like his classic self than he usually does in recent stuff like Kingdom Hearts. All in all not too bad, could've been worse.

Rlan

I'd be fascinating to see a Rescue Rangers where they're actually a regular detective agency and "regular" sized. Defeats the purpose of the original (Tiny critters in a Human world) but would fit better in this universe. I mean, Mickey's normal sized.

Same with Talespin.
They mention Cape Suzette, but Talespin was set in a kind of 1930's world.

Them being rather flippant about Cartoon Animals vs real animals weirds me out, but then that's always the Disney way. First thing you see is a regular Seagull here, and apparently the Chubacabra was just a Bear. Baloo would be the same size as it!

Glass Rebel

I'd be fascinating to see a Rescue Rangers where they're actually a regular detective agency and "regular" sized. Defeats the purpose of the original (Tiny critters in a Human world) but would fit better in this universe. I mean, Mickey's normal sized.

Same with Talespin.
They mention Cape Suzette, but Talespin was set in a kind of 1930's world.

Them being rather flippant about Cartoon Animals vs real animals weirds me out, but then that's always the Disney way. First thing you see is a regular Seagull here, and apparently the Chubacabra was just a Bear. Baloo would be the same size as it!

I don't think they need to overthink any potential crossovers. It's a cartoon after all and the, imo, even more humorous angle they're going would make it pretty easy to mash up these worlds. More than the characters interacting there's great potential for the "rules" of those perspective worlds to clash.

Glass Rebel

There's so may gems in this.

Glomgold's assassins.

Webbie trying to lie and Louie getting a kick out of it.

Launchpad dropping in out of nowhere to speak Swedish.

Luigi87

"They're perfectly safe in the room with the fire and the snakes."

This show... It's gotten audible laughs out of me several times at this point.

Edit: Finished. It was excellent!

megalowho

Premiere was great! Entertaining and legitimately funny. Donald Duck's shtick in particular is evergreen, it just works. Well done to all involved.

Tizoc

Yo Ms. Beakly is
Supernanny!

Launchpad's great and
Glomgold's accent is great...for an Afrikaner :p

Top Bottom