• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Jackpot

Banned
Why didn't they just set it in the Kelvinverse if they're going to imitate all its tech and visual cues.

TREK2.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
so much lens flare

So it is J.J. Trek I guess. And I am out.

The show's head writer is the guy behind Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Y'might wanna stick around for a sec and see how it holds up.

Why didn't they just set it in the Kelvinverse if they're going to imitate all its tech and visual cues.

Probably because Nicholas Meyer, Joe Menoksy, and Kirsten Beyer would rather write stuff for the Prime timeline. (And Bryan Fuller, for that matter.)

so much lens flare

So it is J.J. Trek I guess. And I am out.

It's in Prime.

The show's head writer is the guy behind Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Y'might wanna stick around for a sec and see how it holds up.

Probably because Nicholas Meyer, Joe Menoksy, and Kirsten Beyer would rather write stuff for the Prime timeline. (And Bryan Fuller, for that matter.)

Er, Nick Meyer is certainly not the head writer on the show. That's Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts who worked with Fuller on Pushing Daisies.

gun_haver

It's probably set before everything except Enterprise so they don't even have to deal with what version of the universe it is set in. I'll just put the timeline thing out of my head, though, I mean I don't care to begin with, and like people have said, the only thing I think about it is that they've picked the most boring possible time period to set the show in. I dunno why they don't just move it into the future and, if they want, make Klingons hostile again. They went to war with the Federation in DS9 briefly, even.

Anyway the trailer has nothing interesting in it, but I'll be watching the show unless it is very bad.

Cartman86

Banned
I mean yeah it's not in the JJ timeline, but we are are in the era of franchises and shared universes. They are going to keep the look consistent with JJ stuff. That is what the franchise universe looks like now. You have to suspend disbelief. The idea that JJ stuff looks different from original Trek because of the Kelvin is absurd. They look different because they were made it in 2009 with the expressed desire to "reboot" the franchise. Creating two timelines is just a way to keep the old stories canon (and thus fans happy). I don't have a problem with it. My reason for loving Trek is for the stories that were told in a television format, not big bombast movies. If this can keep the Trek TV format and politics of the shows then they can make it look like whatever.

Morts

It's probably set before everything except Enterprise so they don't even have to deal with what version of the universe it is set in. I'll just put the timeline thing out of my head, though, I mean I don't care to begin with, and like people have said, the only thing I think about it is that they've picked the most boring possible time period to set the show in. I dunno why they don't just move it into the future and, if they want, make Klingons hostile again. They went to war with the Federation in DS9 briefly, even.

Anyway the trailer has nothing interesting in it, but I'll be watching the show unless it is very bad.

I don't think it's a boring period at all. It's a big Federation so there's tons of stuff we haven't seen yet even if the time period is 'covered'. Especially if they want to tell a more localized story where the fate of Earth isn't in the balance. Plus if they did it post-Voyager they'd be saddled with decades more canon that they'd inevitably trip over, which is why the JJ movies went reboot in the first place.

So only the visuals, style, characters and pretty much everything else look like J.J. Trek.

I mean, you can think what you want to think, I have no opinions on the similarities, but it's not true that JJ has anything to do with this or it's set in Kelvin.

I mean yeah it's not in the JJ timeline, but were are in the era of franchises and shared universes. They are going to keep the look consistent with JJ stuff. That is what the franchise universe looks like now. You have to suspend disbelief. The idea that JJ stuff looks different from original Trek because of the Kelvin is absurd. They look different because they were made it in 2009 with the expressed desire to "reboot" the franchise. Creating two timelines is just a way to keep the old stories canon (and thus fans happy).
Also, this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
IEr, Nick Meyer is certainly not the head writer on the show. That's Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts who worked with Fuller on Pushing Daisies.

I'm aware of all of these things that you are typing, except for one key issue: I've seen it written many times over that there is at least an informal "head" of the writers' room, and it's Nick Meyer.

I'm well aware Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts are the showrunners, and I'm also not disputing that ultimately they have greater creative control. I'm not sure what you're trying to correct.

I'm aware of all of these things that you are typing, except for one key issue: I've seen it written many times over that there is at least an informal "head" of the writers' room, and it's Nick Meyer.

I'm well aware Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts are the showrunners, and I'm also not disputing that ultimately they have greater creative control. I'm not sure what you're trying to correct.

Again: it's not. The head writer of the writers' room also doesn't seem to be Nick Meyer! Where have you seen it that Nick is the "head writer" (a term that doesn't really exist unless you mean showrunner)? Because it seems that there are many other Co-EPs and EPs who would have higher rank than Nick.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Again: it's not. The head writer of the writers' room also doesn't seem to be Nick Meyer! Where have you seen it that Nick is the "head writer" (a term that doesn't really exist unless you mean showrunner)? Because it seems that there are many other Co-EPs and EPs who would have higher rank than Nick.

We should reeeeeeally try to stick to one topic for this conversation. I nominate the other one, since by the time I'm finished typing this, I'm guessing you'll have a reply over yonder.

Seems like they're setting up Sonequa Martin-Green to be the captain eventually.
How'd you figure that one out?
It's fucking amazing. Much better than seasons 6 or 7 of TGW. Feels like season 5, in a good way.

Maybe wait until Discovery goes up for it?
Wow, the Good Wife spin off is out? :O How do I watch this?

It'll air its pilot (presumably a two-hour premiere) on CBS before shifting to CBS All Access in the United States, Netflix internationally. (I think it's on Space in Canada.)

Nice, I can watch on my Thailand Netflix

I hope we get an episode where the team travels 10 years into the future to find Sisko running around Kirk's Enterprise in the Trouble with Tribbles episode.

WillyFive

Trailer made it look terrible, like a film school fan production (especially due to those special effects and bland flat dialogue). They added lens flare without realizing why they worked in JJ's movies; JJ moved the camera so that the lens flare didn't cover up the characters for more than one or two seconds, but here they just added a stock CG lens flare in front of a static shot for no reason. Also, they kept an art style similar to JJ (although more Mass Effect than actual JJ Trek), but it makes no sense if this is set in the prime universe. It's like the writing team and the art team disagreed on the timeline, and the show runners didn't care at all to decide for them.

Im still excited for this, but dang Enterprise looked like a professional production compared to this.

Kinyou

Some good stuff in there. I'm surprised though that the focus seems to be more on Sonequa Martin-Green and not Michelle Yeoh

MisterHero

I hope we get an episode where the team travels 10 years into the future to find Sisko running around Kirk's Enterprise in the Trouble with Tribbles episode.
I want as many excuses as possible why this crew doesn't interact with the April/Pike-era Enterprise :p

I mean yeah it's not in the JJ timeline, but we are are in the era of franchises and shared universes. They are going to keep the look consistent with JJ stuff. That is what the franchise universe looks like now. You have to suspend disbelief. The idea that JJ stuff looks different from original Trek because of the Kelvin is absurd. They look different because they were made it in 2009 with the expressed desire to "reboot" the franchise. Creating two timelines is just a way to keep the old stories canon (and thus fans happy). I don't have a problem with it. My reason for loving Trek is for the stories that were told in a television format, not big bombast movies. If this can keep the Trek TV format and politics of the shows then they can make it look like whatever.

Can someone explain to me why look of the JJ universe is so bad and why the old look is superior? Because I honestly prefer the JJ look and would have preferred this to be set in that canon.

WillyFive

Can someone explain to me why look of the JJ universe is so bad and why the old look is superior? Because I honestly prefer the JJ look and would have preferred this to be set in that canon.

The JJ look is a superior version of the original look. It was good looking, very bright, had heart, and very colorful. For example, the suits were almost identical, all the way to their super bright colors, only difference was they added a subtle texture to them so that it looks good in HD and film.

However, Discovery doesn't seem to be any of those things, very muted colors, dark lighting everywhere (except for the fake lens flares), and weird choices in design that aren't necessarily bad (would be great in something like BSG or the oft-mentioned Mass Effect), but out of place in both versions of Star Trek.

Trailer made it look terrible, like a film school fan production (especially due to those special effects and bland flat dialogue). They added lens flare without realizing why they worked in JJ's movies; JJ moved the camera so that the lens flare didn't cover up the characters for more than one or two seconds, but here they just added a stock CG lens flare in front of a static shot for no reason. Also, they kept an art style similar to JJ (although more Mass Effect than actual JJ Trek), but it makes no sense if this is set in the prime universe. It's like the writing team and the art team disagreed on the timeline, and the show runners didn't care at all to decide for them.

Im still excited for this, but dang Enterprise looked like a professional production compared to this.
Okay I see why you're going there but this is a flimsy complaint.

If the producers of TNG had the capabilities and means that the producers of Discovery do then you can be sure that the two shows would have parallels in art direction. However much like the 20 year gap between TOS and TNG we are seeing a similar leap in quality of set dressing and effects.

It doesn't matter that this is a prequel to TNG and TOS - imagine those shoes reimagined with more special effects and bigger budgets.

All things being equal (and they're not) you just have to let them go as best they can.

Nostalgia goggles. I love Star Trek -especially Deep Space 9- but it is absolute insanity that certain people think Trek should look exactly like a show out of the 90s. Sure, I get the complaints about klingons -but then again, I still think they are ancient klingons- but the complaints about raising the production values are insane to me.

Here's hoping for some Shren guest appearance (I know Combs is not in it but I can still dream damnit.)

Yes! I'm so sad that they didn't get Combs.

I'm still sore that we never got another season of Enterprise where Shren was to become a part of the crew.

I'm guessing we're going to get quite a few cameos from TOS characters (as kids or younger versions). They wouldn't set this only a short 10 years before TOS if they weren't going to go all in on the fanservice.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
she looks more like a quarter Vulcan than half

here's hoping it feels more like old Trek even though it looks more like new Trek

Trokil

Banned

Because Apple store Enterprise is not something most fans will like. Also space battles always looked more like a 70's disco with all those flashy lights in J.J. verse.

I've really gotta question who was paid to create that discovery logo at the end...it's pretty terrible. I haven't touched 3DS Max/Maya in about 10yrs now but I could still easily come up with something better than that!

From that trailer, it just looks like Star Trek Into Discovery. I'm rather disappointed. Had a vague hope it wouldn't be so obviously nuTrek-y.

Hopefully it's just a deceitful trailer that is not representative of the show at all. I'll give the first ep a watch at the very least.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It looks okay... but nothing about that trailer tells me why it is set 10 years before TOS.

Top Bottom