• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedBox Going to War With Xbox One (And Loading Ammo For PS4)

nbthedude

From GameTrailers:

Earlier today, Redbox sent out a text message to people subscribed to its "Text Club,” a service that allows Redbox users to receive movie/game information as well as promo codes directly from the rental company on their mobile phone. The text that I got today was neither, however, instead pointing me to a website to share my thoughts about the future of video games, a couple days before E3.

The website that it points to is Gamingfuture.net, a site put up by Redbox. On the page, it allows users to discuss about “the future of video gaming.”

“Have you heard about what’s coming? Reports say that Microsoft’s Xbox One and Sony’s PlayStation 4 might have enhanced graphics, enhanced motion control, cloud-based storage, new games and experiences. But you might not be able to play without an Internet connection, lend games freely, buy used games or rent games.”

It then encourages users to share “what excites you about the future of gaming… and what concerns you.”

Lock if old.

Adapt or die.

I suppose this is one way of adapting.

EDIT: Also, title should reflect that the PS4 is mentioned as well.

So far the only retailer that cut a deal with Microsoft is Gamestop? I expect a list in some slideshow or statement on stage by someone during the MS conference.

I was wondering what Redbox and Gamefly would respond with. This will kill their business, at least the gaming side.

smr00

Banned
Their business will take a serious hit from this, I'm not surprised they are upset.
Yeah but redbox can survive without games. They make a KILLING off blu-ray/dvd.

Gamefly however? Doomed if they don't strike some kind of deal or if MS will offer some kind of a "rental disc" or something.

NotLiquid

Shocking.

In all seriousness I'm trying to come up with another console that's had this many people outraged in such a short amount of time and I can't help but draw blanks. I'm not sure how many people will even be ready for this kind of console.

UberTag

Good for RedBox. Hopefully GameFly will join them. And naturally, gamers as a whole.

But what side will Sony choose? Will they fight alongside us or join the enemy?

kick51

Banned
Adapt or die.

I suppose this is one way of adapting.

EDIT: Also, title should reflect that the PS4 is mentioned as well.

It's their only way of "adapting" to a system that cuts them out 100%

This is good, I like it. More and more mainstream attacks on MS in the past few days.

Not surprised where is gamefly, gamestop, and blockbuster

Gamestop is talking positive about Xbone, so they're prob partnered, which isn't too surprising given their nationwide coverage.

Blockbuster is dead

Gamefly's still too busy being on suicide watch to yet formulate a counter strategy.

They already unveiled their counter-strategy: Enter the already crowded PC DD market!

I just got Bioshock Infinite for $28 from them, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I'm really surprised Gamefly hasn't said anything yet. Unless they've somehow struck a deal with Micrsoft.....

MS has already said there won't be any lending or renting at Xbone launch. Gamefly hasn't struck any deal unless renting will be in 1 month after launch or something. And even there I can see where the deal is a poison pill for Gamefly, such as rentals only activated 30 days after retail release of a new title.

RPGCrazied

I'm really surprised Gamefly hasn't said anything yet. Unless they've somehow struck a deal with Micrsoft.....

Who knows, I bet Wal-Mart wants a piece of that pie, lol. To be fair though GameFly has older system games, so this might not hurt as much. *shrug*

I'm surprised we heard nothing from Gamefly but they might be one of the MS approved stores

or maybe they all saw this coming and that's why they're all about PC DD now.

VariantX

Yeah but redbox can survive without games. They make a KILLING off blu-ray/dvd.

Gamefly however? Doomed if they don't strike some kind of deal or if MS will offer some kind of a "rental disc" or something.

There's no reason for MS to make a deal with them when they can just cut them out of the equation, and force rentals into a digital only space done from the console itself, and keep all the money anyway.

I think GF will be fine for awhile. They'll still be able to rent out PS4 and Wii U games, not to mention current gen games on 360/PS3.

Shallwhat

Banned
Unfortunate because sometimes I rent a game from Redbox for a few days just to beat it. I think I spent like 8 dollars to complete InFamous 2.

Minions

If I was Redbox/Gamefly I'd be promoting whatever consoles have used games like crazy. I'd even advertise against the console(s) that don't.

"Love your Gamefly subscription? Purchase a PS4 or Nintendo Wii-U. Xbox One no longer supports games, and requires a internet connection every 24 hours."

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Adapt or die.

There's no way to adapt to what Microsoft is doing without Microsoft making sure they get a piece of the pie. In theory MS could release rental versions of their games and team up with Gamefly or RedBox to keep a registration trial going (ie, when you put the game is the console views it a a rental and RedBox communicates with MS about who rented the game, when the game was returned, and so on).

They're going to lose money on this no matter how it goes.

Zabant

This move by microsoft threatens their entire business model. If anything their comments so far have been tame.

DoomGyver

Shocking.

In all seriousness I'm trying to come up with another console that's had this many people outraged in such a short amount of time and I can't help but draw blanks. I'm not sure how many people will even be ready for this kind of console.

Makes me wonder if we're gonna have a streaker/protester during the MS E3 conference.

Darryl

Banned
ebay and redbox both have a lot to lose with this, i would not be surprised at all if they begin throwing increasingly larger weight around as time goes on

FlyFaster

I think it's great that RedBox is taking a stand. Someone needs to.

I love Redbox, it's brought me nothing but great times at affordable prices. Also, the very very few times a disc has been scratched or not worked properly they didn't ask any questions, just got my email and sent me 2 free codes. One to make up for the damage rental and another to rent something else.

A great company imo.

It would be cool if they didn't stock MS games this gen (assuming Sony doesn't have DRM). That would be so funny (read: awesome) to me.

edit:

Hey Redbox, Wii U has discs you could rent to me. Why dont you rent those?

They do and I have.

Top Bottom