• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

New thread? Sigh. PS3 never gets anything exclusive to itself. All i see now is mostly wii/360 covers.

The fuck is this shit?

Stump, you could've at least left the old thread open and let the 360/wii wolves have this one.

Being a little dramatic

U2NUMB

Kung Fu Grip said:
New thread? Sigh. PS3 never gets anything exclusive to itself. All i see now is mostly wii/360 covers.

The fuck is this shit?

Stump, you could've at least left the old thread open and let the 360/wii wolves have this one.

Being a little dramatic

Really? Look at the first page.. nearly twice as many PS3 covers as the other consoles. I do not own a wii, yet I love what custom art has been made. Not sure why you can not just appreciate cool custom art no matter what console it is for.

Kung Fu Grip said:

The fuck is this shit?

Being a little dramatic
The old PS3 cover thread only became active again recently due to multiplatform and non-PS3 box arts being posted.

U2NUMB said:
Really? Look at the first page.. nearly twice as many PS3 covers as the other consoles. I do not own a wii, yet I love what custom art has been made. Not sure why you can not just appreciate cool custom art no matter what console it is for.
Because im a fanboy.

Watch number of 360 covers reach much higher than the PS3. Then i have to worry about 360 having a higher number over PS3 in terms of covers too?

Fuck you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Edit: To make this absolutely clear, the ban is not related to asking for a PS3 exclusive thread. Users can and should feel free to express their opinions about thread-related stuff.

Kung Fu Grip said:
New thread? Sigh. PS3 never gets anything exclusive to itself.

Nor should it, nor should any system. The only reason why we have any system exclusive threads are because they cover topics that literally can't be covered in multiplatform threads (for example, the weekly PSN thread or monthly Nintendo Downloads threads). GAF is a forum made for discussing gaming, not for discussing any one gaming company. It's actually too bad that we have as little crossover as we do, the forum would be a better place if some of the specific per-game or per-series or per-console cliques socialized a little more ;)

I mentioned several key reasons in the other thread for this one:
1) The thread was originally made in 2009 for the purpose of taking pre-Slim PS3 games and making post-Slim style box art for them. Not custom box art. Not minimalist box art. So the threads contents for the last year or so did not match the title or OP.

2) The first page or so had mostly broken image links and the OP did not catalogue or summarize anything. I wanted the OP to do that.

3) Although the other thread had 360 custom covers, it was not reflected in the title or first page, so people were doing work that was going unnoticed by people who skipped over the thread. Also, other systems do have a need for custom covers.

Hope this helps explain my perspective.

If not, though, there are many PS3-specific forums online. Sony has official PS3 forums. There's PS3Forums. I'd say GameSpot/GameFAQs have system-specific forums. I'm not sure where else. I'm not saying this to be insulting--I'm seriously suggesting that if you're looking for a 100% pure Sony experience, you can find it out there, but it's not and won't ever be here. Another alternative would be to add anyone who posts non-PS3 covers to your ignore list (assuming you don't frequent any other threads with most of these guys), or to navigate the thread using the text indexes in the OP.

RedSwirl

enzo_gt said:
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Marvel Edition)

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom Edition)

The text was inspired by another MvC3 piece, but I can't seem to find it atm.

Possible to do PS3 versions of these?

MYE

Kung Fu Grip said:
Because im a fanboy.

Watch number of 360 covers reach much higher than the PS3. Then i have to worry about 360 having a higher number over PS3 in terms of covers too?

Fuck you.

:lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RedSwirl said:
Possible to do PS3 versions of these?
I can't find the nice white PS3 minimalist template anywhere, could you point me in the right direction? If you can I'd gladly do PS3 versions.

One more per request in the Halo thread:

Halo Reach (Minimal Spine):

enzo_gt said:
I can't find the nice white PS3 minimalist template anywhere, could you point me in the right direction? If you can I'd gladly do PS3 versions.

The ps3 template I got from the old thread had both bars and minimal. You just have to swap off the normal layers and swap on the clean ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
enzo_gt said:

The link is in the OP as "PS3 | Combo":
http://www.mediafire.com/?omwjmdmonji

Uncheck the regular front and back logo layers and the region layer, and check the "minimal" back and front layers. Can't remember the exact names, but it'll be clear if you look at the layer names :)

I edited the OP to make this clearer, I can see how you wouldn't notice that at first glance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
corrosivefrost said:
The ps3 template I got from the old thread had both bars and minimal. You just have to swap off the normal layers and swap on the clean ones.
Stumpokapow said:
The link is in the OP as "PS3 | Combo":
http://www.mediafire.com/?omwjmdmonji

Uncheck the regular front and back logo layers and the region layer, and check the "minimal" back and front layers. Can't remember the exact names, but it'll be clear if you look at the layer names :)

I edited the OP to make this clearer, I can see how you wouldn't notice that at first glance.
Thanks to both of you!

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Marvel Edition) for PS3:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom Edition) for PS3:

Girsej

Anyone have any tips how to easily make the background behind a logo transparent so that the logo still looks ok?

Girsej said:
Anyone have any tips how to easily make the background behind a logo transparent so that the logo still looks ok?

Easiest way is to search google for <game> "logo png".
There's a good chance someone already cut it out for you -- PNGs are like higher quality GIFs in a sense, where they support transparency (but don't compress the fuck out of it) ^_^

If the logo you REALLY want isn't available, use the Path/Pen tool in Gimp/Photoshop. You can use it to select the outline of your logo by clicking on each point along the lines (you'll need a lot of clicks to get curves but minimal clicks for straight lines). Once you've gotten it selected, you can cut it and paste into a new layer or whatever you find easiest.

Oh man, as if I didn't want Catherine bad enough already. That cover is AMAZING, and when I eventually (read: hopefully) get the game I'll be printing that out.

Girsej

corrosivefrost said:
Easiest way is to search google for <game> "logo png".
There's a good chance someone already cut it out for you -- PNGs are like higher quality GIFs in a sense, where they support transparency (but don't compress the fuck out of it) ^_^

If the logo you REALLY want isn't available, use the Path/Pen tool in Gimp/Photoshop. You can use it to select the outline of your logo by clicking on each point along the lines (you'll need a lot of clicks to get curves but minimal clicks for straight lines). Once you've gotten it selected, you can cut it and paste into a new layer or whatever you find easiest.

Hmm, I tried getting transparent or single color backgrounds. The ones with color I used Select/Color Range and fiddled until it looked good. After that I added and outer glow to cover up any eventual deficiencies. I'll upload what I've done soonish so some feedback on those would be nice.

Tried printing one out, turned out as a tiny square in the corner :lol

Anyone know any good places in the UK to print these out? With the glossy paper?

Threw together a Fallout: New Vegas cover for 360 and PS3.

Download Link

Qhp7i.png

MYE

AbsoluteZero said:
Just a quickie. Nitpick away!

http://i.imgur.com/nYbyGl.jpg[IMG]

I tried using the 3D box and action but the spine doesn't align properly.[/QUOTE]

Do it manually.

Right click > Free Transform

Girsej

Ok, so I've tried to make a few covers as well. I went for some less popular games since people who are way better than me will most likely do the popular ones anyway.

This is my first try so please give feedback!

EDIT: Update the last boxart, missed the title on the spine.

You know what I'd love to see? A really freaking sweet Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 cover. At least the cover would look nice and I wouldn't feel so bad about having it.

Any takers?

Girsej if you're looking for advice, I would say to remember to frame the action on the front cover. A big image that spills over to the back cover is nice, but very rarely are you going to be looking at the case folded wide open with the art facing toward you. Ideally the focus of the art should be framed nicely on the front cover, which is what you'll be seeing 90% of the time, with the back cover considered a bonus.

Niks

Requesting a GT5 cover.
Although the original cover is pretty good, Id love to see what GAF comes up with.

Girsej

BrodiemanTTR said:
Girsej if you're looking for advice, I would say to remember to frame the action on the front cover. A big image that spills over to the back cover is nice, but very rarely are you going to be looking at the case folded wide open with the art facing toward you. Ideally the focus of the art should be framed nicely on the front cover, which is what you'll be seeing 90% of the time, with the back cover considered a bonus.

Yeah, I tried to find images that had its focus on one side but that was when I found the problem with less popular games... very slim pickings on the image front :(
I thought that then they at least have a custom cover, even if it's not as awesome as the others ;D

Niks said:
Requesting a GT5 cover.
Although the original cover is pretty good, Id love to see what GAF comes up with.

Guys please look at the index starting @ post #2...it was a lot of work to make it ._.

Rengoku

Hey guys, since theres some demand for it, here is the new version of the 3D Previews Box Converter. This time, it includes support for Batch Processing. Please test it out and let me know if there are any issues getting the script to run. Instructions are included within the Zip file.

Please note, you still need to have Adobe Photoshop for these scripts to work. They were tested and working fine on CS5, please let me know if they work on older versions as well.

Xbox 360 & PC 3D Box Converter

PS3 & Wii 3D Box Converter

If demosthenes could update the OP with this info, that would be much appreciated :)
PSP & DS still to come...

KingK

Slightly off topic, but looking at all of the awesome Demon's Souls covers reminds me that I've yet to play that game.

RDreamer

Rengoku said:
Please note, you still need to have Adobe Photoshop for these scripts to work. They were tested and working fine on CS5, please let me know if they work on older versions as well.

The older scripts work fine in Photoshop CS3, except for that bottom reflection it seems. If you look up at my other covers they didn't seem to work too well.

Since I forgot the side logo, you can download the updated and (hopefully) final PS3 Catherine covers here

Z2fNx.png

b2aWf.png

xPCQ4.png

EsjaV.png

EDIT: Since this is in the OP and the 360 ones aren't here:

For those of you on 360:
QojT6.png

All the above covers are in that pack for 360. I just didn't want to put up 4 more Catherine images.

Rengoku

RDreamer said:
The older scripts work fine in Photoshop CS3, except for that bottom reflection it seems. If you look up at my other covers they didn't seem to work too well.

Hmm, I've heard of this happening before, have you tried applying the mask on the reflection layer before saving it as a png? Does that make any difference?

RDreamer

And for those of you on 360:
QojT6.png

All the above covers are in that pack for 360. I just didn't want to put up 4 more Catherine images.

Rengoku said:
Hmm, I've heard of this happening before, have you tried applying the mask on the reflection layer before saving it as a png? Does that make any difference?

I haven't. I guess I'll check that out. How would that work with the new scripts, since that saves automatically? As you can see here the reflection comes out funky.

Rengoku

RDreamer said:
I haven't. I guess I'll check that out. How would that work with the new scripts, since that saves automatically? As you can see here the reflection comes out funky.

Does it look funky while in the PSD? or is it only after you save it to png that you get that weird effect?
If it turns out that applying the layer mask is the solution, then I can easily add that to the new scripts.

RDreamer

Rengoku said:
Does it look funky while in the PSD? or is it only after you save it to png that you get that weird effect?
If it turns out that applying the layer mask is the solution, then I can easily add that to the new scripts.

Looks funky while in the PSD. Seems like the fade goes the wrong way for some reason.

Top Bottom