• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
People with agendas will always find something. I still have to hear about how Brandon Routh is a much better Superman than Cavill from some friends.

Well he is. Because he was given a far more endearing superman than cavill's. The latter never got a chance to show any charm in 2 damn movies. It's not Henrys fault but they write his superman as Waaay too stoic.

I hope his personality in Justice League changes.

Ahasverus

Well he is. Because he was given a far more endearing superman than cavill's. .
??? I can't. I literally can't. He was a blank page, deliberately made to project our SuperGod into him. He's not a real character. Or maybe he is, a creeper and a stalker, that's what his character was writen as.

??? I can't. I literally can't. He was a blank page, deliberately made to project our SuperGod into him. He's not a real character. Or maybe he is, a creeper and a stalker, that's what his character was writen as.

Wuuuuut. You're taking about Man of Steel right? Blank page. Lmao. I know returns was kinda dull but the blind hate for every element of it is absurd.

Routh talking to the plane passengers >>>> whatever Cavill said to the public in Man of Steel.

That's the superman that makes me want to read his comics and watch more stuff of his. Not the mute ken doll that Cavill has been. His Clark is a different story. They gave him more to do in BvS. But his superman is just whatever.

bryanee

Sure was endearing when he was stalking Lois, watching her every move and then breaking into the kids room at night.

IconGrist

There were elements of a great Superman in Routh's version but was ultimately let down by some terrible decision making in the written direction. And what's funny is in Routh's best scenes he had no lines. They were literally him lifting things. The plane, the ship, the car, the kryptonite island, the shuttle, the DP globe. Not to say he's a bad actor but he wasn't given anything to decent to say. It ranged from average dialogue to awful ("I'm still Superman!").

And talking to the plane passengers was literally word for word what Reeve Superman said to Lois and basically the gist of what he said to some people in Superman IV but about the subway system.

Man I'm so on the opposite of y'all with this. Are you guys satisfied with this superman so far? Aside from the look he's been bland as cardboard in the suit.

This character is supposed to be at the forefront of the Justice League. Dude should be dcs biggest character but he's fallen behind for so long. And snyder's characterization isn't helping the matter

And yeah that plane scene was a direct Donner homage. But it worked. These movies could have done with a little of that. It's kind of hard to root for the guy even though you're supposed to. I don't like many mcu movies but even they get the basic likeability of everybody down well.

IconGrist

Or when he let a giant parking garage explode because he wanted to see a cool explosion.

Lol we can do this all day guys. Let's not act like man of Steel had a flawless superman characterization either.

Nah, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying Routhman was nothing to brag about either.

Cavill and Routh are and were both underutilized. In terms of raw potential for the character, I'd give it Cavill. Right now he's like the Timothy Dalton of this Superman game.

Ahasverus

Man I'm so on the opposite of y'all with this. Are you guys satisfied with this superman so far? Aside from the look he's been bland as cardboard in the suit.

This character is supposed to be at the forefront of the Justice League. Dude should be dcs biggest character but he's fallen behind for so long. And snyder's characterization isn't helping the matter
Not at all. He really misses the charm and elegance of classic Superman. But Routh was almost parody.

Not at all. He really misses the charm and elegance of classic Superman. But Routh was almost parody.

Honestly I'd take the Reeves pastiche over what we've been getting. Given the same movies but with a personality swap I think audiences would respond better to it to some extent.

Snyder just seems really against nostalgia and that's cool. I can vibe with a lot of his ideas for these characters tbh. But the personality he's given superman is just a big failure (not Clark brehs. Superman specifically). Dude's likely gunning for worst justice League member if ezra and fisher pan out.

Raptor

Wuuuuut. You're taking about Man of Steel right? Blank page. Lmao. I know returns was kinda dull but the blind hate for every element of it is absurd.

Routh talking to the plane passengers >>>> whatever Cavill said to the public in Man of Steel.

That's the superman that makes me want to read his comics and watch more stuff of his. Not the mute ken doll that Cavill has been. His Clark is a different story. They gave him more to do in BvS. But his superman is just whatever.

"Ill take you without breaking you">>>>>>>>>>>All Routh performance, specially that "Im still Superman" or some corny shit like that.

IconGrist

I'm hoping what Cavill has been saying about Superman in JL is true. I have no reason to doubt him. As I recall he was pretty open about Superman not quite being Superman yet for BvS.

Oh right, I know folks dig these

DCCU OT 1 Wall of Shame
p4l0XcO.jpg

Nice, I have a job now though so I post much less often :(. On the plus side, the wait doesn't seem as agonizing anymore.

Bad news guys, apparently no expanding aspect ratio for the IMAX footage on the BvS Blu-ray, for both cuts :(

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12292851&postcount=1113

About the only thing that would make me consider getting a 4k tv and blu ray player :/.

For some reason, this new thread made me break this out today

CkOPHPfXAAEFAb8.jpg

I want a sealab 2021 like dub for superfriends. It would be a crazy hit on adult swim.

Raptor

I kidna want a Superman that acts like the one in Throne of Atlantis, I mean he is inocent, naive but not dumb at all, and doesnt like to beind bossed around.

And specially not corny.

:p

I wonder if I'm the only one in this thread who kinda likes returns lol. I'd rate it like a 6 or 7.

One of the best looking comic movies on a cinematography standpoint. Good superman/clark and lex. But really long pacing and it really needed like one action scene where he had a physical opponent tbh.

His rescue scenes were so good though. They need to throw one of those cavill's way. Not just in a montage either.

Edit: personally I found new 52 animated superman trash. Reeves and the animated series superman is GOAT for me. Looking forward to rebirth too.

Routh's Supes following the canon of Reeve's Supes makes him come off as a dick. It's confirmed Returns takes place after the first two movies, right? So basically either Supes knocked Lois up without her knowing his identity or during the one night she did before her memories got erased, he knocked her up and then skipped town.

I'm with you.

8KCyqEM.gif
I will never not hate how his pants just vanish as he removes his suit jacket.

Routh's Supes following the canon of Reeve's Supes makes him come off as a dick. It's confirmed Returns takes place after the first two movies, right? So basically either Supes knocked Lois up without her knowing his identity or during the one night she did before her memories got erased, he knocked her up and then skipped town.

I will never not hate how his pants just vanish as he removes his suit jacket.

He didn't know he knocked her up. Dude bounced when he heard about the remains of krypton being found in space. When he comes back and sees lois has a kid hes pretty shocked by it.

Poor cyclops tho. Dude was unknowingly parenting a superson.

Oh right, I know folks dig these

DCCU OT 1 Wall of Shame
p4l0XcO.jpg

Clearly, Strafer and I must team up to kill The Icon.

WATCH YO BACK BRO

I don't get DC, they think audiences will be confused by their being multiple suicide squads and thus they put the kybosh on Arrow's Suicide Squad, then they introduce Superman to Supergirl. Weird

I think it's as simple as a recent policy shift. DC Movies (or rather, WB Film) doesn't get that kind of license anymore.

Raptor

While I think is a very good filmed movie I cant help but think it looks boring for the type of movie it is, like you can imagine Bud White and Edmund Exley are somewhere there in some bar investigating some murder.

There is some incredible shots that I will never forget about that movie and is when he was descending into the fortress you can only see his siloutte descending, really love that imagery, or when he is listening in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP8dC8E6Emk

Awe inspiring indeed.

While I think is a very good filmed movie I cant help but think it looks boring for the type of movie it is, like you can imagine Bud White and Edmund Exley are somewhere there in some bar investigating some murder.

Haha nah man thats what I like so much about it. It's like the gotham tv show where it's so anachronistic with the time period. It's obviously set in modern times but some of the architecture and clothing is straight out of a 50s movie.

Ashhong

Is Suicide Squad in 3D? I got a movie screening invite to a mystery 3D "drama" from a major motion picture. Wonder if there's any chance it's SS..

Ashhong

Yes, there's a 3D version.

Then my next question is, would they be screening the 3D version? I assume the effects would still be in progress and there would be no point in that..the email does say it's expected to be rated R, but i thought that might just be a lie hehe

Ahasverus

Then my next question is, would they be screening the 3D version? I assume the effects would still be in progress and there would be no point in that..the email does say it's expected to be rated R, but i thought that might just be a lie hehe
Of course not, the 3D version is the latest thing done in a movie, because they need to allocate the budget in the right places/effects that are only in place in the final cut.

Ashhong

Of course not, the 3D version is the latest thing done in a movie, because they need to allocate the budget in the right places/effects that are only in place in the final cut.

Welp, I guess it's not SS. One of these have to be it eventually.

Ninjimbo

Well he is. Because he was given a far more endearing superman than cavill's. The latter never got a chance to show any charm in 2 damn movies. It's not Henrys fault but they write his superman as Waaay too stoic.

I hope his personality in Justice League changes.
Brandon Routh looks the part but I'll take Cavillman any day. I've never given Routh the proper chance though. Superman Returns came out and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the movie. I think Singer messed up by linking it to the Donner films. I felt like I had to watch those movies to fully appreciate SR and I haven't seen those.

I don't deny it adds to the image but the important bits are there. Batman and the people on horseback he's looking at, the Omega symbol.

but one looks like a desert and the other looks like hell on Earth. you lose something.

it was corny and forced.

And yeah that plane scene was a direct Donner homage. But it worked. These movies could have done with a little of that. It's kind of hard to root for the guy even though you're supposed to. I don't like many mcu movies but even they get the basic likeability of everybody down well.

hard for you but not for me. what I like about this Superman is that he isn't SUPERMAN yet. he's learning, he's growing, he isn't perfect, but he's trying his best.

shingi70

Banned
This thread is moving fast so far.

While not the best actor it saddens me that we only saw welling as superman in comic form.

... This is the second scene where they have Jared's actual tattoos in the shot... the fuck? They can't be fucking up this much, Jared Leto himself must be canon.

c48bd7ae4560df1c0bc9d30ab7f985d4.jpg

Do you wanna know how i got these scars. Well my brother and i were in a band and he was a mean, mean drunk. One night after being booed off stage I got depressed and he got drunk. Later he stuck a knife in my mouth and said "30 seconds to Mars is a terrible band name"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom