• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this argument so often and it never makes sense to me. Say you get hired to decide who gets into the HoF. You have to vote on the people eligible now, you cant go back and re-vote on those older players. The fact that other assholes got in shouldnt force you to vote for current assholes.

I'd vote in all the old assholes too.

The fact of the matter is that a place in the Hall is performance-based achievement. The second you start trying to arbitrate based on he-said/he-said accounts of "who are the nice guys and who are the jerks" instead of looking at the raw numbers, you lose the plot. Terrell Owens' performance on the field more than warrants his inclusion.

I see this argument so often and it never makes sense to me. Say you get hired to decide who gets into the HoF. You have to vote on the people eligible now, you cant go back and re-vote on those older players. The fact that other assholes got in shouldnt force you to vote for current assholes.

In no way should stuff like this be okay.

They are voting for other assholes now. Do you think Ray Lewis will get in? Yes TO's basically homophobic comments are reprehensible, but will that stop Tony Dungy from being celebrated?

Will they care about what Ray Lewis did?

It seems that the NFL HoF really does focus on on-field and locker room stuff. My guess would be that they wont try to re-litigate the Ray Lewis stuff, just like they didnt for Marvin Harrison. I also assume that Ray is pretty well liked so he wont have to much trouble getting people to come speak in favor of him. The HoF voter I heard on the radio today made a big deal about the fact that not one former teammate or coach would come and speak on TO's behalf.

MechDX

TO gave us a meme that will last forever!

2192148024_688d0eb741_o.gif

Damn right he should be in the HoF. WIth that said Im going to start the Sage Rosenfels for HoF campaign. Rosencopter is forever!

BigAT

This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame we're talking about. If anything, TO being a dick should make him more eligible to get enshrined.

It seems that the NFL HoF really does focus on on-field and locker room stuff. My guess would be that they wont try to re-litigate the Ray Lewis stuff, just like they didnt for Marvin Harrison. I also assume that Ray is pretty well liked so he wont have to much trouble getting people to come speak in favor of him. The HoF voter I heard on the radio today made a big deal about the fact that not one former teammate of coach would come and speak on TO's behalf.

You don't think Tony Dungy's homophobia and assertion that openly gay players would be a locker room distraction was bad for his players? You don't think it could have affected his locker room negatively? Or are we letting his production and record as a coach speak for itself?

Yes TO is probably an asshole, but if he was able to stick around long enough to have a 15 year career, how destructive could he have really been? Shouldn't we let that speak for itself too?

You don't think Tony Dungy's homophobia and assertion that openly gay players would be a locker room distraction was bad for his players? You don't think it could have affected his locker room negatively? Or are we letting his production and record as a coach speak for itself?

I said at the time I didnt think Dungy should get in. I can only guess that Dungy kept his terrible beliefs to him self when he was a HC, and didnt use them to force a team to trade him so he could get more money. You are 100% right thought other assholes have definitely gotten in and more will get in. TO does seem to be a special case in that no one who knows him likes him. So maybe the rule is you can be an asshole but dont be totally unlikable?

Jarnet87

Yes TO is probably an asshole, but if he was able to stick around long enough to have a 15 year career, how destructive could he have really been? Shouldn't we let that speak for itself too?

Teams are willing to put up with a lot of crap. We see awful players get shots on multiple teams. We see good players with lots of legal problems get opportunities. Front Offices will turn a blind eye for great players or just be naive and think they can handle a problem case.

Bill Polian weighed in on TO:

“The Hall of Fame ought to be for people who make their teams better,” Polian said, “not for those who disrupt them and make them worse.”

Tony Dungy:

By many reports, Dungy received the 5th and final Modern-Era spot for enshrinement this year, after the Selection Committee was decided on Brett Favre, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, and Kevin Greene.

Peter King offered some insight into the arguments in the room for and against Dungy. On one hand, Dungy is only 22nd all-time in wins, with a 9-10 playoff record, and only one Super Bowl. On the other hand, the arguments for Dungy were the same we mentioned on Colts UpClose. Dungy’s 10.7 wins per year is the best in NFL history, and he’s the only coach to ever take teams to the playoffs in 10 straight years.

Talk of Fame called Dungy’s selection the toughest call.

So it does sound like the voters were split on Dungy but he did get in.

MechDX

Jason Reid ‏@JReidESPN 21h21 hours ago
More
For the past couple of years, former Redskins officials who know Cousins have said he really doesn't want to be in Ashburn. He wants tag.

So Cousins doesnt want to be in Washington? If true and you are the Niners, do you trade your first for him? Tag and trade deal

Teams are willing to put up with a lot of crap. We see awful players get shots on multiple teams. We see good players with lots of legal problems get opportunities. Front Offices will turn a blind eye for great players or just be naive and think they can handle a problem case.

He wasn't an awful player though, that's the point. He was incredibly productive for his entire career. In a league where the average career lasts 3 seasons, where wideouts grow on trees, you have to be really fucking good to stick around that long, if anything the amount of baggage he had makes the case even stronger, because you have to be even better for teams to be willing to put up with it.

Tom Penny

TO would be in the hall if it was voted on by people that actually played the game or coached it but instead it comes down to people who know little about the actual game.

Breaking fake news: TO didn't make his teams better

Did he make the Eagles better the year that they were forced to bench him? Did he make the 9ers better when he was calling their QB gay and forcing a trade?

TO would be in the hall if it was voted on by people that actually played the game or coached it but instead it comes down to people who know little about the actual game.

Oh tom penny you so silly, Bill Polian doesnt know anything about football?

Bill Polian weighed in on TO:

Tony Dungy:

So it does sound like the voters were split on Dungy but he did get in.

What real evidence is there that he made his team's worse other than "feels"? His teams made the playoffs 8 times on 15 years. Calvin Johnson made the playoffs twice, but are we going to hear about how he didn't elevate his team when his HoF consideration comes up? Or will people make excuses for him because he kept his mouth shut and wasn't a primadonna? How about Larry Fitzgerald and his whopping 4 career playoff appearances?

What real evidence is there that he made his team's worse other than "feels"? His teams made the playoffs 8 times on 15 years. Calvin Johnson made the playoffs twice, but are we going to hear about how he didn't elevate his team when his HoF consideration comes up? Or will people make excuses for him because he kept his mouth shut and wasn't a primadonna? How about Larry Fitzgerald and his whopping 4 career playoff appearances?

TO played for the 9ers, a team that made a few playoffs before he even got there, then he forced a trade to the Eagles, who had made 3 straight NFC championships before he even got there. You cant seriously think he gets the credit for that stuff. How many SB's did he win as a player? Larry Fitzgerald also made a SB and that was with a team that was terrible before he got there.

Hindl

TO was a huge, selfish asshole who caused tons of problems in the Eagles 05 locker room and hurt the team.

He's also one of the best WRs of all time and should be in the HoF

Gigglepoo

I wonder how HoF voters will deal with AP. He was a great running back but he was suspended for an entire season. If they're going to punish players for negatively impacted the team, he shouldn't be allowed to wear a gold jacket.

Also, he ruptured his kid's testicle. Seems a little worse than insinuating your QB gay.

TO played for the 9ers, a team that made a few playoffs before he even got there, then he forced a trade to the Eagles, who had made 3 straight NFC championships before he even got there. You cant seriously think he gets the credit for that stuff. How many SB's did he win as a player? Larry Fitzgerald also made a SB and that was with a team that was terrible before he got there.

You are completely missing the point, I'm not giving him credit, I'm pointing out how putting it on a WR to make an entire team better is a stupid ass metric. Larry and Calvin were great receivers and even they can't singlehandedly push a team out of mediocrity. Again, even good receivers rarely stick around 15 years so if TO was so bad and destructive and such a team killer why would he have been able to? The proof is in the pudding. Despite the fact that he was an asshole and a diva, that he stuck around putting up the numbers he did tells me GMs didn't think he was all that bad.

Why don't you go look at the HOF selection committee.... Lots of players coaches and front office personal !!!

People that do in fact know the game are saying he doesnt belong as evidenced by Bill Polian. It doesnt surprise me that a Pats fan would go with the attack the media angle though.

Gigglepoo

How were the 49ers after TO left?

You are completely missing the point, I'm not giving him credit, I'm pointing out how putting it on a WR to make an entire team better is a stupid ass metric. Larry and Calvin were great receivers and even they can't singlehandedly push a team out of mediocrity. Again, even good receivers rarely stick around 15 years so if TO was so bad and destructive and such a team killer why would he have been able to? The proof is in the pudding. Despite the fact that he was an asshole and a diva, that he stuck around putting up the numbers he did tells me GMs didn't think he was all that bad.

What it should tell you is that GM's are desperate and will overlook almost anything if they think a guy can play. AP stuff his childrens mouths with leaves and beat them until they were covered in bruises. He ruptured a childs scrotum, and still the Vikings welcomed him back. What desperate GMs are willing to do to win is no metric for basing if a guy is deserving of awards after their career is done or not.

What it should tell you is that GM's are desperate and will overlook almost anything if they think a guy can play. AP stuff his childrens mouths with leaves and beat them until they were covered in bruises. He ruptured a childs scrotum, and still the Vikings welcomed him back. What desperate GMs are willing to do to win is no metric for basing if a guy is deserving of awards after their career is done or not.

Who cares? Are we going to go back and nitpick every player's candidacy based on whether they were only in the league because of "desperate GMs"? He was in the league. That happened. Those catches and yards happened. Do you not see how ridiculous the lengths you have to go to discredit what is, by nearly any metric, one of the 5-10 best and most productive careers at his position.

Who cares? Are we going to go back and nitpick every player's candidacy based on whether they were only in the league because of "desperate GMs"? He was in the league. That happened. Those catches and yards happened. Do you not see how ridiculous the lengths you have to go to discredit what is, by nearly any metric, one of the 5-10 best and most productive careers at his position.

What ridiculous lengths? A group of people got together in a room and asked should this guy get in? No one came forward to say yes, but several came forward to say no. It doesnt seem complicated at all. You are saying that numbers are all that matters, and that is one way to look at it, but other people are saying no that how you act as a player should also matter. So far the second group is winning but that could obviously change going forward. I have no doubt that there are lots of people like you who think numbers should trump everything, just like there are lots of people who are in the 2nd camp. If they keep the same group of voters every year though I dont see how he ever gets in.

BigAT

What ridiculous lengths? A group of people got together in a room and asked should this guy get in? No one came forward to say yes, but several came forward to say no. It doesnt seem complicated at all. You are saying that numbers are all that matters, and that is one way to look at it, but other people are saying no that how you act as a player should also matter. So far the second group is winning but that could obviously change going forward. I have no doubt that there are lots of people like you who think numbers should trump everything, just like there are lots of people who are in the 2nd camp. If they keep the same group of voters every year though I dont see how he ever gets in.

So you're saying the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest.

bionic77

Breaking fake news: TO didn't make his teams better
Breaking real news: Brady sold out his teammates to spend more time at the Trump white house.

God 2D looks so much better than 3D judging by those screens of the new Marvel v. Capcom. I was playing some of that last night and the 2D version is much more visually pleasing.

Why do people keep saying that? A group of people get together and weigh the merits of a person. The look at their stats and how the acted on the field/in the locker room. If it was just a straight up popularity contest then tons of guys who didnt get in would. It took Kenny Stabler 27 years to get in, by all accounts he was a popular guy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I mean Joe Namath is in.

He's also the reason arguments over the HOF make me roll my eyes. It's not some prestigious institution that's held to an incredibly high standard. Fans know who the best players are and whether or not there's a bust in Canton doesn't mean shit - especially when there's a massive position bias in selections.

Tom Penny

Perhaps because he's undeniably a Hall of Famer based on his career and the sole reason he's being kept out is because he is unpopular with the current group of voters?
His body of work isn't good enough when compared to the 4 years of production Terrell Davis had.

Perhaps because he's undeniably a Hall of Famer based on his career and the sole reason he's being kept out is because he is unpopular with the current group of voters?

Is he unpopular with the current voters, or is it that the current voters feel that his negative acts should be enough to deny him entry? Is there nothing a player could do to make them unelectable in your eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom