• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

sleepnaught

Someone please tell me how to get gold? It’s like 400G at the blacksmith. I spend until 10AM watering and barely have time to get my energy back up before 2PM after selling crops for the day.
The mines, I think level 80+ if I'm not mistaken have gold ore nodes. You take 5 gold ore with 1 coal and toss it into a furnace, which you have to craft. A few in game hours later and you'll have a gold bar. Same principle applies to Cooper, iron, quart, etc

For energy, try foraging and crafting field snacks. I think field snacks are just 1 each of Acorn, maple seed, and pinecone. You should be able to make dozens of them if you clear some forest area. They fall of trees you cut down.

Vicious

DL-hzjXUQAAtaVF.jpg

Starting to come together.

Finn

Dude, I've played hundreds of hours across the PC and PS4 versions. This is highly improbable. Normally I'd expect to see a ton of Baryte, but I have yet to see a single one. Literally only Lemon Stones for 15+ geodes straight.
I'm mostly messing with you. I've just noticed quite a few people asking if certain things are bugs when they're actually perfectly reasonable or part of the game or have an explanation. You just so happened to be the last guy to ask about a bug!

Also FWIW, something similar happened to me with a bunch of the Omni Geodes. Kept getting a particular mineral over and over and over again. Finally the last two gave me something like a stone and coal. Can't say either way if it's a bug, though.

Ventara

I'm mostly messing with you. I've just noticed quite a few people asking if certain things are bugs when they're actually perfectly reasonable or part of the game or have an explanation. You just so happened to be the last guy to ask about a bug!

Also FWIW, something similar happened to me with a bunch of the Omni Geodes. Kept getting a particular mineral over and over and over again. Finally the last two gave me something like a stone and coal. Can't say either way if it's a bug, though.

Doesn't help that the game is actually filled with bugs.

Here's a protip from a expert Stardew Valley player for all you newbies: Look up every villagers absolute favourite items and figure out how to get some of the obscure ones long before their birthdays happen. Some villagers have obscure off-season items that are unavailable to get during their birthdays.

You can get any villager to max hearts in two years if you give them their most loved items on two birthdays and if you complete the bulletin board bundles.

quabba

Interesting, thanks. Do you remember where that spot was?

Don't they charge you a random amount of money each time?

I think it was near the bridge in town (left of the blacksmith)

Here's a protip from a expert Stardew Valley player for all you newbies: Look up every villagers absolute favourite items and figure out how to get some of the obscure ones long before their birthdays happen. Some villagers have obscure off-season items that are unavailable to get during their birthdays.

You can get any villager to max hearts in two years if you give them their most loved items on two birthdays and if you complete the bulletin board bundles.

I was hoping to learn that through the game. Like when the old lady tells you her husband loves leeks. Is that feasible or do you only find out by trial and error?

Mumei

I was hoping to learn that through the game. Like when the old lady tells you her husband loves leeks. Is that feasible or do you only find out by trial and error?

You do hear other things like that from dialogue, yes. Some of it is trial and error, though, and there are generally safe options (fruits and veggies are generally at least liked, though different people have their own idiosyncrasies).

Damn, kinda jealous of all your nice farms.
I haven't bothered with aesthetic stuff at all. Patch of veg with sprinklers right outside my door, load of randomly placed coops and chests and stuff.

Now I want to start over and make it all pretty.

ramuh

Wow, that looks great!

My farm is a complete mess. Not sure what a farm is supposed to look like in the first summer.

Im in the same boat.. how much to plant/focus on mines fishing. So much stuff to figure out.
Still dont have a coop or a barn yet either, no upgrade tools.. sigh.

Played 30hrs without one hiccup, just tonight all of a sudden it keeps closing with an error everytime I go to bed. I assume my only option is to delete the game,re download, and kiss my sweet ass farm goodbye?

Cerium

Played 30hrs without one hiccup, just tonight all of a sudden it keeps closing with an error everytime I go to bed. I assume my only option is to delete the game,re download, and kiss my sweet ass farm goodbye?
I believe they're working on a patch for this; I know they were asking people who had the bug to submit other details to help them find the cause.

Wait for the patch. Plenty of people are having the problem and I haven't heard anyone saying that restarting the game prevents it from happening again.

If I go straight to bed without doing anything it will save just fine. Seems once I venture out and come back to save it closes with the error. I'll try a new save file tomorrow and hold off on reinstalling it. Thanks.

mstevens

Just finished the first few days of Fall 1 and things are going so well! This game, man. Usually the first 10 hours are fun in a game and then maybe it gets a little stale, but I think I'm having more fun now than I was at the beginning. Got to level 90 in the mines and got a sweet new sword, and I finally spent some time building sprinklers. I have 12 quality sprinklers so far that are watering 3 6x6 squares, and then two more 6x6 patches of cranberries that I'm still watering manually till I get more sprinklers. I put the farm stuff off until now and it's really starting to come together nicely.

Vicious

May I ask how you came to organize your chests, and what color corresponds with which items?

I have three chests and i can't seem to keep them themed.

from left to right:

brown - building materials (wood, stone, ore, bars, fiber, sap, etc.) also stuff from the mines like bat wings and bug meat. mainly things used for crafting.

dark green - all foraged items (except shells). mushrooms, leeks, sweet peas, etc.

light green - vegetables and fruits. i keep at least 5 of everything i grow, mainly for quests or recipes. i keep another chest inside a shed that stores fruits/vegetables and other stuff waiting to be put in kegs or preserves jars.

blue - nothing but fish

light blue - other fish. since there's so many fish, i made a chest i use for other types like crabs, lobsters, rare fish and stuff like eels. i also put extras of all the shell types and stuff like snails in here too.

black - tools and other items. other weapons, things i've crafted but haven't placed yet, bombs, seeds, extra fertilizer, etc. i have another chest inside the house for furniture items.

gold - jewels. diamonds, topaz, emeralds, etc.

I also keep a chest inside the barn for the milk pail and shears.

Ventara

Tell me what happens at this event, because she just invited me to the same thing on a festival day when it's impossible to visit her :/

Don't worry about that. Although she says today, it's one of those no-expiry-date quests, so you can just visit the next day.

We put my big slimy fish in her casserole ;D
She actually made breaded fish with it. Nothing happened except Sam being moody. Vincent didn't even make an appearance, lol.

oatmeal

Banned
People call this a dating sim but I’m giving flowers to these girls and then can’t talk to them again because it ran out of nothing to say.

Do I have to just keep buying shit?

Man with This x BoTW x Odyssey x Xenoblade im starting to think that Switch will be my most played console since the PS2. I'm glad I waited until now to jump into Stardew Valley as this game feels like it's meant to be played on the go; I'm always playing while on the train to work and sometimes while just having coffee.

Probably over 30 hours in already.

May I ask how you came to organize your chests, and what color corresponds with which items?

I have three chests and i can't seem to keep them themed.

I simply build chests near the place they're meant for (with the exception of fish). So seeds, plants, and everything farm related is next to my farm in 3 chests with a green seed chest. Ore and mining stuff is in a chest next to my furnace; with fish in the fridge and everything else in my misc. chest closest to my bed. Easy system for me so far and you can even color code to make it even easier for you.

Top Bottom